search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM   #41
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
The stadium has character which is more than can be said for a huge majority of stadiums these days.
Well said. It's got more character than any new build stadium built in the football league of late. Eastlands in Manchester's a quirky design but I'd rather go and watch football in St. James Park. It's such an impressive building.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:20 AM   #42
TSRJames
Low level nuclear strike

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin007 View Post
Well said. It's got more character than any new build stadium built in the football league of late. Eastlands in Manchester's a quirky design but I'd rather go and watch football in St. James Park. It's such an impressive building.
Why would you want to watch NUFC? Seen better football when Leeds played Gillingham last year?

Seriously though, i agree about St. James Park. It's a proper football stadium - one with a soul and a history. It even still has (a version of anyway) the correct football ground layout - four stands join together with corners. I hope we never loose all the historic venues in the country for prefabricated, flat-pack, oval shaped, athletic-style bowls called stadiums.

"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR.2 simply got the first three right." - Sir Sydney Camm

"Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result" - James May
TSRJames no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:35 PM   #43
Chorley Boi

yeah sjp is one of the most impressive stadiums ive ever been to and there is a lot of character to look at, anfield is too small and in too much of a resi area, goodison is decripid
Chorley Boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM   #44
Schmeek

Likes (Received): 1

Goodison is the godfather of all football stadia. In the whole world. It oozes charm, character, history and is quintessentially English. And at 40,000, is about the peak capacity for viewing a football match IMO. It will be a very very sad day the day this is pulled down. We can't afford to lose all these great relics.
Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM   #45
TSRJames
Low level nuclear strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
Goodison is the godfather of all football stadia. In the whole world. It oozes charm, character, history and is quintessentially English. And at 40,000, is about the peak capacity for viewing a football match IMO. It will be a very very sad day the day this is pulled down. We can't afford to lose all these great relics.
Its not as good as Elland Road!! I really like Goodison. I've been a few times and i agree with your description of it.

"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR.2 simply got the first three right." - Sir Sydney Camm

"Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result" - James May
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:13 PM   #46
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSRJames View Post
Why would you want to watch NUFC? Seen better football when Leeds played Gillingham last year?
I've seen better football when I used to have a Shrewsbury Town season ticket! 4-3s, 5-2s etc games are quite common in the lower leagues!
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #47
matthemod

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Why Gillingham! You could have picked Cheltenham, or Port Vale or a number of other crap teams! We seem to be one of those teams people like to rip on, like the way no-one wants to go to "Grimsby on a tuesday night in February".

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #48
TSRJames
Low level nuclear strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
Why Gillingham! You could have picked Cheltenham, or Port Vale or a number of other crap teams! We seem to be one of those teams people like to rip on, like the way no-one wants to go to "Grimsby on a tuesday night in February".
It was just the final league game of the season last year, nothing personal against the club -included a couple of good goals! Anyway, Cheltenham did the double of us.

Although that chairman of yours Scally is a bit of a prat! I understand from speaking to a couple of Gills after the match at Elland Road, that you guys don't like him either - not suprising really with his history of decision making at the Gills - outspoken about relocation and Tony Pulis' dismissal straight after the play-off final.

Old October 24th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #49
Bay City
In the brig

Quote:
Goodison was the world's first purpose built football ground. All others were based on it. It was the only ground ever to have four double decked stands (balconies), being the natural choice for the 1966 world cup semi-final. It was first to have a double-decked stand in 1906.

I recall as a kid a bunch of Leeds Utd fans who had just walked in for the first time and were constantly looking around saying to themselves, "wow, I wish we had something like this".

Below Goodison Park in 1957. The large stand was built in 1909 and demolished in 69, still being one of the best stands in the country when pulled down. The floodlights were gigantic to get over the high double-decked stands.
[IMG]http://i35.************/11mc9xd.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Bay City; October 24th, 2008 at 01:06 PM.
Bay City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #50
matthemod

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Although that chairman of yours Scally is a bit of a prat! I understand from speaking to a couple of Gills after the match at Elland Road, that you guys don't like him either
Oh very much so, I think if anyone should be able to understand what it's like to have an unwanted twattish owner it's Leeds! He's polarising support, calling those who disapprove of him "not loyal fans" and oh yeah, he's just sold our own asset, our ground, to himself. He's now moved to Dubai to "look for investors"...while probably enjoying a margherita now and then while we trounce around in the basement division. Anyway I could go on for hours and this thread has been taken off topic enough I feel!

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #51
Bay City
In the brig

Quote:
It is amazing the architectural students from around the world who visit Goodison Park to see the place before it is demolished.
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #52
Bay City
In the brig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
City's fans have never deserted the club unlike:

Newcastle
Leeds
Aston Villa

With the cash I think they will be the second biggest club in the land.

Re Liverpool....I missed them off because I think they have structural issues which will sadly see there eventual fall from power.... no chance of a new stadium so they cannot compete with United/Arsenal and they have no cash to compete with City/Chelsea....as soon as champions league football disappears the decline will be scary.

Shame, because they are better than the muppets at Chelsea by a long chalk.
Liverpool are the biggest club in the world. Their web sites have more hits than any other club from around the world, etc, etc. They are the most marketable club in the TV age,

BTW, I am an Evertonian.
Old October 25th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #53
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
...We seem to be one of those teams people like to rip on, like the way no-one wants to go to "Grimsby on a tuesday night in February".
Apart from following your football team there, why on earth would anyone wish to visit Grimsby on a tuesday night in February anyway?
KiwiBrit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #54
Immunda Leodis

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay City View Post
Goodison was the world's first purpose built football ground. All others were based on it. It was the only ground ever to have four double decked stands (balconies), being the natural choice for the 1966 world cup semi-final. It was first to have a double-decked stand in 1906.

I recall as a kid a bunch of Leeds Utd fans who had just walked in for the first time and were constantly looking around saying to themselves, "wow, I wish we had something like this".

Below Goodison Park in 1957. The large stand was built in 1909 and demolished in 69, still being one of the best stands in the country when pulled down. The floodlights were gigantic to get over the high double-decked stands.
[IMG]http://i35.************/11mc9xd.jpg[/IMG]
But not as big as the ones at Leeds which were the tallest in Europe. It's such a shame we decided to get rid of them when we rebuilt the Lowfields!!!
Immunda Leodis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #55
cooperman

Likes (Received): 3

if you click on the link below you'll see some fantastic pictures of the old main stand and new together side-by-side at Goodison, as they built the new stand in two halves...

http://www.mirrorpix.com/fotoweb/Ima...n%20and%20park
cooperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #56
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Brilliant photos! That stand doesn't look safe... it's got such unusual proportions.
Old October 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #57
Scarecrow
Fugly

Likes (Received): 2041

Gherkin, it's because John Moores' was a short-sighted tight-arse. Instead of buying up land around Goodison to build a proper stand, or simply building a new ground elsewhere, JM decided on the cheaper option of building that ungainly mess to cram as many people onto as small a patch of land as possible. Hence the vast amount of pillars and lack of amenities such as exec boxes etc. It was the largest stand in the country when built, shortly surpassed by the main stand at Stamford Bridge.

Which one do you think has best stood the test of time?
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #58
JimB

Likes (Received): 4589

Quote:
Character? History? Maybe.

But it's still a crap ground in which to watch football. At least, it certainly is from the Bullen stand lower tier. The views from there, unless you are in the first ten rows or so, are quite simply the worst in the Premiership by a considerable margin.

For me, one of the pleasures of attending a live match is the experience of drinking in the whole stadium in one panoramic sweep. There may be 60,000 others around you but you feel intimately connected to each and every one of them. You are all protagonists on a grand stage. Each of you feels the ebb and flow of the game and emotions are transmitted from person to person, just as synapses transmit messages from one neuron to another along the body's nervous system.

But you lose that experience completely from many seats at Goodison. The rake of the Bullen Road upper tier above you cuts off all but the pitch from view. You can see almost nothing of the other side of the stadium. Even worse, you can only really hear the few hundred people immediately around you. You feel entirely detached from the remaining 36,000 odd in the stadium. There is no sense of a shared experience. Furthermore, if (as inevitably often happens) the people in front of you stand up, your view is even more impaired and you feel even more disconnected. I won't even bother to discuss the plethora of posts and pillars.

Character, charm and history are all very well - but not at the expense of the overall experience of watching football. And these days, with the economic meltdown starting to bite and with football ticket prices still being ridiculously high, the view on offer at Goodison is simply not Goodenough.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #59
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Which one do you think has best stood the test of time?
I presume that was rhetorical, but you can't argue against Everton's main stand being more interesting. I'm amazed it's still standing. A few fans jumping up and down in a goal celebration would surely cause the thing to fall down onto the stands below... It looks a lot more fun than Chelsea's!
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #60
JimB

Likes (Received): 4589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin007 View Post
I presume that was rhetorical, but you can't argue against Everton's main stand being more interesting. I'm amazed it's still standing. A few fans jumping up and down in a goal celebration would surely cause the thing to fall down onto the stands below... It looks a lot more fun than Chelsea's!
I think the stand that you're referring to was knocked down and replaced by this:

http://www.sunwing.co.jp/MatchOfTheD...odisonPark.jpg

My bad....I've just realised that you were referring to the linked pictures of the construction of the current stand.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, historic newcastle, history, newcastle, newcastle sport, newcastle united, north east sport, rugby, soccer, sport, sports, sports stadia, sports stadium, st james' park, stadium, stadiums