daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > City Images, Architecture & Historic themes

City Images, Architecture & Historic themes Photos, Archi-talk & History.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2007, 06:08 AM   #81
Brissy_Lad
CADman

Likes (Received): 0

Been watching St Johns evolve for years now, walk pass it everyday, I read somewhere they've recently changed project managers (last one retired after 12 years from memory). It looks much neater now the scaff has been wrapped up, crane is in and spire slowly going up.

Its also the ceremony venue for my up coming wedding

I also love walking around the grassed/garden areas of St Stephens, it appers so peaceful even with the hussle and bussle of the CBD on the streets adjacent.
Brissy_Lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:18 AM   #82
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10233

yes, st john the devine is one our great cathedrals. congrats on your upcoming wedding. nice spot.
just on the new spire for ST Carthages, i went into lands dept today and checked the DA. great drawings. the spire will be one the tallest in oz at 51m.
should be a real landmark in sunny Lismore.

image hosted on flickr
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:57 AM   #83
Cariad

Likes (Received): 318

I thought I heard that there was meant to be a 3rd Spire on St Mary's (Sydney) on the centre tower, is this right? and if so, are they looking at building it?
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:33 AM   #84
The Olderfleet
Gothic enthusiast!

Likes (Received): 1

Two recent pics of Sacred Heart Cathedral, Bendigo....

The Olderfleet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:18 PM   #85
CULWULLA

^Sacred heart is magnificent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariad View Post
I thought I heard that there was meant to be a 3rd Spire on St Mary's (Sydney) on the centre tower, is this right? and if so, are they looking at building it?
nah, st marys cathedral has never had a 3rd spire design.just the central bell tower.the 2x 74m southern spires were always part of the design thats why they were built.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM   #86
The Collector

Likes (Received): 51

Edwardian postcards of St Paul’s (no spires).

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

I collect, therefore I am.

Last edited by The Collector; November 10th, 2008 at 02:16 AM.
The Collector no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM   #87
auslankan

Dont much like St Pauls on the inside with all those fugly tiles.St Pats is by far the most impressive church in Melbourne.
auslankan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:09 AM   #88
coastal

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
^Sacred heart is magnificent

nah, st marys cathedral has never had a 3rd spire design.just the central bell tower.the 2x 74m southern spires were always part of the design thats why they were built.
When the appeal first started for the St Mary's spires back in the mid 90s, I did see an option put forward by the diocece or the parish for a tall metal clad spire for the central bell tower. It may never have gotten to council but it was an option. It looked quite impressive from memory.
coastal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:14 AM   #89
Aussie Steve

Likes (Received): 126

Yes, very early on, there was a proposal to build a glass spire over the centre of teh Cathedral, but that was quickly put away after an outcry of "how can you" and "how dare you". Thank goodness it was never built!

Quote:
Tony Doherty: Some aspects of the Wardell design are going to be amended, mainly to bring the working of the stone into 20th century technology and to also take the required precautions for seismic reinforcement of the towers themselves. So although the stones themselves are going to be the same pattern and design as originally intended in 1860-65, they'll have a steel armature inside which will protect the structure in the event of an earthquake.

Lyn Gallacher: I just ask this because some of our listeners will remember that there were some fairly wild and radical plans a little while ago that got scrapped, about having glass spires.

Trevor Waters: What the idea was, it's a fascinating idea by the way, was to have a single glass spire on the central tower, not on these two southerntowers, and perhaps an architect can describe this better, but my understanding of it is, Gothic cathedrals are designed on light; light is a very powerful, significant reason for Gothic cathedrals. Well a young architect, some three or four years ago, said 'How about a glass spire which will bring light into the cathedral, even more light, and at night be lit to bring light to the city?' So while it sounded strange perhaps, and many people crinkle up their nose at it, it really fitted in to the tradition of created Gothic architecture, and who knows? the tower's still vacant. By the way, I don't want to raise this matter again because indeed we have made the decision for stone spires, but the option is still there for, at some future time, another generation of Catholics.

Lyn Gallacher: This is obviously where changing cathedrals gets tricky, because you have to take the people with you, don't you? I know that there's a lot of argy bargy going on in the Ballarat cathedral at the moment, with proposed changes to the High Altar.

Trevor Waters: Oh yes, in fact we have this before us here. The liturgical design of a long Gothic cathedral does not suit the understanding of the liturgy and worship that the Catholic community have today. In one word, the long Gothic cathedral is designed to have the mystery celebrated a long way from the people, who are passive spectators.

Tony Doherty: The creation of a cathedral is a creation of sacred art. The cathedral in Sydney is held in high esteem by a large number of people in Sydney, of all denominations, and the completion of these spires not only completes it as an urban artwork and offers a very great gesture as an urban piece of art, it also completes the building in terms of it being sacred art, but it doesn't preclude that in the future, as we develop new liturgical practices, that this artwork shouldn't be adjusted and modified to be appropriate for every century. So that it speaks to every group of people. And that's why I think the idea of the glass spire is a very powerful gesture-left for someone else to do.

From: Radio National Transcripts: The Religion Report, 9 September 1998. "Breathing New Life Into Ancient Tradition"

Last edited by Aussie Steve; March 23rd, 2007 at 06:30 AM.
Aussie Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #90
CULWULLA

^ tony doherty is a great guy. i spoke to him about the idea of a cathedral model display. he thought it was ok but when cardinal clancy saw it in person he requestd it be part of the crypt forever amen!
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #91
matt_sbs

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
Here is a list of all the Catholic Cathedrals in Australia
  • Adelaide - St Francis Xavier Cathedral
  • Armidale - St Mary & St Joseph's Cathedral
  • Ballarat - St Patrick's Cathedral
  • Bathurst - St Michael & St John's Cathedral
  • Brisbane - St Stephen's Cathedral
  • Broken Bay - Corpus Christi Cathedral
  • Broome - Our Lady Queen of Peace Cathedral
  • Bunbury - St Patrick's Cathedral
  • Cairns - St Monica's Cathedral
  • Canberra & Golburn - St Christopher's Cathedral
  • Darwin - St Mary's Star of the Sea Cathedral
  • Geraldton - St Francis Xavier Cathedral
  • Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral
  • Lismore - St Carthage's Cathedral
  • Maitland & Newcastle - Sacred Heart Cathedral
  • Melbourne - St Patrick's Cathedral
  • Parramatta - St Patrick's Cathedral
  • Perth - St Mary's Cathedral
  • Port Pirie - St Mark's Cathedral
  • Rockhampton - St Joseph's Cathedral
  • Sale - St Mary's Cathedral
  • Sandhurst (Bendigo) - Sacred Heart Cathedral
  • Sydney - St Mary's Cathedral
  • Toowoomba - St Patrick's Cathedral
  • Townsville - Sacred Heart Cathedral
  • Wagga Wagga - St Michael the Archangel's Cathedral
  • Wilcannia & Forbes - Sacred Heart of Jesus Cathedral
  • Wollongong - St Francis Xavier Cathedral

5 = St Mary's
5 = St Patrick's

The St Patricks Cathedral in Bunbury can be removed from this list since it was demolished 2yrs ago being damage beyond repair by a tornado. A new one will be built hopefully this year.
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #92
The Olderfleet
Gothic enthusiast!

Some Catholic Church trivia!

The Diocese of Sandhurst (which covers Bendigo) is so-called because Bendigo was initially called Sandhurst. Although the city name was changed, the name of the Diocese never was!

Melbourne's first cathedral was St Francis' Church (shown below), which is Victoria's oldest Catholic Church.

Old March 25th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #93
Aussie Steve

Some older, historic photos of St Francis' Church

Ladye Chapel

North east corner Lonsdale & Elizabeth Sts

Sanctury

Current interior of the nave
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #94
nOchAos
Happy now...

Likes (Received): 8

St Marys Catholic Cathedral in Bairnsdale has some spectacular murals by Francesco Floreani painted during the depression. The tower was completed in 1937.

image hosted on flickr

nOchAos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #95
Aussie Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOchAos View Post
St Marys Catholic Cathedral in Bairnsdale has some spectacular murals by Francesco Floreani painted during the depression.
This is not a Cathedral, its a Parish Church. The Cathedral is in Sale.
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #96
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3457

St. John's Cathedral Construction Update:

“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:52 AM   #97
CULWULLA

thanks for updates.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:36 AM   #98
CULWULLA

new landmark in downtown Woy Woy. the new St Johns catholic church. had ists stower and cross put up on friday. now 25m tall
beuatiful zinc cladding is great idea.
the smudge is on my windscreen

image hosted on flickr
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #99
carlosbe
Jean Zay

Likes (Received): 44

This thread is great.

Greetings from Paraguay, South America.
carlosbe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #100
The Olderfleet
Gothic enthusiast!

I like the appearance of that new St. John's Catholic Church in Woy Woy, but I think the support for the cross is a bit of over-kill. It looks like too much to support that flimsy cross, and in itself doesn't look attractive nor interesting IMHO.

Here are two recent shots of mine from St. Francis' in Melbourne...

I also went to Geelong on Anzac Day, and here are two shots of the St. Mary of the Angles Basilica... I am not so keen on the exterior of this cathedral. Just a bit too much bluestone for my taste. The first photo is of the rear of the church as the sun was in the wrong place to get the front...

And what a dark interior! This is a lovely church on the inside, but is SERIOUSLY dark... this was a struggle to photograph without a tripod, but a 0.1 second exposure on ISO 800 nailed it!

Cheers!