search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area > Liverpool Construction Projects

Liverpool Construction Projects Developments being built on Merseyside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #61
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Likes (Received): 2

You can tell that the people who write for TMNW newspapers aren't from Liverpool - Otterspool attraction indeed. Unless, of course, 'Otterspool' now includes Fulwood Park and St Michael's - you never know.

On a brighter note, anything that tidies this place up has to be a positive.

Good news
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #62
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 12277

When the housing market started to collapse, followed by David McClean, I became rather resigned to the fact that the Garden Festival site would remain derelict for several more years yet. Although not giving a specific timescale, the above article does hint that work will start on the restoration element sooner rather than later, so this is really positive news.
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #63
kat2

Likes (Received): 84

it will be interesting to see how this pans out, during interviews on the news today lots of people wanted the site open for nothing? whos going to pay for the upkeep of the garden festival site? dont you think its a bad idea to build the park first then the housing later? wont it be open to vandalism if they do it this way around?
look at how many theme parks have closed I dont think this has really been thought through.
kat
kat2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #64
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 2939

The housing will pay for it in the long term I guess, but the first 5 years of its life will be paid for by the moneys already mentioned.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #65
HollyBlack

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat2 View Post
...wont it be open to vandalism if they do it this way around? ... kat
That was my thought too.

Well perhaps a volunteer organisation will spring up to patrol the place and summon the cops when something untoward is spotted. And maybe these days it is cheap to install surveillance hardware as part of a renovation.
HollyBlack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #66
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 12277

I'm not sure how the Garden Festival site would be any more susceptible to vandalism of its features than any other park and garden in the city is. Indeed, depending on whether they keep the perimeter fence, it may remain possible to secure the grounds after hours, adding a means of protection few other parks and gardens in the city have.
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #67
Evertonian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Build a little hut for Purple Aki down there and have him as caretaker. The kids would soon leave the place alone!
Evertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #68
boychild

Likes (Received): 250

[QUOTE=Chris B;41823390]I'm not sure how the Garden Festival site would be any more susceptible to vandalism of its features than any other park and garden in the city is QUOTE]

Exactly!
boychild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #69
Ged
If I come back my ISP will be contacted

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I'm not sure how the Garden Festival site would be any more susceptible to vandalism of its features than any other park and garden in the city is. Indeed, depending on whether they keep the perimeter fence, it may remain possible to secure the grounds after hours, adding a means of protection few other parks and gardens in the city have.

Its Liverpool though mate..dont spoil the Image Chris of little tearaways ruining it for the outsiders...
Ged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #70
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Sefton Park palm house (a much weightier asset than anything that will be seen in the former festival gardens) seems to have survived OK since it reopened despite all the doom and gloom about how long it would last beforehand - so I suspect that some people are overstating the problem with vandalism in the city. Vandalism is a problem in specific areas within the city - it's not a significant problem citywide.
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #71
jetsetwilly

Likes (Received): 332

I would say it's in the developer's interests to keep the new park in good condition and crime free. If it became notorious for any reason, it wouldn't be as attractive when they got round to building the residences. This way, they'll have a relatively mature leisure facility right on the doorstep of their new development.

Once they've built the flats and buggered off, that's when you'll get the problems
jetsetwilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #72
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

why?
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #73
SuperLamb

I think this area doesn't need more housing and
SuperLamb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #74
Rock Savage

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLamb View Post
I think this area doesn't need more housing and
......... sorry to leave my sentence unfinished but I have a rather urgent call of nature to attend to and sqeeze one of these .... .... out!
Rock Savage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #75
SuperLamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Savage View Post
......... sorry to leave my sentence unfinished but I have a rather urgent call of nature to attend to and sqeeze one of these .... .... out!
You must be psychic! I guess I need a new body and to buy a T-shirt saying "No Hope for a new Tesco" or something more catchy
SuperLamb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM   #76
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6612

Festival garden revamp to start

Work to restore the formal gardens at the International Garden Festival site is expected to start in November, Liverpool City Council said.

The site, on the banks of the River Mersey, has been derelict for 25 years.

The council's executive board gave the go-ahead to developers Langtree to carry out the work, which should see the gardens reopened in a year.

The Northwest Regional Development Agency has offered a £2.1m grant to Langtree for restoration work.

However, in order to accept the grant changes in a development agreement between the city council and the developers had to be agreed. This included deferring a dowry, to cover maintenance costs, from Langtree for five years.

In addition to the development agency cash, the firm is also under consideration for a further £1.6m from the Northwest European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).

Council leader Warren Bradley said the gardens "should be something the city is proud of and a real asset to the community".

He added: "We want to make sure that, having secured public funding for the site, that no obstacles are put in the way of the restoration of the green spaces so we were happy to make the necessary amendments to our development agreement."

The areas which will be restored include the Chinese and Japanese gardens, lakes and associated watercourses and the woodland sculpture trails.

The Land Restoration Trust will be responsible for the management and maintenance of the park once the works are completed.

Plans for the £250m redevelopment, which also includes more than 1,300 homes, were approved after a public inquiry last year.

The 1984 International Garden Festival was billed as a "five-month pageant of horticultural excellence and spectacular entertainment".

But after the festival was over, the site changed hands a number of times and fell into disrepair.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM   #77
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

November 2009, right?

I'll be watching this one for any slippage!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM   #78
eyeam

Likes (Received): 100

I was hoping the delay would result in a redesign. Oh well.
eyeam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM   #79
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Only the gardens are being restored. There aren't any plans to start building anything in the forseeable future as far as I'm aware. If anything is ever built I doubt it will look like the original plans for this site - thank God.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:57 PM   #80
Evertonian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Only the gardens are being restored. There aren't any plans to start building anything in the forseeable future as far as I'm aware. If anything is ever built I doubt it will look like the original plans for this site - thank God.
Perfect site for as stadium and a precident set with Stanley Park.

; )
Evertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: