daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Nigeria > Urbanism related discussions > Regional Developments > South West

Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:04 AM   #1
Nixoderm
Expert

Likes (Received): 3

LAGOS (Nigeria) | Lagos Energy City | Masterplan

After several weeks of waiting i was finally able to find a website : www.lagosenergycity.com or lagos.pasr.net/.
Both sites aren't working for my computer so feel free to post more info on this project.

Sponsored Links

Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:06 AM   #2
Nixoderm
Expert

Lagos Energy City is a 763 hectare development that will be located in Badagry town of Lagos State; it will be divided into two (2) zones with Zone 1 serving as a convention and Tourist Zone, while Zone 2 will be the Energy City Zone.

Country Location
Nigeria

Locality
Badagry State, West Lagos

Site Details
>In close proximity to the ECOWAS market (20 minutes from the Republic of Benin)
>Prime beach front property, fronting the Bight of Benin
>In close proximity to a 8-10 lane highway being planned by the government
>Less than an hours drive from the international and domestic airport

Size
763 hectares (zone 1 and zone 2)
Zone 1: 248 hectares
Zone 2: 515 hectares

Zone 1

The convention and tourist zone is focused on making Lagos the tourist destination of choice in the region specifically in the MICE market (meetings, incentive travel, conventions and exhibitions).

Planned Facilities for zone 1 will include the following:

* Convention center
* 500 room convention hotel
* Luxury resort
* Africa spa
* Luxury apartments
* Vacation homes
* Shopping malls and restaurants
* African Heritage center; among others

Zone 2

As the world’s 8th largest producer of oil, and the 10th largest proven oil reserves; Nigeria is an important element in the global energy sector, today and in the future. Zone 2 aims to strengthen the position of the country as a global energy hub, positioning it to join the ranks of other global energy hubs such as Singapore, Houston, Qatar and Calgary.

The zone will house multinational and national companies belonging to the Oil and Gas Industry, including industries in its value chain such as financial institutions, airline companies, government agencies and commissions and IT companies among others.

Planned Facilities in zone 2 will include the following:

* Office buildings
* Residential facilities for: Executive, Middle management, and staff level
* Retail centers
* Medical facilities
* School and educational centers
* Service buildings

Partners

The Lagos Energy City project is being undertaken with the following partners:

* Lagos State Government
* Siam Design Consortium
* Zenith Bank Plc.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:23 AM   #3
Nixoderm
Expert

Lagos Energy City preliminary Draft Master Plan

Location & Size
Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:28 AM   #4
Nixoderm
Expert

Zone 1

The development of Zone 1 or the convention and tourist zone will give an opportunity for Nigeria to be a regional leader in the convention, meetings, and exhibition tourist market, with the development of a world class convention facility and convention hotels.

Currently, the convention market in Nigeria has yet to be developed. The only proper convention facility in the country is located in Abuja, however it is of limited capacity. On the east of Nigeria, Tinapa, has a convention facility however it does not have any international connectivity as there are no international flights in the City. At present, conventions pertaining to the Oil and Gas industry are being held in Johannesburg, Houston or London, and Nigeria will be in a good position to host such events due to its importance in the energy sector.

Draft Plan for Zone 1 (by Siam Design Consortium)

Planned Facilities for Zone 1 will include the following:

Convention center
500 room convention hotel
Luxury resort
African Spa
Luxury serviced apartments
Vacation homes
Shopping malls and restaurants
African Heritage center; among others

Zone 2

As the world’s 8th largest producer of oil, and the 10th largest proven oil reserves; Nigeria is an important element in the global energy sector, today and in the future. Zone 2 aims to strengthen the position of the country as a global energy hub, positioning it to join the ranks of other global energy hubs such as Singapore, Houston, Qatar and Calgary.

The zone will house multinational and national companies belonging to the Oil and Gas Industry, including industries in its value chain such as financial institutions, airline companies, government agencies and commissions and IT companies among others.

The 515 hectare energy city zone will include the following:

Office buildings
Residential facilities for: Executive, Middle management, and staff level
Retail centers
Medical facilities
School and educational centers
Service buildings
Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:32 AM   #5
Nixoderm
Expert

Residential accommodation Layout

Lagos Energy City is being planned to provide and integrated community for people involved primarily in the Oil, Gas and Power sectors in Lagos Nigeria and the Africa continent. The draft plan includes a range of housing in the form of apartments, condimuiums, family houses and town houses to match life style diversity.

The Zone 2 layout will be strong associated with water with lakes and streams to offset the green eco friendly objectives of the development. There will be easy access to school for children, sports facilities and shopping plaza’s to meet the needs of daily living.

The Siam Design Consortium has undertake preliminary work in conjunction with the project sponsors Lagos City Energy to show possible layouts, housing designs and facilities to show the possibilities of the site.

* Apartments

The apartment bocks shown have dual 5 and 6 level structures with open common spaces and balconies. The landscaping will be based on the local flora with grass prominent between buildings. Trees and courtyard areas will be part of the open spaces to ensure that Green will be a strong colour. The unit layouts feature two and three bedroom apartments with full facilities.

* Housing

The housing types contemplated in the preliminary design features two story dwellings with family rooms, multiple parking bays, courtyards and ponds. The houses will have maid and driver quarters with up to four bedrooms upstairs.

* Town Houses

Preliminary designs have taken dark wood trim on the three story dwellings for town houses. While compact in nature the town houses concept proposed by the Siam Design Consortium for Lagos Enrgy City is contemporary and bright with trees and grass visible from all windows to keep the green eco friendly environment of the project. The town house will be clustered into groups of six units and feature dual parking maids quarters, terraces, en-suites and garden corners.

Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM   #6
sammyjay77
PAN AFRICAN

Likes (Received): 1

Now thats what I call music
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #7
lumargin

Likes (Received): 0

Is there going to be any private sector participation? Or a soley Lagos state initiative?
Do you have more details about the energy city?
lumargin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #8
Nixoderm
Expert

Its 100% controlled by the private sector. The government isn't spending a penny?
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #9
lumargin

interesting.....progress. Thanks for the info
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #10
Artemis
Modulor Man

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixoderm View Post
Its 100% controlled by the private sector. The government isn't spending a penny?
Like all big projects all over the world the local government is spending for roads at least and in most cases access to water and power - but Lagos Energy City gets its own independed power plant.

Last edited by Artemis; February 28th, 2008 at 06:41 PM.
Artemis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #11
Nixoderm
Expert

I have to confess, my disappointment with this city is immense! I expected tonnes more!
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #12
lumargin

Well there's nothing we can really do. I am quite delighted that power generation is a private sector initiative. At least we know it will get done!
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #13
ufookoro

Likes (Received): 2

25th February 2008 - Lagos Energy City cost rises to $1.8bn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Punch on the Web – Clara Nwachukwu

The cost for the execution of the Lagos Energy City is now $1.8bn, up from the previous $1.5bn, the project promoters have said.

The cost escalation is as a result of the entry of international hospitality giant, Marriott Hotels, as manager of one of the two five-star hotels to be sited in the Energy City, reputed to be the biggest eco-tourist centre in Africa.

Speaking at the unveiling and public presentation of the master plan in Lagos on Saturday, the Chief Executive Officer, Transglobal Energy Funds Pte Limited, Mr. Trivedi Kiran, said about $105m had so far been raised from equity funding for the project.

He said the amount would increase to $190m before the end of March, adding that the project would be financed solely from the equity funds, with 17.5 per cent raised locally. Kiran, who is also a member of the board of Supra Energy and Power City Limited, promoters of the project, stated that every aspect of it was being executed as schedule.

The Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, who presented the master plan, said the Lagos Energy City was in fulfilment of his administration’s promise to develop infrastructure made to the electorate during the campaigns. While reiterating that the state “would not entertain any claims to land ownership after the commencement of the project,” he urged the people of Badagry, where the project would be located, to cooperate with his administration to deliver on the project.

He noted that Lagos was capable of being the ideal African city, adding that the Energy City was one of the projects to realise such an objective. He stated that with a projected population explosion of 25million by 2015, the realisation of Lagos as a mega city could only come through radical transformation in infrastructure development such as being promoted by the project.

Fashola, therefore, appealed for understanding from all stakeholders in his government’s efforts to make Lagos an economic hub in Africa, and delivering on the Energy City, which he said would earn more money for the state on completion.

In particular, he expressed concern about the encroachment of the coastal line of Lagos by sand miners, adding that the Energy City would be one of the means of protecting the region from further encroachment.

Promising the promoters “a big deal and profitable venture,” the governor said he was particularly excited by the fact that apart from the 130 mega watts of power from an independent power project, it would still make use of alternative energy sources. Speaking about the energy crises in Nigeria, Fashola stated that the state would soon come up with its own contribution to finding a lasting solution to the problem.

Notwithstanding the fact that the state had lost about N10bn in the past three years from its statutory allocation due to the impasse on the Lagos-AES IPP, he said the state would continue to bear the burden until the issue was resolved with the Power Holding Company of Nigeria. Fashola said that many business concerns and some states in the western region were dependent on the power generated from the AES.
ufookoro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #14
pappy

Nice one, Fashola seems to be on his Ps and Qs.
pappy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #15
pappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyjay77 View Post
Now thats what I call music
Sweet music indeed.
pappy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #16
sammyjay77
PAN AFRICAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
Sweet music indeed.

It does sound good to my sights and hearings and am gonna Dance and drink to it
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #17
ufookoro

Likes (Received): 2

I was watching AIT (African Independent Television) which was reporting on the project. There were diggers and all sorts of heavy machinery working on either Access routes etc. It seemed like a hive of activity. Watch this space.
ufookoro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #18
sammyjay77
PAN AFRICAN

We have almost forgotten this project...it is under construction, I understand
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #19
Nsukka
BANNED

Where's Joblessbeggar? We've got to get some pics of what's going on on that site. The current scale of the project sound rather minor to what I was expecting, though I am sure that there will be plenty of open room provided within the project for future expansion as needed.

If upon completion of the first Zone, the project dose well for about the first 3 years then I'll guarantee that both the first and second zones will have to be expanded in that several more companies will be looking to move in.

By the way, my Wife's uncle.. who has a lot of business connections back in Nigeria.. says that he's received word that Wal-Mart has confirmed that they will be entering the African Market for the first time via the placement of one medium size outlet in Tinapa, and two Super Wal-Marts within Lagos State Somewhere. Anyone hear about this?
Nsukka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #20
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsukka View Post
Where's Joblessbeggar? We've got to get some pics of what's going on on that site. The current scale of the project sound rather minor to what I was expecting, though I am sure that there will be plenty of open room provided within the project for future expansion as needed.

If upon completion of the first Zone, the project dose well for about the first 3 years then I'll guarantee that both the first and second zones will have to be expanded in that several more companies will be looking to move in.

By the way, my Wife's uncle.. who has a lot of business connections back in Nigeria.. says that he's received word that Wal-Mart has confirmed that they will be entering the African Market for the first time via the placement of one medium size outlet in Tinapa, and two Super Wal-Marts within Lagos State Somewhere. Anyone hear about this?
cool ive always wanted to see some big american stores coming into nigeria.
qymekkam no está en línea   Reply With Quote