daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2016, 12:49 AM   #21
j-hah

Likes (Received): 264

I like it, too. It's not gorgeous, but it'll be really nice for the area. I'm happy we're getting some nice, glassy structures downtown as we were really missing that in our skyline.

phxtravelboy liked this post
j-hah no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2016, 12:53 AM   #22
needhair

Likes (Received): 2838

From The Business Journal Rendering it shows that City Hall is reflecting on the glass.
Old December 8th, 2016, 12:58 AM   #23
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1295

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-hah View Post
I like it, too. It's not gorgeous, but it'll be really nice for the area. I'm happy we're getting some nice, glassy structures downtown as we were really missing that in our skyline.
yeah, it's not an architectural revelation or anything, but then again most buildings aren't. as long as the materials and detailing are kept at a high level, this will be a very nice glassy addition to milwaukee's core. and the rounded corner at water/wells is a nice touch. and while it's not tall enough to massively impact the overall skyline, it will add more visual bulk and density to a sub-region of downtown that hasn't seen anything substantial and new for quite some time.

and best of all, a drab, ugly, street-killing parking garage bites the dust! say whatever you want about the new tower's design, that's ALWAYS a massive upgrade in urban design.

Yeled, Crankbaiter, eaglesfant37, embora liked this post

Last edited by Steely Dan; December 8th, 2016 at 01:09 AM.
Steely Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 01:00 AM   #24
PrettyLights

Likes (Received): 178

Love it!
PrettyLights no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 01:33 AM   #25
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Milwaukee is upgrading in a big way. Downtown Milwaukee is pretty built up as is but all these different projects will make it appear much more vibrant and impressive. Density is our biggest advantage going forward as a city. Uninterrupted development, built-up neighborhoods stretching from Shorewood down to St. Francis. And it isn't too shabby going west.

Mini-Chicago.

MKERevival, needhair, mbradleyc liked this post
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 01:38 AM   #26
RN_NM

Likes (Received): 2424

The bonus is it helps turn water street even more of an urban canyon!

j-hah, needhair liked this post
RN_NM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 01:41 AM   #27
Cocory

Likes (Received): 140

Has to be added to Wikipedia if not done already hadn't had time to Check.!
Cocory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #28
Cocory

Likes (Received): 140

Also the tallest building list needs a upgrade.! With Nwm and 833 e added to it.
Cocory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 01:57 AM   #29
splat8

Likes (Received): 6607

More info on this project courtesy of the Business Journal:

Quote:
Michael Best law firm to relocate to BMO Harris' downtown office tower development

Law firm Michael Best & Friedrich LLP will move its downtown Milwaukee office to the top two-and-a-half floors of BMO Harris Bank’s planned new office tower development on North Water Street, the Milwaukee Business Journal has learned. The firm plans to move to the BMO Harris building when it is completed in late 2019, said David Krutz, managing partner of the Milwaukee law firm.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...mo-harris.html
So this project is essentially a certainty, there are already two sizable tenants lined up and I really don't see the city putting up any resistance to this project. A lot different than the similar sized Washington Square proposal which just could never seem to land any tenants to get the project going.
Old December 8th, 2016, 02:16 AM   #30
RN_NM

Likes (Received): 2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat8 View Post
More info on this project courtesy of the Business Journal:

So this project is essentially a certainty, there are already two sizable tenants lined up and I really don't see the city putting up any resistance to this project. A lot different than the similar sized Washington Square proposal which just could never seem to land any tenants to get the project going.
That partially had to be due to the time of that project, wasn't it in 2011? So companies were really just starting to get going fully again after the recession, finally starting to hire more again, most companies didn't want to move then. If they propose it again now there could be trouble again though trying to get tenants with all the new office space but it could likely be done a lot easier now than then.
RN_NM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 03:07 AM   #31
proMKE

Likes (Received): 8

If BMO retains naming rights to the new Bucks arena it make sense that they would want a nice shiny new building in the background. I've always liked the skyline shots shown during sporting events. Also like how close the two buildings are together.
proMKE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 03:11 AM   #32
UDubs

Likes (Received): 1178

Neat. It's like if Washington Square and Cathedral Place merged.

It looks like the vacant lot I was curious about on Broadway will be replaced by another parking garage.

Here are much higher resolution versions of one of the renderings. Click the links for the biggest I could find:

Full Resolution

Full Resoluion

Full Resolution
Old December 8th, 2016, 03:18 AM   #33
UDubs

Likes (Received): 1178

In the higher resolution pictures, it looks like there's a storefront labeled "Retail" at the corner of Broadway and Wells, which I think would be great. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there might be another one, or possibly a bank branch or just a lobby, at the base of their new parking structure replacing the 769 N Broadway lot.

MilwaukeeMax liked this post
UDubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 03:35 AM   #34
MilwaukeeMax
🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲

Likes (Received): 2658

It would be nice if the city could FINALLY get rid of that stupid right-turn-only lane for northbound traffic on Water Street that is turning east on Wells. That turning lane is one of the most obnoxious and unnecessary wastes of space in downtown. It makes crossing Water street by foot a pain and would look much much nicer if the curb just came all the way out instead of having a dedicated turning lane.

MKERevival, gobrewers, embora liked this post
MilwaukeeMax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 03:51 AM   #35
MKERevival
Just a Source of Opinion

Likes (Received): 4285

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMax View Post
It would be nice if the city could FINALLY get rid of that stupid right-turn-only lane for northbound traffic on Water Street that is turning east on Wells. That turning lane is one of the most obnoxious and unnecessary wastes of space in downtown. It makes crossing Water street by foot a pain and would look much much nicer if the curb just came all the way out instead of having a dedicated turning lane.

Honestly, every turn lane in downtown that's like that one should be re-done. Prospect and Kilbourn comes to mind.

Wisconsin Breweries Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1075...jWnONeAyafvqLw

MilwaukeeMax, embora liked this post
MKERevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 03:56 AM   #36
MilwaukeeMax
🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲

Likes (Received): 2658

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKERevival View Post
Honestly, every turn lane in downtown that's like that one should be re-done. Prospect and Kilbourn comes to mind.
Agreed. There are a ton along Michigan that need to go away as well.
MilwaukeeMax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 04:04 AM   #37
VVisconsin08

Likes (Received): 6507

I can't tell if I like it or not. I like the density, I like how the backside of it sort of looks like it takes cues from the existing BMO Harris building with the vertical lines. I'm not so sold on the curved corner, I also hope that they can eliminate the parking entrance along Water St and use that area as more of a little plaza or something. The whole building looks very similar to the initial proposal for Washington Square if you really look at it. The white parking block with the glass rising above.

MilwaukeeMax liked this post
VVisconsin08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 04:45 AM   #38
wisco220

Likes (Received): 136

I imagine the curved glass corner will give a better view of City Hall from the inside.
wisco220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 04:54 AM   #39
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Now hopefully someone tears down that parking garage and stupid billboard on Wells and Milwaukee, the one with the cool classic car art piece.

eaglesfant37, MilwaukeeMax, j-hah liked this post
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 08:38 AM   #40
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMike View Post
I doubt this - the NIMBY's in this case would be the city itself and I doubt they will turn down the added tax base on the basis that it's taller than city hall. If this were Madison and the State Capital - then yes - but not here.
Yeah, NIMBY's was not the best term.

Keep in mind the owner of the Empire State Building and some other New Yorkers were up in arms about 15 Penn Plaza overshadowing the Empire State Building despite being about the same height. As you said, I doubt the city itself would be pissed.

From what I've seen in the renders tough, the BMO Harris Tower looks great.
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, juneautown, milwaukee, office building