daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Mainland China Forums 中国大陆论坛 > City Hall/议事厅 > Society and Urbanization

Society and Urbanization Birth control, rural/urban development, migration, social topics etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Nefast
Reregistered User

Likes (Received): 1

What do Chinese eat for breakfast and snack?

I was wondering what Chinese eat for breakfast. I know of baozi 包子 (yummie!) and steamed bread 饅頭 but what else is there? And what about snacks 小吃?
Nefast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #2
gaoanyu

Likes (Received): 5

Interesting questions, I miss Chinese type breakfast so much, because I only have cereals with cold milk these days. It tasted great at first, but all the time...
Anyway, apart from the things you've mentioned which I love very much, we often have 大米稀饭 (rice potridge) to go with baozi or 馒头. Besides that, I sometimes will have noddles in a soup base (汤面 ) or just fast noddles (快餐面/方便面) when I need to be fast. Another intereting thing is called 油条 (youtiao) type of fried bread,and when eating this, we always drink soya milk with a bit sugar. Less often, I will have rice with some soup and pickles when I feel like eating more.
So basically, for me, I prefer some solid stuff to go with liquid stuff for breakfast if you know what I mean. But they have to be hot or warm (temperature hot) food, because mum always told me hot food is good for stomach and digestion. Or maybe I come from a very cold area (Heilongjiang province), and that we need hotter food.
gaoanyu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #3
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 21

I like niurou tangmian (soupy beef noddles), xiao huntun (wantan) and all kinds of dianxin (dimsum).
YelloPerilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #4
Sen

Likes (Received): 15

I think most Chinese eat western style breakfast, (bread, milk and so on), snacks? anything we can get our hands on.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #5
YelloPerilo
BANNED

What? This is BS!
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #6
gaoanyu

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
I think most Chinese eat western style breakfast
you think.
gaoanyu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #7
Ohno
Ethnic minority of China

Likes (Received): 10

I only list the breakfast my family has.
Two parts :
1) soup.
a). Bean soup ( soya milk) 豆浆 . Of course, we bought from stores offering the breakfast.
b). Milk
c). Home-made soup. most likely, mix the egg, lettuce, yansui ( xiangcai 香菜 ) , onion, tomato, zicai as vetegatian soup, or add ground meat broth soup.
2) other zhushi ( 主食 )
a). Baozi 包子 ( chicken and mushroom, my favorite)
b) .mantou , dou bao, or huajuan and others ( 馒头 花卷,豆包,油条 , and一些北京的小吃 )
The breakfast is very simple. no snack time usually. The supper is the most delicious part among three meals.

I miss Chinese- style breakfast.

Last edited by Ohno; August 7th, 2006 at 08:38 PM.
Ohno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #8
Sen

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloPerilo

What? This is BS!
to be honest i dont know anyone who eats Chinese style breakfast on a daily basis, except for old people. it simply takes too much time to prepare them, you dont have that time when you get up at 6:30 and has to run to school by 7. heck most of the time i dont even eat breakfast, just bring cookies to school and try to eat them when teacher is writing the notes on blackboard and therefore isn't noticing.

this is ture for most of my friends and classmates as well, most dont eat breakfast, and when I think of snacks I think of cookies and potato chips.

I do eat stuff you guys mentioned, but very rarely. I dont think anyone eats them regularly unless they really care about what they are eating or they have too much free time. (which is not the case for most people who go to school or work)
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Sen

and dont get upset by the word "western", i am sure bread+milk is not even traditionally western breakfast, but it's fast and gives you enough energy. that's what most people I know eat for breakfast. I dont know which parts of China you guys live/lived but it seems very different...
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #10
Ohno
Ethnic minority of China

We only talk about what we eat instead of how to prepare. It is impossible to prepare breakfast in the morning in a flash.
All I mentioned is the usual breakfast my family ate. Usually my parents got up earlier and bought them back or got them ready yesterday. Occasionally at weekend, I could have a real home-made breakfast. Sometimes, I just stopped by the store across the street and grabed something for tummy , then left. Right now, my breakfast is holy simple, a cup of milk , that is it.
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #11
duskdawn
My Heart is with Beijing.

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen
and dont get upset by the word "western", i am sure bread+milk is not even traditionally western breakfast, but it's fast and gives you enough energy. that's what most people I know eat for breakfast. I dont know which parts of China you guys live/lived but it seems very different...
I second that.
Not trying to be a anti-traditional-er but people in modern cities in China do eat milk and breads a lot for breakfast.
Japanese people grow 10 cm taller during the decades after switched their traditional breakfast to western breakfast.
It is like a joke but it is sad true.
I highly advocate the variances of the food, eastern and western, both have delicious and healthy food for alternative.
duskdawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #12
taibei12345
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

China Mongolian traditonal food are milk!
taibei12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #13
taibei12345
BANNED

har har,i live in Hong Kong,i have plenty plenty choice than all of u
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #14
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen
to be honest i dont know anyone who eats Chinese style breakfast on a daily basis, except for old people. it simply takes too much time to prepare them, you dont have that time when you get up at 6:30 and has to run to school by 7. heck most of the time i dont even eat breakfast, just bring cookies to school and try to eat them when teacher is writing the notes on blackboard and therefore isn't noticing.

this is ture for most of my friends and classmates as well, most dont eat breakfast, and when I think of snacks I think of cookies and potato chips.

I do eat stuff you guys mentioned, but very rarely. I dont think anyone eats them regularly unless they really care about what they are eating or they have too much free time. (which is not the case for most people who go to school or work)
Whenever I am in China I always get my Chinese breakfast in my neighbouring miandang (noddle shop) or just on the street. On week-end I would go with friends to yincha/ yumcha. That's how most of my friends do, even some of my non-Chinese friends.
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #15
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibei12345
har har,i live in Hong Kong,i have plenty plenty choice than all of u
I envy you!
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #16
taibei12345
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen
to be honest i dont know anyone who eats Chinese style breakfast on a daily basis
if you are live out of China i will agree,but i live in HK ,HK and Cantonese like to go restaurant every morning to have dimsum,in HK i don't need to cook at all,outside my house there are plenty of small restaurants,they open at 6AM,some even overnight,they provide plenty of traditional foods,also have bread and milk,you can choose what u like,and the price of the foods are cheap too!
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #17
Ohno
Ethnic minority of China

It happens in Beijing too. In the morning or afternoon, we can get these traditional food in market or 副食店.
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #18
taibei12345
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloPerilo
I envy you!
hoho you envy 不了那么多!
Some rail station in HK even have food court,Sen move to HK 吧!

this is one of the rail station in HK,save Sen's time to work!

inside Maxin has bread ,cake,pies,milk............
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #19
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibei12345
if you are live out of China i will agree,but i live in HK ,HK and Cantonese like to go restaurant every morning to have dimsum,in HK i don't need to cook at all,outside my house there are plenty of small restaurants,they open at 6AM,some even overnight,they provide plenty of traditional foods,also have bread and milk,you can choose what u like,and the price of the foods are cheap too!
I never cook once when I'm in China. Foods are so inexpensive and the choices are just amazing ... when I think of China ...
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #20
taibei12345
BANNED

dimsum---HK and Cantonese traditional breakfast .

yum yum..

叉烧包,鸡包,roast pork bun,chiken bun,yum yum..

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: