search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2009, 01:45 AM   #101
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
On other news, the Dunston Rocket has been denied listed status, which means it can be pulled down. Another 60's building gone, keep up the good work lads.

Why did people actually want it to stay up in anyway?, surely they should be taken away to some mental home.
i like it! it's the only thing noticeable about Dunston, and i actually think it has a striking form. The technical problems withthe building are supposed to be quite severe, but i'm sure they could fix them with some investment. Anyway I guarantee the replacement will be bland and low-rise. but imagine a cruddar park style revamp, i think it could look amazing.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:11 AM   #102
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Might be a slightly random question (its for a bet actually) BUT anyone knows how long Rolls Royce has been on Scotswood Road?
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:27 AM   #103
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
Might be a slightly random question (its for a bet actually) BUT anyone knows how long Rolls Royce has been on Scotswood Road?
Well, I'm not sure where exactly you mean, but if you mean the building on the corner next to the City Council public tip? Then it was certainly there in 1986.

I used to do business with them then.

It was then called (to give it its full name) Vickers Pressings - a division of Rolls Royce.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:10 PM   #104
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Working in the particular area of health that I do though I can tell you the tower blocks in Dunston and Teams are horrid places to live. Rubbish is just thrown out of the windows and the binmen won't collect it as residents were throwing needles out of the windows at them. A young girl 'fell' to her death at a party from Redheugh court although it's fairly common knowledge a known 'face' threw her out of the window for spurning his advances (however no one is willing to testify to this fact)... Drug dealers use the roof to scare the shit out of people who don't pay for their goods by hanging them off the roof by their ankles. The towers are awash with heroin and run by the gangs. There are decent residents too but they are very much in the minority, not a very inviting place to live at all.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:14 PM   #105
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

^The Dunston Rocket is currently empty, or at least with only a couple of residents, so i don't think that one has the same problems.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:20 PM   #106
Geordie Ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Well, I'm not sure where exactly you mean, but if you mean the building on the corner next to the City Council public tip? Then it was certainly there in 1986.

It was then called (to give it its full name) Vickers Pressings - a division of Rolls Royce.
Sorry for the vagueness - Im talking about the bit where the blue footbridge is. They seem to have a big Rolls Royce badge on it now, which i think is a relatively recent thing BUT i was under the impression its been there for ages (which is 10-15 years as far as my memory can go back)
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:25 PM   #107
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
Working in the particular area of health that I do though I can tell you the tower blocks in Dunston and Teams are horrid places to live. Rubbish is just thrown out of the windows and the binmen won't collect it as residents were throwing needles out of the windows at them. A young girl 'fell' to her death at a party from Redheugh court although it's fairly common knowledge a known 'face' threw her out of the window for spurning his advances (however no one is willing to testify to this fact)... Drug dealers use the roof to scare the shit out of people who don't pay for their goods by hanging them off the roof by their ankles. The towers are awash with heroin and run by the gangs. There are decent residents too but they are very much in the minority, not a very inviting place to live at all.
Thats horrible, their a reason why some people should be killed, drug dealer, murders, rapists, peado's etc, but not for rejecting someone advances, I hope one day someone throws him off a roof.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:30 PM   #108
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:

Quote:
Sorry for the vagueness - Im talking about the bit where the blue footbridge is. They seem to have a big Rolls Royce badge on it now, which i think is a relatively recent thing BUT i was under the impression its been there for ages (which is 10-15 years as far as my memory can go back)
Now, we MAY be talking about the same place . . . not certain. Certainly the one I mention was a part of Rolls Royce, and has been there since (at least) 1986.

The 'blue footbridge' may (actually) be a little bit further East, towards Scotswood Bridge? In that case it is another Vickers company you are talking about. This one didn't even have the name Vickers in it's title. It was called (in the 80s and 90s and possibly early 'noughties') Michell Bearings. They produced all sorts of ball-bearings for the engineering industry. It could well be that 'Rolls Royce' have now taken this company over . . or they may have put a totally different company into the 'Vickers Michell Bearings' building. Either way, the earliest/oldest date they can have been there (Rolls Royce) 'must be' only late 90s.

That is, if that is the one you mean, and not the Rolls Royce building I first mentioned, further west near the tip, that has been there since 1986!!!

Bet you're glad you asked!
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:34 PM   #109
Geordie Ahmed

Its all knowledge so i am glad i asked

I have realised just to make things easier this is the exact building im referring to

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...162.14,,0,2.51
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:38 PM   #110
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Its all knowledge so i am glad i asked

I have realised just to make things easier this is the exact building im referring to

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...162.14,,0,2.51
Yes, that is (was) the Michell Bearings building, and they were there until the LATE 1990's (at least the NAME was still there). Used to do a lot of business with them too! (but not after about 1989)
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:44 PM   #111
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Lots of posts today guys, more then yesterday already, I think their maybe more then yesterday and the day before combined already aswell. Keep it up, we are putting Sunderland, Hull, Boro, and not to mention all the other Sub-Forums to shame.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:20 PM   #112
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Lots of posts today guys, more then yesterday already, I think their maybe more then yesterday and the day before combined already aswell. Keep it up, we are putting Sunderland, Hull, Boro, and not to mention all the other Sub-Forums to shame.
AND (importantly) it is 'quality', not just quantity too . . .
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:26 PM   #113
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
AND (importantly) it is 'quality', not just quantity too . . .
yeah, it's mostly good news, and constructive posts aswell.

No need for a Sub-Forum, eh?

You did well Historian.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:42 PM   #114
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

i see Owen Luder has been lambasting Gateshead council, giving it the old 'no-one understands my work' following the Dunston Rocket announcement. The fact that councils across the land have been demolishing his unworkable (and uninhabitable) follies should tell him something. Im not basing this on any fact, but i bet he doesn't live in one of his own drug-addled towers.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...name_page.html

Quote:
yeah, it's mostly good news, and constructive posts aswell.

No need for a Sub-Forum, eh?

You did well Historian.
Hear hear, its been a resounding success. Take a bow gents...
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:35 PM   #115
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Thats horrible, their a reason why some people should be killed, drug dealer, murders, rapists, peado's etc
You really are a Tory aren't you?
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:54 PM   #116
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
You really are a Tory aren't you?
I don't give my vote to anyone, but yes, tories have so far earned my vote in the coming elections.

I don't see why my political stance has any bearing on what justice is right for those individuals though.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:22 PM   #117
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Cruddas Park development off, see here:http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-25059291/
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:41 PM   #118
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

I was just pulling your leg, but the death penalty is arguably a bit more of a right wing idea (although admittedly plenty of Communist regimes have used it).

As for Cruddas Park, I really don't like the towers to be honest as they leave a very barren landscape at ground level. However if they could have been reused in a positive way that would have been much better than pulling them down.

Besides, if we can't afford to refit perfectly stable existing buildings, surely we can't afford to build new houses on the site, so the best thing would be to mothball the buildings until the outlook is a little rosier?
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:30 PM   #119
Geordie Ahmed

Might as well throw this question here - Does anyone know if the Nando's in the Blue Mall (MetroCentre) will be closing - the Nando's in the Yellow Mall (Qube) has recently opened BUT it looks a little small
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM   #120
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Cure for hang overs anyone?

And don't say time please.

Newcastle Metro Area

Tags
forum fun, forum social thread, my ipad is broken etc, newcastle, off topic, off topic discussions, skybar