daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1623

Whitley Bay, Tynemouth, Cullercoats & Monkseaton Area - Developments

Some GOOD news in the Evening Chronicle today (25th Nov. 2009) . .

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #2
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 6

Still leaves the desperately sad situation along the promenade ..

it's more derelict than ever at the minute despite numerous promises of re-generation over the last 5-10 years
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtoon View Post
Still leaves the desperately sad situation along the promenade ..

it's more derelict than ever at the minute despite numerous promises of re-generation over the last 5-10 years

Things are supposed to be happening, there was an "Action Plan" agreed by North Tyneside Council in 2006/2007 (!)

It was reported here on 20th February 2007 . . .

£60M Development for Whitley Bay moves ahead

Councillors in North Tyneside have approved plans for the regeneration of the seafront at holiday resort Whitley Bay. The £60m plans to create a vibrant heart for Whitley Bay through the regeneration of Spanish City and the seafront, have been agreed by councillors at a Planning Committee meeting on February 20th 2007.

‘This is a real turning point for Whitley Bay,’ said North Tyneside Mayor John Harrison. ‘Everyone has waited a long time for this day. It is part of our plans for a billion-pound borough and it is fantastic news for the town and for North Tyneside.’

North Tyneside Council's planning committee last night approved the proposals which include a new arts and cultural centre for the borough combining a £multi-million restoration of the listed Dome alongside a refurbished Playhouse.

The aim is to deliver a top class arts hub with an art gallery space and performance areas for music, plays and dance.

Other elements of the scheme include:

• A high quality modernised Whitley Bay leisure pool including a new entrance and reception area alongside soft play and catering. It would have innovative ‘active play’ equipment for children and a new flume. There would also be a new changing village and a large well equipped gym, dance studio and refurbished health suite with direct access to the pool.

• A new-look Whitley Park including an events area, and new children's play areas.

• A quality hotel or alternative housing.

• Around 200 houses including 10 per cent affordable housing. This is approximately half the amount of housing originally envisaged for the scheme and is a result of consulting with local people on the proposals.

• A skateboard park on the site of the former Panama café.

• A library/joint service centre to provide customer-focused services for residents.

• Environmental improvements both on The Links and around the site.

‘This gives a clear message to residents; this council is totally committed to the regeneration of Whitley Bay and to the town's future success and prosperity,’ said John Harrison.

‘At last the time for talking is over. Now is the time for action. Within three years we want to see this scheme virtually complete. People can finally be assured that Whitley Bay has a strong future.’

The plans represent the most significant and one of the largest sets of planning applications ever submitted by the council.

North Tyneside Council jointly submitted the applications for the 13 sites along the seafront with partners Places for People - one of the UK's largest housing developers.

Whitley Bay Playhouse Trust, One NorthEast and SENNTRI (Southeast Northumberland and North Tyneside Regeneration initiative) have supported the proposals.

The applications which were approved were for regeneration of the Dome, with a separate listed building application which will now go to the Secretary of State for approval.

An outline application was approved for the remaining sites. This includes either a 65 bed hotel or 56 apartments on the site of the hotel and a site to the south of the Dome should the hotel not proceed.
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #4
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 649

I'm sure last year or earlier this year they said that they planned on getting the shops down by where Grainger Games is to move into the town centre, so that area could be used as residential, and the empty spaces in the town centre could be filled.

A good idea in my mind.

B&M Bargains isn't exactly what anyone would of wanted to replace Woolworths, but it's still along the same lines. Sainsbury's is good news though, and now I bet Wilkoes will try to snap up either the old COOP store or the TJ Alan's old store.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; March 26th, 2011 at 04:30 PM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I'm sure last year or earlier this year they said that they planned on getting the shops down by where Grainger Games is to move into the town centre, so that area could be used as residential, and the empty spaces in the town centre could be filled.

A good idea in my mind.

B&M Bargains isn't exactly what anyone would of wanted to replace Woolworths, but it's still along the same lines. Sainsbury's is good news though, and now I bet Wilkoes will try to snap up either the old COOP sotre or the TJ Alan's old store.
Now, I knew that piece of news was on this forum somewhere, but I couldn't remember where! I have found it now though, on the 'City Centre Retail' thread - but, now that we have a dedicated Whitley Bay thread . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
I know its not city centre retail but I didnt know where to put it....apparently Woolworths in Whitley Bay is being turned into a B&M Bargains...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
OH dear! god that store is awful! such a prominent site in Whitley Bay too
Was this news in the newspaper somewhere? I can't find it.
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #6
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Actually, I was reading in the paper on Monday that it isn't yet confirmed, B&M Bargains can't confirm anything because they don't have an area manager for the Whitley Bay area, and not even the people fitting out the shop know who they are doing for, they are just assuming it's B&M Bargians. With it opening tomorrow though, it's about to be confirmed.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

From the current "BBC Tyne" Website . .

Spanish City Dome, Whitley Bay

The iconic Dome of Spanish City has long been a landmark of Whitley Bay. The Spanish City was opened in 1910 and was a permanent seaside fairground, but the Dome is all that remains. It has been a ballroom, amusement arcade and a live music venue.

The Dome has fallen into disrepair but work is now starting on a £60m regeneration project by North Tyneside Council for the seafront area which will include refurbishing the Dome to create a performance area, art gallery and workshop space.

The remains of the bar inside the Dome. This is one of the last chances to see what the Dome currently looks like inside before work starts to strip out the interior. The project aims to restore the Dome to its former glory as a thriving venue.

There are still posters on the wall for the New Year's Eve party held at the Dome on 31 December 2002.

The orange section at the base of the Dome will be demolished. The project includes a two-storey rear extension, demolishing the side extension to the ballroom to reveal a 1920s part of the building and replacing windows.

I think these notes from the BBC Tyne Website today (25th November 2009) were put up last year, as things have moved on a little bit since then. Interesting though! Anyone have any later/latest photos of how the work on the Spanish City Dome is progressing?
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #8
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 6

back in the good old days ..

maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #9
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

The last I heard, the previouse Labour council spent all of the money and went way over budgets, and hoped some private backer would come while they still spent. Now the Conservatives are in the are trying to get funding from the EU, and also a private backer, meaning they may have to sell it too someone like Gala and use it as a Bingo hall, something which they didn't want to happen, there is a fear that there will not be enough money to complete the dome, never mind the rest of the seafront which was all budgeted for, and spend all on the dome.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; March 26th, 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #10
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Re-generation was already URGENTLY needed, back in 2005 . . .

Old November 30th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #11
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Regeneration turns the tide at coastal resorts
by Peter McCusker, The Journal

Regeneration projects like Whitley Bay Playhouse are underpinning the transformation of our coastal towns and resorts, says John Baird of Archial Architects, Newcastle. Construction work on Whitley Bay's new super modern Playhouse is now complete and the venue is now open for business.

The transformation of the Playhouse from its former tired self into an elegant arts and leisure hub not only represents a huge milestone in the revival of Whitley Bay, but also points to a trend in the wider regeneration of the Tyneside coast.

The £8m redevelopment of the Playhouse is one of the cornerstone projects underpinning North Tyneside Council’s £64m regeneration of the Whitley Bay area. We’ve already seen the £6m refurbishment of Whitley Bay’s Waves leisure pool, a new play site and great improvements made to Whitley Bay Park.

In the next phase of the area’s makeover, a Joint Service Centre is to be created that offers a range of community amenities from a modern library to health services, while the council is currently considering developers’ proposals for the redevelopment of the former Spanish City amusement park site.

And this commitment to major regeneration is not only being made at Whitley Bay, but along the North East coastline.

North East resorts are benefiting from much-needed investment being provided by the government under its £45m three-year Sea Change programme (ending in 2011) which is committed to reviving British coastal towns. It’s about time too. Over the last three decades the rise of cheap overseas travel has encouraged many to overlook the UK destinations and head overseas. As a result, British coastal towns floundered and Whitley Bay was no exception. But the reinvigoration of the North East’s coast through major public and private investment is demonstrating that these once proud towns can become destinations again.

This, combined with the effects of the recession and the weakness of the pound against the euro, means visitor numbers to UK attractions are significantly higher this year, according to the Association of Leading Visitor Attractions.

So why not pay a visit to Whitley Bay and enjoy a performance at the Playhouse by the sea, and experience 'regeneration' at its coastal best!
Old December 12th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

A Dream day in Whitley Bay for the Countess of Wessex
Dec 12 2009 The Journal

THE Countess of Wessex had one of her dreams come true in the North East yesterday. As part of her tour of the region, Her Royal Highness officially opened the newly-refurbished Whitley Bay Playhouse, in North Tyneside, and unveiled a plaque to mark the occasion.

She then sat in the audience and watched a performance of Any Dream Will Do from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, starring Craig Chalmers and children from the Whitley Bay Combined Schools’ Choir.

The Countess said: “I was going to see Joseph when it first opened in London. I have been an avid follower of the dream to find Joseph. Unfortunately I never made it because I actually fell ill. I was hugely disappointed to never get there. So it’s a huge treat for me to see that performance. Thank you very much indeed.

“I hope this theatre provides a lot of entertainment for everyone in years to come. It’s a huge pleasure for me to be here. Thank you to all the schoolchildren who performed here. I thought they were absolutely marvellous.

“It’s a great pleasure for me to formally open the theatre.”

The choir also sang Fame and youngsters from the Glebe Special School performed two songs.

The royal visitor was then presented with a bunch of flowers by eight-year-old Rebecca Kerr, daughter of North Tyneside Council’s chief executive Andrew Kerr. Politicians and local authority representatives as well as theatre groups, operatic society members and children from Marine Park First School also got a chance to meet her.

North Tyneside Mayor Linda Arkley said: “I am delighted Her Royal Highness took time out of her busy schedule to mark this special occasion for us.”
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #13
MrRolandRat

Likes (Received): 0

Cullercoats seafront small developments

Started chatting about his on another thread so thought i'd start a new topic to outline what i know about what is happening along Cullercoats seafront.

Candyman - Rumoured icecream parlour/coffee shop, but not too sure. Last i saw they have knocked all the walls down, through to the rock shop on John Street and have dug the floors out too, so they are a way off completing...

The Old Amusements next to The Crescent Club - I think the owners of Mama Rosa's/Brunos are developing it into a restaurant/winebar in a similar vein to Lui's in Tynemouth...Looks great so far and should be open by the end of January.

Old Wine Merchant on Beverley Tce - Converting back into a house as far as i can see

Beacon House, Beverley Terrace - I don't know, but some sort of renovation has been going on for over a year now, anyone else know?

I've thought for a while now that it would be really great to create some kind of continuous promenade from Tynemouth Station all the way along the seafront, past Cullercoats Bay and on to St Mary's Lighthouse to link up the North Tyneside coast...
MrRolandRat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #14
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

I saw a skip and small amount of activity 2 weeks ago outside of Candyman. Also I saw that house that is being totally renovated, including sandstone pillars and frames including ingraved details around the doorway and windows which is just up the road from the Candyman store.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #15
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Trust set to help redevelop Whitley Bay
ATTEMPTS to revamp a seaside town and put it back on the map have moved forward.

Whitley Bay was a favourite summer holiday visitor spot for generations of people but over the last few years the town has felt the pinch.

Now the Whitley Bay Development Trust has been set up in an effort to regenerate the historic part of North Tyneside.

It is a non-political organisation with a small team of directors and wants residents and friends of Whitley Bay to get involved.

The group has also launched a website at www.whitleybaydevelopmenttrust.org to drive forward their plans.

Its aims include helping people to set up businesses in the area and ensure they get the support they need, bringing disused buildings back to life, and working with other organisations to create more jobs and apprenticeships.

Bill Midgley, chairman of the group and former president of British Chambers of Commerce, said the trust’s directors will reap no personal gain.

He added: “'We are not doing this for us. We’re responding to the needs of the town, not dictating to people, which is why we would like to hear what people have to say.

“There is a need for business units and for more opportunities for entrepreneurs and young people in the town. We want those with entrepreneurial and other skills to stay in Whitley Bay and help it grow again.”

Chief executive Christine Savage added: “The website is there to let people know what can be done to revitalise Whitley Bay and, through the website, they can have a say in what they believe needs to be done.

“We have already had a number of encouraging comments, which is really gratifying and shows people are really interested in changing the face of the town.”

She said people would soon be able buy a stake in the trust.

She added: “We feel that no-one is speaking up for Whitley Bay, and we want to move forward as quickly as we can to make a difference.

“Whitley Bay has been allowed to deteriorate over a long period of time and we want to help reverse that trend. We believe there are a lot of people in the town, and people who have close associations with it, who want to see it prosper and grow again.”

Alan Campbell, Tynemouth MP, said: “'I support the Whitley Bay Development Trust in their endeavours to redevelop and regenerate the town.

“Their work brings together the cultural talent of our area with a strong sense of community, to put local people in the driving seat of regeneration. I wish them well in all they do.”

Words of support have also come from Wendy Morton, the Conservative parliamentary candidate for Tyneside, who said: “I am pleased to support the trust and look forward to following their progress in the community.”

As well as Ms Savage and Mr Midgley, the trust’s directors are accountant Gavin Hennessey, company director Toby Bridges and businessman Paul Irwin.

A series of public open meetings and exhibitions about the work will take place at St Paul’s Church, in Whitley Bay, on February 18, February 25, March 4, March 11 and March 13.

The group’s website is at www.whitleybaydevelopmenttrust.org.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-25761448/
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #16
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

I hope I am wrong but I will be more than surprised if this trust makes a shred of difference to Whitley Bay.

Whitley has been caught in a no mans land for far too long now. Certainly for as long as I have known it. Is it a fully fledged place in its own right? or is it simply a Newcastle suburb?

What is certain I feel is that the town centre can never be more than it already is. They just have to try and get most of the shops occupied with whatever possible. But youre never going to get big retailers in Whitley again because the Silverlink and the city centre are far too close and people travel.

Where they need to focus in my opinion is on the entertainment side of things. The day the Spanish City closed down was the day they pulled the plug on the life support machine. To replace it with a school was a disaster. The only way in which I can see Whitley prosper again is to try and create a sort of Blackpool of the North East.

They somehow need to get a fairground back. I know they have one on the links for a couple of weeks in the summer but thats not good enough. What I also want to see is the fantastic beach and promenade area really utilzed in the summer with every kind of beach related fun times you can imagine. Water sports, donkey rides kite surfing etc etc.

The promenade is a huge place which has housed shops and cafes before and im sure some kind of entertainment and stalls and other such related things could be set up again and to greater effect.

If they can accomplish this and make the beach/promenade/links area a place to spend the entire day for the family who will then move up into the bars and restaurants in the town centre in the evening then this is the way back up for Whitley Bay in my opinion.
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #17
tcollins

Likes (Received): 2

I happen to know that the Development Trust is progressing at least one scheme which is currently pre-planning, and I will share more as soon as I can. Can't comment on the longer-term aspirations and plans, but they're making a start!
tcollins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:14 PM   #18
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Plan for luxury Whitley Bay beach huts moves step closer
THE company behind a £2m scheme to build 21 luxury beach huts in Whitley Bay has raised investment to roll out the scheme nationwide and unveiled plans to open an art gallery at the site.

Newcastle-based Beach Hut Resorts (BHR) has won final planning approval to build the huts on the Northern Promenade this year and has now gathered together a group of investors to fund a £30m rollout of similar developments in coastal resorts from Scotland to the south coast.

These developments will include the construction of a new art gallery in Whitley Bay this summer, which will accommodate three artists’ workshops to help support emerging talent.

The gallery, which is planned to be completed in July in time for a summer show, will sit opposite Rendezvous cafe and will be managed as a community interest company, meaning that all profits will be used to support local art projects.

BHR now plans to open further galleries and workshops along the coastline to promote a Cultural Coast to North Tyneside programme and has also acquired several sites further down the country for future developments, including the construction of 1,200 day-stay and overnight beach huts over the next three years.

Kensington and Partners, which were behind schemes including the renovation of Hebburn Hall and the Court House in Morpeth, are the principal architects behind BHR.

BHR has praised North Tyneside Council for backing this vision and has high hopes that the developments can speed up the regeneration of the North Tyneside coastline as one of the region’s biggest holiday destinations.

Darren Baker, financial director at BHR, said: “We feel that North Tyneside Council has the vision and ability to regenerate the coast. Its commitment to our project and understanding of the benefit it brings to tourism and inward investment is refreshing.

“We would like to extend the art programme, opening galleries and workshops along the coast to promote a Cultural Coast to North Tyneside.

“We feel this would support tourism and investment providing a cultural walk from Tynemouth to Whitley Bay, again with all profits being invested back into the community.”

The beach hut development at Whitley Bay will follow soon after the launch of the gallery and is hoped to encourage tourists to explore the coastline as well as visit a number of newly- developed visitor attractions, including the Whitley Bay Playhouse theatre and Waves leisure pool.

Mr Miller said: “We feel our projects are a small stepping stone towards the vision of full coastal regeneration. Along with the planned Spanish City programme and the ongoing work North Tyneside Council is doing, we feel we are at the beginning of a coastal renaissance.

“We admire the mayor and her team for their forward thinking and clear vision for the coast and would welcome any opportunity to work further with the council in the future.”
http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-25891166/
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #19
tcollins

Likes (Received): 2

The Whitley Bay Development Trust has now submitted an application for the former Co-op store: Application Reference 10/00313/FUL

"Change of use of premises from retail (use class A1) to two retail units (use class A1) at ground floor level and offices (use class B1) at first floor level. External works to include new shop frontage, first floor windows and part demolition of rear elevation to create on-site car parking"

Basically I believe that the large existing ground-floor unit will be sub-divided into smaller units, which I think will really improve the street-scene around there and get rid of massive windows filled entirely with Co-op branding.
tcollins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #20
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcollins View Post
The Whitley Bay Development Trust has now submitted an application for the former Co-op store: Application Reference 10/00313/FUL

"Change of use of premises from retail (use class A1) to two retail units (use class A1) at ground floor level and offices (use class B1) at first floor level. External works to include new shop frontage, first floor windows and part demolition of rear elevation to create on-site car parking"

Basically I believe that the large existing ground-floor unit will be sub-divided into smaller units, which I think will really improve the street-scene around there and get rid of massive windows filled entirely with Co-op branding.
I agree, thats good news.

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, monkseaton, north shields, north tyneside, tynemouth, whitley bay