daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2009, 11:42 PM   #41
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
Newgate Street is going to be so thin once all the work is done - i guess it will only be one way like it is now?
Certainly much narrower than it was . . I took this in August so it looks slightly different now, but it makes the 'thin' point quite clearly!!

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:42 PM   #42
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
What do you mean it is being cut off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
isn't it already cut off?
Meaning access to and from Newgate St will no longer be available, and the junction will be pathed over.

I'm sure many of you have seen the construction ballards that have been there for the last 2 years or so.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:47 PM   #43
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Yeah that is thin - guess it had to be done BUT i much preferred it as it was before
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:49 PM   #44
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Meaning access to and from Newgate St will no longer be available, and the junction will be pathed over.

I'm sure many of you have seen the construction ballards that have been there for the last 2 years or so.
It's been that way since the Gate opened. No traffic access. Thats one of the reasons the place has died a bit.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:06 AM   #45
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

I'm not sure if this should go here or in it's own thread, but here goes:

I'm after a bit of help from any of you (as many as possible I guess), particularly anyone that lives or has lived in Gosforth. In short, I'm having to analyse the area and get to know the social aspects of the area - what people feel about the area, how they feel it's changed, whether this is a good thing, what the positive and/or negative aspects of the area are, what makes it distinct, whether it feels like part of Newcastle or a semi-separate place etc.

What are you views? There's no one particular thing I'm after, any anecdotal stories or views are perfectly valid...

Thanks for any help in advance!
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:27 AM   #46
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post

I'm after a bit of help from any of you (as many as possible I guess), particularly anyone that lives or has lived in Gosforth. In short, I'm having to analyse the area and get to know the social aspects of the area - what people feel about the area, how they feel it's changed, whether this is a good thing, what the positive and/or negative aspects of the area are, what makes it distinct, whether it feels like part of Newcastle or a semi-separate place etc.

What are you views? There's no one particular thing I'm after, any anecdotal stories or views are perfectly valid...

The Gosforth area of Newcastle is a 'typical example' of a suburb of a large city, in it's origins, growth and physical appearence.

It is, in parts, a fairly central suburb of Newcastle, as it starts (as do a few other Newcastle suburbs, namely Fenham, Kenton and Jesmond) at the northern edge of our main City Centre park, the Town Moor. Although it also stretches almost to the northern City Boundary, its closeness to the City Centre is revealed by its post-code area . . .

NE1 - City Centre.
NE2 - Jesmond, Sandyford.
NE3 - Kenton, Gosforth, Fawdon.

It is one of the oldest Newcastle suburbs, in terms of physical development, but for many years it's residents enjoyed all the advantages of living in a large city, without having to pay for any of them through their rates (now Council Tax) as until 1974 this part of Newcastle was classed as an 'Urban District' and had its own little local authority.

This area has one of the best suburban shopping streets in the entire City. Along with the likes of Shields Road (Byker), West Road (Denton / Fenham / Elswick), Chillingham Road (Heaton), Gosforth High Street provides an excellent selection of non-City Centre style shopping.

There is also a large selection of housing wthin this suburb, from terraced houses (some very large) through to large detached houses and bungalows. In 'relatively' recent years, Newcastle 3, of which Gosforth is a part, has seen quite a major expansion 'outwards' of housing areas, mainly since the 1930s. Areas such as Brunton Park, Melton Park, Whitebridge Park, Kingston Park, and now Newcastle Great Park have all spread the Gosforth-area community northwards, pushing the 'Green belt' ever farther away.

Anyway, those are just a few quick thoughts of mine, as a current resident, on the nature of the Gosforth area of Newcastle. A canny place to live, though not my favourite part of Newcastle, as it happens!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 22nd, 2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:52 AM   #47
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1210

so what is your favourite part of newcastle, Historian?
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:08 AM   #48
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
so what is your favourite part of newcastle, Historian?
Hi Johnny,

Jesmond.

When I lived with my parents (who moved around 'endlessly') I lived in many different places in both city and country (wish they'd paid the rent!!) but I did a big chunk of my growing-up while we were living in Jesmond, so I think that is (partly) the reason why I like it so much.

It has changed a LOT, in the last ten years, but I still like it just as much . . in fact MORE!!!

Do you have a favourite part of Newcastle, including the City Centre?

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 22nd, 2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:17 AM   #49
johnnypd

Hmm, good question...i tend to like little nooks and crannies like summerhill square or old places that haven't been gentrified yet, such as down near Popolo, or the area behind the station before the turnbull was turned into apts and hanover mills burnt down/turned into flats.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:23 AM   #50
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Hmm, good question...i tend to like little nooks and crannies like summerhill square or old places that haven't been gentrified yet, such as down near Popolo, or the area behind the station before the turnbull was turned into apts and hanover mills burnt down/turned into flats.
Yeah, I have 'little favourite areas' too, but I was mainly thinking of MAIN areas when I answered the question.

I actually LOVE Hanover Street, though I much preferred it before the fire at the Bonded Warehouse, though the 'area around there' is much better now (in terms of amenities and places to actually live) than it was in the pre-fire days.

I worked in the 'rabbit warren' that was that Bonded Warehouse for a number of years, so I got a great affection for the place.

When I was a child living in Elswick, I used to visit the Summerhill Square area a fair bit, I was too young to remember it in detail, but my mother told me years later that I had told her I wanted to live there 'when I grew up' . . .

I'm still waiting . . (on both counts!)
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:41 AM   #51
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Summerhill Sq is definitely one of Newcastle's real hidden gems, so few people seem to know about the place. I'd live there in a flash. Although admittedly I have a huge affection for areas of Sandyford and Heaton towards the edges of Heaton/Armstrong Park. And the Ouseburn - of all the areas of the city, that's the one I'm most scared of being ruined by poor quality development. In fact, I quite like it the way it is...

But anyway, thanks for all of the information Historian. If I can pick your brains a bit more though, what are your more subjective views on the place? What do you like/dislike about the place? Is it changing (for the better)? We're currently doing exhaustive amounts of desk-based studies and going out and analysing the place, but we still have no idea what the issues of the area are to those people that live there. Is the area being developed in the way you'd like? If not, what is going wrong etc?

Anyway, I need to get to bed, I have to go and interview people in the rain on the High St/by ASDA tomorrow and dark rings around the eyes hardly says "come and chat to me"...
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM   #52
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

That'll centainly make for a pleasant environment should the council pedestrianise Blackett Street and run all the buses via Newgate-Grainger.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:42 PM   #53
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
That'll centainly make for a pleasant environment should the council pedestrianise Blackett Street and run all the buses via Newgate-Grainger.
Its baffling because the units to the near-left of the photograph have restaurant consent and will almost certainly want to have tables on the pavement. That'll be nice tucking into your chicken wrap while simultaneously choking on the exhaust fumes of the X20 to Prudhoe....
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:16 PM   #54
gregstone

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Summerhill Sq is definitely one of Newcastle's real hidden gems, so few people seem to know about the place. I'd live there in a flash. ...
I live there already
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:51 PM   #55
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
What do you like/dislike about the place? Is it changing (for the better)? We're currently doing exhaustive amounts of desk-based studies and going out and analysing the place, but we still have no idea what the issues of the area are to those people that live there. Is the area being developed in the way you'd like? If not, what is going wrong etc?
I have lived in Gosforth, in Garden village, for twelve years or so. I like it a lot, though when we first moved here (from Spital Tongues) it seemed a bit out on a limb. But it's handy - 20 mins by bike from town, a bus service of sorts (the spasmodically reliable 33), and Regent Centre metro and Asda at the end of the road. I don't tend to visit other residential areas much, though there's a very odd estate just north of here where the flats are all painted the same colour green and have identical 'sunburst' metal gates. The shopping centre is suffering like most others - lots of boarded up places, especially in the old tram shed building. On the other hand I welcomed the arrival of Sainsbury's, and the impending new Co-op (it gets a bit boring going to Asda all the time) and the good butcher in the now rather empty indoor shopping centre. I gather that the High Street pubs used to have a bit of a reputation but they seem OK now: I drink in the Gosforth or the County (being a real ale w***er). Of the others, the 'Northern Lights' (Queen Vic) has bitten the dust, the blacksmiths is much as it always was, and the Eldon (?) has transformed itself into a wine bar, showing that the drinking fashions of 1980s London eventually find their way to Gosforth High Street. There are one or two decent Italian (and other) restaurants on the High Street and nearby. Garden Village is pretty quiet and I'd guess the population is older than average. We had a post office - a very good and profitable one - which the PO decided in its infinite wisdom to close, but thankfully it is still trading as a neighbourhood shop. There are some traffic issues, with Hollywood Avenue being used as a cut through between the Great North Road and the A189 - but that's only a problem really in the morning and evening rush hours. The village was developed in a number of phases. The core of it was built in the 1920s by 'LNER Garden Village Ltd' to build and sell houses to railway employees at the electric train depot (now the Metro depot). then in the '30s Gosforth UDC built some council houses there (Hollywood Crescent area), and there was also some private development. Then from the 1960s there was the development of Cheswick Drive area, and then later housing at the far end: Salters Close, Turnberry Way.

In the 1960s/70s

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 9th, 2010 at 01:45 PM.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:59 PM   #56
johnnypd

the pavement looks pretty narrow to me, i doubt they'll be able to fit a terrace out there.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:07 PM   #57
kieron79

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

I have copied this from my post on residential develoments in Newcastle, whilst I did not like Grove Park I loved the proximity to The Brandling, Job Bulman etc and the shorter commute to work:

Another place I am not keen on is Grove Park in Gosforth, whilst very contemporary I did not enjoy thet short time I lived there they were a) tiny b) freezing cold and c) very impersonal in that many of the flats were rented out to airlines so the neighbourhood was very transient. We never had an actual neighbour just a load of random airline pilots or stewardesses. Also some overprivileged oinks got daddy to rent flats out for them whilst they were at uni and had numerous loud parties on a sat night, my new mini got 'egged' one evening when I challenged the loutish oafs!Like I say we only lived there a short while whilst we waited to buy our current home but would never wish to buy there, good for all the bars/metro etc but did not live up to expectations!
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:26 PM   #58
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 650

Ok guys, wish me luck, I'm about to go and ask for a job, after being made redunent about and hour and a half ago.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM   #59
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 553

good luck!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:42 PM   #60
johnnypd

good luck fella.

Tags
forum fun, forum social thread, my ipad is broken etc, newcastle, off topic, off topic discussions, skybar