search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #21
Boards
Cunty

Likes (Received): 618

That's good that something is happening with Siemens. I remember what a big deal it was when it opened and the subsequent decline. How's the Great Park project coming on?

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #22
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 627

I'm not sure about the great park project, apart from alot of homes already being built, I'm sure we have a thread about it on here.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #23
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
Newcastle Business Park has proved very successful for out of town offices and developing between there and the city centre would create a "bridge" of built up urbanity connecting the two.
I go running along there and am always pleasantly surprised by how busy it is. At midday you see dozens of people sitting on the benches by the river, eating lunch, reading, relaxing . . . a well kept secret, that part of town.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #24
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Tesco Bank are going to bring 1,000 jobs to Tyneside from next year.

Northern Rock have been given the green light to split into a good bank and bad bank, but jobs must stay in the North East if the good bank is sold. More then just a coincidence?, I think not. Both Virgin Money and Tesco want to buy Northern Rock, two very succesful business's. From my own experience, the only thing Northern Rock need to do to be a fairly good bank to be with is look after their current acoount customers more, and hopefully expand, so more branches are available, hopefully Virgin or Tesco could do that.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #25
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Tesco Bank are going to bring 1,000 jobs to Tyneside from next year.

Northern Rock have been given the green light to split into a good bank and bad bank, but jobs must stay in the North East if the good bank is sold. More then just a coincidence?, I think not. Both Virgin Money and Tesco want to buy Northern Rock, two very succesful business's. From my own experience, the only thing Northern Rock need to do to be a fairly good bank to be with is look after their current acoount customers more, and hopefully expand, so more branches are available, hopefully Virgin or Tesco could do that.

Tesco to create 1,000 jobs in Newcastle
Oct 28 2009 By Andrew Mernin, The Journal

TESCO BANK LINK here . . . http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...name_page.html

SUPERMARKET giant Tesco has pledged to create 1,000 jobs with the opening of a new customer services centre in Newcastle. The development at Quorum Business Park will manage sales and service for Tesco Bank’s home and motor insurance customers.

Tesco’s banking arm recently announced 800 new jobs at a service centre in Glasgow, as well as an additional 200 posts at its Edinburgh headquarters.

Recruitment for the centre in Newcastle will start early next year with the first 500 roles due to be created by the end of 2010. The remaining jobs will be created within the next five years. Tesco’s decision to locate the facility in Newcastle followed a grant of nearly £2m from One North East, the regional development agency.

Tesco Bank chief executive Benny Higgins said the region’s experience in customer services and the financial sector was also a factor. He added: "The city is a great fit for our business and as it develops we will be investing even more in the region over the coming years." Tesco has been quick to pounce amid the banking crisis, relaunching Tesco Bank as it looks to capitalise on rock-bottom consumer confidence in established brands, particularly among loyal Tesco customers.

The group recently bought out former banking partner Royal Bank of Scotland and there has been speculation that Tesco may bid for the good parts of Northern Rock when the Government sells the lender. The Tesco banking operation has six million customer accounts across 28 financial products and services.

Today’s development comes after Tesco took greater control of its insurance operations through a new partnership with Fortis. Business Secretary Lord Mandelson welcomed the investment in the North East economy. He added: "It is hugely encouraging that Tesco has chosen to invest here. The range of government support available is ensuring that people and businesses get the help they need to create new jobs across the whole of the country."

(Interesting, another company "talking" all the time about NEWCASTLE, while the actual physical location is (just) outside the City Boundary in North Tyneside . . . Why is there a North Tyneside?? . . Sorry, just my personal view!)

Northern Rock will be split, but stay in Newcastle
Oct 28 2009 By William Green, The Journal

NORTHERN ROCK LINK HERE . . . http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...name_page.html

THE sale of Northern Rock will be kick-started today with Brussels approving its split into a "good" and "bad" bank. Business and political chiefs gave a cautious welcome to news the European Commission is today set to approve the split – which is likely to take place in the New Year and could see the "good" part of the bank sold within months.

But they stressed keeping the Rock in the North East and securing jobs was vital amid signs the "good bank" could go to a new entrant to the banking sector, such as Tesco or Virgin Money.

Chancellor Alistair Darling told The Journal last week Northern Rock could be the "foundation of something bigger" able to take on the six dominant players in the UK banking sector. Last night, Government sources said: "We’re clear we want to see new entrants in the banking market. "The split will get us to a point where we can start exploring the options for an eventual sale."

But it is understood the Government would not want to see the North East "heart" of Northern Rock being pulled out by any potential buyer. Announcements about RBS and Lloyds selling parts of their businesses to secure European state aid approval are also expected in the coming weeks.

Sources say three new UK banks can be expected within five years because of moves designed to improve competition.

TUC regional secretary Kevin Rowan said: "We would hope that this puts the bank in a position where it can consolidate its position as an important part of the financial economy. It remains hugely important to the region, both in the profile of the region but providing that vital employment base. "We welcome this news and hopefully we will see the bank continue to prosper."

Durham City MP Roberta Blackman-Woods, assistant to Regional Minister Nick Brown, said the Government was trying to ensure there was a secure future for Northern Rock. She said: "I have certainly heard the Chancellor and regional minister say that maintaining those jobs in the North East is really important. So it would surprise me if at the end of the day they agreed to sale on to a bidder who wasn’t going to give some sort of guarantee.

"But it is really about securing the future of Northern Rock, which I think would be welcome."

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 28th, 2009 at 06:12 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #26
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Also in today's Newcastle Journal (28th October 2009) the City Council and 'eaga' staff (eaga is said to be a 'green support services firm') are to move into the Northern Rock HQ Tower . . now to be called PARTNERSHIP HOUSE.

I have always thought that this was an 'elegant' building, looks good close up, and from the distance, as in the photo below . . .

LINK . . . http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...40-25033838/2/
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #27
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Suppose that's good news but didn't realise the Council were in the business of property! It would be good to see them perhaps kick start some city centre offices.

Although I have to say Newcastle does seem to have picked up a bit recently development wise, has anyone else had that feeling?

Also will the other new office at Regent Centre ever be filled? It's been empty since it was built (next to the bus station and civic hall?).
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #28
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
Suppose that's good news but didn't realise the Council were in the business of property! It would be good to see them perhaps kick start some city centre offices.

Although I have to say Newcastle does seem to have picked up a bit recently development wise, has anyone else had that feeling?

Also will the other new office at Regent Centre ever be filled? It's been empty since it was built (next to the bus station and civic hall?).
It maybe because alot of developements are actually council led, or the council have been involved in them at some point in anyway. It may also be the council relising the error of their slow ways, and trying to change that, or may also be because they see it as a wise investment in both terms of the reduced costs to develope and the advantage Newcastle will see agaisnt other cities who have stood still during the global economic climate.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #29
gregstone

Likes (Received): 20

The council will earn more in rent from the building per year than it would have got sticking it in the bank at current rates of interest, and it secures 2000 jobs in the city. Good bit of business all round.
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #30
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstone View Post
The council will earn more in rent from the building per year than it would have got sticking it in the bank at current rates of interest, and it secures 2000 jobs in the city. Good bit of business all round.
Didn't they borrow the money to buy the tower though? Which I assume interest is payable on?

I'm not criticizing, am just interested...

Are we likely to see the council be more involved in property development in the future? Oh how I'd love to see some kind of land swap deal done for Baron House (perhaps with the planned new office at Westgate House's site). I just saw that Bradford is paying £25m for their new urban park/square, while of course Sheffield demolished offices for Sheaf Square & the Peace Gardens, so there is a precedent.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #31
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

It is great news that Tesco are creating so many jobs but... they seem to be mainly call centre work. Edinburgh is getting the HQ jobs, which makes you wonder, since Edinburgh is such a business centre shouldn't we be concentrating more on forging links with that city(and Glasgow to a lesser extent) rather than obsessing about london?
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #32
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
It is great news that Tesco are creating so many jobs but... they seem to be mainly call centre work. Edinburgh is getting the HQ jobs, which makes you wonder, since Edinburgh is such a business centre shouldn't we be concentrating more on forging links with that city(and Glasgow to a lesser extent) rather than obsessing about london?
I agree entirely (though I do sometimes obsess myself, about the inequality of our relationship with that city) because it sure is the case that it (London) will NEVER obsess (or care) about us.

Yes, stronger, more 'normal' links with Edinburgh and Glasgow sounds a common sense idea.

However, I thought that The Northern Way (Northern English Cities) and Core Cities (English Regional Capitals) was already about that sort of thing, in a way.
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #33
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Today, Tesco said that they hoped to bring even more jobs here in the future, I can't help but feel that it's all a popularity vote for when they bid for Northern Rock. Maybe it will work in their favour if they appear to want to give Newcastle and the NE jobs, and have already shown that to be the case, plus if the buildings for Northern Rock, and Tesco Bank were to ever merge, it would easier to merge them from North Tyneside and Newcastle, rather then say another city like Bristol of Sheffield, meaning people wouldn't have to relocate.

Any of this making sense, or am I just babbling again?

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #34
johnnypd

apparently they're not going to bid for NR, or so they said in today's Guardian.
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #35
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
apparently they're not going to bid for NR, or so they said in today's Guardian.
Thats what they all will say. I wouldn't mind Virgin or Tesco getting their hands on it, both big companies who can put the rock out there. I just wouldn't like the name Virgin Bank though.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #36
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Ok, a bit more of national news, that will effect Newcastle.

Lloyds TSB, and RBS have been told to sell some of their branches. Lloyds TSB will apparently just sell or Halifax or close the branches, which is bad news for many customers in Newcastle because they have many branches here, including the recently opened Haymarket Hub branch. RBS have also been told to sell of their English and Welsh branches, which is bad news, since they do have few south of the border, though they do have one on Grey St. It's also very bad news for me, I've just joined RBS, and it maybe a problem having to go to Berwick for my nearest branch. I also know many other people who also use RBS who live in Newcastle and Tyneside.

Bastard, I don't want to have to go through the process of changing banks again.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:25 AM   #37
johnnypd

some bad news:

Quote:
Newcastle bears the brunt as BAE sheds 590 jobs
David Robertson

BAE Systems, Europe’s largest defence company, has told its staff that 590 jobs will go as it restructures its armoured vehicle operations in the UK.

More than one third of the workers at BAE’s Newcastle facility — the old Alvis Vickers tank factory on the River Tyne — will go as part of the restructuring. The company’s factories at Leeds, Guildford and Telford will also close because orders for armoured vehicles have stalled.

BAE announced in April that up to 500 jobs could go in its UK vehicles division, but it has increased the number by 90 and the axe will now fall harder in Newcastle.

Initially, BAE had said that only 50 jobs would go in Newcastle but this has been increased to 217. The Newcastle facility is gearing up to build the Terrier armoured vehicle for the Ministry of Defence (MoD) next year.

Budget pressures and the UK’s pullback from Iraq have led to a downturn in vehicle orders and BAE has decided to consolidate its operations on fewer sites.

The company has also warned that if future orders are not forthcoming from the MoD, further closures may be necessary.

Upcoming orders include replacing the turrets on Warrior light tanks and building Future Rapid Effects System (Fres) vehicles.

Bids to build the first tranche of Fres vehicles are due to be submitted next Thursday but the whole project could be scrapped if the Treasury demands more budget cuts from the MoD.

Bernie Hamilton, national officer for the Unite union, said: “We have serious concerns about BAE Systems’ and the MoD’s strategy for the building of vehicles for the Army. These job cuts will affect Britain’s capability to build and maintain military equipment.”

Jan Soderstrom, the managing director of BAE’s combat systems vehicles division, said: “The size and structure of the business does not match our predicted order intake.”

Falling orders for BAE’s UK-made equipment has forced the company to announce more than 2,000 job cuts in the past couple of years. In addition to the 590 job losses in the vehicle division announced yesterday, a further 200 went from the same factories last year.

About 90 jobs are set to go at Barrow, where BAE makes the M777 lightweight howitzer for the US Army.

BAE also said earlier this year that it would close Woodford Aerodrome, the home of the Lancaster bomber, in 2012 when work on the Nimrod MRA4 is completed.

This would lead to 630 people being made redundant unless they moved to other factories. A further 205 jobs were cut at Samlesbury, 170 at Warton, and 111 at Farnborough.

Two years ago, BAE said that nearly 600 jobs would go because of falling orders for the Hawk training aircraft. The Hawk programme has experienced a lull in orders and, as a result, 450 jobs have been lost at Brough, near Hull, and a further 134 at Woodford.

The Hawk, used by the Red Arrows, has failed to win recent export competitions, raising concerns about the future of the programme.
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:34 AM   #38
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

I used to know quite a number of people who worked in the office there at Scotswood, when it was Vickers Defence Systems in the early 90s.

There was a huge threat of job losses then too, and probable closure. There was an identical site in Leeds (even the building was the same design) and either Newcastle or Leeds was going to close, though the sites did slightly different work, as Leeds was a former 'Royal Ordnance Factory' location.

Is this the Newcastle factory on Scotswood Road? . . . . NO, this is LEEDS!! ('identical'!!)

From experience, those I knew were certain Leeds would be saved, as there had been so many recent 'tugs of war' between businesses in Leeds and Newcastle around that time (Tyne Tees TV and a number of Government Departments amongst others, come to mind) and Newcastle had always lost.

It was great news all round when the decision was made to close Leeds. There was sadness for people in Leeds, but what a relief!

The Armstrong Works of Vickers Armstrong, which had become 'Vickers Defence Systems' (and then became Alvis Vickers, then BAE) has a proud tradition in the Defence Industry and (obviously) in the City of Newcastle.

These latest cuts, which are being seen as a possible pre-cursor to closure, by some, are very bad news indeed.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 31st, 2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:52 AM   #39
johnnypd

yes technically that factory is a continuation of the Armstrong works in Elswick, albeit moved upriver a bit. When i was younger i think it was known as Vickers-Armstrong after the 1920s merger between Sheffield firm Vickers and the more globally famous and local Armstrong-Whitworth firm. It has always been a tyneside icon, for me, as my bus goes right past it on Scotswood Road when im going in and out of the city centre. Some of my earliest memories are of looking at the Tank they had displayed by the entrance, and my grandma used to tell me stories about the factory in the war - namely that the west end locals adhered so strongly to blackouts that, even though the nazis repeatedly targeted vickers (an important part of the UK's war machine), they never actually hit it. so while the surrounding area was bombarded, the factory continued to work on. don't know how true that is, but that's how the story goes.
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:36 AM   #40
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
yes technically that factory is a continuation of the Armstrong works in Elswick, albeit moved upriver a bit. When i was younger i think it was known as Vickers-Armstrong after the 1920s merger between Sheffield firm Vickers and the more globally famous and local Armstrong-Whitworth firm. It has always been a tyneside icon, for me, as my bus goes right past it on Scotswood Road when im going in and out of the city centre. Some of my earliest memories are of looking at the Tank they had displayed by the entrance, and my grandma used to tell me stories about the factory in the war - namely that the west end locals adhered so strongly to blackouts that, even though the nazis repeatedly targeted vickers (an important part of the UK's war machine), they never actually hit it. so while the surrounding area was bombarded, the factory continued to work on. don't know how true that is, but that's how the story goes.
Yes, even in its slightly new location, it's official name is still Armstrong Works.

I remember once going in there and once (having gone through security and been told where to park, and even 'in which direction' to park!) I was happily driving down a narrow 'single' track between the fence and the building to go round the back, when a vehicle came round the corner going in the opposite direction towards me. One of us had to give way and as I was nearly two thirds of the way down, it was obviously going to be them that had to reverse.

However, I rather quickly realised that in fact it was going to have to be ME, as the vehicle coming in the other direction was a bl**dy great big TANK!

Discretion, as they say, is . . . . . .

Tags
economy, employment, jobs, newcastle, property, unemployment