search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM   #61
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Im glad im not alone in seeing the current incarnation of this thoroughfare as a complete abhorration....seriously, what's the benefit of the current layout? A newsagents, a bagel shop and a kiosk selling watch straps? oh and an impossibly barren alley and a set of almost impassably steep steps to the arse-end of Marks and Spencers. Wonderful!

Though it has driven the Northumberland Arms (literally) underground....thats probably not a bad thing!
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:46 PM   #62
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 638

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but KFC on Northumberland St has now closed, so hopefully not long untill it's occupied again. I'm guessing things are going well with NBS's plans for the site.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:03 PM   #63
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

I'm amazed that the only KFC in town is on Grainger Street to be honest. Though with none in Sunderland anymore I'm wondering if they're retreating from the N.East?
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:07 PM   #64
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
I'm amazed that the only KFC in town is on Grainger Street to be honest. Though with none in Sunderland anymore I'm wondering if they're retreating from the N.East?
There is one at Cowgate, and two at the Metrocentre/Metro Retail Park, and one is about to open at Killingworth Shopping Centre.

My guess is that they are pulling out of City Centres (perhaps) and concentrating on 'out of town' sites, with drive-thru facilities . . .
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:17 PM   #65
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
There is one at Cowgate, and two at the Metrocentre/Metro Retail Park, and one is about to open at Killingworth Shopping Centre.

My guess is that they are pulling out of City Centres (perhaps) and concentrating on 'out of town' sites, with drive-thru facilities . . .
Yeah, I agree with that statement. Although KFC isn't really something I would be botherd about if it moved out of Newcastle altogether, the same generally applies to McDonalds and Burger King.

Though I'm sure I heard that KFC wanted to keep the Northumberland St store open, but the lease holders thought they could get more from elsewhere.

Can you confirm that Lebowski?

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:04 AM   #66
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Yeah, I agree with that statement. Although KFC isn't really something I would be botherd about if it moved out of Newcastle altogether, the same generally applies to McDonalds and Burger King.

Though I'm sure I heard that KFC wanted to keep the Northumberland St store open, but the lease holders thought they could get more from elsewhere.

Can you confirm that Lebowski?
hmm, not something i'd heard about but its not as simple as the landlord simply 'kicking them out'. For a start theyd need permission for change of use, and without that theyd only be kicking them out for another food retailer. I imagine they obtained permission first (I think these units only have A1/A3 so cant be used as an office/financial premises) then signed up a tenant. Or vice versa, most of that stretch is financial so the change in use was probably a formality.

Anyway KFC proliferates in the outskirts as has been said - Cowgate, Killingworth, Byker, Wallsend all boast a branch....every suburb and satellite town now seems to feature some fried chicken dive, maybe KFC are trying to reclaim what they feel is rightfully theirs!
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:08 AM   #67
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

While i'm on the subject of banks, I couldn't help but notice that Abbey and Allience&Liecester on Northumberland St are very close together, and that next year they and Bradford&Bingley are merging into one bank, Santander. So will their be rules enforced wich will mean that 1 or 2 of the branches will have to close?

I mean, just down the St, at the top of Pilgrim St you also have one of Bradford&Bingleys largest branches, and the Abbey branch on Northumberland St is also fairly large. So I'm assuming that the current Allience&Liecester one would be the one chosen to go if they had to do that.

Then again on 2nd thoughts, maybe they don't, in North Shields you have 2 large Lyods TSB branches only parted by 2 shops, thanks to the merger of the 2 banks.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:35 AM   #68
Smash17

Likes (Received): 0

The Bradford & Bingley branch you mention is currently undergoing a refit and the predominant colours used inside seem to be red and grey which would suggest they'll run it as a B&B for now then simply change the signs over when the rebrand happens.
Smash17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:51 AM   #69
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

I'm not sure what they'll do short term, but long term I can't see more than one or two of them surviving - along with a number of jobs. It just makes financial sense, why bother merging with another bank if you can't make gains from streamlining? And for the same reason I think we'll see the C&G branch go in the next few years and maybe even Halifax branches plus the Bank of Scotland branch on (I think) Grey St. Again, surely it just makes sense?
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:00 PM   #70
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

[QUOTE=bigchrisfgb;44976860]Yeah, I agree with that statement. Although KFC isn't really something I would be botherd about if it moved out of Newcastle altogether, the same generally applies to McDonalds and Burger King.QUOTE]

Ah, but there is a certain something about a McDonald's breakfast if you have to be out and about early (early in my book being pre-10.30). Sausage & egg muffin mean and an extra hash mmmm...

Fried chicken junkies should note that the new place on Darn Crook (where Salaam Bombay used to be) - King Chicken? - is very good imo and also supplies the food on china plates, with proper metal cutlery. There's posh for you!
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM   #71
shiggy

Likes (Received): 0

zara moved because there was not enough storage.
NBS taking KFC unit.
American retailer moving into new eldon square development (probs americal apparel)
urban outfitters were going to go into Monument Mall, mall managers turned down opportunity.
jamie olivers restaurant chain were to go into old eldon square, but has been put on hold.
hood street will not get boss, ralph or d&g. we dont have footfall or retailer requirements.
tommi hilfiger, armani exchange, new era (caps), bose looking for space.
footlocker relocating off northumberland street, probs into eldon square opposite USC.
shiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:39 PM   #72
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

[QUOTE=WilfBurnsFan;45000700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Yeah, I agree with that statement. Although KFC isn't really something I would be botherd about if it moved out of Newcastle altogether, the same generally applies to McDonalds and Burger King.QUOTE]

Ah, but there is a certain something about a McDonald's breakfast if you have to be out and about early (early in my book being pre-10.30). Sausage & egg muffin mean and an extra hash mmmm...

Fried chicken junkies should note that the new place on Darn Crook (where Salaam Bombay used to be) - King Chicken? - is very good imo and also supplies the food on china plates, with proper metal cutlery. There's posh for you!
I have been there twice - first time it was nice BUT the second time wasnt so nice
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM   #73
gregstone

Likes (Received): 20

Was pleasantly impressed with Liverpool One when I visited for the first time yesterday; it is large and on the whole reasonably well designed, with a good range of shops, although maybe 25% remained to be let.
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM   #74
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
NBS taking KFC unit.
American retailer moving into new eldon square development (probs americal apparel)
urban outfitters were going to go into Monument Mall, mall managers turned down opportunity.
jamie olivers restaurant chain were to go into old eldon square, but has been put on hold.
hood street will not get boss, ralph or d&g. we dont have footfall or retailer requirements.
footlocker relocating off northumberland street, probs into eldon square opposite USC.
That's the spirit, don't waste precious column inches on small talk, just give us the facts!! Cheers Shiggy, some interesting rumours there that I hadn't heard before
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:28 PM   #75
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstone View Post
Was pleasantly impressed with Liverpool One when I visited for the first time yesterday; it is large and on the whole reasonably well designed, with a good range of shops, although maybe 25% remained to be let.
That's all very well, but what about the alienation of the public realm? Do we want a city for everyone, a city for its citizens, or just for the potential consumers who are all that the new 'owners' of Liverpool One are interested in (and they get their private security guards to move out aanyone who doesn't fit their desired profile)?
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM   #76
elliott

Likes (Received): 172

If wonder if the store labelled 'in solicitors' on the ES Lettings Plan is American Apparell / Urban Outfitters then, as thats basically the only store left. However, I wonder what is going to happen with the Poundland / Old Post Office unit and the Topshop unit (girls bit only as the lettings map says Topshop for both upstairs and downstairs in the new mall).
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:57 PM   #77
elliott

Likes (Received): 172

That old picture of Prudhoe St makes me sad, theres nothing of significance at all architecturally, but in urban design terms its far superior to what we have now. One of my main issues is that you couldn't walk through there at night; yet the joining section can only be a few metres wide.

felt like andy gray on Sky Sports drwaing all over all the images there lol
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:00 PM   #78
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

I hadn't realised the gap was that small. unfortunately it seems to be a service area so not sure it would be possible to punch through the barrier.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:48 PM   #79
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
NBS taking KFC unit.
If you don;t mind me asking, where does your info come from?

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:59 PM   #80
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

American Apparel would be quite a coup for the city's retail scene, though personally, i HATE that store with a passion.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
high street, high streets, newcastle, newcastle retail, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, retailers, shop, shopping, shops, suburbs