search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #101
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
they do on the way to Sunderland. From where the South Shields branch turns off, to Sunderland.
and that's the dirty mackem section too so it doesn't count.

j/k
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #102
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1688

The bit to Sunderland is the bit I was really referring to yes.
Old August 31st, 2007, 06:41 PM   #103
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

I don't think they have any major problems with it sharing tracks with National Rail services on the Sunderland line.

I'm pretty sure the Oyster Card type system is not due to be installed until phase 3 of the metro invigoration project, which doesn't start until 2018.
The upgrade to ticketing that is happening in the next couple of years is only to put new barriers in and new machines that take cards and notes.
See here for the planned phases:
http://www.nexus.org.uk/wps/wcm/conn...-invigoration/
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 06:56 PM   #104
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1688

Theres no problems at the moment no, but if they want to up frequency on that line, or change times or whatever, everything has to be done in co-ordination with Northern. That must limit the flexibility of that part of the Metro to an extent.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM   #105
tom85
The Real Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I'm pretty sure the Oyster Card type system is not due to be installed until phase 3 of the metro invigoration project, which doesn't start until 2018.
The upgrade to ticketing that is happening in the next couple of years is only to put new barriers in and new machines that take cards and notes.
See here for the planned phases:
http://www.nexus.org.uk/wps/wcm/conn...-invigoration/
I'm not sure if thats right I think the barriers will accept the new european smart cards which eventually you will be able to use anywhere in europe. Funnily enough though these are not compatable with the oyster system in London so unless they can upgrade their system they will have to completely replace the oyster system to fit with the new European smart card.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:03 AM   #106
Andrew

LOL, that'll be great if it is indeed true. Funny about London having to replace their whole system if they're going to use the Euro Smart Cards though.
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #107
Andrew

Here are some photos of Haymarket Metro station. It won't look like this much longer:

Now to the suburbs - Longbenton:

Manors:

An oldie - Monkseaton:

Last edited by Andrew; October 7th, 2007 at 02:57 AM.
Old October 7th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #108
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1198

great pics Andrew, there's quite a few old-fashioned ornate stations on the coast, Tynemouth being the best example.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #109
Nacho

Likes (Received): 254

Thanks for those.We never get enough photos of this system.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #110
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1511

I wouldn't get off at that Manors station! Is it well used?
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #111
tom85
The Real Robin Hood

Not really probably the least used of the City Centre stations, though might get busier now that the new Northumbria Campus is right next door, for people coming from Town its not really worth getting on the Metro as the amount of time you have to wait for a train is probably the same as it takes to walk, coming in though from Chilli road direction I imagin it will get quite busy with all the students and people going to the business park.
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #112
Salif

Likes (Received): 299

Used to be the site of Newcastle's second railway station with about 10 platforms. The old line from Central to Gosforth ran through the current site but has now been diverted into the underground station to provide an under used chord for metros from Manors to Jesmond (presumably for access to the airport branch).
Salif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #113
tom85
The Real Robin Hood

I was speaking to someone about that chord and apparently they used it in the mornings and an evening so that the metros could get to St James or the gosforth depo without having to go all the way round the coast. I'd like to see it used for service trains though to save people who live down the monors byker/chilli road leg of the coast loop having to change in town for airport/regents centre in a morning or evening, possibly with a new station on the chord at Sheildfield.
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #114
Salif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom85 View Post
I was speaking to someone about that chord and apparently they used it in the mornings and an evening so that the metros could get to St James or the gosforth depo without having to go all the way round the coast. I'd like to see it used for service trains though to save people who live down the monors byker/chilli road leg of the coast loop having to change in town for airport/regents centre in a morning or evening, possibly with a new station on the chord at Sheildfield.
I'm pretty sure there's still a couple of platforms on that section of line, you can see them from Sandyford Road.
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #115
tom85
The Real Robin Hood

Yes there is just next to that Indian resturant thats in an old Railway Car
Old October 11th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #116
Andrew

I don't get it, surely it can't be used. If you go on google maps and follow the track from where it goes past that Indian restaurant south towards manors, it goes along the trench in between the central motorway and the manors campus, but it reaches a dead end where it gets to manors business park car park. I can't see a way for trains to get from manors to jesmond other than going via the coast.
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #117
Salif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I don't get it, surely it can't be used. If you go on google maps and follow the track from where it goes past that Indian restaurant south towards manors, it goes along the trench in between the central motorway and the manors campus, but it reaches a dead end where it gets to manors business park car park. I can't see a way for trains to get from manors to jesmond other than going via the coast.
It doesn't reach a dead end, it goes under the business park and connects with the eastbound track at Manors station. If you're ever passing through Manors on a westbound metro take a look at the eastbound track and just as you're heading to Monument you should be able to see the junction diverging.

It's what those scissor crossovers just outside of Manors tunnel are for.
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #118
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Thanks for the metro pics, brings back memories.

Longbenton is looking good.
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #119
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salif View Post
It doesn't reach a dead end, it goes under the business park and connects with the eastbound track at Manors station. If you're ever passing through Manors on a westbound metro take a look at the eastbound track and just as you're heading to Monument you should be able to see the junction diverging.

It's what those scissor crossovers just outside of Manors tunnel are for.
Ah right, that's interesting, you learn new things all the time! Why haven't they made the most of that then? There's potential for one, possibly even two more Metro stations on that stretch of track! With the new Northumbria campus and a fair bit of new student accommodation in that area, which already has a relatively significant existing population, there must be a good case for new stations there. It seems to me to be something that could provide a lot of benefit at relatively little cost (compared to larger schemes such as trams for the west end). Stations here could also help to encourage new development in that area.
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #120
Salif

I guess it's because it's effectively a city centre avoiding line and as thus doesn't have a whole lot of demand. But as you point out with the new campus opening up there perhaps there will be demand for peak hour services from a station there to the suburbs and satellite towns and also act as a direct route from North Shields to the Airport using the old bay platform there?

The Manors mainline station could do with increased usage I reckon.

Tags
light rail, light railways, london tube, london underground, metro, metro systems, newcastle, newcastle transport, paris metro, rail, railways, the tube, trains, transport, tube, tyne & wear metro, underground