search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1547

Science City / Science Central | Newcastle | Various | U/C

Science City

Height: 100m estimate
Floors: 30 floors estimate
Architect: ?
Developer: Newcastle City Council

Science City is to be a massive redevelopment of a large portion of the old Scottish and Newcastle Brewery site, including space for world-class Scientific research as well as more public uses such as commercial and residential. The site is now cleared.

On 13th November 2007, it was announced that the scheme will possibly incorporate Newcastle and the North East's tallest building. It is hoped that it will be an iconic building that will help the development and Newcastle be noticed on a bigger scale.

Site link

Also, this interesting article and MAP of the site . . .

Developing a science city: Newcastle’s Science Central project

The city of Newcastle (UK) has the ambition to become a strong knowledge-based economy. In this light, it is developing the Science Central project, an ambitious plan to transform a vacant brewery site in the city centre into a vibrant science quarter. Newcastle was one of the first cities to join the REDIS-project, uniting eight cities that have the ambition to use their science base as a driver for local economic development.

Currently, the economic crisis makes is difficult to develop the area as planned, but several knowledge institutes are committed to continue the development. In May 2009, Newcastle hosted an ‘Implementation Lab’, a method that we use in REDIS to audit a project using the expertise of project partners from different countries. A delegation of the partner cities paid a 3-day visit to the city and made an assessment of Newcastle’s plans. The first day, a number of local stakeholders delivered presentations and presented their views to the audience, and a site visit was made. During the second day of the lab, the audience was split into three working groups, where each group was a mix of foreign and local participants/stakeholders. A lot of useful ideas and suggestions were developed, that will be used by policymakers. To learn more, check this link

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 26th, 2009 at 03:04 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 4

U/C .. I thought this was all still a proposal .. and as for the 30 floor tower element (be nice to see it given the thumbs up) however, didn't think they'd even got as far as site prep.

I'll have to get myself over there
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtoon View Post
U/C .. I thought this was all still a proposal .. and as for the 30 floor tower element (be nice to see it given the thumbs up) however, didn't think they'd even got as far as site prep.

I'll have to get myself over there
Yes, I think it is just the 'Downing bit' that is under construction (which has its own thread) so I'll change the final part of the title of this thread to 'Proposal' (or 'Prop', as an abbreviation?)
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Well, I've changed the title to 'prop', as you can see. However, it still appears as 'U/C' in the threads listing . . . I'll have to enquire from one of the mods how (or if) a thread-originator can change the title in the LIST? (or, does a mod have to do that?)
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #5
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Well, I've changed the title to 'prop', as you can see. However, it still appears as 'U/C' in the threads listing . . . I'll have to enquire from one of the mods how (or if) a thread-originator can change the title in the LIST? (or, does a mod have to do that?)
yes, that's what the renaming thread is for. A quicker way to do it is pm either myself or Woodhousen... then actions can be made without us reading every post on every thread
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #6
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Here is the latest news article about Science City:

http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-25015408/
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #7
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Science City
It is hoped that it will be an iconic building that will help the development and Newcastle be noticed on a bigger scale.
I can't blurbs and press releases that come out with stuff like that. It's not for them to say what is or isn't iconic - it's for the people to decide. I hate cliches like the plague.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #8
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 640

If those pictures are anything to actually go by (I'm assuming not) then I hope to god that it isn't built. That tower is bad, really bad, worse then some of the stuff we had built in the 60's.

As for the potential to put Newcastle on the map, bringing in big name companies, and econimcally Science City could be the best thing to happen to Newcastle since the SSC North East Sub-Forum.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #9
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

If anything comes of it. I gather the Centre for Life hasn't been a great hit in encouraging other bioscience businesses to come, despite the successes of the academic units there. And what has Newcastle to offer that isn't available from other science parks?
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #10
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
If those pictures are anything to actually go by (I'm assuming not) then I hope to god that it isn't built. That tower is bad, really bad, worse then some of the stuff we had built in the 60's.

As for the potential to put Newcastle on the map, bringing in big name companies, and econimcally Science City could be the best thing to happen to Newcastle since the SSC North East Sub-Forum.
The current plans, STILL look like this, as far as I know . . .

The site as it was . . .

The site as it now is . . .

None of this is NEWS, but lack of progress is a worry. The 'Centre For Life' analogy is a good one WilfBurnsFan, because there is a place where we (Newcastle) is pretty much acknowledged world leaders and STILL all the businesses have not come . . .

Worrying.
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #11
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Yes, this new announcement about some funding mechanism or other does not matter if no-one is interested in actually coming to Newcastle. I predict that by 2015 they'll realise this and decide to build a conference centre and some housing. By 2030 it might even be built.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #12
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Double post, please ignore.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #13
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 542

Hold on a minute, that rendering looks purely conceptual to me. I think it's just to give some idea of scale and massing rather than the final design. I'm guessing this is only an outline planning application rather than the full thing.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #14
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1198

i dont even think it is an outline planning application! Simply conceptual as you say.
johnnypd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #15
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
i dont even think it is an outline planning application! Simply conceptual as you say.
Yes, I think so too, but I don't think there has been anything else, has there? I think it is all so 'far off' anyway . . . anything can happen (or not).
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:47 PM   #16
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

Does anyone remember about a year ago (very roughly) Greg suggesting that the site could be turned into sports pitches or a park, purely as a temporary measure, the make use of the land until it's developed? It turns out that other cities have had the same idea, although they weren't as negative about the idea as we were:

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...00000001a5e784

I personally think that temporary uses for sites such as Science City, Scotswood, the empty lots at the bottom of Pilgrim St and next to Flynn's on the Quayside, several sites in the Ouseburn etc would be a brilliant idea.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:44 PM   #17
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

I'm in Ottawa right now and there are quite a few empty lots around the city. They use them as surface parking. It seems as good a use as any, and could be very useful on match days. I bet NCP would do all the work in return for the lions share of the revenue.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:33 PM   #18
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
I'm in Ottawa right now and there are quite a few empty lots around the city. They use them as surface parking. It seems as good a use as any, and could be very useful on match days. I bet NCP would do all the work in return for the lions share of the revenue.
in North American cities these surface car parks are usually permnanent, rather than temporary, features. the locations shift around as new buildings are built, old ones pulled down etc, but there is typically a large proportion of 'street killer' surface carparks in every downtown.
johnnypd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM   #19
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

Oops, wrong thread!

Last edited by hollow man; November 2nd, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #20
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Latest aerial shot of the site as it is now, from the "1 NG" Website (see Website List)

Tags
construction, development, developments, medical research, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects, research, science, science research, scientific research