daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > City Images, Architecture & Historic themes

City Images, Architecture & Historic themes Photos, Archi-talk & History.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #81
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2443

i just remembered a chimney in toowoomba that is about 30-35m high, i think this is it in this picture off google earth... corner of bridge and mort streets.

Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:04 PM   #82
neorion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Not exactly chimney stacks, but how many chimneys can you count in this pic from Port Adelaide?

Strange in a way too. I noticed these chimneys today and took the pic, without knowing about this thread.
(surprised really)
neorion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:32 AM   #83
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danubis
i just remembered a chimney in toowoomba that is about 30-35m high, i think this is it in this picture off google earth... corner of bridge and mort streets.

thanks so much danubis. im always loking for new brick stacks and didnt know about this one. Now i will have to endeavour to find out all about it. especially its shape (round,square or octagonal) height,age name etc.
I remember last year JOE posted this photo of a 20m+ stack above a bakery in downtown toowoomba near Heritge plaza.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:56 AM   #84
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2443

ya i remember him posting that!! its a really random place to find a chimney stack lol... theres a undercover mall that goes past that one.
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #85
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

Likes (Received): 132

CULWULLA,

Haven't read the whole thread so not sure how specific you are on tracking down 'brick' chimneys... but throughout north queensland there are numerous sugar mills, some with quite largeable stacks up to (estimate) 60 or 70m high.
Being from Mackay, Racecourse Mill (just to the west of the city) has it's iconic red & white swirly-striped stacks. Proserpine Mill to the north has one of the bigger stacks I've seen.

Did a quick search on google for pics but came up with nothing, however can track down some of these mills on google earth when I get home tonight. Is this something you'd be interested in cataloging?
Red Nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #86
CULWULLA

^ that would be great. Im REALLY intrested in brick chimneys but dont mind finding out more concrete stacks for my records. I have a few as part of sugar mills. most seem to be metal stacks. rarely brick.

heres a concrete stack as part of a mill just off Pleystowe mem ave in Mackay

Last edited by CULWULLA; August 24th, 2006 at 06:03 AM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #87
CULWULLA

did some snooping on google earth. alot of macckay isnt detail. but heres a mill on peak dwns hwy. looks like 2 large stacks at rear.

Old August 24th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #88
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

Regarding Pleystowe Pic,

WOW, that brings back memories, I grew up on a cane property for nearly 20 years, not even 10 mins from there. Would drive past Pleystowe on a daily basis until we sold the farm. Learnt to play tennis on a clay court right next door to it, only another 100m down the road in that picture. The Pleystowe stack is roughly about 50m in height from memory.

The whole pioneer valley (west of Mackay) used to be filled with numerous smaller mills, but over the last century those were slowly amalgamated into the 'super-mills' that remain today. Have some great pics stored somewhere that my granparents kept showing these 15-20 metre stacks spewing out steam and dirty black smoke during the crushing season. Unfortuantely, as far as I know most (if not all) of these chimneys would have been demolished over time.
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #89
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

The google earth image is Racecourse Mill... two parallel stacks there, again proabably a little over 50m in height. Too bad you can't make out their candy-cane-like paint scheme
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #90
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 1015

You seen this stack before Cul?

100 year old, 135 feet high chimney in Lester Street, Carlton, on the site of the old "Tasmanian Timber & Bending Co.,".

The two men on top, Bill Finn and Bert Goere, are dismantling the chimney brick by brick as surrounding factory buildings prevent the stack being dynamited; approximately 40,000 bricks in the stack.
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #91
CULWULLA

great pic.nice polychrome brickwork.so many nice stacks no longer exist.
thanks rednut.the mackay area looks like a nice place to grow up.
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #92
CULWULLA

now this is size.
the 99m Tate Modern chimney in London.so big for a brick chimney.

Old September 9th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #93
dsfenasni

Likes (Received): 50

here are some pics from mount isa. worked there there for 3 months early this year and got to go up lead stack with an electrician, 'twas quite fun. Lift takes about 15 minutes to reach the top, then bout 2 days later was in gold coast and went up to Q1 ob deck in about 11 sec, bit of difference! you gotta wear whole load of safety gear due to toxic lead emmisions.

Lead stack

View from top

dsfenasni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #94
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

Likes (Received): 489

Ive got one for u cul.. if i can ever bother to get out there and take the pic
Malt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #95
mugley
Lollygagger

Likes (Received): 3

dsfenasni - top stuff mate.

If those photos were of glassy office/resi things instead of industrial structures, this thread would have had four pages of "great shot" posts after yours by now.

Or just go straight to the photos
mugley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #96
CULWULLA

wow, excellent dsfensni! havent seen up close shots or from top before. very rare indeed.
thanks
malt, which one
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #97
CULWULLA

model windtunnel testing on the my isa stack
Old October 10th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #98
john14
_-_-__Adelaide__-_-_

Likes (Received): 0

Are pictures of house/home chimneys alright? I might try to take and post some pictures of the beautiful home chimneys in the very beautiful Adelaide suburbs of Springfield, Burnside and Unley Park.
"Don't you think Charlie is a little old to be taking karate classes? Charlie whooped my a*s in his dreams, I told you, Charlie had delusions of grandeur in his head I'm telling you what's happenin' " - Rick James (Chappelle Show)
john14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #99
AG

Likes (Received): 545

Videos from youtube of the Swanbank Demolition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj0yH2YLxj0&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z6M2...elated&search=
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #100
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 1015