SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai | Suburban Rail

2M views 12K replies 403 participants last post by  avishar 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We have Mumbai Metro and Mumbai Monorail Discussion threads. But no thread for Mumbai Railways Discussions and Updates.

I am starting one here.

Source: Hindustan Times

________

Here's a website where one can plan their trips:

http://www.go4mumbai.com/

See less See more
#82 ·
Sit in queue and Book Railway tickets

Sit in queue and book railway ticket to your gaon
By: Vedika Tripathi Date: 2009-02-12

Passenger Services Committee recommends chairs for people who stand for hours to book long-distance tickets at stations

Tired of standing in queues to book railway tickets to your village or home town? Now, you may soon get to
book tickets while seated in a queue. The Passenger Services Committee (PSC) has recommended the railway board to put up chairs along the queues for passengers.

The committee visited Mumbai last month to look at services provided to passengers. "For booking long distance train tickets, one has to stand in the queue for more than an hour. It becomes very difficult for old people who are forced to stand in the queue for fear of losing their place.

Keeping in mind their problems, we have sent a list of recommendations to the railway board to put chairs near the ticket window," said Rameshwar Prasad Gupta, a member of PSC.

It has been suggested that this be implemented at big stations like CST, Dadar, Thane, Kalyan, etc.

Commuters are obviously excited with the idea. Usha Srivastava, who regularly books tickets to Benaras from Dadar station, said, "This is a problem faced by every passenger. It takes so long to book tickets. Sometimes one spends more than two hours. Putting chairs near the ticket window will really help people."

Gupta said that if everything goes as planned, the stainless steel chairs will be put up by March. But
S Mudgerikar, chief PRO, CR, said, "We are yet to receive any such suggestion. If at all such suggestion is made, we will examine its feasibility and practicality."

Also on the list
The PSC has also recommended that food at railway stations cost less, as most passengers are from the middle or lower middle classes

Now, get receipts for cheques in drop box
Within a month, all railway stations will have an electronic bill box attached to the existing drop boxes that will give you an acknowledgement within a fraction of a second of depositing your cheques. Viraj Majmudar, promoter and founder, Minc Bill Box Private Limited, said, "It will increase public trust in the drop box system and will prove beneficial to people." A K Sharma, GRP Commissioner said, "It's a good idea." The cheques are cleared every 24 hours and are delivered to the companies on the same day.
Source: Mid-day.com

#84 ·
They need to put long benches instead of chairs. Otherwise as the queue moves, the people will have to keep changing chairs as they advance towards the ticket window.

With benches they can just slide their posteriors (without getting up) as they make their way to the counter.

#85 ·
You know though it would sound crazy but I think they should now develop the means of purchasing tickets. They need to change the looks of the stations and develop it completely. Unless they are going to aim for it and start some issues about this, nothing is going to happen.

Something like this, they will have to find ways of minimizing the lines and not just creating another issues. If you look at the future, the lines will double. More and more people are coming to Bombay. We will put chairs today, benches tomorrow. But just think about it. It will block a lot of spaces. And then it will be more chaos with some people sitting and standing.

The only way of reducing the lines is going for ticketing some other ways. How about having a "highly secured" e-ticketing or some other means of purchasing tickets where they don't have to stand in line for hours.

Another thing is that they will need an electric ticket printer machine. I don't know if they have electricized all the ticket printing coz I haven't been to Bombay for almost 3 years. But they haven't they need to start doing this. One push of the button and the ticket will be printed. All this is going to cost a lot of money. But they will have to invest it for betterment and comfort the life of the people.

#86 ·
In New Bombay railway stations they had put up machines with electronic printing of tickets (around 5 years back)....in advance you could purchase blank ticket strips of some fixed amount, now this machine had a map of Mumbai and a LED display for all stations....there was a touch button thing besides all station displays...say you wanted to go from Vashi to VT...you need to insert your blank ticket....then you could press the button besides Vashi and then besides VT....on doing this would highlight the entire route by lighting up LED displays over the entire route....and then would display the fare and then print the ticket for that fare and route....

but then half of the people would just fool around with the LED display thing..by pressing random buttons(I have to admit I too fooled with it).....when i had been after 3 years, i could see the machine had broken down....also the touch thing was something cheap...anywayz.....

#87 ·
‘Deluxe EMU rake’ flagged off from ICF

Special Correspondent

ICF rolls out AC/DC EMU with air-conditioned driver’s cabin

New rake different from conventional one

Total cost of new coach will be around Rs.27 crore

— Photo: S.Thanthoni

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Minister of State for Railways R. Velu inaugurating the ‘deluxe EMU rake’ at ICF in Chennai on Monday.

CHENNAI: The Integral Coach Factory, Perambur, has rolled out an AC/DC EMU with air-conditioned driver’s cabin.

Flagging off the deluxe EMU rake on Monday, Minister of State for Railways R.Velu said that this was the 39th rake supplied by ICF to the Maharashtra Rail Vikas Corporation (MRVC) for the Mumbai suburban service. The ICF had been given the contract for manufacture of 101 AC/DC EMU rakes by the MRVC under a World Bank scheme, of which 38 had been delivered. This was the first EMU rake with AC driver cabins. In future, all EMUs would have the facility.

The Minister said five new generation EMU rakes were being supplied to the Corporation every month. The feedback for the coaches was encouraging. They had named the trains “silver bullets” of the Mumbai suburban.

Amenities provided in these coaches were on a par with those of any EMUs in the international suburban system.
:bash::bash:

These included global positioning system for displaying passenger relevant information, LED display of destination on either side of the train and forced ventilation system for pumping in fresh air into the coaches to relieve suffocation during peak-time rush.

General Manager M.S. Jayanth said that the new EMU was different from the conventional rake as state-of-the art technology had been incorporated in the rake. The energy requirement of the new coach would be 35 per cent less than that of conventional coaches due to regeneration of energy during braking. Reduced energy requirements would mean reduced emissions and a cleaner environment.

After a complete changeover to new-generation coaches, Railways would save Rs.100 core per annum and earn Rs.12 crore on carbon credit.

The total cost of the new coach would be around Rs.27 crore, which was much less compared to Rs.84 crore charged by some international companies for an 8-car rake of metro rail system. In addition to the 101 rakes, the Railway Ministry on its part was to supply 57 rakes to the Mumbai suburban service, which were also to be supplied by ICF, he added.

http://www.hindu.com/2009/02/10/stories/2009021059800800.htm
deluxe :crazy:

#88 ·
I took a train from the Santa Cruz to Churchgate once in 2006. It was my first time taking the trains since 1998. I expected there to be ATM's which process tickets fast.

What I found was a looooong line of people waiting for tickets in terribly hot conditions. The only way of getting tickets is over the counter. Since 6 million people pay for the trains everyday, you would expect the Railways to have a faster and more modern ways of ticketing besides at the counters!

It's such a waste of time waiting in the line for 20-40 mins. They can add ATM's, mobile ticket conductors, shops that sell tickets, etc. But they have not done much to improve ticketing.

#91 ·
im confused.
A/c d c only(....AC/DC... only in india )
Or a/c everywhere including d c?
AC is Alternating Current, and DC is Direct Current.

The Mumbai Suburban System is powered by 1.5 kV DC Overhead electricals, while electric trains in the rest of india is powered by 25kV AC Overhead.