daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM   #1
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1210

South Shields, Jarrow and Hebburn Area - Developments

Council Blurb:

A new town centre for Hebburn
On 5th March 2008, South Tyneside Council selected a 'preferred developer' for the redevelopment of Hebburn Town Centre. The 'preferred developer' selected is a consortium of Spenhill (the regeneration subsidiary of Tesco plc), Bellway Homes and Gentoo.

The consortium is proposing to transform Hebburn Town Centre and Newtown with an exciting mix of new housing, shop and office units, a Tesco supermarket, a community hub including a library and Council Customer Service Centre and a family restaurant and public house.

Shields Gazette write-up:

Quote:
A MAJOR Tesco superstore will form part of a multi-million pound blueprint for a new-look Hebburn town centre, we can reveal today.
In what is the biggest and most ambitious regeneration scheme of its kind ever announced for Hebburn, the consortium of Tesco, Bellway Homes and Gentoo has been selected by South Tyneside Council as its preferred bidder for the transformation of the shabby and outdated town centre.

But the huge redevelopment will also involve flattening such local landmarks as Hebburn Library and the Iona Social Club, plus the Netto store and much of the west side of Station Road.

A lengthy compulsory purchase process may have to be launched to make way for what planners say will be a shopping centre fit for the 21st century.

But councillors and planning bosses are convinced the visionary scheme will win the backing of people in the area, who have complained bitterly for decades about the poor state of Hebburn town centre.

Coun Eddie McAtominey, the council's lead member for jobs, enterprise and regeneration, said: "Tesco has produced an exciting design solution that delivers true transformation and a new town centre of which the people of Hebburn – and I am one of them – can be justly proud.

"Their proposals include demolition and redevelopment of the dowdy and depressing shopping centre and car park, along with the Newtown flats and maisonettes and the commercial properties in Station Road and Victoria Road West."

The council has pledged full public consultation throughout the scheme, which could take between three and five years.

Apart from a major name superstore, the scheme will include 200 new homes, including 50 new social rented properties, a new library, community facilities, a customer service centre, a small conference or gallery and a cafe, new business units, plus pedestrian links and improved parking and lighting.

Coun McAtominey added: "The reality is that Hebburn shopping centre was built in the early 1960s and is sub-standard and totally inadequate.

"By creating this new town centre, we are looking to provide an excellent facility, not just for people today, but for future generations.

"This scheme cannot be piecemeal – we had to go for an ambitious development which took in the whole town centre."

South Tyneside Council looked at four shortlisted schemes before selecting the consortium led by retail giant Tesco.

Community area forum chairman Coun John McCabe said: "We have waited many years for this. I believe it is a pivotal day for Hebburn.

"The council has been very thorough and has made the right decision.

"This is a scheme of great quality, it will give a much-needed boost to the town's economy and restore pride in its appearance.

"Hebburn people are enthusiastic about this transformation; they want improvements and I know that, like me, they will welcome this news and look forward to their dreams becoming a reality."

Senior council officers assessed all four schemes and the developers presented their ideas to a panel of councillors, including Couns McAtominey and McCabe.

Coun Joe Abbott from Hebburn North ward, who was a member of the panel, and said:

"I am satisfied that the Tesco proposal will deliver the best scheme to secure a transformation of Hebburn town centre.

"It will bring significant environment, economic and social benefits to the area.

"I was encouraged by the quality of ambition of all the proposals, but I am sure that we have made the right choice and the people of Hebburn will agree with us."
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Dan_NUFC

Likes (Received): 3

I live in Hebburn, and I have to say the town centre is an absolute shit hole. I have seen nothing to suggest the redevelopment could start any time soon either sadly.

I have to say the sooner this starts the better.
Dan_NUFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:57 PM   #3
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

The centre of Hebburn is a dump, but this will be a pretty cheap and nasty looking redevelopment...
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:09 PM   #4
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
The centre of Hebburn is a dump, but this will be a pretty cheap and nasty looking redevelopment...
yet more "Tesco regeneration" too, just how many bloody stores do they need?? Personally i'm not against them building here, but when you add it against all the other cheap tacky Spen Hill nonsense they're trying to put in gateshead and the west road it doesn't build a good impression of the company.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Craptacular... though Hebburn is a shithole so anything will be an improvement.

I used to work in that now empty office tower next to the metro station, what a dump.

Seeing Spenhills plans for Hebburn and Gateshead makes you think Sunderland ARC have definitely done the right thing fighting to stop them building on the Vaux site!
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
Craptacular... though Hebburn is a shithole so anything will be an improvement.

I used to work in that now empty office tower next to the metro station, what a dump.

Seeing Spenhills plans for Hebburn and Gateshead makes you think Sunderland ARC have definitely done the right thing fighting to stop them building on the Vaux site!
Is that the Reyrolle building? i also worked there briefly for the Inland Revenue - you are right, it was terrible
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:01 AM   #7
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Yep, though I doubt TESCO will be allowed big stores in both Hebburn and Gateshead Town Centre, the monopoly commission might have something to say.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
Is that the Reyrolle building? i also worked there briefly for the Inland Revenue - you are right, it was terrible
Thats the one, I temped there for the Revenue but never went back the second day, was quite possibly the worst job & building in the World!

The job was typing tax returns, paid per keystroke but with no letters on the keys and computers made by BAe sometime in the 70s I think! You had a hooter that said when you could go to the toilet. It was like the place that time forgot.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:06 AM   #9
Dan_NUFC

The exterior of that building does look absolutely hideous like, I can't believe they haven't knocked it down yet, it's been empty for quite a while I think.

These plans do look a bit bland like, but seriously anything is better than Hebburn Town centre as it is at the moment, I cannot stress how bad it is.

Last edited by Dan_NUFC; October 22nd, 2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:28 AM   #10
Geordie Ahmed

Quote:
Thats the one, I temped there for the Revenue but never went back the second day, was quite possibly the worst job & building in the World!

The job was typing tax returns, paid per keystroke but with no letters on the keys and computers made by BAe sometime in the 70s I think! You had a hooter that said when you could go to the toilet. It was like the place that time forgot.
Thats exactly what i did, through Kelly Services - unfortunately i needed the money so i cudnt leave though i was heavily tempted to do so.

Atleast i wasnt in that building for too long, after the training we went to Longbenton - the job was still rubbish BUT the building was a million times better.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Thats exactly what i did, through Kelly Services - unfortunately i needed the money so i cudnt leave though i was heavily tempted to do so.

Atleast i wasnt in that building for too long, after the training we went to Longbenton - the job was still rubbish BUT the building was a million times better.
Yep mine was through Kelly too... What a joke of a job, ended up instead at a call centre at central station but it was 200x better than that place. Well done for sticking it out so long mate!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:36 AM   #12
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

It is admittedly better than what's there, but surely South Tyneside could hold out for something faintly better?! The housing is drifting in a swaith of undefined green-ish space like some 1950-70's council housing, the supermarket is just a cheap shed, the recladding on the tower looks like a 14 year old on work experience week was told to think up something "wacky", there looks to be no decent materials in sight and the vast car park is only enclosed properly on two sides.

And sadly, I don't think Tesco will have a shred of bother getting permission for both this and Gateshead... If only.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:04 AM   #13
Geordie Ahmed

Quote:
Yep mine was through Kelly too... What a joke of a job, ended up instead at a call centre at central station but it was 200x better than that place. Well done for sticking it out so long mate!
Dont say it was for National Rail Enquiries?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Dont say it was for National Rail Enquiries?
Aye! I've also worked at Sitel at Gosforth Business Park, the ministry and Northern Rock... I think I must've done every stock Newcastle job in my youth (except for Greggs thankgod!).
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:47 PM   #15
kieron79

I used to live in Hebburn too! God that place is a toilet!!! Personally anything they put there will be better than what is currenty there its like downtown Bagdad around there, the nativity they used to put out at Christmas was the funniest thing I have ever seen.
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:05 PM   #16
Geordie Ahmed

Quote:
Aye! I've also worked at Sitel at Gosforth Business Park, the ministry and Northern Rock... I think I must've done every stock Newcastle job in my youth (except for Greggs thankgod!).
I worked for NRES for about 8 months back in 2002 as well
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM   #17
Dan_NUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
I used to live in Hebburn too! God that place is a toilet!!! Personally anything they put there will be better than what is currenty there its like downtown Bagdad around there, the nativity they used to put out at Christmas was the funniest thing I have ever seen.
USED to put out? They still do.

It looks pathetic though, a huge wooden box with a crap display inside.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM   #18
kieron79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_NUFC View Post
USED to put out? They still do.

It looks pathetic though, a huge wooden box with a crap display inside.
may have to pop over some time for a laugh..... second thoughts!.....
Honestly though that place needs redevloped, it has been left to rot over the years
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM   #19
Dan_NUFC

It has indeed, Hebburn isn't really a bad place apart from the town centre. The fact that the Library and Netto are decribed as landmarks in the article is absolutely laughable and sums the area up for me.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 01:58 AM   #20
Tyne

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:

Haha I did that exact same job, I managed to last two weeks and two days before walking.
Tyne no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, newcastle, south shields, south tyneside