search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #101
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Event: A Science Central update
This event is intended to update and capture comments and feedback on the latest proposals.

Reconnecting Science Central to Newcastle

Event: Science Central – an update

Dates and times:

Thursday 14th October 3pm-7pm

Friday 15th October 12pm-4pm

Saturday 16th October 11am-2pm

Venue: Murray House Community Recreation Centre, Diana Street,

Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 6BT

Plans for the redevelopment of the former Newcastle Tyne Brewery site have progressed considerably following previous consultation with local communities and the public.

1NG, the city development company for NewcastleGateshead and the partners behind the project (Newcastle City Council, Newcastle University and One North East) would therefore like to invite you to an update on the proposals, prior to the submission of a formal outline planning application.

Members of the development team will be present at the event from Thursday 14th October to Saturday 16th October 2010. It is intended to provide an update and capture your comments and feedback on the latest proposals.

If you have any questions please contact:

Laura Howes Tel: 0191 441 4585 or email: [email protected]
http://www.1ng.org.uk/media-room/news-events/1288

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #102
TownPlanningNE

Has anyone been to yesterdays or todays event? Or anyone planning on going tomorrow?
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #103
Stamford

Likes (Received): 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
Has anyone been to yesterdays or todays event? Or anyone planning on going tomorrow?
Depending on the state of the head in the morning, after tonight's indulgences, I may well take a walk up....
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #104
Stamford

I went up this lunchtime and had a look around. Very poorly attended, at least today. I got there at half 12 and was the 1st person to sign in. I stayed about half hour and there were a couple of other people looking round by the time I left.

I wasn't allowed to take any pictures

Some general points from chats with a couple of the 1NG people:

They expect to be submitting planning application in the next 4 - 6 weeks.

They hope to receive approval in early 2011 (Jan/Feb)

Initial work to commence this time next year.

Details of the plans should be available on the 1NG website in next 4 - 6 weeks and also via the council planning site shortly after the application is lodged.

The initial work when it starts will be on Improving Waterloo Road and the construction of two "gateways" into the development. The 1st and main feature entrance is at the junction of Waterloo Road / Corporation Street / Blenheim Street / Bath Lane. The 2nd will be opposite Heber Street in the @ area of the old main entrance into the site.

Corporation street itself will basically cease to exist.

I've done a rough google map of the whole area included in the plans and it can he viewed HERE

This is a 15 - 20 year development plan with no specific dates attached to any particular buildings, other than the NG1 people did say, dependent on the financial situation at this point next year when initial work starts, that they may look to put one or two new buildings around the main gateway entrance.

That's all I can really remember without the aid of pictures
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #105
Stamford

P.S. I did mention this forum to the 1NG people and they seemed quite interested in possibly joining up
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #106
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
I went up this lunchtime and had a look around. Very poorly attended, at least today. I got there at half 12 and was the 1st person to sign in. I stayed about half hour and there were a couple of other people looking round by the time I left.

I wasn't allowed to take any pictures

Some general points from chats with a couple of the 1NG people:

They expect to be submitting planning application in the next 4 - 6 weeks.

They hope to receive approval in early 2011 (Jan/Feb)

Initial work to commence this time next year.

Details of the plans should be available on the 1NG website in next 4 - 6 weeks and also via the council planning site shortly after the application is lodged.

The initial work when it starts will be on Improving Waterloo Road and the construction of two "gateways" into the development. The 1st and main feature entrance is at the junction of Waterloo Road / Corporation Street / Blenheim Street / Bath Lane. The 2nd will be opposite Heber Street in the @ area of the old main entrance into the site.

Corporation street itself will basically cease to exist.

I've done a rough google map of the whole area included in the plans and it can he viewed HERE

This is a 15 - 20 year development plan with no specific dates attached to any particular buildings, other than the NG1 people did say, dependent on the financial situation at this point next year when initial work starts, that they may look to put one or two new buildings around the main gateway entrance.

That's all I can really remember without the aid of pictures
What do they mean by gateway construction? Is it buildings? The whole thing sounds a complete failure to me. It would probably better just selling parts of the sites off to different developers (IE Downing Plaza) and letting them build what they want.
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #107
Stamford

The Gateways I refer to are like plazas / squares / public spaces.

As for selling off pockets, I kinda got the impression that's what they intend to do. The folks I spoke to mentioned this in respect to the residential portions of the master plan (Down the western edge of the area).
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #108
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
The Gateways I refer to are like plazas / squares / public spaces.

As for selling off pockets, I kinda got the impression that's what they intend to do. The folks I spoke to mentioned this in respect to the residential portions of the master plan (Down the western edge of the area).
So its going to take them a year from now just to start work and the only work they will do is a public square at the entrance and some infrastructure works...
Old October 16th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #109
Stamford

Yup, infrastructure and the "probability" of the 2 public squares and they did mention, depending on the economic climate at the time, a possibility of one or two office buildings around the main "gateway" square
Old October 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #110
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

A public square will be useful when there's nothing to attract the public.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #111
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is the "Discovery Quarter" all over again.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #112
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 42

Total waste of money. Nothing will happen. A few roads will get built, and maybe some office building on the cheap. Looking at these plans arent one of these plaza near where the old garage is? That will really attract companies won't it?The land should be sold off to the higher bidder. Downing is making a good job of their plot and at least work is well under way.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #113
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1553

Delay will hit the North’s great science experiment
November 11th 2010, by William Green, The Journal

A FLAGSHIP coalition policy billed as breathing new life into the region by giving councils more powers to boost economic development will not happen until at least 2012, it has emerged.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg hailed plans to let town halls borrow millions of pounds to pay for infrastructure projects during his leader’s speech to the Liberal Democrat conference in September.

The Deputy Prime Minister singled out the development of a multi-million pound science park in Newcastle as one scheme that could be funded by the new financing mechanism, which could be critical as public spending cuts hit budgets.

It has been estimated plans for Science City could create thousands of jobs – with £40m in public cash and £250m of private investment over the next 20 years.

But now it has emerged that the Department for Communities and Local Government will not get the legislation to introduce the powers into Parliament until July 2011, with the scheme not be available to use until at least April 2012.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz14xhDY4Vi
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #114
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

£8m black hole in Newcastle Science City project
January 12th 2011, by Adrian Pearson, The Journal

SCIENCE City bosses face an £8m funding black hole after regeneration cash was pulled from the huge city centre jobs project.

Government spending chiefs have turned down a request by development agency One North East for permission to hand over the £8m it had promised for the Science Central building, in Newcastle. The refusal could threaten the next phase of the much overdue project, which is hoped will breathe new life into derelict areas of the city.

Project partners at Newcastle Council and Newcastle University have now been left searching for a means of replacing the money needed to keep the Science City masterplan on track.

The funding deficit has emerged despite a planning application for the initial funded work being submitted.

The Coalition Government is understood to have handed defunct RDA One North East just enough cash to pay off its current bills and no more for capital expenditure – including crucial schemes like Science City.

Science City leaders will now be forced to look for regeneration cash from Europe. Shadow Science Minister, Newcastle Central MP Chi Onwurah, accused the Treasury of sparking “total chaos” around the region’s most important regeneration scheme.

She said: “What this does is underline the asset chaos really. One North East will likely lose a lot of assets which could be kept in the region.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1AoQ0nex0
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #115
TownPlanningNE

Hang on I thought Clegg said there would be money for schemes such as Science City in Newcastle... or was he on about some other money available?? I don't understand.
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #116
gregstone

Likes (Received): 20

This shortfall is due to ONE not being around to put their chunk of cash in. However, ONE still has assets - including a 1/3rd stake in the Sci City land. It is not yet clear how their assets will be administered, but it is entirely plausible that their stake could be reassigned to the Sci City partners.

The Clegg proposal was for "tax increment financing" i.e. allowing local authorities to borrow money for the initial start-up costs of a major scheme which developers would be reluctant to fund themselves (e.g. major groundworks, road and utilities infrastructure), secured against the increased business rates received when the scheme is built out.
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #117
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Newcastle Science City looking to secure fresh funding
by John Hill, The Journal, January 20th 2011

NEWCASTLE Science City is looking into ways to secure fresh funding through both public and private channels after its main backer One North East shuts next year.

It is investigating options which include extra public funding to support its community activities such as business support and networking event First Friday, and using its Innovation Machine business creation scheme to attract private cash.

Science City chief executive Peter Arnold said: “These are uncertain times, but I think we’ve come to a point recently where we know we’ve got until March next year and the board is encouraging me to think about what we do beyond that. We’ve got a lot of ideas.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...email:20110120
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #118
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1199

great vid showing a concept masterplan for science city -

johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #119
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The physical building project of Science central is perhaps our main interest on this forum, but this article emphasises the fact that 'Science City' is more than that . . .

Science City project celebrates first year
by Andrew Glover, The Journal, January 29th 2011

A CITY-WIDE education programme highlighting the importance of science has celebrated its first anniversary.

Newcastle Science City’s community engagement project was launched on January 28 last year to promote the benefits of science and the world-class research being carried out in the city. Community groups from across Newcastle have benefited from the project’s community science grant which offers funding to stimulate interest in science, technology, engineering and maths.

Nick Powell, community engagement officer at Newcastle Science City, said: “Our work is all about building an informed and scientifically active community in Newcastle and helping residents to be part of it.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1CQDQg2eT
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:48 AM   #120
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Newcastle's city of science plans one step closer
by Adrian Pearson, The Journal, February 1st 2011

A HOME for science in Newcastle is a step closer today after multi-million pound development plans were submitted.

Council officers are considering plans to build a series of environmentally-friendly science-based office blocks on the former Scottish and Newcastle brewery site.

Already the land next to St James’ Park is undergoing some basic infrastructure work, and a new hotel and Newcastle University Business School are well under way.

Now council leaders are hoping that they will soon have the necessary planing permission to start laying more than just the infrastructure foundations.

As well as a “Gateway” science HQ on the edge of the site, the plans also include several open spaces and a dedicated green-energy mini-power station.

Officers at the city development company 1 Newcastle Gateshead say the long-term plan is to create some 1,900 jobs and bring in £255m worth of investment.

As yet no private sector firms have been linked to the site.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1Ch9zSrWT

Tags
construction, development, developments, medical research, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects, research, science, science research, scientific research