daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #121
tom85
The Real Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 0

At the moment I don't think the line between Jesmond and Manors can be used I think the power lines are missing in some places and also they are currently building some new halls right over the train lines like they did at Glenamara (which I'd like to see them do all the way down the line right up to the second road bridge on Osbourne Road surely that land is worth it? It would be perfect for Student halls right over a busy train line and next to a busy road, and would muffly the sound for the private housing behind.

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #122
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

If the number of students at Northumbria University living in Jesmond is anything like the numbers at Newcastle University then the new campus at manors should definately improve the business case for utilising that bit of track.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #123
tom85
The Real Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 0

Jesmond is pretty a 50/50 split Newcastle to Northumbria as far as I can tell. So I would imagine the demand could be there, possibly just one every 4 trains though as the City Centre stops are pretty much the only busy stops on the entire network.
Old October 13th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #124
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1210

Thursday 04 October 2007

Metro has carried more than 39 million passengers in a year for the first time since 1993.

New figures show that in the 12 months to the end of August 39.1 million passengers travelled on Metro, an 8.1% increase on the same period last year.

The number of people using Metro has now been increasing for 18 months, buoyed by the good value, frequent services and excellent reliability the network offers.

An annual Metro pass is just £399 – frozen in price since January 2005 when it was reduced from £575. That means you can travel anywhere on Metro for less than £8 a week.

Successful marketing campaigns have also seen a growth in the number of people buying DaySaver tickets for work and leisure travel as well as Gold Cards for pensioners and disabled passengers.

Metro Director Mick Carbro said: "Metro offers excellent value and great convenience – that’s why passenger numbers are at their highest for 15 years.

"You will struggle to match the reliability and price Metro offers anywhere else in the country, and people in Tyne and Wear recognise that and see Metro as their first choice mode of transport.

"People are using Metro more and more for summer days out and leisure travel, which has boosted passenger numbers alongside the steady growth in commuters."

Nexus Director General Bernard Garner said: "A lot of hard work has gone in to making Metro a better service and this is reflected in the steady growth in passenger numbers.

"Metro is vital to the local economy and the growth in passenger numbers shows how important it is in reducing congestion and carbon use.

"The growth in passenger numbers is the best possible argument for new investment, as we and the Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Authority make our case for Metro Re-invigoration over the next 20 years."

Nexus announced earlier this year that Metro punctuality and reliability were on track to be higher than on any comparable rail network in mainland Britain.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #125
Andrew

That's an interesting article, and quite positive (though I presume its from Nexus' website so it's gonna be positive). Anyway, I can't wait to see some of the changes taking place on the Metro. Can anyone confirm if any work has started on the Haymarket station development yet? Or if they've started trialling or installing new ticket machines or barriers?
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #126
johnnypd

the work has started as they shut down the station on sundays, they began taking interior panels apparently, stuff likes roofs, fixtures, platform walls etc.

a link to an article about the ticketing http://www.nexus.org.uk/wps/wcm/conn...icket+machines.
Old October 17th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #127
johnnypd

With all the talk of various crossrails in other threads, here is an idea i came up with for a tyne and wear crossrail. there's more stations south of the tyne as these some of these areas aren't currently served by light rail or the metro, so it is a good opportunity to link them up, while saving the northern portion for express routes. haven't included sunderland in this yet, nor an express route to the airport, but they would also be included, along with perhaps including the Ryton-Metro-centre NR line, while a westward loop to take in the west end of newcastle would be an extension to the metro proper. input from the likes of salif would be appreciated. particularly about what Metro station trains coming from cramlington and beyond would link into, i think it is Northumberland Park, but i'm not sure

Last edited by johnnypd; October 17th, 2007 at 04:41 AM.
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #128
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Awesome idea. The area around Ashington/blythe/bedlington is desperate for mass transit. Too bad the people coming out of those towns are quite undesirable though.
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #129
Salif

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Awesome idea. The area around Ashington/blythe/bedlington is desperate for mass transit. Too bad the people coming out of those towns are quite undesirable though.
Beg your pardon?

There's over 70,000 living in those towns and you choose to slag them all off when the vast majority of them are good hard working people.

You arrogant pompous sod, I guess you're just living up to your signature.

Btw Blyth doesn't have an 'e' in it.

Last edited by Salif; October 17th, 2007 at 01:52 PM.
Salif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #130
Salif

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
With all the talk of various crossrails in other threads, here is an idea i came up with for a tyne and wear crossrail. there's more stations south of the tyne as these some of these areas aren't currently served by light rail or the metro, so it is a good opportunity to link them up, while saving the northern portion for express routes. haven't included sunderland in this yet, nor an express route to the airport, but they would also be included, along with perhaps including the Ryton-Metro-centre NR line, while a westward loop to take in the west end of newcastle would be an extension to the metro proper. input from the likes of salif would be appreciated. particularly about what Metro station trains coming from cramlington and beyond would link into, i think it is Northumberland Park, but i'm not sure

Would be a bit out of the way serving Cramlington from Northumberland Park.

Would like to see a line serving the towns alongside the ECML towards Cramlington and a link from Cramlington to Blyth, Bedlington, Ashington and Morpeth.
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #131
johnnypd

^the existing line that goes through Seghill up to Wansbeck Valley joins the metro at Northumberland Park. the plans to establish rail link from Blyth to Newcastle would run from Northumberland Park, which apparently was one of the reasons for opening the station. Instead of curving east to go towards the coast, the line could curve west to go up to Cramlington.
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #132
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salif View Post
Beg your pardon?

There's over 70,000 living in those towns and you choose to slag them all off when the vast majority of them are good hard working people.

ROFLMAO.

Calm down princess. Didn't mean to offend.
And from my experiences in those towns, the vast (and I mean VAST) majority of those people look as though they could be carrying any number of diseases.
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #133
Salif

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
ROFLMAO.

Calm down princess. Didn't mean to offend.
And from my experiences in those towns, the vast (and I mean VAST) majority of those people look as though they could be carrying any number of diseases.
Sounds like that's more to do with you then, maybe you just inspire that sort of look in people?
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #134
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Whats up with the metro? Apparently it is fecked today?
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #135
johnnypd

Mine shaft collapse halts Metro
Mineshaft at Northumberland Park station
Engineers are trying to establish the extent of the mineshaft
Major disruption has been caused to the Tyne and Wear Metro system after an old mine shaft collapsed near a station.

A train driver spotted the hole near the track at Northumberland Park, North Tyneside, on Wednesday evening.

All services have been suspended on a 2.5 mile (4km) stretch of track between Benton and Shiremoor.

The suspension is expected to be in place until Friday and replacement bus services are in operation between Four Lane Ends and Shiremoor.

Engineers are trying to establish the extent of the damage, according to Tyne and Wear Metro operator Nexus.

Speaking on Thursday morning, spokesman Huw Lewis said: "We know it's about six-feet wide and it's right beside the Metro line. At the moment, we don't know how deep it goes or how far it runs from the opening.

"Engineers brought in from the Midlands overnight are exploring, so that so we can find out what's needed to put things right."

Mick Carbro, director of Metro, added: "I want to apologise to passengers for the disruption they are suffering, but we have to close this stretch of line while we investigate the subsidence and make the track completely safe.

"My staff are concentrating on two things - making sure we get Metro back to normal as soon as possible, and providing the best possible alternative travel in the meantime."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ne/7050363.stm
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #136
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salif View Post
Beg your pardon?

Blyth has lots of 'e' in it, only £2 a tablet
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #137
Salif

*cough*£1.50*cough*
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #138
Salif

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
Speaking on Thursday morning, spokesman Huw Lewis said: "We know it's about six-feet wide and it's right beside the Metro line.
That's some brilliant in-depth analysis going on there.
Old October 20th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #139
Andrew

Here comes the next set of photos...

Inside a Metro carriage:

Monument Metro station entrance from the top of... Monument:

And inside Monument station:

Next... North Shields:

A pretty interesting new station - Nortumberland Park:

There's more... I'll post them after a bit more discussion.
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM   #140
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

Although a good new station Northumberland Park is a right pain in the arse If you are travelling from the coast to town and back again as its 2 extra stops on the round trip !!!
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
light rail, light railways, london tube, london underground, metro, metro systems, newcastle, newcastle transport, paris metro, rail, railways, the tube, trains, transport, tube, tyne & wear metro, underground