search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #1
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5029

Ukrainian Subway

Ukraine has very extensive Metro transportation system. It's the most efficient and vital Metro in whole of Eastern Europe because it is absolutely necessary, without it country would get paralyzed, and carries out transportation of 3 million passangers daily.

Ukraine has active subway in Kyiv, Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk, Underground-Rail in Kriwij-Rij and under construction Subway of Donetsk.

Kyiv Metropoliten is a system of active arteries of the capital. Today it accounts for 45 fully operated stations and nine more are being developed and constructed as we speak.

I am copying this from my "Kyiv - Construction Boom" thread where Metro was mentioned as well:

Design of Metro stations in Kyiv Metro varies exetremely one from another. Although there are some standard types such as "sorokonozhka" which is just plain panel with quadratic columns.

This is Universitet Station which is right under a University. As you can see there are busts of famous people such as Shevchenko and Pushkin. This is a very old station, more than 40 years old.

My station Zolota Brama (Golden Gates) is located under a historic Golden Gates reconstruction, which are gates that were there 1000 years ago and defended Kyiv and Europe as whole from asian invaders. It was built 15 years ago.

Zhitomirska Station opened just a year ago. On this picture it is still not completely furbished. Although you can see the plasma-tv there which are now being installed on every single station for entertainment and commercial.

Republican Stadium station

Slavutych Station represents the simplest design. Opened in 1992.

Minsk Station, named in honor of Belarusian capital city.

All pictures taken from Unofficial Site of Kyiv-Metro fans www.metropoliten.kiev.ua

Each station is constructed by it's unique design, a competition of designers selects best version and adopts. Some resemble Kyiv's glorious 1500 years old past and other's symbolize the present and the future.

Many tourists consider visiting Kyiv's Underground a "must-see". It is believed to symbolize our capital in it's modern developed form yet with a distinguished past.

Dnipropetrovsk

Has so far the youngest Metropoliten in the whole country. It has opened in 1995 and is now developing further. Station designs are simpler than in the Capital yet are clean, bright and effective:

Kharkiv

Which is a huge city with population over a million (there is a thread here with pics of it somewhere, if desire arises to see those, it may be easily found).

Metro of Kharkiv is very extensive and altogether comprises three fully operated lines and the fourth one is in the plannings as well. Last than a month ago 2 new stations opened up in Kharkiv.

Krywij-Rig

Has an underground transportation which is not always accepted as Metro. Even though it is underground, these are underground-trams.
It's also very controversial in Ukraine and whole world. This city has population of only 700,000 and according to Ukrainiam legislation only a city with over a million population can ask for a Metro. This is also common all over the world.

P.S. Pay attention to name of the cities, these are not all Metro from Kyiv but 4 different cities.

If any additional confusion arises, those are not pictures of every station

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by VelesHomais; September 7th, 2004 at 02:16 AM.
VelesHomais no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:56 PM   #2
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

Wow, I had no idea Kiev had such a beautiful metro! They look like the ones in Moscow. How long does it take for the subway system and stations to be built? It sounds like the Ukraine is modernizing their system or expanding.
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:30 AM   #3
VelesHomais

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86
Wow, I had no idea Kiev had such a beautiful metro! They look like the ones in Moscow. How long does it take for the subway system and stations to be built? It sounds like the Ukraine is modernizing their system or expanding.
On average with full funding it takes a year to build 2 stations. So long because it's very difficult constructing metro in Kyiv since the city is situated on hills and therefore the Metro is extremely deep (100m below) which is the deepest underground transport in the world. Design is often changed right during the construction, which is a common practice in Ukraine today.

Ukraine is modernizing the system and also constantly expanding. Construction never stops in Kyiv, although there are constant (unfortunately) breaks in the funding for Donetsk and Dnipropetrovsk.

You've noticed correctly that some stations in Kyiv Underground look similar to the underground palaces of Moscow.
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:39 AM   #4
sOmeOne
Future Singaporean

Likes (Received): 19

Great stuff! Wish there were higher-quality shots tho.
In Kiev the metro functions just like in Moscow. You get carts coming in and out of the station every 15 seconds in rush hour, and in normal hours you get a cart every 30 seconds.
Old September 7th, 2004, 02:12 AM   #5
VelesHomais

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOmeOne
Great stuff! Wish there were higher-quality shots tho.
In Kiev the metro functions just like in Moscow. You get carts coming in and out of the station every 15 seconds in rush hour, and in normal hours you get a cart every 30 seconds.
Thanks. I'll try locating better quality shots.
Old September 7th, 2004, 02:23 AM   #6
sightlessgod
хаос = порядок

Likes (Received): 1

Pan Barvinok thank you for posting such wonderful and educational post about the metro in Ukraine. Even though I myself find metro of St-Petersburg and Moscow to be slightly superior I find them to be very similar in cleanliness and eye candy. The same can't be said about the subway in my current residence in the village of Brooklyn.
Old September 7th, 2004, 05:49 AM   #7
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

Kiev has some extremely beautiful subway stations. The metro system also seems to be very thorough, in that it has many lines going in all directions of the city.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #8
Bahraini Spirit

Likes (Received): 4

nice, got that russian feel to it from the days of the ussr.
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #9
blue_man100
Motorways Runner

Likes (Received): 31515

wow
these are quite nice subway stations....

diverse,
old but elegant,
and some are modern and nice

very extense metro system (subway)

I wish I could visit the eastern Europe very soon
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #10
Hitesh

wow i had no idea Ukraine had such beautiful subway stations.
I had no idea anywhere in the world had such beautiful subway stations. Im so used to the regular boring gray concrete box with white lights....sigh.
Hitesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #11
barnim
THE FALLEN EMPIRE

Could anyone paste some photos of Kievian Fast Tram?
barnim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #12
VelesHomais

The fast-tram of Kyiv
They are never intercepted by a road, any type of crossing, therefore they are able to travel at full speed.

This is the inside of the Kyiv's metro-cars(wagons).

Old September 8th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #13
Palal

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan_Stanislav
The fast-tram of Kyiv
This is the inside of the Kyiv's metro-cars(wagons).
May I point out that the pic you showed is an 817.17/.14 series car (I think I got that right) built 1973-present.
The E -series cars with various mods (built 1963-70, undergone at least 2 full rehabs), which once looked like this:

may soon look like this (still a prototype):

All pictures taken from http://metropoliten.kiev.ua/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan_Stanislav
The fast-tram of Kyiv
They are never intercepted by a road, any type of crossing, therefore they are able to travel at full speed.
I lived at the outer terminus of this tram (#1) from '91 to '95. Let me say that the service was horrible. The cars were overcrowded, the headways were unbearable, etc. Now there's talk about modernizing the tram and even modernizing the Tatra T3 cars into modern-looking 3-part articulated trains with a middle low-floor section. This is still only a project. I don't know about funding, or whatnot.

A few weeks earlier - still unassembled. These pics predate those above:
http://www.komitet.kiev.ua/brno/1.jpg - back view
http://www.komitet.kiev.ua/brno/2.jpg - back view
http://www.komitet.kiev.ua/brno/3.jpg - inside
http://www.komitet.kiev.ua/brno/4.jpg - windshield
http://www.komitet.kiev.ua/brno/5.jpg - front headlights
http://www.komitet.kiev.ua/brno/6.jpg - low-floor section http://www.komitet.kiev.ua/brno/7.jpg - inside
http://www.komitet.kiev.ua/brno/8.jpg

Last edited by Palal; September 8th, 2004 at 11:11 AM.
Palal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #14
Mongo8780
New guy

Likes (Received): 0

I was in Kyiv in 96 and 97 and there was this one station we went to where the escalator ride took forever. I read somewhere that they could double as bomb shelters if needed thats why they were built so deep. It was a great system though.
Mongo8780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #15
G.N
extremely flammable

Likes (Received): 4

I had no idea it is so deep! What about the access? Lifts,escalators?
G.N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #16
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 741

Some wonderful stations there, thanks for the info and photo's.
Old October 17th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #17
Palal

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.N
I had no idea it is so deep! What about the access? Lifts,escalators?
Deep-level stations all have escalators (usually 4 per exit). Not-so-deep stations don't have escalators. The system, just as all other ex-Soviet systems, don't have elevators, and are not accessible to people with disabilities.
Palal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #18
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat

Likes (Received): 130

Great pics. Ex-Soviet metro systems are usually very beautiful!
Vertigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 06:33 AM   #19
Dale

Likes (Received): 5502

Makes me want to go there, if only to see the Metro !
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:52 PM   #20
empersouf

Likes (Received): 22

Looks nice.
empersouf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
kharkiv, kyiv, lviv, metro, public transport, ukraine