daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > Projects and Construction > Project News and Updates

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #1
rark
rocks

Likes (Received): 0

[COMPLETED] Buddha Tooth Relic Temple

Didnt see a thread about this .... but...
Was at Chinatown and noticed that .....

Buddha Tooth Relic Temple (Singapore)
As a custodian of the Buddha Sacred Tooth Relic handed over by the late Ven. Bhaddanta Cakkapala of Bandula Monastery in Mrau-U, Ven. Shi Fazhao feels that it is his duty as a monk to preserve the Buddha's legacy and to raise awareness of the precious relic and the Buddha's greatness. His dearest wish right now is to build a Buddha Tooth Relic Temple in Singapore to house the sacred relic for the veneration of future generations.

The proposed temple would serve as a centre to propagate and preserve Buddhist culture as well as to promote education. In the spirit of preserving the roots of Buddhist culture, the temple would also house a Buddhist cultural museum to showcase ancient Buddhist artefacts donated from around the world. It is aimed at reaching out to the hearts and souls of visitors — both Buddhists and non-Buddhists — so as to spread the great compassion and bodhi love of Lord Buddha.

From : http://www.singaporebuddhatooth.org....al_Design.html

Sponsored Links

Old January 16th, 2005, 03:02 AM   #2
PJCCUK

Please tell me this will be built!

Amazing!

Do we have any details on height, timeframe for being built? what's on the site now etc?

Always thought singapore should build more things like this ... would seriously be a boost to the architectural quality of singapore!

Now, imagine this on marina bay, on that triangle bit, between the bfc and the sail@marina ... hmmMMmmmm

details please!
PJCCUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #3
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJCCUK
Please tell me this will be built!

Amazing!

Do we have any details on height, timeframe for being built? what's on the site now etc?

Always thought singapore should build more things like this ... would seriously be a boost to the architectural quality of singapore!

Now, imagine this on marina bay, on that triangle bit, between the bfc and the sail@marina ... hmmMMmmmm

details please!
Please refer to the postings in this thread => http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...t=56270&page=2

BTW, the 1st level seems to be ready when we were nearby yesterday.
hyacinthus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:13 AM   #4
Pengui
Tallest on his iceberg

I didn't realize that they were building a NEW temple here ! Woah !!!

Btw, there seems to be two very different designs from those pics... I have to say the second one doesn't look very good... I hope they go for the first one
Pengui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #5
rark
rocks

hmmm.. @hyac.
i thought that the *first story* yesterday was just some nicely nailed wooden planks and not part of the actual structure to be built?
Old January 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #6
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPose
hmmm.. @hyac.
i thought that the *first story* yesterday was just some nicely nailed wooden planks and not part of the actual structure to be built?
I saw that too... it's a temporary structure... Guessed they did a quick job to meet the CNY festival crowd!
hyacinthus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #7
SkylineTurbo
|| PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ||

Likes (Received): 5

This looks nice, also in good detail.
SkylineTurbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #8
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 40

Amazing!

I didnt realise its going to be this majestic! It will really be a real spectacular attraction when ready

I didnt see any construction yesterday though..maybe cos it was too crowded
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #9
SkylineTurbo
|| PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ||

Likes (Received): 5

Especially, it is in a good position.
SkylineTurbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #10
Jandok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity
Amazing!

I didnt realise its going to be this majestic! It will really be a real spectacular attraction when ready

I didnt see any construction yesterday though..maybe cos it was too crowded
The construction hasn't started yet. According to the website the building has three basements, and so construction of the foundation should be well visible and should take some time.

Anyway, if this temple will be built this is so good news for Chinatown because the conservation areas around Pagoda Street and Tanjong Pagar Road will be better connected. It's so sad to see the open space between them. And the architecture of the temple is really outstanding I also hope the ugly Chinatown Complex behind it will be upgraded or make way for something new ...
Jandok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #11
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 26

redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #12
RafflesCity
By Spirit

@Jandok

I guess the construction will start after Chinese New Year once all the tents are taken down
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #13
heirloom

huh... the second one looks like a very much scaled down version of the first.. ppity.. would have been great otherwise.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #14
rark
rocks

hmm.. how come the on-site model and renderings are different!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 03:10 AM   #15
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Jan 22, 2005
Building of 'tooth relic' temple starts in March
Public invited to donate gold or 'adopt' part of Buddhist temple

By Tan Hui Yee

CONSTRUCTION of a temple housing a Buddha tooth relic in Chinatown will begin in March, with its management having secured a 30-year lease on a plot of land in Sago Street.

The Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, which will cost about $53 million to build, is to house more than 10,000 Buddha statues, a 6m-tall Maitreya Buddha, as well as the Tripitaka, a collection of Buddhist scriptures.

Its Buddha tooth relic will be kept in a 'stupa', a dome-shaped container more than 2m tall made of gold.

The five-storey building includes a mezzanine level and has three basement levels. It will have a wax museum and foodcourt when completed in about two years' time.

The temple's abbot, Venerable Fazhao, hopes it will invigorate Chinatown. The Singapore Tourism Board has also said previously that the project will boost the district's appeal to visitors interested in religious attractions, with the Sri Mariamman Hindu temple, Jamae Chulia mosque and Fairfield Methodist Church nearby.

The upcoming temple's deputy executive director, Mr Ee Giang Hwee, 50, told The Straits Times that the tender for its construction will be launched on Monday and will close on Feb 18. Ground-breaking is set for March 13. Mr Ee declined to reveal how much the lease on the 2,600 sq m plot cost.

He said, however, that to 'let everybody participate' in the building of the project, funds will be raised by letting the public 'adopt' parts of the building.

For example, 100 Buddha statues of about 90cm high can be 'adopted' for $100,000 each, roof tiles for $50 each, and bricks for $10 each.

The temple's management is also collecting donations of gold - in the form of chains, rings and bracelets - to be melted into the stupa used to house the Buddha tooth relic.

About 250kg of gold is needed. So far, 60kg has been collected. Also, at least $10 million has been raised for the temple's construction up till now.

Last May, about 600,000 people turned out for a five-day Buddhist relic exhibition at the Singapore Expo, where the Buddha tooth relic was also on display. The relic is currently at the Golden Pagoda Buddhist Temple in Tampines, where it cannot be viewed by the public.

Plans for the new temple can be viewed at an ongoing Chinese New Year exhibition on the field where the temple is to stand. The exhibition will end on Feb 9.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:55 AM   #16
Pengui
Tallest on his iceberg

I went inside the showroom and I'm still confused. It looks like the designs are two competing projects from different contractors, but it's still unclear to me which one will be built :-/
Old January 22nd, 2005, 12:35 PM   #17
heirloom

there are posters at a number of mrt stations of the temple and they show the smaller building.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #18
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Gifts pour in for temple: 83kg of gold and $10m

27 Feb 05

All of that in three months for temple with all-gold 2m-tall stupa to be built to house sacred Buddha tooth relic

By Sharlene Tan

GRAPHIC designer Ivan See, 53, strode into the two-storey Chinatown shophouse and handed over three bulging hongbaos. Inside were nine rings, 10 chains, three bangles and three pairs of earrings, all in gold.

Two friends, housewives Lim Yah Hoe, 57, and Koh Ah Imm, 65, followed soon after, donating two gold rings, two bracelets and a necklace.

The flow of gold at 293 South Bridge Road on Wednesday afternoon has been a daily phenomenon since a Buddhist temple chose the uncommon approach of asking for gifts in gold that it will melt down to build the stupa of its new building.

The response has been overwhelming. In less than three months, about 83kg of gold, plus $10 million, have been collected for the building of the $53 million Buddha Tooth Relic Temple in Sago Street.

It hit a peak in the weeks leading up to the Chinese New Year when, in 26 days, 30kg of gold, together with $4 million, were collected during the temple's Chunjie or spring festival event.

As its name indicates, the temple will house the sacred Buddha tooth relic, which attracted more than 600,000 people each time it was displayed at Suntec City, in 2002 and 2004.

The relic was passed to the Venerable Fa Zhao, 46, by the abbot of a Myanmar monastery who discovered it in 1980. It is now housed at the Golden Pagoda Buddhist Temple in Tampines.

The relic will have pride of place at the pinnacle of the new five-storey temple, in a 2m-tall, all-gold stupa.

Building it requires about 250kg of gold.

At $28 per gram of gold, the 83kg of jewellery collected so far is worth more than $2 million. However, not all is pure gold. 'We get quite a bit of fake gold. But it's nobody's fault. Some donate unknowingly,' said the temple's deputy executive director Ee Tiang Hwee, who is overseeing the fund-raising from the South Bridge Road shophouse.

For many, the new temple is more than a symbol of their faith.

Said Mr See, whose gift came from family and friends: 'Here in Chinatown, we have no Buddhist symbol. It's important for us to have gen (roots), especially here.'

The area holds fond memories for the partner of a graphic design firm, who grew up in Outram Park, on the fringe of Chinatown.

Mr Tan Leng Gek, who with his family gave $200,000 to sponsor two 90cm-tall Buddha images, sees it as a cultural symbol. He said in Mandarin: 'It'll show not only tourists, but also Singaporeans, our Chinese culture.'

However, for the two housewives, it's the calling of their faith. Said Madam Koh, who gave a rarely-worn bracelet her mother had given her: 'We're just ordinary folk, it's just a small offering.'

The temple's ambition is to involve as many people as possible in its construction, which starts next month. Said Mr Ee: 'It's everyone's temple.'

Hence, the temple's bored piles, roof tiles, bricks and Buddha statues that will fill the halls are all up for sponsorship.

Many are taken. Only about 25 of 100 wooden Buddha images are waiting for donors, at $100,000 each. Similarly, with the $500 Buddha statues, made of bronze and gilded. About 6,000 of the 10,000 have names to them.

Still more of the $5,000 Maitreya Buddha images - clay tablets of the Buddha encased with metal - are available, however. Of the 3,000, about 500 have found sponsors.

Donors may also pay in instalments with, for instance, a 12- or 24-month plan for the $5,000 Maitreya Buddha.

The Venerable Fa Zhao hopes the temple, which is due to be completed in 2007, will become a landmark in Chinatown. 'In Chinatown, there is a mosque, a Hindu temple, a Taoist temple, but not one Buddhist temple... We hope that with this temple, families will come to see the museum, the stupa,' he said, referring to the temple's wax museum that will trace the history of Buddhism.
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #19
Pengui
Tallest on his iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity
The temple's ambition is to involve as many people as possible in its construction, which starts next month.
Heh, good news
I'm still hoping to see the old-style grand great looking design come up, rather than the new cheap pagoda-style one...
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #20
Worlds of Earth
The stars beckon

Very ornate. Not a bad looking building. Now we need a Gothic Cathedral as well.

Dreams of Infinity Comment please
Worlds of Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote