search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #21
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Brilliant thread, keep em coming lads. It's very interesting for me to see the parts of Newcastle I never had the chance to see. Look forward to seeing many more.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #22
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 4

You must have did some digging Historian .. i didn't realise i'd posted those images .... I have more arial images from the 60's including ousburn pre-byker wall etc.

I have many more general historic photos of tyneside guys .. too many to post but if you just want to let me know what parts of the city you are interested in i'll see what I have
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #23
Dan_NUFC

Likes (Received): 1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlecitycouncil/

Just stumbled upon that, absolutely loads of photo's on there.
Dan_NUFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #24
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_NUFC View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlecitycouncil/

Just stumbled upon that, absolutely loads of photo's on there.
Dan, that is a fantastic site - I didn't know about it at all!

The below are also some very good NEWCASTLE PHOTOS sites . . .

http://www.timarchive.freeuk.com/index.htm

http://www.newcastleupontynedailyphoto.com/

http://newcastlephotos.blogspot.com/...warehouse.html
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM   #25
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Not sure whether i've posted any of these before but since we now have a dedicated thread here's some fascinating images of the Tyne Bridge during construction

enjoy

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:04 PM   #26
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

King Charles House, Shieldfield, a 400 year old house which was King Charles 1st's day house while he was held captive in Newcastle.

Shamefully demolished for the Shieldfield council estate.

Awaiting demolition, with the 1960s flats being built in the background.

This would most likely be grade 1 listed and one of the city's most famous buildings had it survived to the present day.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 7th, 2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Restored broken links to photos.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:38 PM   #27
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 22

Exploring the VICTORIA TUNNEL

Just having a look at old maps, and it looks like the Victoria Tunnel went pretty much right under it! The annoying thing that the buildings that it was replaced with aren't there any more, just the green and some parking. Good god, this thread is a little depressing!
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM   #28
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

More posts transferred from our old "Full Summary of Projects" thread . . .

SUBJECT - THE IMPACT OF THE CENTRAL MOTORWAY PLANS ON OUR CITY CENTRE IN THE 1970s. SHOWN IN OLD MAPS AND PLANNERS MODELS.

posted by maxtoon, on 8th September 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtoon View Post
Check out the original plan for the motorway system which was only partly built .. what a disaster this would have been. All the junctions were actually built as they would have been hence the numerous roads to nowhere on the Jesmond and Town moor junctions.

thank god the funding ran out

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 21st, 2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM   #29
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

SUBJECT - THE IMPACT OF THE CENTRAL MOTORWAY PLANS ON OUR CITY CENTRE IN THE 1970s. SHOWN IN OLD MAPS AND PLANNERS MODELS.

Quote:
totally agree, but check out the original plan for the motorway system which was only partly built .. what a disaster this would have been. All the junctions were actually built as they would have been hence the numerous roads to nowhere on the Jesmond and Town moor junctions. thank god the funding ran out
Quote:

Excellent plan of "Newcastle-Motorway City" maxtoon. This place would have been as bad as (if not worse than) Birmingham or Manchester, if this had all happened.

The plans below show it in even more detail, with all the pillars, flyovers, and slip roads shown in relief. It is amazing to see that in addition to the CME ('Central Motorway East' - built) and the CMW ('Central Motorway West') and CCM ('Cross City Motoway') there was also going to be a "CME Bypass" . . . with a new bridge!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 15th, 2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM   #30
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Posted by maxtoon, 8th September 2009

Quote:
nice map Historian ..

yup .. unbelievable they were even considering an eastern motorway over the river !!

this is how the intersection between the Central and Eastern motorway with the also proposed east/west 'cross city motorway' was going to look !!

what a bloody mess

image hosted on flickr
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM   #31
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Posted by Newcastle Historian, 8th September 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Great photo maxtoon - here is the same junction from a different direction (from the North). Notice that there is a 'posh-looking' proposed Bus Station, shown on both your photo maxtoon, and this one. It was a planned Long Distance Coach Station (to replace Gallowgate Coach station) and this is ONE piece of these 1960s plans that I would have liked to have seen happen.

As for the rest of the 'proposed' City Centre here - it is hardly recognisable is it? Actually, I think that many of the buildings shown, are 'indicative' rather than firm planned development proposals.

Old October 21st, 2009, 06:43 PM   #32
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Posted by maxtoon, 9th September 2009

Quote:
would love to have seen that full model historian !!

here's some pics of Newcastle in the 60's before the central motorway destroyed it .. nice to see Jesmond rd actually reach the city before it was oh so nicely cut off in it's prime and now leaving only a pathetic dead end street. also notice the old haymarket bus station !

also gives you an idea of streets that were lost to make way for it ..

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM   #33
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Originally posted by Newcastle Historian, 9th September 2009

Quote:
These photos really 'take you back' maxtoon, I think they must have been taken circa '1968' as they show a lot of the Newcastle University Campus, and it looks like the 'Claremont Complex' of the University (Merz Court and Claremont Tower and Bridge) are very 'white-roofed' and newly completed or still being completed.

I also notice that there looks like there is a bit of site-preparation work going on for the site of the new 'University Theatre' (so that could make the photos nearer to 1969/70) though I may be mistaken - it could just be parked cars that I see!

The 'University Theatre' was (as we know) to eventually be renamed as 'Newcastle Playhouse' and now of course as 'Northern Stage'.

I can also see that the worst plot on Percy Street, the 'Oxfam Corner' is already vacant and being used as a carpark, before the current temporary (temporary?) buildings were put up on there.

The first photo gives a lovely view straight down Jesmond Road from the Haymarket, when (as you say) it was still connected to the City Centre. As a child I can remember getting the number 33 bus (a trollybus that ran every 3 or 4 minutes) from the City Centre along through Haymarket, past the famous traffic policeman in the centre of the road, along Jesmond Road and then turning left into Osborne Road.

I can understand what you say when you refer to Jesmond Road after it was cut-off, in 1975, as being a "pathetic dead end street", which it was indeed, for quite a few years. It actually has a bit more life back in it now (though still 'cut off' of course) as the University has always well maintained the North side of the cut off street, and now the South side has become a row of VERY expensive (and quite attractive) £1M+ houses.

I still much preferred it as it was pre-1975, but it 'feels' better now than it has for years. I took this photo in January this year (it looks even better in the summer) when we (unusually) had a bit of snow in and around the City Centre. The thing I don't like though (not shown in the photo) is that all you can see out of the front window of these very expensive houses, is a row of cars parked 'end on' up against the opposite kerb.
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:22 PM   #34
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Thanks, it's interesting to see.

Personally, by that picture I don't think we lost anything with that building, I much prefer Monumant Mall to that, though somemay find it bland, I personally think it's one of the best modern/newish buildings Newcastle has.

P.S. For the love of god, will this thread go onto page 2 soon.

I think it's a nice looking building, I've seen a photo somewhere where there is less traffic, (maybe one old tram) and the building is a Burton shop with nice big canopys above the shop windows. It looks glorious.

I'll try and find it somwehere.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:56 AM   #35
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

This is from the "City Centre Retail" thread, but it seems appropriate to have a COPY of this particular post also in the Historic Newcastle Photos thread . . .

Quote:
Here are the promised Prudhoe Street photos. I think it is interesting to see the 'original' Northumberland Arms, knowing it is standing pretty much where the new one (post-1976) is now . . .

Looking up Prudhoe Street from Northumberland Street to Percy Street. Note the 'old' M&S is still there, prior to it's own late 1960s development into its current building, which has since been extended again, of course

At the extreme left of the above photo is the Northumberland Arms . . you cannot see it above, so here it is
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:14 PM   #36
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Chris . . . here is a more considered reply to your request for a look at what the 'corner of Northumberland St/Blackett St' and 'next to Grey's Monument' looked like - pre Monument Mall.

Quote:
Has anyone got any pics of what was before Monumant mall, both on Northumberland St, and at Monument. Though it's a fairly new building, I was only 3 or so at the time it was complete.
Quote:
Chris,

This is where Monument Mall is at Northumberland St (corner with Blackett St) - so this shows the buildings that were replaced by Monument Mall there.

image hosted on flickr

I will find a picture of 'further along' Blackett Street, near Grey's Monument and post it later on, and I may have a colour picture of the above corner.

Cheers.
Quote:
Thanks, it's interesting to see.

Personally, by that picture I don't think we lost anything with that building, I much prefer Monumant Mall to that, though somemay find it bland, I personally think it's one of the best modern/newish buildings Newcastle has.
Here you are . . .

More of 'the corner' from the 1960s.

From the 'late 1970s', in colour

This (I think) is the early 1980s, as I (actually) remember those roadworks on the corner. Remind me to tell you a story about 'me and those' . . one day!!

Along Blackett St (as requested) to next to Grey's Monument. The tall building in the background, to the LEFT of Grey's Monument, was the 'main' City Centre Post Office up to the early 1980s. NOT the 'Head Post Office' that was in what is now the flats opposite St Nicholas Cathedral (it was also the building to where all road signs to Newcastle City Centre were measured), but this one in Blackett street was the busiest, that moved to where Poundland now is in Eldon Square and then onto upstairs at Smiths on Northumberland st (getting 'worse' with each move).

An earlier one (1955) of the tall building . . .

and finally, the same spot in 1916 - even before the tall building!!

So NOW you know, you ("only 3 or so at the time Monument Mall was built") 'young-un'!!!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 22nd, 2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:24 PM   #37
up the tigers

Likes (Received): 21

What a great thread. Those photos of the Tyne Bridge are particularly impressive, as are the monstrous road proposals. A road bypassing a motorway- never hear of that one before.

Time to make a thread like this for Hull
up the tigers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:35 PM   #38
gregstone

Likes (Received): 20

Had never realised Rye Hill was as good as that back in the day..... the council built some absolutely terrible maisonettes on the area where the fire station is now, which was demolished in the 80s.
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:28 PM   #39
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

... 1955 (posted by Newcastle Historian)

image hosted on flickr
.. Same view c.1901 showing the laying of electric tram lines
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:55 PM   #40
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 22

When did trams actually leave Newcastle, and what was the reason at the time? It's such a shame that pretty much every city was sorted for public transport before we all started getting cars, and now everywhere's screwed!
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 of 2 historic threads, architecture, cities, city, development, developments, england, historic, historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, map, maps, newcastle, newcastle photos, newcastle upon tyne, old photos, photography, united kingdom