search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:07 PM   #61
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,337
Likes (Received): 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Ok guys, wish me luck, I'm about to go and ask for a job, after being made redunent about and hour and a half ago.
Best of luck Chris, I have faith in you, I'm sure you'll get sorted!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM   #62
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect
 
AngerOfTheNorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,721
Likes (Received): 130

Crap - good luck mate... If all else fails, look at doing architectural tours of the city, you must know almost as much as anyone by now!

Thanks very much for the experiences of Gosforth by the way, they're all appreciated - and useful. Funnily enough I was walking around the Garden Village last weekend, it's obviously quite quiet for someone my age but I can certainly see the appeal of living there. You might even get chance to get an allotment just to the north I guess (I'm still waiting on a list for one in my area). I was also wandering around the new(ish) Grove Park development, which I must say I'm not a fan of - it really seems a very inward looking development. And I can imagine that it's a bit of a party venue, although the idea of being woken up by tipsy airstewardesses doesn't really sound that awful...

I've also noticed just how many new gated communities there are in Gosforth. I really can't see why on earth there's a need for restricted access to entire developments in Gosforth, surely in these dense little clusters of housing someone would notice if you were being burgled? Besides, I really just don't like the principle of it.

And Greg, I'd call you a lucky swine but these things happen by choice, not luck, so well done!

Last edited by AngerOfTheNorth; October 23rd, 2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Because I'm so tired I can't spell "there" any more...
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM   #63
bigchrisfgb
The Legend
 
bigchrisfgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 12,567
Likes (Received): 627

Thanks guys.

I plan on going in tomorrow just to really say bye to the lads, and see which of the management ***** can look me in the eye.
They said I could work untill the end of the month, but didn't have to, and that eaither way I would still get paid, so I'll use tomorrow as my last day, then use the rest of my paid work time as time looking for another job.
__________________
The stars are falling into bombs!

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #64
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect
 
AngerOfTheNorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,721
Likes (Received): 130

Don't take it personally in terms of the management Chris. I obviously don't know the ins and outs of the situation, but a lot of places are having to lay people off and I'm pretty sure that the management aren't enjoying it one bit. Yes, they're still in a job so the majority of the sympathy is with those that aren't, but I really doubt they wanted to get rid of a lad like you.

Also, have a look at getting one of the new temporary jobs with the Post Office/Royal Mail? Aren't they looking for temporary staff to cover the strikes at the moment?
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #65
bigchrisfgb
The Legend
 
bigchrisfgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 12,567
Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
Don't take it personally in terms of the management Chris. I obviously don't know the ins and outs of the situation, but a lot of places are having to lay people off and I'm pretty sure that the management aren't enjoying it one bit. Yes, they're still in a job so the majority of the sympathy is with those that aren't, but I really doubt they wanted to get rid of a lad like you.

Also, have a look at getting one of the new temporary jobs with the Post Office/Royal Mail? Aren't they looking for temporary staff to cover the strikes at the moment?
One major thing that concerns me in finding a job, is the fact that I have as holiday planned for next month, which has already beenpaid for etc, and it's not just a holiday, but my sister is getting married there, and with hardly any other family members or even friends going, it is something that I can not cancel.

Anyway, I applied for 2 jobs last night.
__________________
The stars are falling into bombs!

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #66
WilfBurnsFan
Registered User
 
WilfBurnsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 2,710
Likes (Received): 59

Best of luck, Chris!

Got my copy of the Newcastle & Gateshead Pevsner in the post today - and I got a new bike last Wednesday. Perhaps some explorings of central Gateshead and obscure corners of Newcastle are on the agenda.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #67
bigchrisfgb
The Legend
 
bigchrisfgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 12,567
Likes (Received): 627

Since the start of the Sub-Forum, their has been no less then 1,024 (not including this one) new posts in the Newcastle Metro Area, side of the Sub-Forum alone.

By new I mean not including all the posts that have been taken across from our exisiting threads which have been moved here. Also that number does not include the number of posts which were the first posts in each thread.

So not bad, lets keep it up.

By contrast I don't think any other Sub-Forum (of a city) as a hole has hit 1,000 since we have had ours, apart from the London one.
__________________
The stars are falling into bombs!

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #68
Geordie Ahmed
Registered User
 
Geordie Ahmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posts: 971
Likes (Received): 1

Those figures are canny (btw where did you get them from?) and shows that this sub-forum was needed
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #69
johnnypd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,422
Likes (Received): 1193

I think that justifies the demand for a newcastle sub-forum and i think that in the long run we'll continue to see more and more local forumers signing up.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #70
bigchrisfgb
The Legend
 
bigchrisfgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 12,567
Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
Those figures are canny (btw where did you get them from?) and shows that this sub-forum was needed
I went through the threads that we created on here, and added up the total post count.
__________________
The stars are falling into bombs!

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #71
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,337
Likes (Received): 1497

And which absolute 'saddo' (I wonder?) took this photo on 14th October 2009, the first day of our new Sub-Forum??


Last edited by Newcastle Historian; November 17th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #72
bigchrisfgb
The Legend
 
bigchrisfgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 12,567
Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
And which absolute 'saddo' (I wonder?) took this photo on 14th October 2009, the first day of our new Sub-Forum??

The same saddo who has big massive computer screen, the same size as many peoples tv, oh shit, it was you wasn't it Historian?
__________________
The stars are falling into bombs!

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; November 17th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #73
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,337
Likes (Received): 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
The same saddo who has big massive computer screen, the same size as many peoples tv, oh shit, it was you wasn't it Historian?
It's just a normal size computer screen!!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #74
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,337
Likes (Received): 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Since the start of the Sub-Forum, their has been no less then 1,024 (not including this one) new posts in the Newcastle Metro Area, side of the Sub-Forum alone.

By new I mean not including all the posts that have been taken across from our exisiting threads which have been moved here. Also that number does not include the number of posts which were the first posts in each thread.

So not bad, lets keep it up.

By contrast I don't think any other Sub-Forum (of a city) as a hole has hit 1,000 since we have had ours, apart from the London one.
Chris, I was going to use my wonderful photo (!) to challenge your posting figures, because . . .

My photo on 'Day 1' (14/10) shows Newcastle Metro Area Forum, with 6,934 posts.

The current post level for us today (25/10) is 7,290 posts.

So, the increase is only 356 posts!!

What is the reason for this?

Well, a very large part of it is because on 'Day 1', we had the Tyne & Wear Metro thread in the Newcastle sub-forum, and that has now been moved out to the basic 'North East' forum, and that has 607 posts in it.

The new calculation therefore is 6,934 minus 607 = 6,327 . . . then, 7,290 minus 6,327 = 963 posts.

Still not 'exactly' the same as your 1,024 posts Chris - but getting there!

(NB - I'm free to do all this exciting number-crunching, as the missus (and her friends) are all watching the X Factor, and I'd rather pose naked in Fenwicks window . . (just a personal opinion!)
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #75
johnnypd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,422
Likes (Received): 1193

^surely that is missing out the posts that had been made before you took the screenshot though - for instance the Newcastle Retail thread had 4 posts in it by then and there'd been plenty more posts made before that one was even started by BigLebowski!
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #76
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,337
Likes (Received): 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
^surely that is missing out the posts that had been made before you took the screenshot though - for instance the Newcastle Retail thread had 4 posts in it by then and there'd been plenty more posts made before that one was even started by BigLebowski!
Yes, probably, but it wasn't a huge number of posts missed.

Anyway, no matter what the figure is (1,024 or 936, or somewhere in between, cos they're quite close) then it is still a VERY STRONG PERFORMANCE BY US!!!

Shows we should have had our sub-forum a while back, really.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #77
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist
 
toonlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Whitley Bay, nr. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Posts: 1,656
Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Yes, probably, but it wasn't a huge number of posts missed.

Anyway, no matter what the figure is (1,024 or 936, or somewhere in between, cos they're quite close) then it is still a VERY STRONG PERFORMANCE BY US!!!

Shows we should have had our sub-forum a while back, really.
Seconded!
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #78
bigchrisfgb
The Legend
 
bigchrisfgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 12,567
Likes (Received): 627

Just thinking, maybe it's time we had our first SSC meet up. I mean now that our Sub-Forum is up and running, things seem to be happening a little faster in terms of developement, I just feel we could have alot to discuss, and it would be great to put faces to the names.

Anyone be up for it?
__________________
The stars are falling into bombs!

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #79
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,337
Likes (Received): 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Just thinking, maybe it's time we had our first SSC meet up. I mean now that our Sub-Forum is up and running, things seem to be happening a little faster in terms of developement, I just feel we could have alot to discuss, and it would be great to put faces to the names.

Anyone be up for it?
Well, if anyone wants to put a face to my name, . . . do you remember that Dan NUFC found this excellent 'City Council Website' of photos, and posted it on October 18th on the Historic Newcastle Photos thread? (See below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_NUFC View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlecitycouncil/

Just stumbled upon that, absolutely loads of photo's on there.
Well, I was VERY surprised looking through it the other day, to find a photo of ME (Photo number 028761 in the City Council collection) RIGHT HERE . .

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcast...74855/sizes/o/


That's me on the far left!!! (so there you are!)

.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; March 11th, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #80
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect
 
AngerOfTheNorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,721
Likes (Received): 130

I'd be up for a meet-up... Why not.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
forum fun, forum social thread, my ipad is broken etc, newcastle, off topic, off topic discussions, skybar

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu