search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #21
kieron79

Likes (Received): 3

cool that you have that image, I think the problem back then was Habitiat was a little ahead of its time for Newcastle, if it were to open today I'm sure it would do well, good furniture/homewares is something we lack in Newcastle Barker and Stonehouse is OK but all the stuff they sell you can get much cheaper on the net. Another good store that should open would be MUJI, again most large cities have these, we really need to be brought up to speed in that department.
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #22
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
cool that you have that image, I think the problem back then was Habitiat was a little ahead of its time for Newcastle, if it were to open today I'm sure it would do well, good furniture/homewares is something we lack in Newcastle Barker and Stonehouse is OK but all the stuff they sell you can get much cheaper on the net. Another good store that should open would be MUJI, again most large cities have these, we really need to be brought up to speed in that department.
It certainly did not feel ahead of its time in the 70s and 80s when it was packed out and we used to shop there. Most people I knew did shop there, and while it was regarded as 'modern' it certainly suited Newcastle in the 1970s, down to the ground! It seemed like a very permanent feature of the shopping scene, like it was 'always going to be there', if you know what I mean!

Remember, Newcastle City Centre was even more dominant regionally and nationally as a shopping destination then, than now. Eldon Square was the first real big "City Centre" American-style shopping mall (easy to build in a green field site like the Metrocentre, but VERY difficult to 'graft into' an existing, old, City Centre) and of course Northumberland Street was then the richest shopping street in the country (revenue per square foot) apart from Oxford Street, in London.

I think the Habitat chain had problems in other parts of the country, rather than here, hence the constriction in their overall shop numbers.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #23
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 640

I'm just woundering why Mothercare don't have a store in Newcastle, nor do the ELC. I know Mothercare used to (not sure where though), I'm not sure on the ELC though, but again these are shops that are basic citey centre shops that we don't have, and just having them would be great to fill in some gaps.

I mean it's taken us all this time to get a Debenhams, I agree that we should try to get more of the up end chains, and one off stores here, but we also need to get the basic retailers back aswell. ES and Northumberland St are still in the UK's top 10 shopping destinations, and I think Newcastle is either in the top 10 or not far away, but I feel even if we get the basic stores, it could push us up to one of the UK's shopping capitals, which we are in a prime position for.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #24
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 42

Newcastle is currently 14th retail desination in the UK- which IMO is below what it should be- it should be in the top 10 with mot other regional centres. The CACI retail footprint analysis puts most other regional centres in the top 10-
1- London
2- Birmingham
3- Glasgow
4- Manchester
5- Leeds
6- Liverpool
7- Nottingham
8- Bluewater
9- Reading (!!!!)
10- Trafford Centre

We come down at 14th. We might increase with the opening of ES but I doubt we will break into the top 10 without retail investment. We will more than likely see the likes of Bristol and Leicester over taking us. I think Metro Centre is somewhere like 19th in the table- Sunderland 111th!
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #25
geordiejon

Habitat would fit in perfectly where Pier used to be- with it being next to Lakeland it would ideal. Maybe not enought footfall though
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #26
geordiejon

We do lack certain basics- a Zara is an example. Mothercare is in the Metro Centre as it ELC- which as we have said before many will class those being in Newcastle anyway
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #27
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I'm just woundering why Mothercare don't have a store in Newcastle, nor do the ELC. I know Mothercare used to (not sure where though), I'm not sure on the ELC though, but again these are shops that are basic citey centre shops that we don't have, and just having them would be great to fill in some gaps.
Hi Chris,

Yes, if you look at the map I posted earlier in this thread (Post 20) you can 'just make out' Mothercare towards the 'top left' corner. It was one of the (as said) "anchor stores" of Eldon Square, along with M&S, Fenwicks, Bainbridge (now John Lewis) and Habitat, who would (and did) draw the other 100 or so stores in.

The arrival of Eldon Square in 1976, was THE most exciting of times (LOADS of new shops) in Newcastle City Centre Retail!!! Happy Days.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 17th, 2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #28
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:

I mean it's taken us all this time to get a Debenhams, I agree that we should try to get more of the up end chains, and one off stores here, but we also need to get the basic retailers back aswell. ES and Northumberland St are still in the UK's top 10 shopping destinations, and I think Newcastle is either in the top 10 or not far away, but I feel even if we get the basic stores, it could push us up to one of the UK's shopping capitals, which we are in a prime position for.
Mothercare was where there now stands Monsoon/Accessorise. And Debenhams was the original anchor store for Eldon Garden, where now stands the defunct Pier, but it didnt last long due to its poor location and small size/limited offering. ELC have a store in Eldon Square, i was just in there last month getting Lebowski junior some typically noisy (and overpriced) toys...

Newcastle has always hovered 'there or thereabouts' in the top 15 nationally, but has suffered from some pretty high profile withdrawals. Some of these were just ill advised (Who remembers Hamley's and Lillywhites trying their luck up here?) others were just victims of bad location and poor planning (eg most of Market streets recent offering - Jigsaw, Shellys, Karen Millen etc)

Muji have looked at both Newcastle and M/C so they may land in the future.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #29
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
Mothercare was where there now stands Monsoon/Accessorise. And Debenhams was the original anchor store for Eldon Garden, where now stands the defunct Pier, but it didnt last long due to its poor location and small size/limited offering. ELC have a store in Eldon Square, i was just in there last month getting Lebowski junior some typically noisy (and overpriced) toys...

Newcastle has always hovered 'there or thereabouts' in the top 15 nationally, but has suffered from some pretty high profile withdrawals. Some of these were just ill advised (Who remembers Hamley's and Lillywhites trying their luck up here?) others were just victims of bad location and poor planning (eg most of Market streets recent offering - Jigsaw, Shellys, Karen Millen etc)

Muji have looked at both Newcastle and M/C so they may land in the future.
Yes, I remember Hamley's on Northumberland Street, in the old Callers building (See the Historic Newcastle Photos thread).
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #30
kieron79

The store that is missing that really surprises me is Gap and BabyGap I know there used to be a presence at MC and even The Bridges in Sunderland but not in Newcastle. Its not as if its selling high end fashion way out of reach of us Geordies!Its pretty standard fodder and only a little more expensive than H&M. Will be interesting to see what goes in the old Topshop/Topman site its a strange unit to fill tbh, I cant really see anyone like Urban Outfitters locating there as the row of shops in front of it leading down to Monument entrance is a real skid row!
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #31
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

There is an Early Learning Centre in Eldon Square Chris. It's small though so you might have missed it! It's on the same bit as USC.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #32
elliott

Likes (Received): 175

Yeah Mothercare were in that position until only a few years ago. I'm sure when i started uni in 2003 it was still Mothercare but from what i can tell, they've moved into Out of Town Retail Parks.

With regard to Gap, they'll never open in Newcastle for the forseeable future if they have relatively recently closed the MetroCentre store. Although, we may get something like Banana Republic (Gap's higher end brand, although don't know if they're expanding in the UK atm) or an Urban Outfitters in the old Arcadia spot when the relocate into their new stores in the new mall.

Also geordiejon, yeah i didn't mean it would happen, but an aspiration for the city. Imagine it like our Bond Street with flags and canopies. Yeah Oxfam, the bookies, and Newcastle Building Society would have to move but it could be a great street. Also you could keep the old Odeon, Commercial Union House is huge with quite a large frontage (remember its more than the jut out over the road) and have an anchor high end Department Store, although the more time goes on i don't really think we need one. We've got Fenwicks and with a little improvement (basically the ground floor behind the Northumberland Street frontage) could be on par with the high end players. Sometimes i think we disregard it and relagate it to the likes of Debenhams (an appalling department store), when if you look properly especially in the high end men's and womens with the Armani, Hugo Boss, Max Mara, Ralph Lauren; Newcastle is pretty well served. Plus we've also got Cruise full of expensive brands Prada, Gucci and to me seems to survive pretty well. To be honest i would rather they just moved to the Commercial Union site, would be ideal.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #33
geordiejon

Quote:
The store that is missing that really surprises me is Gap and BabyGap I know there used to be a presence at MC and even The Bridges in Sunderland but not in Newcastle. Its not as if its selling high end fashion way out of reach of us Geordies!Its pretty standard fodder and only a little more expensive than H&M. Will be interesting to see what goes in the old Topshop/Topman site its a strange unit to fill tbh, I cant really see anyone like Urban Outfitters locating there as the row of shops in front of it leading down to Monument entrance is a real skid row!
I diagree with you there about the Top Shop unit being next to skid row- yes further down that part of the mall is a bit down to heel but it will also be right next door to the new St Andrews Mall- and Balckett Bridge has good stores.
GAP has no presence in the NE apart from an outlet store- Gap are struggling in the UK- their particular US fashion does not travel well, particular outside of London.
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #34
geordiejon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Yeah Mothercare were in that position until only a few years ago. I'm sure when i started uni in 2003 it was still Mothercare but from what i can tell, they've moved into Out of Town Retail Parks.

With regard to Gap, they'll never open in Newcastle for the forseeable future if they have relatively recently closed the MetroCentre store. Although, we may get something like Banana Republic (Gap's higher end brand, although don't know if they're expanding in the UK atm) or an Urban Outfitters in the old Arcadia spot when the relocate into their new stores in the new mall.

Also geordiejon, yeah i didn't mean it would happen, but an aspiration for the city. Imagine it like our Bond Street with flags and canopies. Yeah Oxfam, the bookies, and Newcastle Building Society would have to move but it could be a great street. Also you could keep the old Odeon, Commercial Union House is huge with quite a large frontage (remember its more than the jut out over the road) and have an anchor high end Department Store, although the more time goes on i don't really think we need one. We've got Fenwicks and with a little improvement (basically the ground floor behind the Northumberland Street frontage) could be on par with the high end players. Sometimes i think we disregard it and relagate it to the likes of Debenhams (an appalling department store), when if you look properly especially in the high end men's and womens with the Armani, Hugo Boss, Max Mara, Ralph Lauren; Newcastle is pretty well served. Plus we've also got Cruise full of expensive brands Prada, Gucci and to me seems to survive pretty well. To be honest i would rather they just moved to the Commercial Union site, would be ideal.
Yes I have always thought Fenwick is a great department store and they have spent a lot of money on large parts of the store- however I have always been intrigued as to why the part on the main entrance into the store- a persons first impression- is so crap. I mean the cosmetics part is cool- bright and modern and large- and now we have Pret and Yo Sushi to your right and the new mens department is great but the main entrance still has the old green carpets on the floor selling tights, fluffy slippers, cards and old peoples clothes. It hardly makes you think the store is high end.

TBH Fenwick is not high end despite what people on here say- the brands it sells whether clothes, or furniture or whatever is not as high end a those sold in Harvey Nichols or Selfridges. The store also, depsite looking good apart from the main entrance is not a swanky. So the city could easily handle a Harvey Nicks store IMO.
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #35
kieron79

I wonder if there will be more money spent on the rest of Elson Square once ES South opens?I only ask as to me it looks like it will be very light and airy (similar to Red Mall in MC) the rest of ES had always seemed to me to be dark but thats just my personal opinion, I personally hate that area next to the entrance on Northumberland Street, there never seems to be a good flow of people and for such a prominent location there seems to be a high (ish)n turnover of stores around there.
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #36
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 640

Quote:
I wonder if there will be more money spent on the rest of Elson Square once ES South opens?I only ask as to me it looks like it will be very light and airy (similar to Red Mall in MC) the rest of ES had always seemed to me to be dark but thats just my personal opinion, I personally hate that area next to the entrance on Northumberland Street, there never seems to be a good flow of people and for such a prominent location there seems to be a high (ish)n turnover of stores around there.
I think the rest of ES will get a revamp gradually, already the area around topshop, you can see they have removed parts of the ceiling, which will be replaced by a newer style, and all the shops that have become vacant and then re-let seem to have been given the full glass frontage, which we are expecting to see in ES South.

By the way, what is the official name for ES South?, I've heard it before but I've not rememberd.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #37
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
By the way, what is the official name for ES South?, I've heard it before but I've not rememberd.
St Andrew's Way
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #38
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
I believe the rest of the centre will be brought up to standard, ie flooring and ceiling and possibly shop frontages, same as how the rest of the MetroCentre was when the Red Mall opened. I say this as I have seen renders for it, I'll have a look around see if I can find them again.
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #39
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Well here is the render I was talking about in the previous post, the link it is from doesn't actually mention the rest of the centre being brought up to standard, however from this render I'm sure it is Blackett Bridge and it looks different from what it does now...

Anyway heres the render for you to make your own minds up

http://www.liberty-international.co....ments/?id=1161
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #40
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

There's a lot of stores people have mentioned here that I'd like to see come to the city and should do well; Muji, Habitat, Zara certainly being ones that I'd use or at least go into.

As for a Harvey Nichol's or another big department store to kickstart the development of EPS, I still think that the redevelopment of Monument Mall and Zavvi makes complete sense. I was looking in there yesterday and there's nothing there that couldn't easily be relocated - into a number of very well located, vacant properties of stores that have shut or moved into the Eldon Square extension. And the location, at the junction onto Pilgrim St, would be perfect for all involved.

I also think that the Pearl Assurance House building, on the other corner (over Vision Express) could also be redeveloped as a bit store, although that would need demolition and rebuilding, not just a gut out and refit.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
high street, high streets, newcastle, newcastle retail, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, retailers, shop, shopping, shops, suburbs