search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2010, 04:03 PM   #41
architect1976
Architect

Likes (Received): 261

And..

Quote:
Work starts on eyesore demolition

Published Date:
30 July 2010
By Terry Kelly
WORK has finally started to demolish one of the most prominent eyesores in South Tyneside.
The massive Reyrolle office building in Hebburn, which towers over the town's Metro station, has stood empty for four years, sparking calls from angry residents and councillors for the seven-storey complex to be flattened.

But asbestos had to be stripped from the 1960s building, and there were also complex negotiations between owners Persimmon Homes and transport officials, because of the close proximity of railway lines.

Earlier this year, police warned that youngsters were dicing with death by trespassing in the building, with four teenagers even spotted on the roof of the 100ft property, which was once home to more than 200 members of staff of the Department of Work and Pensions.

Coun Joe Abbott, for the Hebburn North ward, who has pressed for demolition of the building for several years, said: "I'm glad that the work has at long last started.

"Various issues have slowed down the work, and red panels on the building, which are fixed with asbestos-based cement, have still to be removed.

"This work will not happen overnight, and I should think it could take more than three months before the whole building is flattened, but at least demolition has started.

"Residents have complained about the state of the Reyrolle building for several years and this work is long-overdue, but there have been complex issues involved.

"The location of the building, right next to a Metro track and mineral railway line, has just made the job even more complex."

Hebburn photographer Kevin Blair snapped the demolition squad getting into action on the highly visible eyesore, which is seen daily by thousands of Metro passengers.

Coun Abbott added: "I believe the rubble removed from the building will be used to create a new raised area around the site, and the ultimate aim is to build new homes on the land.

"I know people have been frustrated about the time this demolition has taken, but at least they can now see some physical evidence that the work has started.

"This is the beginning of the end, but I don't think the Reyrolle building will be completely down until late November."
architect1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #42
NC_Rey

Likes (Received): 0

Reyrolle Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Anyone know what's happening with the Reyrolle building in Hebburn? The last I saw it was still standing, but was being slowly vandalised which was an awful sight to see.
Hello,

My Great Grandfather was Alphonse Reyrolle. He originally created and developed Reyrolle in London, and then in Newcastle.

I have just been once to Newcastle when I was 14/15, I now have 38 years old.

What do you call the Reyrolle building, can you please locate it for me on google maps? Is there some picture of it. If it still partly up I would appreciate to see it before it doesn't exist any more...

Many thank's for your help,

Nicolas (Paris, France)

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; November 8th, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
NC_Rey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #43
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

Hi Nicolas,

Here's a good place to start: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5834230...n/photostream/

Hopefully some of the other people on this site will have more/better images for you, but this is a good start.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #44
Deebex

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1976 View Post
General Havelock is now gone:

Now that was an eyesore.

I looked at that image an immediately thought it was the 'Head of Steam' opposite Central Station. Then realised there wasn't a bigger building around it. Wierd how your mind works sometimes - especially in relation to visual impressions of pubs.
Deebex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #45
NC_Rey

Likes (Received): 0

Hi,

Thank you, I have continued to search on the web and finally found some pics, but not those.

From my only visit in Newcastle, 25 years ago, I remembered some older and smaller building that are still (at this time) used by Reyrolle. I was afraid that the post was talking about the Reyrolle/Siemens Building.

Thanks for your help and if any of you have information about Reyrolle in Newcastle do not hesitate to send me an email at : reyrolle(dot)nc(at)gmail(dot)com

Thank you
Nicolas
NC_Rey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 04:37 PM   #46
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

I was in South Shields last week and noticed that work is now under way on the Riverside BT Office at the ferry landing.

Apparently a tender is out for the new swimming pool next to the sea hotel too.

Nice to see some regeneration happening in Shields.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #47
architect1976
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
Council Blurb:

A new town centre for Hebburn
On 5th March 2008, South Tyneside Council selected a 'preferred developer' for the redevelopment of Hebburn Town Centre. The 'preferred developer' selected is a consortium of Spenhill (the regeneration subsidiary of Tesco plc), Bellway Homes and Gentoo.

The consortium is proposing to transform Hebburn Town Centre and Newtown with an exciting mix of new housing, shop and office units, a Tesco supermarket, a community hub including a library and Council Customer Service Centre and a family restaurant and public house.

Shields Gazette write-up:
South Tyneside council have pulled the plug on the Tesco scheme.

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #48
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

You hear that Gateshead? You hear that?!

Well done South Tyneside!
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #49
architect1976
Architect

Gazette reporting it now.

Quote:
£50m Tesco revamp plan gets the boot

Scrapped ... the Tesco scheme for Hebburn town centre.

ADVERTISEMENT

Published Date:
10 September 2010
By Terry Kelly
FED-UP councillors have taken the shock decision to pull the plug on a £50m joint town centre redevelopment scheme with retail giant Tesco, the Gazette can reveal today.
The ambitious plans to transform battered Hebburn shopping centre have been on the drawing board for more than two years.

But frustrated South Tyneside Council has decided enough is enough and scrapped talks with its preferred bidder, the Tesco-led consortium.

The move follows mounting protests from Hebburn residents and shoppers about how long the scheme – which would have seen most of the shopping centre flattened – has dragged on.

* Was the council right to pull the plug on the Tesco scheme in a bid to kick-start the regeneration of Hebburn? E-mail us your views by clicking on this link.

Coun Eddie McAtominey, chairman of the Hebburn Town Centre Regeneration Board and one of the early architects of the transformation blueprint, said: "I'm very disappointed at the consortium's lack of progress with this scheme.

"It is very frustrating, particularly as I would have thought it was a great opportunity for them."

The plans would have incorporated a new Tesco store and a community hub, including a new library and housing.

The announcement comes weeks after a smaller rival scheme was unveiled by Asda, which could create 120 new jobs, but would not include any new housing or social regeneration.

Despite the council cabinet deciding this week to terminate negotiations with Tesco, council bosses say the move has nothing to do with the Asda scheme.

And the council has pledged to press ahead with plans to demolish poor-quality housing in the town centre and provide new homes for tenants.

Coun McAtominey added: "Local people have shown great patience over the last two years, and I'm pleased that the council has agreed to provide further rehousing assistance for Hebburn Newtown tenants.

"The sooner we can help people in these maisonettes find better accommodation, and get the blocks demolished, the better.

"Despite this setback, we are determined to progress this scheme to provide a first-class town centre for the people of Hebburn."

Coun Alan Kerr, deputy leader of South Tyneside Council, said: "The council remains committed to securing Hebburn town centre's regeneration, and we are now investigating alternative ways of delivering new housing and retail developments.

"We are pressing ahead with the relocation of tenants from the maisonette blocks and, once they are vacant, we will be demolishing them to create a cleared development site."

The council has also awarded Band 1 priority status to the remaining tenants in Thistle and Exeter Courts, which will will help them find new homes.

A spokesman for Tesco said: "When the consortium successfully won the tender to redevelop Hebburn town centre in early 2008, we were working in a very different economic climate.

"There have been notable changes in the economic situation across the UK that led us to amend our proposals, and we do not feel that these changes have been fully accounted for by South Tyneside Council."

The Tesco plans were first revealed by the Gazette in early March 2008.

* Was the council right to pull the plug on the Tesco scheme? Take part in Today's Vote >>>>

Page 1 of 1
Last Updated: 10 September 2010 11:29 AM
Source: n/a
Old September 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #50
architect1976
Architect

Work has started on the pool

Quote:
Swim hero launches £15m pool work

Published Date:
16 September 2010
By Lisa Nightingale
SWIMMING star Chris Cook made a splash when he returned to South Tyneside to help clear the way for a new £15m pool and leisure complex.
The double Commonwealth gold medallist swapped his swimming cap for a hard hat to take the controls of a JCB as he joined workmen on the site of the new development.

As well as a 25-metre pool, the new complex in Pier Parade, South Shields, will aADVERTISEMENT

lso include a learner pool, fitness suite, sauna, café and exhibition space.

Chris, 31, demolished the opposition in Melbourne in 2006 to win double gold, and yesterday he was on hand as the former Majestic and Quasar Laser buildings were reduced to rubble to make way for the new site, which is due to open in 2012.

Chris, who also took part at the 2004 Olympics in Athens, said: "It's all quite exciting, and as well as benefiting people in the area, it will also bring an added boost to tourism.

"When I was training it was quite intense, so to have a facility like this on your doorstep is ideal for aspiring athletes coming through.

"And because it is here in South Shields, it may encourage others to take up the sport.

"It is just perfect and something I wish I had when I was growing up."

The pool, designed by East Sussex-based LA Architects, is expected to have eight lanes and a moveable floor.

South Tyneside swimming coach Ken Nesworthy, is excited by the new
complex.

He said: "This is an excellent development for South Tyneside and provides an opportunity for youngsters in the town to develop their swimming talents without them having to leave the area.

"I would like to thank all the councillors for their backing in getting this development off the ground."

It is thought demolition of the properties on Pier Parade will take between four and six weeks to complete.

Coun Tracey Dixon, South Tyneside Council's lead member for culture and well-being, added: "We are really excited about the new swimming pool coming to the foreshore, which will bring fantastic benefits for the young people of the borough and people who travel to the
area.

"It's exciting times for all of us and we are really looking forward to the opening of the new South Shields swimming pool in 2012."

Page 1 of 1
Last Updated: 17 September 2010 8:20 AM
http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/S...ool.6535493.jp
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #51
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

That IS good news!

I have added this information to the South Shields Pool 'Project Thread', also.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1002059
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:05 AM   #52
architect1976
Architect

More on the Hebburn scheme.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/D...amp.6542184.jp

Quote:
Disappointment over Hebburn revamp

Back to the drawing board ... Coun Eddie McAtominey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Published Date:
21 September 2010
By Terry Kelly
DISAPPOINTED councillors and planners have admitted they are "back to the drawing board" after the collapse of a £50m town centre regeneration scheme.
South Tyneside Council recently pulled the plug on joint plans with retail giant Tesco to create a new-look Hebburn town centre.

The decision was made after Tesco failed to hit several deadlines set by council bosses, and because of growing frustration over the consortium's apparent lack of progress.

Now the council hopes to reopen talks with rival retail chains – and have called on people in the town to again be patient.

But members of Hebburn community area forum this week faced demands for more action to improve the battered town centre, which has been in a poor state for many years.

Coun Eddie McAtominey, chairman of the Hebburn Town Centre Regeneration Board, said: "I'm bitterly disappointed at the lack of progress with Tesco.

"I've spent two and a half years on this scheme, which started with such optimism for the people of Hebburn.

"But the council decision is that the Tesco scheme is flattened."

Coun McAtominey warned that a rival store scheme, recently floated by Asda, would be too small for Hebburn town centre.

He added: "We have to grasp the nettle. Tesco won't happen, but we will fight on."

Referring to the junked Tesco scheme, Rick O'Farrell, head of enterprise and regeneration at the council, said: "It's back to the drawing board in its entirety."

But he stressed that the council would "open talks with a variety of people".

Several residents expressed their disappointment at the forum
about the long-running retail saga of Hebburn shopping centre.

There were calls for "more leadership" from the council and for ongoing plans to flatten and rebuild poor housing in the town centre to be carried out separately from the retail development.

The council has awarded priority status to residents in properties set for demolition, and pledged to continue with improving housing in Hebburn Newtown.

Forum chairman Coun John McCabe said the only agenda for supermarket giants was to "make money", and that councils could not tell retailers how to act.

He added: "We've got to negotiate and compromise.

"I want a more ambitious project, because we are thinking about the kids of the future.

"This scheme has to last 40 to 50 years. We can't think small."

The Asda announcement outlined plans for a new store that would create 120 jobs, although it did not include any new housing or social regeneration.

Page 1 of 1
Last Updated: 21 September 2010 11:21 AM
Old October 1st, 2010, 07:04 PM   #53
architect1976
Architect

Care home has been approved at appeal, despite being refused due to a 13 year old spreading rumours about it being a centre for drug addicts.

Quote:
ANGER erupted today after a controversial care home scheme was given the green light by planning bosses – despite a massive people's protest.

Opposition has grown in recent months against plans for the former Deneside Catholic Club, in Fellgate, Jarrow, to be converted into a complex which would house people with drug and drink-induced brain injuries, near a primary school and in the heart of the community.

But despite local councillors rejecting the scheme in May, an appeal by applicants Careline Lifestyles has been upheld by the Planning Inspectorate.

Coun Steve Harrison, for the Fellgate and Hedworth ward, today blasted the decision.

He said: "There will be a lot of anger on the estate about this decision, because it feels like planners based a few hundred miles away have made a decision against the wishes of the local community."

Coun Harrison revealed the decision would be raised today with South Tyneside Council leader Coun Iain Malcolm and council chief executive Martin Swales, at an estate action plan meeting at Hedworthfield CA, Jarrow.

George Mansbridge, South Tyneside Council's head of housing strategy and regulatory services, said: "We are disappointed that the inspector resolved to disregard the very strong feelings of the local community in coming to his decision."

Campaigners Geraldine Kilgour and Audrey Huntley, who have organised the people's protest since day one, issued a joint statement about the planning appeal decision.

They said: "We are bitterly disappointed, as you would expect. In a climate where existing communities should have empowerment, respect and authority, it is our opinion that we have been failed.

"We truly believe that this development will have a detrimental impact on the existing community.

"We hope, more than anything, that our concerns do not come to fruition. Only time will tell.

"We are saddened that a development which did not receive any noted support throughout the various process stages from those it would impact, has been allowed.

"We had hoped that by the very nature of the provision, support and care intended for this development, that the community's opposition would have led to the abandonment of the plans.

"Sadly, this is not the case and in our opinion, highlights our concerns.

"We will take some advice, as, aside fromthe planning inspectorate, we feel sacrificed by those in whom we should have every faith.

"To our community – you are wonderful. If anything, this nightmare has unified us in a monumental way, never displayed before.
"Thank you!"

In August, families on the Fellgate estate took part in a walk to pay for the costs of fighting the action against the care home scheme.

Page 1 of 1
Last Updated: 01 October 2010 12:22 PM
Old October 19th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #54
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 534

Current progress on the BT office building, as viewed from the ferry to Amsterdam:

Another photo showing the recent office buildings further east, which show little signs of occupation

Old October 19th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #55
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Wasnt that bottom pic the Garlands call centre before they went into administration (and then folded entirely)?
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #56
Talisker
dE/dm

I heard it was a call centre, so that's probably true.
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:02 AM   #57
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Homes to go negative in search for green power
October 21st 2010, by Tony Henderson, The Journal

PLANNING consent has been given to develop the country’s biggest solar-powered social housing project, on Tyneside.

South Tyneside Council’s planning committee has approved plans for a £3.9m scheme for 21 carbon negative homes off Reed Street in South Shields.

Partners in the scheme are hoping to start construction of the nine houses and 12 apartments later this year, and are working with the Homes and Communities Agency to finalise funding.

The homes would be equipped with the country’s largest array of solar panels, capable of generating enough clean electricity for all of the homes with the surplus energy being exported back to the National Grid.

Andrew Watts, executive director at Groundwork South Tyneside and Newcastle, said: “The development will demonstrate how sustainability can be incorporated into new houses that help reduce carbon footprint whilst reducing energy bills.“

The scheme has been designed by the developer Four Housing Group, which will own and manage the homes, in partnership with South Tyneside Council, Groundwork South Tyneside and One NorthEast.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz12yiLQafM
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #58
architect1976
Architect

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/3...-at.6605015.jp

Quote:
A MASSIVE redevelopment of a rundown area of South Tyneside could be placed at risk unless the council uses compulsory purchase powers to acquire properties, a new report reveals.
Plans have been drawn up to build more than 400 new homes and retail and leisure outlets on the site of the former Circatex plant in South Eldon Street and the southern side of Frederick Street – which is to be flattened.

The area has declined over recent years after the closure of the electronics factory – and several shops in Frederick Street now stand empty.

A developer for the site has yet to be identified, and the council has been busy negotiating with landowners to acquire properties in Frederick Street in preparation for bulldozers moving in.

But so far only three properties have been bought by the council, two retail outlets and the Eureka pub.

Meanwhile, talks are ongoing with 22 private sector landowners, several of whom own multiple properties.

And members of the council's cabinet will be told next week that compulsory purchase powers may be necessary to gain possession of other properties in cases where agreement can't be reached.

Members will be warned that unless they agree to the use of compulsory purchase orders the vital regeneration project might not be realised.

The report says: "The council is mindful the use of compulsory purchase powers is an option of last resort, in the event that attempts to acquire by agreement fail.

"The council will therefore continue to negotiate to acquire the remaining properties by agreement so far as practicable.

"If the council is mindful to use CPO powers, this will show landowners it is serious about progressing the redevelopment of the area and will strengthen its negotiating position.

"It will also demonstrate to potential developers that the council would be ready to begin work on the site.

"The biggest risk to the council is reputational if it is not able to progress the regeneration of South Shields riverside. The riskiest parts of the project are acquiring the site and attracting a developer."

The cabinet is to meet at South Shields Town Hall from 4pm on Wednesday.

Page 1 of 1
Last Updated: 29 October 2010 1:22 PM
I popped down there a couple of weeks ago and some of the shops in question have recently invested in new signage and spruced up the shop fronts, it's a shame they could not have done that before the redevelopment was proposed. I'm thinking they've only done it to try and get as much money for the property as possible.
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #59
Talisker
dE/dm

Well if anyone walks round the back they'll what a state of disrepair many of those buildings are in. I don't think improving the signage will fool anybody. This is such a depressing area of town. A lad was stabbed to death here a couple of years ago and it always feels unsafe to me. Is the trimmers arms still open? It was a pretty good place to catch live music. Shame about the surroundings though.
Old October 29th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #60
architect1976
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Well if anyone walks round the back they'll what a state of disrepair many of those buildings are in. I don't think improving the signage will fool anybody. This is such a depressing area of town. A lad was stabbed to death here a couple of years ago and it always feels unsafe to me. Is the trimmers arms still open? It was a pretty good place to catch live music. Shame about the surroundings though.
I know what you mean, some of the roofs are a mess with large holes in them. Why would anyone let a building get into that state of repair? It's madness.

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, newcastle, south shields, south tyneside