search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2010, 05:34 PM   #21
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1550

Does anyone know anything about this one?

As this thread is only one of our 'developments' threads, for general discussion, do you think this one warrants its own 'Project Thread'?

Journal, 31st March 2010.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:23 PM   #22
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

Are these student flats or flats for sale/rent? I cycle past this building on a pretty regular basis. It doesn't look too bad all in all, although it'd be interesting to see it from some other angles.

Not sure if it needs its own thread though, we'll be able to follow it pretty well on this one I'd say?
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:07 PM   #23
jwmacintyre

Likes (Received): 1

they have started to demolish the former Osbournes Garage. the canopy has gone in one day, hopefully it wont be to long till the whole building is raised to the ground.

Any idea on when this is scheduled to be completed?

Jimi Hendrix
jwmacintyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:26 AM   #24
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
Are these student flats or flats for sale/rent? I cycle past this building on a pretty regular basis. It doesn't look too bad all in all, although it'd be interesting to see it from some other angles.

Not sure if it needs its own thread though, we'll be able to follow it pretty well on this one I'd say?
They're to be student flats. They haven't just started, they've been working slowly on and off for a good 6 months. It's always a bit of a lottery parking on that side of the car park as to whether there'll be a chunk of scaffolding fallen next to your car or not!

It's still a while off actually getting anywhere, but maybe this latest article suggests Adderstone are pushing it forward a bit quicker now.
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #25
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Bid to save last Newcastle
Royal British Legion club

Apr 15 2010 by Katie Davies, Evening Chronicle

A CAMPAIGN has been launched to save the last Royal British Legion club in Newcastle.

The club, in West Jesmond, which is the centre of the annual Poppy Appeal in the region, is facing a struggle to survive after it lost more than £40,000 last year and saw its membership drop from 2,000 to just 290.

New chairman Jeff Banning is hoping to attract younger people to the club which is hosting kickboxing and art clubs in an effort to bring in new revenue.

They have won backing from local residents, who say the club has been an important part of the community for more than 30 years and is a vital facility to many people in the community.

Mr Banning, who lives in Gosforth, said: “We are going through financial difficulty due to the decline in membership.

“We have recently changed committees and we are trying to save our club. It’s the only branch left in Newcastle so it would be a real shame to see it go.”

The club spoke about its financial troubles in 2008 when it launched a drive to attract the many students that live in the West Jesmond area to become members.

But those efforts have not been successful and staff have been laid off due to the club’s falling income.

Mr Banning, 63, fears that if the club does not attract new members, people will lose interest due to the lack of facilities and worsening condition of the club.

Alan Grant, of the Jesmond Residents’ Association, said: “We will do anything we can to help the British Legion.

“It has been in Jesmond for a very long time and it would be sad to see it go.

“It could be used as a community centre, there is nothing like that in the area.

“I am sure people will show their support for the centre and help it out.”

Mr Banning is urging businesses and local residents to show their support by helping out with a refurbishment of the club. Any donations or material would be appreciated.

Anyone who would like to get involved with the refurbishment can call him on 0191 285 3261 or 07920 800693 or the treasurer David Haley 07790 014658.

The Royal British Legion was founded in 1921 to provide a voice and to raise funds for servicemen and their dependants.

Nationally, the Legion has nearly 400,000 members but a number of social clubs run by it have closed in recent years due to falling rolls.

The Legion is probably best known for organising the annual Poppy Appeal around Remembrance Sunday, which raises millions of pounds for servicemen injured in the line of duty.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; April 15th, 2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:49 PM   #26
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd; 27th March 2008; Full Summary of Projects Thread
some shock news regarding La Sagesse, it's closing down after the nuns who own the site tripled the rent!

La Sagesse private school forced to shut down
Mar 27 2008 by Paul James, The Journal

La Sagesse private school in Jesmond:

ONE of the North East’s leading private schools will close this summer after the group of nuns who founded it tripled the rent, The Journal can reveal.

The decision to shut the La Sagesse school in Jesmond, Newcastle will leave 200 pupils looking for new schools and 54 members of staff out of work.

The £3,000-a-term school has been based on the site since 1912, six years after it was founded by a Catholic order named the Sisters of La Sagesse, or the Daughters of Wisdom.

But the past two years have seen the sisters leave Newcastle and what the school described as their “formal business arrangement” has seen the nuns ask for treble the rent.

At the same time the school’s pupil numbers have halved since the nearby Royal Grammar School opened its doors to girls in 2002.

Last night the future of the Victorian Gothic mansion and its 10-acre site overlooking Jesmond Dene was not clear. Staff said they were concentrating on supporting pupils and staff until it closes on August 31.

The closure will affect the school’s 180 girls and 20 boys, their 30 teachers and 14 support staff.

Last night Prof Kathleen McCourt, chair of governors said: “It is with great sadness and regret that we have had to make the decision to close La Sagesse.

“Over the last 18 months the relationship we have with our founding order, The Daughters of Wisdom, has become that of a formal business arrangement.

“Following the departure of the sisters from Jesmond the order have recently confirmed that our rent will more than treble and that coupled with the competition for independent school places in Newcastle, makes it impossible for us to keep the school open.”

La Sagesse was founded at Low Fell, Gateshead, in 1906. It moved to its present site in 1912, which includes Jesmond Towers, the former home of shipbuilder Charles Mitchell. Former pupils include actress Denise Welch.

Last night Prof McCourt added: “We acknowledge the closure will come as a huge shock to those involved with the school and our concern now is the wellbeing and support of pupils and staff through this difficult time.

“We took the decision to announce the closure early so that our staff have more time to seek alternative employment. The school has a record of high academic achievement and outstanding pastoral care which we are confident makes our staff highly employable. We will be working with parents to identify an alternative independent school which provides the best fit for their children.”

Wonder what will happen to the site. if it is redeveloped the old buildings have to be retained, and i'd hope for high density housing. if the nuns want to retain ownership and keep redevelopment minimal then maybe looking for a business school with a desire for a UK base would be beneficial to the town.

Later, Freddie Shepherd bought the site (I don't think we have a Project Thread for it, as far as I am aware?) and this is a bit of news from todays Chronicle . . .

La Sagesse is raided three times in one week
Apr 22 2010 by Adam Jupp, Evening Chronicle

SCRAP metal thieves have targeted an historic Tyneside school three times in a week.

The raiders first swiped more than five tonnes of lead from the roof of La Sagesse, in Jesmond, Newcastle.

They then returned on two separate occasions to plunder the former private girls’ school for copper piping and other parts.

Police have launched an investigation into the thefts, as security was stepped up at the Grade II listed site.

The former Gothic mansion was bought by ex-Toon owner Freddy Shepherd in a £5m deal in February last year.

He said: “It is very disappointing anyone would target a building like this, not once but three times.

“We have brought in extra security measures in an attempt to prevent this happening again.”

THE REST OF THE ARTICLE IS HERE - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-26295428/
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM   #27
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

I didn't know that about La Sagesse - great to see those nuns, holy as they are, are happy to put income above the education of children. To be honest, the fact that they tripled the rent in one fell swoop does suggest that it was a thinly veiled attempt to shut the school and sell the site off. Maybe Freddy was in contact a few years earlier.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM   #28
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

Millfield House - Jesmond Dene

I noticed the rapid pace of development at Millfield House in the Dene yesterday and took some pictures.
Most of you will be aware that there are major restoration, and building developments in Jesmond Dene, being managed by Newcastle City Council and largely funded by Heritage Lottery Funds.

This has included a number of soil erosion prevention measures, felling and pathway repairs. The popular Pets Corner is being completely rebuilt.

Opposite pets corner was Millfield House (visitor information centre) which was originally Busy Cottage Mill and a more recent extension (cafe) on the site of the old Mill and Iron Works which ceased operating when Lord Armstrong bought the Dene in the 1860's.

pictures of Mill in 1972 (from Newcastle University SINE library)

The House is being refurbished and restored similar to its original state, and will become the future cafe.

The old cafe was housed in an extension built on the site of the old Mill adjoining the House (and with those large double doors looks more like a barn in these 1972 pictures - above).
This extension has now been completely demolished and a new Visitor Centre is being constructed with steel and glass ground floor frontage, and a wooden clad upper floor and rear.

Front of new Visitor Centre

Curved rear of new Visitor Centre - timber and black brick with dimpled glass further round. The brickwork is incomplete at the moment.

Last edited by DXNewcastle; June 29th, 2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: URL
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:36 PM   #29
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Excellent post about Millfield House DXN, I'll have to get down there for a look at this. Is there much progress on 'Pets Corner' itself, yet?

My own earliest memories of a Cafe in the Dene, I'm sure relate to the building that is now the Fishermans Lodge Restaurant (see below recent post on the 'Restaurants' thread) . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Fisherman’s Lodge license a concern for Jesmond residents
May 19 2010 by Joanne Butcher, The Journal

A RESTAURANT which has nestled quietly in Jesmond Dene for 100 years has been given the go-ahead to introduce pub-style changes.

Families living nearby say licensing changes approved for the Fisherman’s Lodge, Newcastle, will mean a century of fine dining in picturesque surroundings will be ruined as drinkers flock to the restaurant.

The directors were granted a licence to sell alcohol without a full meal and play music, but were denied the chance to host “adult entertainment”.

And while the more controversial part of the plans were kicked out, residents living nearby say the licensing changes threaten to shatter the peace and tranquility of the Dene and their homes.

“This is an attempt to hijack a public park and the quietness that people value there,” said Vivian Molyneux, of Castleton Grove, Jesmond.

“When I go to the Dene, I go there to think, not hear music or see people drinking.

“The changes will bring more noise and will attract a different age range to the premises. It will attract a young generation who are addicted to noise.

REST OF ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26473563/

The article refers to "a restaurant that has nestled quietly in Jesmond Dene for 100 years" . . . but I'm not sure if that is fully correct.

My childhood memories are a bit vague, but I'm sure that building was where the cafe used to be . . . and it was then called (as it was much further into the Dene than the current one is) The Deep Dene Cafe.

I wonder if anyone else can remember this and/or confirm it?
Old May 24th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #30
gregstone

Likes (Received): 20

Fishermans Lodge is located in Deep Dene House... same premises.

The new visitor centre will include a replacement cafe, which will continue to be run by the Risi family.
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #31
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstone View Post
Fishermans Lodge is located in Deep Dene House... same premises.

The new visitor centre will include a replacement cafe, which will continue to be run by the Risi family.

So, my memory was right, the building with the Fishermans Lodge restaurant in it now, used to be the 'Deep Dene Cafe'!!!

I wasn't sure if my mind was playing tricks on me.

It was a cafe up until the 1970s, I think.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #32
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

I simply remember it as Jesmond Dene Cafe, but that name was probably just a local convenience. The triangular space outside, to the south, which is currently a car park, was grassed and well used as a picnic area in the late '70s. I recall a couple of open air local band gigs in there as well around that time.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #33
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Pets Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
. . . . Is there much progress on 'Pets Corner' itself, yet?
Although Millfield House and the new Visitor Centre is scheduled to open in June, Pets Corner is scheduled for a November opening (2010).
Its probably fair to point out that the whole Ouseburn Parks regeneration project extends to very much more than these buildings - too much for me to go into here.

Here are some pics of the work at Pets Corner (the animals have been relocated, most if not all to Byker Farm for the duration). Its not very clear what's being done from these images - its largely earthworks.

1. Looking north west

2. looking south east

3. note the timber cladding on battens simply fixed to the existing brick kitchen & toilet block

4. A new roof (with eaves) for the old brick cabin with more cladding on battens

5. Detail of the battening on the south wall of the building in pic 4.

Last edited by DXNewcastle; June 29th, 2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: changed URL
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #34
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Some excellent photos of the works to renovate Millfield House AND Pets Corner being carried out during 2009/2010 (that I have just found) HERE . . .

http://newcastlephotos.blogspot.com/...eneration.html
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #35
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Fleurtatious Flowers, at the corner of Acorn Road and Osborne Road . . .

is now Central Bean Coffee House . . .

Old June 16th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #36
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

It's a shame, Fleurtatious was a really beautiful little florist. Not cheap though!

Still, if it's going to be replaced by a coffee shop, at least it's being replaced by a Newcastle-based chain (or at least appears to plan to be a chain). I'd suggest that they drop the brushed steel signage though, I think it'll look rather cheap quite quickly and doesn't portray the sense of warmth you want from a coffee shop.
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #37
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Squatters take over £1.2m Jesmond house
June 28th 2010 by Rob Pattinson, The Journal

ONE of the region’s most exclusive neighbourhoods has been blighted by squatters in a £1.2m house.

Families say they are disgusted by the six illegal occupants, who have been seen defecating outside the property, on the corner of Osborne Avenue, in Jesmond, Newcastle.

At least one of the squatters is understood to be living in a scruffy tent in the grounds of the house, which is in a designated conservation area.

Neighbours have also raised concerns about noise pollution and two aggressive greyhounds seen stalking the gardens of the eight-bedroom home, called Kings Court.

The owners, Heaton-based letting agency Let’s Live Here, say tens of thousands of pounds worth of structural damage has been caused to the interior of the property, since the squatters moved in two weeks ago.

They fear their investment, which is waiting to be refurbished, has become a haven for drug addicts after needles were found discarded in the garden.

When The Journal visited the disputed house we were shown makeshift beds made from salvaged mattresses and blankets, strewn across the stained floorboards, along with empty cider bottles, and old handbags and clothes.

Piles of rubbish, including a rusting barbecue and bikes were seen cluttering the garden, just metres from exclusive Jesmond haunts, including the Cherry Tree Restaurant.

Both Newcastle Council and the police say they are powerless to do anything about the dispute, which they say is a civil matter.

FULL (TWO PAGE) ARTICLE, HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26738401/
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #38
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

That article is rather sensationalist, as local papers often are. I'll remember not to leave clothes and handbags on the floor the next time I'm expecting a visit from the Journal.

A completely different take on the story, which I've heard from neighbours, is that it is regrettable that developers have abandoned this large property for years, all because of their determination to extract as many rents or sales from their investment as possible. In the meantime, someone might as well live/squat in a tent in the garden.
Its not at all obvious that the tent-inhabitant is also responsiblbe for interior damage and may even be acting as a deterrent to intruders. Anyway, the interior damage is likely to be nothing in comparison to the demolition if/when developers start converting into independent flats.

(The dogs are rather large, though!)
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #39
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Excellent brand new book about Jesmond HERE - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...9&postcount=75
Old July 9th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #40
jwmacintyre

Likes (Received): 1

Hey guys!

Just been for a run today and noticed the Harley davidson Garage has changed to Triumph, looks pretty good IMO, its now painted white with huge Triumph livery all over it. I'll get a picture on my phone when I next go for a run, which should be tomorrow.

Jimi Hendrix
jwmacintyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, high west jesmond, jesmond, jesmond dene, newcastle, north newcastle, osborne road, sandyford, shieldfield, west jesmond