daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #81
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
What attracts you to south shields?
I like the coast, relatively cheap Victorian Housing stock near the town centre, having a decent enough town centre on your doorstep and lots of nice pubs like the Steamboat at Mill Dam and restaurants but with easy metro connections into Newcastle.

On a budget my choice really is some non-descript suburban part of Newcastle (such as Red House Farm) or another metro-linked town but without the charm such as Wallsend.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #82
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 553

The house prices in shields have fallen quite a lot over the last few years and you can get something for around $45,000, if you're on a really tight budget. Westoe is probably the best area of town.
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #83
architect1976
Architect

Likes (Received): 268

A 4 star hotel for South Shields?

Quote:
Opposite the glass structure, there are plans for a four-star hotel, and a leading council official has revealed marketing for the site has now begun.

Rick O’Farrell, the authority’s head of enterprise and regeneration, said the council is now advertising in the trade press for developers.

He added: “We have started marketing for a new hotel on the site of Harton Staithes.
Read more: http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/b...next_1_3051943

By LISA NIGHTINGALE
Published on Mon Feb 07 13:00:00 GMT 2011
architect1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #84
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 553

Apparently a hotel will be built on the land adjacent to the BT building. Also, the last remaining occupants of the buildings on the north side of the market are moving out, paving the way for the redevelopment of the old 1960's complex.
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #85
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1625

Waste needed to fill Tyne Dock at
South Shields for development

by Tony Henderson, The Journal, February 9th 2011

A WASTE mountain is wanted to complete the final stage of filling in of a historic Tyneside dock.

Tyne Dock at South Shields covered 50 acres when it was dug by hand in 1859.

County Durham-based Sirius Engineering Group has already filled in around two thirds of the dock using about a million tonnes of material from the building of the new Tyne Tunnel in a project to reclaim the dock to deliver 14 acres development land for the Port of Tyne.

But phase two, which will complete the reclamation of the dock, will require another 250,000 tonnes of waste.

Brian Reeve, chief technical officer for Port of Tyne, said: “The project to infill Tyne Dock has been both environmentally friendly and cost efficient.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1DSDtQ3ct
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #86
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Waste needed to fill Tyne Dock at
South Shields for development

Brian Reeve, chief technical officer for Port of Tyne, said: “The project to infill Tyne Dock has been both environmentally friendly and cost efficient.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1DSDtQ3ct
I bet it has! The taxes imposed on disposing of earth, rubble, stone etc is massive - if they're allowing people to dump it there, they'll make a tidy profit by charging less than the government charges you to dump it into landfill. Makes total sense on all fronts.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #87
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Would have loved to have seen it developed as a Marina though. But I suppose if it keeps the river as a working port then it is good news.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #88
architect1976
Architect

This is the Jarrow development plan from 1949, interesting to see how many of the proposals actually came to fruition.

Source: http://www.donmouth.co.uk
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #89
architect1976
Architect

CREDITS could be about to roll on a new future for a historic former South Tyneside cinema.

The Palace was originally built as a movie house to serve Boldon Colliery villagers in the 1920s, and retains its original and distinctive frontage.

The building, in North Road, later became a bingo hall and social club, but has been vacant for years and its appearance has deteriorated.

Now plans to convert it into two new retail units and a restaurant have been submitted.

Members of the council’s planning committee will be recommended to agree the conversion when they meet next week.

The application is considered a “sympathetic restoration” enhancing the appearance of nearby shops.

Read more: http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/l...nema_1_3158064
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #90
architect1976
Architect

Quote:
PLANS revealed this week could see one of South Shields’s best-known streets given a £350,000 revamp.

South Tyneside Council is planning to give Ocean Road a boost, creating a key pedestrian link between the town centre and the seafront.

If the project goes ahead, it will involve major changes to Ocean Road’s junction with Anderson Street.
Read more: http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/t...oney_1_3222627

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #91
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 27

Sad to read of filling in the dock.
Hope this won't be one of those things, like closing all the railways, which we'll be kicking ourselves for when the need arrises for it again 50-100 years down the line.
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:31 PM   #92
architect1976
Architect

Eureka!

Quote:
Exciting plans to create a new neighbourhood on the South Shields riverside will take a big step forward when the demolition of a former pub gets under way this week.

South Tyneside Council is pressing ahead with the demolition of the Eureka pub, in Frederick Street, as it prepares the ground for the Trinity South development.

Read more: http://www.southtyneside.info/articl...b%20Demolition
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:10 PM   #93
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Pity really, it's a beautiful pub building, albeit on a dreadful street.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:26 AM   #94
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 135

I live in Westoe Crown now having moved from North Tyneside and the change and the scenery is miles better than living on the north of the Tyne.

Can someone better my view though and knock down notts flats please, it's my only eyesore
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:47 AM   #95
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
I live in Westoe Crown now having moved from North Tyneside and the change and the scenery is miles better than living on the north of the Tyne.

Can someone better my view though and knock down notts flats please, it's my only eyesore
Its either a little known fact or an urban myth, but during WWII Hitler requested that Knott's flats were left untouched during bombing raids on the Tyne as he felt their appearance and position would make an ideal government building for local Nazi rule!

Oh and PS - as a resident of Tynemouth and previous resident of South Shields, I can confirm that in actual fact, north of the Tyne rules and south of the Tyne is so much proverbial chicken droppings in comparison!
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM   #96
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 4009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
Its either a little known fact or an urban myth, but during WWII Hitler requested that Knott's flats were left untouched during bombing raids on the Tyne as he felt their appearance and position would make an ideal government building for local Nazi rule!

Oh and PS - as a resident of Tynemouth and previous resident of South Shields, I can confirm that in actual fact, north of the Tyne rules and south of the Tyne is so much proverbial chicken droppings in comparison!
Yes I used to believe that one about Knotts Flats - was earmarked as the German Navy High Command. However, I have watched many programs on TV about World War 2 which indicate that a LOT of buildings in the country weren't bombed on the premise of their later use, so I start to think is this just a myth? - I'm beginning to wonder if the proximity of the Gunnery Batteries at both Tynemouth Priory and at Spanish Battery were sufficient to ensure that the Luftwaffe stayed well away from flying over Knott's Flats.

Likewise it is argued that Vickers Armstrong at Scotswood was not targeted as the Germans wanted to continue its use after they won the War. The facxt that the Works received very little damage during the air raids is backed up by the NE Diary 1939-1945 @ http://www.bpears.org.uk/NE-Diary/index.html

Remarking on the North/South Shields view - of course the view from South Shields is the greatest, after all it is looking out over 'Gods On Country'

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM   #97
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Remarking on the North/South Shields view - of course the view from South Shields is the greatest, after all it is looking out over 'Gods Own Country'
Yorkshire? Because we all know that that's God's Country...
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #98
architect1976
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1976 View Post
Eureka!

Exciting plans to create a new neighbourhood on the South Shields riverside will take a big step forward when the demolition of a former pub gets under way this week.

South Tyneside Council is pressing ahead with the demolition of the Eureka pub, in Frederick Street, as it prepares the ground for the Trinity South development.

Read more: http://www.southtyneside.info/articl...b%20Demolition
Some photos of the demolition that I took on Sunday:

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; April 19th, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:54 PM   #99
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1625

Work begins on South Tyneside 'Green Business Centre'
by Karen Dent, The Journal, May 3rd 2011

Councillor Michael Clare, One North East's Neil Graham and Robertson's Andy McLeod with a model of the incubator

WORK has started on a green incubator business centre in South Shields.

The project is expected to create almost 100 jobs during the construction phase and a further 44 people are forecast to be recruited when the state-of-the-art incubator opens in South Shields in June next year.

It will provide managed workspace and business support for new and growing companies in the low carbon and environmental sectors.

The Green Incubator is due to open in June 2012 with 95 construction jobs expected to be created to develop the site creating 30,000sq ft of business premises. As a direct result of the project, 44 jobs will be safeguarded, a further 44 created, while 35 Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) will be assisted and have their performance improved.

The three-storey building will incorporate state-of-the-art environmental energy systems and will be one of only a handful in the country to meet the highest environmental standard of BREEAM "outstanding".

It will be an office and workshop space, which is designed as managed workspace for small businesses in the environmental and low-carbon sectors, is being constructed on the brownfield former Circatex site in Eldon Street.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-28625394/
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:33 AM   #100
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Likes (Received): 78

Whitley Bay depresses me. It really does.

I visted South Shields last week for the first time in an age and the stark contrast between the two places is eye opening.

South Shields is obviously under the eye of a forward thinking investing council who've made some really great improvements to the area. Ocean Park is absolutely wonderful.

The promenade and band stand area with all its facilities were really enjoyable. The beach was spotless (a tractor was in evidence with beach cleaning facilities)

The area was also very lively, even on a weekday. Full of families and the elderly enjoying the area.

Made such a huge difference.

I look at Whitley Bay and I see an area neglected, an afterthought which although with an equally appealing coastline just misses something
jkkne no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, newcastle, south shields, south tyneside