search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area > Liverpool Construction Projects

Liverpool Construction Projects Developments being built on Merseyside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #81
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Likes (Received): 2

Perfect site for a West Kirby / Southport style marine lake - fringed coast side with high density housing that doesn't look as though it has been imported in from an unsuccessful late 80s ski resort in the Alps.
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #82
Evertonian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

great idea pal.
Evertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #83
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 11338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Perfect site for a West Kirby / Southport style marine lake - fringed coast side with high density housing that doesn't look as though it has been imported in from an unsuccessful late 80s ski resort in the Alps.
I like the idea of a marine lake (although I suppose to some extent you could argue some of the south docks serve some of the purposes of such a facility). Anyway, wouldn't the countless tonnes of decaying landfill prevent such a feature? To be of any use, the lake would have to be a certain depth, and the last thing you want to be doing on that site is digging down too far. That said, even the proposed apartments would need foundations digging. Does anyone know what kind of depth you can dig to in the car park/dome area before you're likely to hit trouble?

As for the housing, if the plans are to be re-investigated (and for the record, I don't think there's been any suggestion of that happening at this point), I would like to see taller blocks on the rivers edge. I'm not suggesting a new cluster of talls, but having slightly taller blocks here, as well as being as far from the locals as possible, it would also reduce the density required in the car park/dome area in order to make the project financially viable, thereby allowing more greenery etc around the apartments that are built.

In the meantime, I hope last week's news article proves to be accurate, and in a year or so's time, we'll be able to explore the city's newest park.
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #84
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 2838

I live nearby so will pop around after the start date to see what progress is being made.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #85
Medici
Beppo

Likes (Received): 4

I wish someone would do something with the north end waterfront.

Since the early 80's south of the Pier Head has been transformed whilst north of it nothing has ever happened. Something must be done with Stanley dock.
Medici no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #86
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I like the idea of a marine lake (although I suppose to some extent you could argue some of the south docks serve some of the purposes of such a facility). Anyway, wouldn't the countless tonnes of decaying landfill prevent such a feature? To be of any use, the lake would have to be a certain depth, and the last thing you want to be doing on that site is digging down too far. That said, even the proposed apartments would need foundations digging. Does anyone know what kind of depth you can dig to in the car park/dome area before you're likely to hit trouble?

As for the housing, if the plans are to be re-investigated (and for the record, I don't think there's been any suggestion of that happening at this point), I would like to see taller blocks on the rivers edge. I'm not suggesting a new cluster of talls, but having slightly taller blocks here, as well as being as far from the locals as possible, it would also reduce the density required in the car park/dome area in order to make the project financially viable, thereby allowing more greenery etc around the apartments that are built.

In the meantime, I hope last week's news article proves to be accurate, and in a year or so's time, we'll be able to explore the city's newest park.
In my fantasy the marine lake is brought into being by walling in part of the river. The part of the Cast Iron Shore that is currently residential is where the old petroleum storage tanks and what not used to be - so I guess in theory that was easier to clean up. If you take a line from the end of Southwood Road to the Mersey and look southwards everything west of Riverside Drive until more or less Jericho Lane is the former rubbish tip and potentially quite hazardous. My guess is that this will never be anything other than parkland unless a thorough land de-tox is carried out.

I would like to see the whole area better integrated. I hate the residential dead zones consisting of the assorted 'Gardens' - Gardenia Gardens FFS and the lovely Moel Famau View etc

At the end of Southwood Road you used to be able to walk down steps into the river - approximately where Riverside Drive is now!
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #87
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

From the Planning Explorer -

Application Number - 09F/2356
Site Address - Former Liverpool Garden Festival Site, Riverside Drive Liverpool, L17 7HJ
Proposal - To vary 5 conditions (nos. 6, 10, 21, 102 & 100) and remove 1 condition (no.107) attached to planning permission 06O/3442 (granted by the Secretary of State on 9 July 2008) - "To erect mixed use development comprising 1374 dwellings with ancillary, retail, food and drink, office and primary care uses (Outline); to create a new public park, including restoration of the formal gardens (Full)" SO AS TO ALLOW the submission of details and commencement of development on the Phase 1 Garden Works (Oriental Gardens, Grand Access & Woodland Trails) and undertake design and boundary changes to the Bio Diversity Zone and The Hub so as to create a new Woodland Ridge Zone, prior to the submission of details on the remainder of the former Garden Festival site.
Applicant - Langtree Garden Festival Ltd
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #88
Joe the red

Likes (Received): 4

Langtree's involvement suggests a shovel will be in the ground the day after planning consent is given.
Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #89
Howie_P

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:

Langtree prepares for Garden Festival start
5 Nov 2009, 10:27

Langtree has submitted a revised detailed planning application to Liverpool City Council as it prepares to begin work on restoring gardens at the 56-acre Liverpool International Garden Festival site.

The move follows the recent granting of £2.1m by the North West Development Agency to allow the garden works to be brought forward while the large residential element remains stalled by the recession.

The application was made by the new special purpose vehicle of Langtree Garden Festival Ltd, created after buying out the stake of collapsed joint venture partner David McLean Group from the administrators.

The opening phase of the scheme will see the oriental gardens, grand access and woodland trails restored. There will also be a new woodland ridge zone, alongside the previously planned bio-diversity zone and 'the hub' of public amenities.

Langtree still hopes to deliver 1,374 apartments and town houses without having to revise plans for this residential phase, which could risk another public inquiry.

The NWDA grant will also cover maintenance of the park for five years. A separate application for £1.6m of European Regional Development Funding has been made.

Planning consent was granted by the Secretary of State in July 2008. The International Garden Festival was held in 1984 to promote the site but no development ever materialised.
Source: Place North West
Howie_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #90
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
From the Planning Explorer -

Application Number - 09F/2356
Site Address - Former Liverpool Garden Festival Site, Riverside Drive Liverpool, L17 7HJ
Proposal - To vary 5 conditions (nos. 6, 10, 21, 102 & 100) and remove 1 condition (no.107) attached to planning permission 06O/3442 (granted by the Secretary of State on 9 July 2008) - "To erect mixed use development comprising 1374 dwellings with ancillary, retail, food and drink, office and primary care uses (Outline); to create a new public park, including restoration of the formal gardens (Full)" SO AS TO ALLOW the submission of details and commencement of development on the Phase 1 Garden Works (Oriental Gardens, Grand Access & Woodland Trails) and undertake design and boundary changes to the Bio Diversity Zone and The Hub so as to create a new Woodland Ridge Zone, prior to the submission of details on the remainder of the former Garden Festival site.
Applicant - Langtree Garden Festival Ltd
The above is being recommended for approval at the Planning Commitee meeting on 1st December, subject to conditions and a legal agreement. Presumably this was fast-tracked, as it's quite unusual for an application to go from first appearing on the Planning Explorer to being put before the Planning Committee in less than a month.
Old November 20th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #91
buggedboy

That's also because nothing in terms of design etc has really changed really. All I think they asked for was a slight reorganisation of the order they have to develop the area. I think there's been a slight scaling back of what they have to do in the first phase.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM   #92
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

I'm trying to think of a word that captures my response to the above render...

Got it. Horrible, and lame, too (the words just suggest themselves).

Maybe more detailed renders might make me reappraise my position but the European mainland provides quite a few examples of building a housing estate in a parkland setting that could be drawn on. (Berlin is full of them). I understand that developers just want to get the most they can for the smallest outlay and but that's no excuse for LCC's complicity. Having waited 26 years for the site to be developed, I suspect that we could wait a bit longer for a development that makes this part of town a destination in itself - in a way that something that has all the charisma of Edge Hill's new campus doesn't.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM   #93
buggedboy

Not that fussed about the architecture to be honest. If they get the gardens developed I'd let them put Princes Dock Car Park there. The buildings are certainly a lot more attractive than the corrigated iron shed from the original festival that lots of people tried to save for some reason.

It reminds me of Keel and Lancaster Uni campuses (campi?), although as the universities with the number 1 AND 2 suicide rates in the UK, that might not necessarily be a good thing...
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM   #94
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
The buildings are certainly a lot more attractive than the corrigated iron shed from the original festival that lots of people tried to save for some reason.
I think the reason for people trying to save the Festival Dome had less to do with its architecture, and more to do with its potential. Back in the day, when the city was still crying out for an arena, this would have been a great substitute until a proper arena came along. In addition, to this day, we still need a exhibition hall, and once again the Festival Dome would have lent itself perfectly to this usage. It's a real shame the Festival Dome fell into such a state of disrepair that it had to be pulled down, as even today it could be performing a valuable service for the city.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:38 PM   #95
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 717

The festival hall was also rated as a piece of architecture by Quentin Hughes who wrote about it being best building created in Liverpool in the 1980s, or something similar.

He also commented on its similarity as a structure to the Lime Street station train sheds. It was in disrepair but its demolition is still a loss to the city, when there is next to nothing else from its era in the region worth keeping.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #96
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

I liked it. I watched it deteriorate over the years and I watched it being pulled down (like too much of Liverpool). The developers couldn't wait to be shut of it whereas restored it would have been a better building than any of the lacklustre shite that we are now promised for that site. It had echoes of the sugar silo on Regent Road. Restored and properly utilised it would have been a polished pearl set amongst uni inspired architectural dross, and would have made what is to come a tad more bearable.
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:59 AM   #97
Howie_P

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Restoration of Liverpool’s Garden Festival site takes step closer
Dec 1 2009
by David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

THE restoration of Liverpool’s former Garden Festival site is likely to move a step closer today.

Planners at Liverpool Council will be asked to approve a number of changes to the scheme, which already has planning permission.

If the changes are approved, it will lift the final hurdle for work to restore the site to begin in earnest – more than 25 years after the Garden Festival closed.

Developers Langtree are currently evaluating tenders and expect to be on site early next year.

Earlier this year, Langtree secured a funding grant of £2.1m from the Northwest Development Agency (NWDA) to help restore the gardens.

The funding will help improve the Chinese and Japanese gardens and pagodas as well as the lakes, watercourses and woodland sculpture trails.

Langtree had been working on plans for a 1,300-apartment project for the site, but partner David McLean Homes collapsed last year.

The apartment element of the scheme is on hold during the credit crunch.

The company remains “fully committed” to delivering the residential side “as soon as the market conditions allow”.

The fresh planning application involves changes to five of the conditions set down in the original plans.

Without the changes, the delivery of the parkland could not take place as come of the conditions require details of work not currently needed to re-open the park.
Continues >>
Howie_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:27 AM   #98
buggedboy

Spoke to people involved in the project tonight. They say they are going to be on site very soon (hopefully initial stuff before Xmas) and expect to open the central third of the whole site by January 2011. Then they move onto the southern grassland section, before hopefully turning their attention to the northern third, including the residential scheme.

It was at a community event in Lark Lane and the same objectors who fought this all the way were doing their usual harping on about the evils of capitalism. Iasked them to dip into their pockets to pay for the park then, although they seemed somewhat reluctant.

This group also contained many of the people who managed to cancel the opening of a xmas homeless shelter in Lark Lane and forced it to be opened on Shiel Road, away from their own private Idaho.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM   #99
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Sounds like you did some good work there BB.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:13 PM   #100
buggedboy

Oh and i also found out that LCC will take 40% of the profits from the residential development. No wonder they supported it!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: