SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Rapid Transit Ideas

3M views 14K replies 416 participants last post by  Johnny de Rivative 
#1 · (Edited)
There is so much interest and discussion about the 'Second City Crossing' (2CC), the Phase 3b extensions and ideas for 'fantasy' Metrolink extensions in the long term future, that the Metrolink Construction thread on the main Construction pages seems a bit crowded.

So at this risk of having one too many separate Metrolink threads (please delete this one Bammy/admins if this is the case?) and because after all these are not currently under construction (and possibly unlikely to be for several years) I wondered if it might be wise to have this as a seperate thread on the main page?

It would then leave the existing thread 'Metrolink Construction' thread clear to focus soley on the current 3a build and we can have a good old goss on here about future plans!!

And in order to kick things off, I promised forummers there I would knock on the door of the GMPTE Press Office regarding future maps and how the routes were going to be shown on those.

I've now had some answers back that I'm working up into a full article on Metrolink design issues, but in the meantime lets get this thread rolling with something the Press Office have kindly supplied to me, and I think it may be that this is it's first public outing in this exact form?!

While it doesn't show 2CC stop names or any individual service routings, it does appear to me, correct me if I'm wrong, to show the "full extent" of what is currently being looked at - aside from tram-trains or so-called "Phase 4" (long long term fantasy ideas).

So enjoy and welcome to a new and hopefully fun thread.

:)
Mark

See less See more
#4,981 ·
Metrolink uses Manchester Councils supplier which is a 100% renewable contract.
irrespective of supplier and contract crap - it all comes down the same wires which are fed by coal and gas powered stations - short of saving on paper by not printing bills, that's as far as you could EVER get in real honest, no con or cover up deals which were greener than the next....

#4,984 ·
irrespective of supplier and contract crap - it all comes down the same wires which are fed by coal and gas powered stations - short of saving on paper by not printing bills, that's as far as you could EVER get in real honest, no con or cover up deals which were greener than the next....
Ok, 100% of the electricity demand for Manchester Council is produced by green electric producers.
i.e. if MCC demands 100MW (for example) then the green supplier they signed up to has to produce at least 100MW of electricity through green sources.

so you think there are two sets of national grid, one for green and one for non green, which guarantee MCC get only green electricity?

I think not....
No, it is an offset benefit. What is demanded, is produced. Where it goes is anyones guess... in fact I pretty much think that noone could come up with any numbers as to what percentage of the electricity that MCC draws is from renewable sources! - That would need one hell of a circuit diagram!!!

#4,987 ·
But surely not so silly as it may sound, grand?

Whether HS2 is going to be an underground or something else through Rusholme and probably several other places, it would certainly seem sense to plonk the Metrolink with its local stops above, below or around the same alignment while they've got the places in bits anyway . . .

No?

:banana:

#4,988 ·
But surely not so silly as it may sound, grand?

Whether HS2 is going to be an underground or something else through Rusholme and probably several other places, it would certainly seem sense to plonk the Metrolink with its local stops above, below or around the same alignment while they've got the places in bits anyway . . .

No?

:banana:
They usually have a service tunnel accompanying the main tunnel(s) if it is built large enough, you'd get the metrolink down it. :banana:

#4,990 ·
If it's anything like the building of HS1 in East London that appeared to have very little impact above ground, just a few road closures for the building of ventilation shafts.

#4,994 ·
I think, like madferret says, the tunnel will be at such a depth there willbe little above ground disruption. At such a deep level access to any Metrolink stop will be quite an arduous trip via several escalators!
From my reading of the maps, the line will be at the bottom end of my garden and about 30 metres below ground.(between Stockport Rd and Birchfields Rd)

Can I look forward to an underground Longsight Metro station in 20 yrs time?