SkyscraperCity Forum banner

KINSHASA | N'Djili International Airport Expansion .

Tags
kinshasa
453K views 937 replies 82 participants last post by  takumz 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is dedicated to the modernization of N'Djili International Airport.

Thank you.

#2 · (Edited)
President Joseph Kabila launched the modernization works of the international airport of N’djili.
Kinshasa, 5/18/2009 / Politics

Ways of communications on the agenda of the rehabilitation of infrastructures of DRC about the Five yards initiated by the Head of State that has just launched the modernisation works of the international airport of N’djili

Saturday 16 May 2009, to the international airport of N’djili, President Joseph Kabila Kabange proceeded to the launching of the modernization works in all its totality of the airport infrastructures of DRC.

Indeed, N’djili constitutes the first stage of starting of this vast program of rehabilitation considering its impact in the economic recovery of the RVA. It is soon returned back from Lubumbashi, country seat of the province of Katanga where he has just stayed after the city of Moanda, last stage of his visit in Bas-Congo.

Indeed, the international airport of N’djili itself generates more than 60% of returns of which have need the enterprise to lead its politics better. With a global cost valued to 45 millions of American dollars, acquirement on own fund of the RVA, thanks to the banking credit line agreed and repayable on basis of the perception system of the royalties, N’djili will be created completely from here June 2010.

This being, good number of observers thinks that while accepting to preside this event solemnly, Joseph Kabila has just put, the nth time, an important act of which the Congolese people enjoyed much and that enters in the realization of the five yards of which he is himself, the inventor. The ceremony is a first since more than five decades. It remained in the anal of the RVA that is changing. Constructs at the colonial time, either in 1950, the international airport of N’djili ever received any rehabilitation.

However, governments followed each other in this country, the managers followed each other to the head of the enterprise. But, none among them tried to solve these challenges relating to the airport infrastructure deterioration with a view to facilitate the air-traffic, the joining of the country and the fast circulation of people and their possessions. Today, the most septic that recruit among predators will not have certainly arguments, because, visibly, the five yards are well and truly started. Joseph Kabila is here and there, in Kinshasa as in rear country to see the progress of the works and to get an idea on the quality of these, if they are achieved in the requisite norms.

To his sides, two pioneers of strategic sector, the one of transports and airport infrastructures that, always are inclined to help him to accomplish the vision. It is about, Matthieu Mpita and Mr. Jean Assice, respectively, minister of Transport and Ways of Communication and Administrator general delegate of the RVA.

The event knew a total mobilization. This is how one could note, the presence of members of the Parliament, represented by Léon Kengo wa Dondo and Evariste Boshab, president of the Senate and the National assembly; the government's members in the occurrence, the prime minister Adolf Muzito, surrounded of ministers Matthieu Mpita of the Transport, Jeannine Mabunda of the Portfolio, Ferdinand Kambere of the work and the Social Foresight, Mende Omalangas of the Communication and Medias… the governor of the City Province of Kinshasa André Kimbuta, representatives and provincial ministers; members of management Committees and Council of administration of Portfolio enterprises. Notably, the RVA, represented by the Administrator manager Jean Assice, the Sonas by Herman Mbonyo, the Snel and the Regideso by Yengo Massampu and Mr. Mwema.

The Ambassadors and members of the diplomatic body accredited in DRC also attended this ceremony, the representative of the SOGEA SATON enterprise as well as much other administrative politico personalities.

While thanking the Head of State to have accepted to preside the ceremony in spite of numerous work, Matthieu Mpita let know that the presence of J. Kabila translates in act his determination as well to develop of meaningful manner, the airport and aeronautics heritage, that to hoist it to the international standards so that the DRC, like the other countries, advisedly assumes, responsibilities conferred him by the article 28 of the Convention of Chicago, relative to the international civil aviation that stipulates: "every State contracting begins to provide on its territory, facilities and necessary services to facilitate the international air navigation, in accordance with norms and recommended practices of the organization of the Civil aviation"…

The New Control Tower.

#7 ·
The Constrcution of the new Tower and the Terminal supposed to start early next year. Right now they are renovating the runway.

As for N'dolo, i think it must be renovated as well. New runway, Terminal and new control tower.

It should just serve Domestic Airport and N'djili for International flights .

#8 ·
Monday, November 23, 2009
N'Djili airport: 11 million USD to build a new Presidential Pavillion.

The N'Djili International Airport, the mirror of the country and the main entrance, will now fall into the standard of many other airports around the world. It is in this perspective that hosted last Monday an important ceremony of laying the foundation stone for the construction of the Presidential flag. The first stone was laid jointly by Vice-Premier in charge of reconstruction, Emile Bongeli and Jeannine Mabunda Minister Portfolio. For quality work and within the standard, the RVA has entrusted the work to the company ESG.

Indeed, according to information provided by the ADG of the governed, it will be erected a building of 7 meters high with a diameter of 37 meters. "It is an iconic building, one where will be the most integrated regions such symbols the shield and the Okapi. It will finally allow this country to return to the height of a large country with a large airport, "said Jean Assic, ADG of the RVA (RVA), adding that the cost of the work is of approximately 11 million dollars. According to the source, the work must be completed by June 2010 and will enable the President of the Republic to receive his guests at the celebration of the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Independence of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

It should be noted that Ndjili International Airport, which is the main gateway to the country, will soon wear a new dress. After Kinshasa, this will be the turn of the airports of Kisangani, Lubumbashi, Goma and the rest of the country, "said Vice-Premier in charge of reconstruction. It noted that just after laying the first stone, the Congolese will attend ceremonies and receptions works Congolese will grow weary. The Government is therefore committed to provide all support needed for successful completion and on schedule work in progress.

The reform aims to improve living conditions

To recall, the President of the Republic Joseph Kabila, was the N'Djili International Airport in May last, to inaugurate the modernization of the airport Ndjili. This work had three components, including the rehabilitation of the runway, construction of a presidential flag and that of a new control tower.

Control Tower;

"This is the RVA (RVA), a public company, which had been empowered to oversee these important in the minds of the public enterprise reform.

Reform is not against the Congolese, but rather to improve their living conditions, "said Jeannnine Mabunda Minister Portfolio. She also added that to tackle this task that the RVA with different projects. Note, however, after the track is now the turn of the presidential flag, the President terminal which has just launched the work. "It will continue with the terminal and end with the control tower," says she.

This sequence of work is expected to be completed by end 2010, which explains the fact that it is an ambitious challenge. "That's why we continue to say that the five sites are not a slogan, nor reform," noted the owner of the portfolio. To date, the question that companies like Rva is trying to answer the question: what is a public company for the Congolese people today as part of the reform? This serves to render better services to the Congolese people can move across the Congo.

And the RVA is an example, as Okimo has done lately and as Onatra will do tomorrow. "I think for this ambitious program by the Head of State called the five sites, which had raised doubts and skepticism today RVA like other public companies are now the challenge. But these public companies can meet the challenge of rebuilding through the support of the Congolese, hammered Jeannine Mabunda, who noted that especially for the VAR, I think we must thank all Congolese because it is result of their contributions as part of IDEF. "This kind of extra effort that we pay our tickets, which can build for ourselves, for our internal efforts, our Congolese airports. It is an effort to keep the Congolese and materialize the five sites. I think we should tell them thank you and encourage VARs, "she said.

Jean-Marie Nkambu

#9 ·
Guys, What we need is new terminal for National and International arrival and departure possible new traffic control and decent parking. Not a Presidential quarter for Joka guess and officials. Design is terrible, resemble to a church or large dome ….. 11 millions wasted! LOL

Mulopwe

#17 ·
It's called a presidential pavillion but that doesn't mean it won't be used for public function, it's will be great for larger group of vips passengers to get cleared out through customs. The vip section at Ndjili sucks, this is needed esp. with the the celebration next year, how are you going to clear the passengers in that tiny vip room? This isn't the only airport to have one many other places do. Better to build it now.

#19 ·
I will have to add my voice to this. This project looks a litlle bit confusing for me. I honestly think it would have been much easier to build a new airport from scratch then proceedings the way they are currently doing.

My understading is that the runaway is currently being repaired by the french (SOGEA???), then some other company will build the presidential pavillion (ESG?), and another company will take care of the tower, and the future terminal will be taken care of by another company. 11 millions for a presidential pavillion is excessively too much and I dont think this should be a priority, maybe not for now. I would have favored the control tower and passenger terminal first. Is anyone able to tell me how much is the total cost of this project? I havent been able to find this information despite all my efforts.

Mulopwe, I think the picture we have seen few months ago is just the air control tower. I presume they still have to come up with plans for the new air terminal. It's unfortunately sad we cant get much information on that.

#25 ·
This could indeed be an alernative. 45 nillions for control tower, 11 millions for presidential pavillion amd how much for the passenger terminal? 100 millions? we dont know the price yet. what's the expected passenger capacity, not available yet. i guess this is really a wait and see operation. a little nit unfortunate we cant know the details in advance. privatization could be a good option. I really hope they can bring the LAC back to the air as you cant pretend to become a major regional hub without a viable airline company.

#26 ·
Yes!In the context of the country right now,I am not too keen on government run schemes coz that always lead to inefficency and corruption.private investors will make sure that they gets his money back and therefore will make things work.The government shoul focus on education,health,the military,administration..etc..

#32 ·
Next LAC

Dear all,

I can assure you that LAC are going to fly again very soon. a huge project is being organized between an International Airline and LAC.

The airplanes will be brand new (Airbus A320, Embraer ERJ 145, ATR-72 and 1 Airbus A 340-200).

They will create a real hub in Kinshasa (FIH) with a European flight arriving in the morning (and one from Far East Asia via Dubai), once the passenger arrives in FIH he will be offered a large choice of connecting destinations (like Kisangani, Lubumbashi, Matadi or other african cities out of the DRC like Luanda, Lagos,Douala, etc...).

This airline will be operating around June 2010.

I've heard that they already have consultants in Kinshasa meeting every LAC employee to see who will be kept for this new project.

I can't wait for DRC to have his own airline...To be proud of and to re-unite this beautiful country...

I will keep you informed of the project as soon as I have more news.

#35 ·
Dear all,

I can assure you that LAC are going to fly again very soon. a huge project is being organized between an International Airline and LAC.

The airplanes will be brand new (Airbus A320, Embraer ERJ 145, ATR-72 and 1 Airbus A 340-200).

They will create a real hub in Kinshasa (FIH) with a European flight arriving in the morning (and one from Far East Asia via Dubai), once the passenger arrives in FIH he will be offered a large choice of connecting destinations (like Kisangani, Lubumbashi, Matadi or other african cities out of the DRC like Luanda, Lagos,Douala, etc...).

This airline will be operating around June 2010.

I've heard that they already have consultants in Kinshasa meeting every LAC employee to see who will be kept for this new project.

I can't wait for DRC to have his own airline...To be proud of and to re-unite this beautiful country...

I will keep you informed of the project as soon as I have more news.

Thanks and welcome to Skyscrapercity,

If indeed these news are true, that will be a good thing. I would like LAC to be partnered with another international company. I know they have a B737 and I have seen some of their advertisement saying they are back with on some internal roots and will be flying soon to Douala and Lagos. Cant wait to see that happen. I have sort of lost hope when I listen to the radio interview of the Ministre du Portefeuille and when I founded out that Brussel Airline is coming out with another company. Will wait to hear from you.

#36 ·
I'm just back from Kinshasa, i overflew n'djili airport two days ago and nothing has been done so far absolutly no trace of work on the runway not even an excavator parked next to it.

Nothing 's gonna change in that country, IDFE is a big joke, i feel sorry for the Congolese.

#37 · (Edited)
I'm just back from Kinshasa, i overflew n'djili airport two days ago and nothing has been done so far absolutly no trace of work on the runway not even an excavator parked next to it.
I know the Terminal , Control tower, VIP Pavillion haven't started the construction. as for the runnay. why would they leave the excavators next to the runnay after work?

Nothing 's gonna change in that country, IDFE is a big joke, i feel sorry for the Congolese.
That's a ignorant conclsion

Are you going to say that Kinshasa -Kikwit , BOMA-Muanda, Lubumbashi-Likasi-Kolwezi, Kisangani-Beni, Lubumbashi-Kasenga, Bukavu-Kamituga-Kasongo Highways are all lies?

Muanda-Kinshasa Fiber Optic cable, The Big Hospital in Kinshasa, Construction of the new Mponzo river in Matadi (bigger than) than the existing bridge are all lies? the 700 Agriculture tractors that have been distributed through out the country are all lies?

Like i said. you r conclusions are dead wrong and there are no needs to feel sorry for Congolese.

Thank you.

#41 ·
jeudi 17 décembre 2009
En Rdc : Une route réhabilitée permet de réduire les coûts de transport et de propulser le commerce

Depuis la fin des travaux de réhabilitation effectués sur la RN4 entre Kisangani et Beni (au Nord-Kivu), la reprise du trafic routier fait de l’ombre aux avions qui jusque-là transportaient l’essentiel des marchandises dans cette zone de l’Est de la République démocratique du Congo, note un communiqué de la Banque mondiale. Sur l’avenue du stade, au centre-ville de Butembo, des matelas emballés dans des sacs en plastique, des paniers d’oignons et d’ail ainsi que diverses marchandises jonchent le sol. Dans le plus grand désordre, des manutentionnaires chargent des sacs de haricot dans des véhicules poids-lourds. Sur chacun d’eux, on peut lire « Kisangani Express ».

« On ne manque jamais un véhicule à charger. C’est comme ça qu’on gagne notre vie ici », explique, tout haletant, Bamimbi Vumi, un chargeur très affairé. Un parking improvisé s’est installé ici depuis la fin de l’année 2008, juste à côté du bureau détaché de la plus grande des compagnies de transport terrestre des biens et des personnes, qui assure la liaison entre Butembo et Kisangani. Il y a quelques mois encore, on ne voyait guère de passagers se bousculer pour monter sur les véhicules et parcourir les 900 km qui séparent les deux villes.

Les transporteurs aériens en perte de vitesse

Il sied de souligner qu’avant la réhabilitation de cette route, le transport des personnes et des marchandises s’effectuait en grande partie par avion. Les transporteurs aériens régnaient alors en maîtres, mais leur marché est en chute libre depuis les travaux de réhabilitation effectués au coût de 55 millions de dollars américains dans le cadre du Projet d’urgence de soutien au processus de réunification économique et sociale (PUSPRES), financé par la Banque mondiale. « Les opérateurs des véhicules sur Kisangani bloquent vraiment notre marché », se plaint Dominique Mbavumoja, chef d’agence de la compagnie Mango Airline. « On est au bord de la fermeture, mais on imagine des stratégies pour garder les clients. »

Des 13 compagnies aériennes qui opéraient entre 2000 et 2005, seules trois essayent encore de résister

« Que voulez vous ? Le client voit où se trouve son intérêt. Et d’ailleurs, notre gouvernement a interdit le vol des Antonov depuis longtemps », argumente Pascal Karungu, vice-président de l’ACCO (Association des chauffeurs du Congo), pour qui le transport aérien « rapportait surtout aux pilotes étrangers alors que maintenant , ce sont nos chauffeurs qui en profitent ». « Avant, nous taxions 1 kilo de fret à 1,4 USD, mais les camionneurs sont venus et ont diminué le prix jusqu’à 0,5 USD le kilo.

Certains descendent même jusqu’à 0,25 USD », affirme Muyisa Kambine, responsable du marketing à la compagnie Galaxie Kavatsi. « Avant que les transporteurs routiers n’entrent dans la danse, nous acheminions entre 150 et 200 tonnes de marchandises diverses par mois sur Kisangani. Maintenant, c’est autour de 29 tonnes », affirme, Dominique Mbafumoya.

Kisangani-Beni : la nouvelle route permet des échanges commerciaux La place communément appelée « Parking de Bafwasende », non loin du marché central de Kisangani, a retrouvé son ambiance d’antan. Ici, des dizaines de camions débarquent et embarquent tous les jours des centaines de passagers et des tonnes des marchandises en partance ou en provenance de Beni, Butembo, Goma, Bunia, Niania, etc. Il y a plus de 10 ans que les Boyomais (habitants de Kisangani), n’avaient plus droit à un tel spectacle. Ce parking avait disparu, les gros camions aussi.

Depuis plus de six mois, la réhabilitation de la route Kisangani-Beni a fait revenir ces véhicules dans les rues de la ville et le parking principal revit. Le chef-lieu de la Province orientale est à nouveau relié par route à Beni dans la province voisine du Nord-Kivu. Deux jours pour les camions et un seul pour les voitures et les jeeps suffisent pour effectuer ce trajet dont le coût a sensiblement baissé : 25 à 30 dollars contre 250 par avion.

Du coup, les échanges commerciaux s’intensifient entre les deux villes. Grâce à cette route, de nombreux jeunes gagnent désormais leur vie en travaillant pour leur propre compte. Le marché de la ville reçoit à bon prix diverses marchandises : ciment, tôles, matériel de construction, choux, pommes de terre, haricots, poissons salés, etc. De Kisangani, partent aussi divers produits manufacturés : laits de beauté, bière, savons, tomates, sardines… venus pour la plupart par bateau de Kinshasa, la capitale. « Nous apprécions beaucoup les efforts du gouvernement pour la réhabilitation de cette voie, colonne vertébrale de l’économie de notre province », se réjouit Robert Osundja Bawa, directeur de la Fédération des entreprises du Congo, à Kisangani.

Approuvé en 2003, le projet PUSPRES a pour objectif d’aider le gouvernement congolais dans ses efforts visant à réunifier les provinces de l’Est au reste du pays. Le projet vise également à accroître l’accès aux infrastructures de base et les services sociaux pour les populations des provinces Orientale, du Maniema, du Nord et du Sud-Kivu, de l’Equateur, du Nord-Katanga, du Kasaï Oriental Nord. Le projet devrait être achevé en septembre 2010.

Jean-Marie Nkambua

Thursday, December 17, 2009
In the DRC: A rehabilitated road reduces transport costs and propel trade

Since the end of rehabilitation work done on the N4 between Kisangani and Beni (North Kivu), the resumption of traffic because of the shadow planes which had hitherto carried the bulk of freight in the area of the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, notes a statement from the World Bank. On Avenue of the stadium in downtown Butembo, mattresses wrapped in plastic bags, baskets of onions and garlic and various goods scattered on the ground. In the greatest confusion, handlers loading bags of beans in heavy-weight vehicles. On each, you can read "Kisangani Express.

"It never fails to load a vehicle. That's how we earn our living here, "said, panting, Bamimbi Vumi, charger very busy. A makeshift parking moved here from the end of 2008, just outside the office posted the largest companies in land transport of goods and people, who liaises between Butembo and Kisangani. A few months ago, we saw no passengers scramble to get on the vehicle and walk the 900 km distance between the two cities.

Airlines slowing

It should be noted that before the rehabilitation of the highway, transporting people and goods was performed largely by air. The airlines then reigned supreme, but their market is in freefall since the rehabilitation work carried out at a cost of 55 million U.S. dollars under the Project's emergency support to the process of economic and social reunification (EESRSP) Financed by the World Bank. "Operators of vehicles on Kisangani block really our market," complains Dominique Mbavumoja, branch manager of the company Mango Airline. "We are on the verge of closure, but we imagine strategies for customer retention. "

Of the 13 airlines that operated between 2000 and 2005, only three are still trying to resist

"What do you want? The customer sees where his interest. And besides, our government has banned the flight of Antonov long time, "argues Pascal Karungu, vice president of ACCO (Association Driver of the Congo), for which air transport" related primarily to foreign pilots while now are our drivers who benefit. " "Before, we taxions 1 kilogram of cargo to 1.4 USD, but the truck came and dropped the price to U.S. $ 0.5 per kilo.

Some even come down $ 0.25, "says Muyisa Kambine, head of marketing at the company Galaxie KAVATSI. "Before that motor carriers entering the dance, we were moving between 150 and 200 tonnes of cargo per month Kisangani. Now it is around 29 tons, "says Dominique Mbafumoya.

Kisangani-Beni: The new road allows trade Place commonly called "Parking Bafwasende, near the central market in Kisangani, has regained its ambience. Here, dozens of trucks arrive and board every day hundreds of passengers and tons of goods leaving or coming from Beni, Butembo, Goma, Bunia, nurse, etc.. There are over 10 years that Boyoma (inhabitants of Kisangani), had no right to such a spectacle. This car had disappeared, big trucks too.

For more than six months, the rehabilitation of the Kisangani-Beni road has brought back the vehicles in the streets of the city and saw the main car park. The capital of Eastern Province is again connected by road to Beni in the neighboring province of North Kivu. Two days for trucks and one for cars and jeeps are enough to make this trip the cost has decreased significantly: 25 to 30 dollars against 250 by air.

Suddenly, the intensifying trade between the two cities. Through this route, many young people now earn their living by working for their own account. The market town receives various cheap goods: cement, sheet metal, construction materials, cabbage, potatoes, beans, salted fish, etc.. In Kisangani, leaving as diverse manufactured products: milk beauty, beer, soap, tomatoes, sardines ... came mostly by boat from Kinshasa, the capital. "We appreciate the government's efforts to rehabilitate this way, the backbone of the economy of our province," said Robert Osundja Bawa, Director of the Federation des Entreprises du Congo, Kisangani.

Approved in 2003, the EESRSP project aims to assist the Congolese government in its efforts to reunify the eastern provinces in the country. The project also aims to increase access to basic infrastructure and social services for the populations of Eastern provinces of Maniema, North and South Kivu, Equateur, northern Katanga, Kasai Oriental North. The project should be completed in September 2010.

#42 · (Edited)
^^@ DENICE,

I'm sorry , but this is from Beni to Kisangani road story. a 800 kms road that is under asphalt as we speak.

saying that there is nothing being done in the country is being misinformed.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=967480

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=962188

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=911118

Not to mention the investments that are coming in. meaning the business environment is improving.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=906862

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=953238

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1009955

I have another question as well.

Is the Lumumba, Boulevard a joke as well? since you just came from there.