search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #101
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejon View Post
Those spaces have got to be around the monument- its seems every charver and their dog sits around it and around the entrance of eldon square by there.
But it's their city as much as mine: if they're not causing trouble they've every right to be there, and the same applies to me. This reminds me of a kerfuffle a few years ago when some of the more precious business owners in Old Eldon Square were complaining about the presence of the Goths driving away their customers by creating a 'threatening' environment. The bunny rabbits at the Civic Centre are more threatening.

A nice idea to get rid of the blank walls facing Blackett Street - though I do like the black glass Monument entrance to ES.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #102
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 22

I agree with the first part og your comment, but you like the brown glass entrances?! I was lookinh at them today, wondering why they haven't done something about them yet!
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #103
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatton11 View Post
I agree with the first part og your comment, but you like the brown glass entrances?! I was lookinh at them today, wondering why they haven't done something about them yet!
Is this the glass area you mean (I know it goes right around the corner over the entrance)?

I have always quite liked it, particularly how it reflects Emmerson Chambers and so on. Those shots have appeared on Album Covers, and all sorts . . .

(PS, I tried inserting a particular photo from the internet, that I liked, but for some bizarre reason it would not load. So, here is one that I took in July 1977 . . . )

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 24th, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #104
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
I'm amazed that the only KFC in town is on Grainger Street to be honest. Though with none in Sunderland anymore I'm wondering if they're retreating from the N.East?
There are no KFCs in Leeds City Centre at all; I don't think there ever have been any either. Maybe they're focussing on out of town locations?
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #105
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

As this is the 'City Centre Retail' thread, and at Post 13 we talk about the new Debenhams Department Store on Newgate Street . . .

Well, here is my favourite photo of the former Co-op Department Store that would have been directly opposite Debenhams, and would have benefited greatly from that.

This photo (in my view) shows the whole building off BETTER than any other photo of it I have ever seen.

What a shame it is no longer a Department Store.

But . . the building itself is still there - so all is not lost . . .

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 30th, 2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #106
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 640

I don't care about KFC leaving Northumberland St, we still have one in the Bigg market. I am though disapointed that it is to be replaced by a NBS. Although I would like to see NBS and Northern Rock expand, I feel as though the size of that store is right for retail with it's prime location.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #107
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I don't care about KFC leaving Northumberland St, we still have one in the Bigg market. I am though disapointed that it is to be replaced by a NBS. Although I would like to see NBS and Northern Rock expand, I feel as though the size of that store is right for retail with it's prime location.
Yes, I think I have made my views clear in the past about "Northumberland Street being prime retail" (though I was mainly talking about the area south of M & S) but it is a pity to lose this site to a Bank/Building Society. I quite like KFC too!!
Old October 24th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #108
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Yes, I think I have made my views clear in the past about "Northumberland Street being prime retail" (though I was mainly talking about the area south of M & S) but it is a pity to lose this site to a Bank/Building Society. I quite like KFC too!!
Me too, I don't usually go for burger joints but the Zinger burger was the one I liked.

Out of interest Dublin had no city centre KFCs too so I was often found walking to Rathmines for one (a kind of Heaton/Gosforth suburb) when I got peckish... I think there was one in a food hall type place somewhere too mind.

Which brings me to the question, is the food mall type place in Monument Mall still open? I've not been up there in a decade!
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #109
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
Me too, I don't usually go for burger joints but the Zinger burger was the one I liked.

Out of interest Dublin had no city centre KFCs too so I was often found walking to Rathmines for one (a kind of Heaton/Gosforth suburb) when I got peckish... I think there was one in a food hall type place somewhere too mind.

Which brings me to the question, is the food mall type place in Monument Mall still open? I've not been up there in a decade!
Yes, it just always seems to be dead, and expensive aswell, last time I went there, I paid over £17 for 2 Scampi&Chips, with a butterd bun and a drink of coke.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 25th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #110
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

The old food court at the Newgate Street end of Eldon Square (now Debenhams, was Argos) was great! Excellent choice of food and not expensive as I recall. Eldon Square has been much the poorer without it.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #111
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

According to their website Marble Slab has now opened
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #112
kieron79

Likes (Received): 3

Been away in Ireland for a few days so \aint been able to post, was visiting family but had to pass through Belfast city centre on way to airport, I have to say I was pretty impressed witht the little I saw. Looks like a lot of money is/has been spent there. There were some beautiful old buildings with some great independant stores. We had a coffee and bight to eat in a lovely shop selling high end homeware, think it was called equinox? myself and my wife both commented upon how there is a lack of small independant stores like that in Newcastle city centre, I feel places like this really add to a city centres retail offerings rather than the usual fodder. I think EPS would be an ideal opportunity for places liket his to be placed offering something a little different.
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #113
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
Been away in Ireland for a few days so \aint been able to post, was visiting family but had to pass through Belfast city centre on way to airport, I have to say I was pretty impressed witht the little I saw. Looks like a lot of money is/has been spent there. There were some beautiful old buildings with some great independant stores. We had a coffee and bight to eat in a lovely shop selling high end homeware, think it was called equinox? myself and my wife both commented upon how there is a lack of small independant stores like that in Newcastle city centre, I feel places like this really add to a city centres retail offerings rather than the usual fodder. I think EPS would be an ideal opportunity for places liket his to be placed offering something a little different.
yes the lack of independent shops in Newcastle is very striking compared to many other UK centres. I think it is slightly tied in with our low rates of entrepreneurship - most people on tyneside would never consider starting their own business, sadly.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #114
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
yes the lack of independent shops in Newcastle is very striking compared to many other UK centres. I think it is slightly tied in with our low rates of entrepreneurship - most people on tyneside would never consider starting their own business, sadly.
I would, I would love to, but I just don't have the money, and no bank in their right mind would give me money to start up a business in this climate.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #115
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 42

Yes we lack independent stores- but then again we struggle for many main high street stores too. High rents generally put businesses off and you see a lot of independent stores opening in Jesmond or Gosforth. Our best ones I can thin of are probably Electric Sheep on Pink Lane and End and End Hunting and Skirt on High Bridge. They are just clothes when you come to hoemware I start scratching my head really.

Noticed today that the unit next door to Costa on Northumberland Street is no longer under offer but is now up to let again.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #116
Smash17

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
Yeah, it's definitely open. Walked past it today. It was quite busy with it being half term this week.
Smash17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #117
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash17 View Post
Yeah, it's definitely open. Walked past it today. It was quite busy with it being half term this week.
I might pop in next week - dont like going to town during half term
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #118
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Not sure if this LINK has been posted on here, it may have earlier in the thread I'm not certain. Anyway, here is a link to the site showing all the recent ELDON SQUARE RE-DEVELOPMENTS (ES North / East / and West).

http://www.eldon-square.co.uk/transf...don_square.htm

(I have posted this link on the 'WEBSITES List' thread, also).
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #119
shiggy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post

been and its amazing. going again this afternoon.
shiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #120
flange

Likes (Received): 2676

Quote:
All Saints’ quest for holy grail

All Saints has signed for eight stores in the last two weeks as part of its rapid UK expansion plan

The fashion chain has taken a 10,000 sq ft store on a new 15-year lease at 282-292 Westbourne Grove on the corner of Portobello Road. It has also taken a 1,719 sq ft second store at Westfield London for six months.

In Brighton it has taken 6,316 sq ft at 62-63 East Street for £260,000 a year.

In York it is taking 3,350 sq ft on a 10-year lease at 79-81 Low Petergate.

In Newcastle’s Eldon Square, it has signed for 8,100 sq ft on a 10-year lease at £300,000 a year or 10% of turnover. In Birmingham it has taken 3,732 sq ft in the Mailbox on a 15-year lease for £186,000 a year or 10% of turnover. It is also due to sign at One New Change in the City of London for a 5,274 sq ft store on a 15-year lease at £200,000 a year or 10% of turnover.

In Leeds it has signed at 30-32 Queen Victoria Street on a 15-year lease in 1,500 sq ft at £155,000 a year with four months rent free. CWM is the solely retained adviser to All Saints.
http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...rycode=3152066
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
high street, high streets, newcastle, newcastle retail, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, retailers, shop, shopping, shops, suburbs