daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #1
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Newcastle University - Developments

Here's a thread to post any news or updates about the developments on the Newcastle University Campus, etc . . .

If you've got any exclusive news that would be good too.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; September 16th, 2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Repaired broken image link
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Newcastle University Admin Building Photo's

Taken by Newcastle Historian and posted originally on 12/9/2009

Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Newcastle University Admin Bulding Photo

A few pages back it was suggested the entrance might on the right of the building BUT as we can see it will be on the left hand side

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1100/dsc01167u.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5743/dsc01177q.jpg

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/1816/dsc01169az.jpg

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; September 16th, 2014 at 12:19 PM.
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #4
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Just a quick summary of the current developments at Newcastle University.

Kings Gate

Cost: £35m
Architect: Bond Bryan Architects

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/about/campus/de.../kingsgate.htm

INTO Newcastle

Cost: £50m
Architect: FaulknerBrowns

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/about/campus/de...jects/into.htm

Medical Sciences Building

Cost: £29.8m
Architect: FaulknerBrowns

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/about/campus/de...ts/medical.htm

Business School

Cost: Commercial pre-let
Architect: Ian Simpson Architects

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/about/campus/de...jects/nubs.htm
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #5
TownPlanningNE

INTO Newcastle:

Old October 18th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1630

The landscaping around the new Admin Building (Kings Gate) is now well under way, here is a photo of what it was like only a few months ago, and a copy of the PLANS showing the completed layout leading up the steps to the Quadrangle and main Northern Stage entrance area.

and this is what the INTO building should look like . . .

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 6th, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

I really like this building. A fantastic bit of noughties infil architecture and a vast improvement on the empty carpark there before. Hopefully the next building down on Percy Street will be of a similar quality.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #8
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
I really like this building. A fantastic bit of noughties infil architecture and a vast improvement on the empty carpark there before. Hopefully the next building down on Percy Street will be of a similar quality.
Yes, maybe we should ask Newcastle University to buy and develope the oxfam site.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #9
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1212

AngeroftheNorth said, in the main thread, that someone pretty high up at Newcastle Uni wanted to get rid of the Claremont Buildings on Barras Bridge. This was going to be refurbished as the northern writer's centre but funding for this unfortunately fell through.

image hosted on flickr
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #10
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

I know from a source at the uni that they would NEVER get rid, they are keen to preserve any historic buildings as so much damage has been done in the past with poor buildings being added to campus etc. The current problem is they dont know what to with these buildings becuase the uni has TOO MUCH space on its hands! Ever since 2007they have been trying to condense the space footprint for cost/environmental reasons so these buildings are standing empty. The only occupant on the whole row is a doctor and dentist (they lease the space from the uni).
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 23

I always thought it would be cool (and wise) to open an architects' practice on campus....maybe I should enquire!!!!!?!
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #12
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1630

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
I know from a source at the uni that they would NEVER get rid, they are keen to preserve any historic buildings as so much damage has been done in the past with poor buildings being added to campus etc. The current problem is they dont know what to with these buildings becuase the uni has TOO MUCH space on its hands! Ever since 2007they have been trying to condense the space footprint for cost/environmental reasons so these buildings are standing empty. The only occupant on the whole row is a doctor and dentist (they lease the space from the uni).
That's my dentist (Kingswalk Dentists) and she has just got new premises in Leazes Park Road, so there will only be the doctor left. Isn't that the 'University Medical Doctor', or something?

I know my dentist has had to put up with YEARS of mess and building works outside. She had the scruffy 'temporary' (for about 30 years!) surface car park in front of the building, then the mess from the Northern Stage re-furb (the back of that overlooks these buildings) then from the University Admin building (Kings Gate) construction. Now, just as the landscaping around that area in front of her building is being done, she's moving!!

Below is a photo of the lanscaping work being done, a few months ago. I think it is nearly finished now.

I think it's great when small areas that have been a MESS for years (detracting from any good impact that neighbouring 'new builds' might have made) suddenly become beautifully landscaped and ADD to the environment. What that achieves (when it is well done, as the University, for example, usually do) is to 'complete' the urban lanscape by joining new and pre-existing older buildings/areas together! Completing the picture, so to speak.

This little area will do just that.

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #13
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
The current problem is they dont know what to with these buildings becuase the uni has TOO MUCH space on its hands! Ever since 2007they have been trying to condense the space footprint for cost/environmental reasons so these buildings are standing empty.
If they have too much space on their hands why are they building £200m worth of new buildings? Doesn't really make sense?
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #14
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
I know from a source at the uni that they would NEVER get rid, they are keen to preserve any historic buildings as so much damage has been done in the past with poor buildings being added to campus etc.

They weren't that keen to preserve the Old Brewery, were they?
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #15
Smash17

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Yes, maybe we should ask Newcastle University to buy and develope the oxfam site.
I noticed the other day that the Oxfam shop has been given a lick of paint. Still looks terrible, though.
Smash17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #16
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

I can't imagine they'd ever try to get rid of the building, plus it's listed, but the guy really did like the idea of knocking the place down. He probably has absolutely no say in that side of things (I certainly hope not anyway) but he was alarmingly keen as I say. Don't worry though, I'm sure it was just idle chat.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #17
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
If they have too much space on their hands why are they building £200m worth of new buildings? Doesn't really make sense?
Because exisiting buildings were a poor use of space, and energy inefficient largely. The biggest offender being Kensington Terrace, which is now replaced with King's Gate (the new one on Barras Bridge). For info, this building is now occupied as of today!

The other buildings going up are the Business School (relocation), INTO Centre (external company) and medical research building (VERY specific type of facility required). But I swear... despite how it looks... they are trying to reduce space requirements
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #18
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 23

What's happenning with the Kensington Terrace buildings? Presumably the University will stay as Landlord on the buildings, keeping up their little property empire?
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #19
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Is the university cutting back on courses? I would've thought with demand at the moment being so high for places they could utilise the extra space with more courses, but I guess it's far more complicated than that in regard to government funding etc.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:01 AM   #20
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

I've been wondering for some time what they will do with Kensington Tce. If the housing market was good they'd make lovely houses like the ones on Jesmond Road by the library, but I doubt anything like that will happen anytime soon since the ones that were done are mostly still empty. Student accommodation maybe?
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, education, newcastle, newcastle students, newcastle university, student accommodation, students, universities, university