daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #1
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 649

Kenton, Gosforth & Fawdon Area (in Newcastle) and Wideopen Area (in North Tyneside) - Developments

Here is the "Kenton, Gosforth and Fawdon, plus Wideopen" Area Developments Thread.

This is the only one of our 'Area Developments' threads that includes areas from within more than one Local Authority, as it crosses the City Boundary from the Kenton, Gosforth and Fawdon areas of Newcastle (the 'Newcastle 3' area of the City) to also cover the nearby Wideopen area of North Tyneside.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; September 1st, 2016 at 11:56 AM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #2
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

Ta. First off, Newcastle City Council has approved plans to improve the junctions at Blue House, Haddricksmill, and the Church Rd/High St/Salters Road crossroads,and to create better conditions for buses and cyclists along the High Street.

The Salters Road changes will involve 'de-staggering' that junction by running the E-W route diagonally across the current car park at the crossroads (a former school site). This could create the opportunity for new public space.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #3
WilfBurnsFan

Second off, Gosforth High Street retail is maybe showing small signs of recovery. Costa Coffee are to take space in the former wheelchair shop in the Gosforth Centre (and may hopefully be followed by others - apart from the butchers, the PO & WHS, the place is virtually dead at present). And the Co-op has taken over the old Woolworth shop: concversion work has recently started. Rumour has it that Adrianos restaurant is to open a delicatessen in the former newsagent near the County.
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1622

MAP OF NEWCASTLE (DIVIDED INTO ELECTORAL WARDS) . . .

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; February 6th, 2016 at 11:54 AM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #5
Tyne

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
Second off, Gosforth High Street retail is maybe showing small signs of recovery. Costa Coffee are to take space in the former wheelchair shop in the Gosforth Centre (and may hopefully be followed by others - apart from the butchers, the PO & WHS, the place is virtually dead at present). And the Co-op has taken over the old Woolworth shop: concversion work has recently started. Rumour has it that Adrianos restaurant is to open a delicatessen in the former newsagent near the County.
Costa is already open, came home for the weekend on Wednesday and was shocked when I popped into Sainbury's!
Tyne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #6
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Yup, they fitted the Costa out pretty quickly, quite impressive. Although does Gosforth really need so many coffee shops?

Either way, Sainsbury really does show that having an anchor store can bring custom to an area. Admittedly having no big "everything under one roof" supermarkets at all would be the easiest way to bring life back to our high streets, but are supermarkets an entirely bad thing? I've never really been sure where I stand on that one.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #7
WilfBurnsFan

The High Street does have Thorpes, which sells just about everything except food. Wonderful shop.
Old November 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #8
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Certainly is. I interviewed the guy that runs/owns it a week or so ago. I love the toy train they have running around the place overhead!
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #9
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
Certainly is. I interviewed the guy that runs/owns it a week or so ago. I love the toy train they have running around the place overhead!
right, you were doing a survey up there not long ago. how did it go?
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #10
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

The interviews etc went okay, we learnt a fair bit about the area. However it was group work and we produced a pretty under par piece unfortunately. I was actually embarrassed to present it. Still, it's onto the individual design piece now, so onwards and upwards...

Last edited by AngerOfTheNorth; November 8th, 2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #11
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1210

this might be of interest:

Sanderson Estate:

‘A contemporary interpretation of the English garden suburb’

+3 architecture have recently been commissioned by a private client to produce a residential masterplan for a 3.2 acre former NHS Hospital site in Newcastle upon Tyne. Located in the heart of a highly desirable residential area, the scheme involves the demolition of the existing hospital and the creation of a comparatively low density, high value residential development. The development contains a range of house typologies with a large ‘manor house’ dominating the site surrounded by flanks of semi-detached ‘lodges’ and contemporary terraced properties that respond to the particular site characteristics. Specific housing typologies have been developed to address the issues of privacy and over-looking which incorporate deep-plan layouts with internal wintergardens and terraces.

johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #12
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
this might be of interest:

Sanderson Estate:

+3 architecture have recently been commissioned by a private client to produce a residential masterplan for a 3.2 acre former NHS Hospital site in Newcastle upon Tyne. Located in the heart of a highly desirable residential area, the scheme involves the demolition of the existing hospital and the creation of a comparatively low density, high value residential development. The development contains a range of house typologies with a large ‘manor house’ dominating the site surrounded by flanks of semi-detached ‘lodges’ and contemporary terraced properties that respond to the particular site characteristics. Specific housing typologies have been developed to address the issues of privacy and over-looking which incorporate deep-plan layouts with internal wintergardens and terraces.

Yes, VERY interesting, I have been wondering what the plans were for the Sanderson Hospital buidings/site, for a long time!

Demolition, a little bit of a shame, there might have been some parts that could be retained (not certain, it's been quite a while since I have been in those old hospital grounds) but at least it is going to be (quote) "comparitively Low Density".
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #13
WilfBurnsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post

The development contains a range of house typologies with a large ‘manor house’ dominating the site surrounded by flanks of semi-detached ‘lodges’ and contemporary terraced properties that respond to the particular site characteristics. Specific housing typologies have been developed to address the issues of privacy and over-looking which incorporate deep-plan layouts with internal wintergardens and terraces.
Bloody hell. A contemporary interpretation by people who seemingly know nothing about the development of the English garden suburb.

The rich man in his castle
The poor man at his gate
He made them high or lowly
And ordered their estate

+3 (crazy name, crazy guys) seem to have taken this verse to heart.
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #14
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Thanks for this Johnny - it was a site I'd noticed and one I had in mind for the next stage of the design work.

I'm a little annoyed that they're going to demolish the existing buildings though, I really like them...

We're actually lectured by Mags, one of the partners at +3, and the students that have worked with him rate him really highly. I'd like to see a bit more detail about this development though as I've got a few reservations.
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #15
WilfBurnsFan

The Salters Road elevation, as far as the illustration seems to indicate, would appear to respect the scale and nature of the road (though like AoTN I'm sad that the hospital buildings are to be swept away). But the interior appears to be fat too low a density, and the concept of a 'manor house' and calling it such is rather ... (searches for polite word)... irritating. Not to mention the private double tennis courts and swimming pool - I trust there will be no vapourish claims made for the 'sustainability' of this project.
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #16
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 23

Planning was granted for this site for a denser development a couple of years ago. There was no manor house concept though, which I'm not completely convinced about!
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #17
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

In these days of fairly stereotyped suburban developments of "town houses with flats" (type of thing) this one appears delightfully QUIRKY, to me.

Nice to see, at this stage, and hopefully it will turn out this way.

"Anyone for tennis at the big house? Thankyou M'lud"
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #18
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Presumably they've realised that there isn't the market for a large number of densely built properties, however they might be able to shift a smaller number of them, plus one incredibly expensive new manorhouse type home. Think about it - it's a brand new house, with all the mod-cons, a swimming pool and tennis court(s) (I doubt these will be communal), probably built to the new owner's tastes, plus it's in the heart of Gosforth instead of the more distant Darras Hall.

Perfect for one of the footballers etc.
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #19
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Presumably they've realised that there isn't the market for a large number of densely built properties, however they might be able to shift a smaller number of them, plus one incredibly expensive new manorhouse type home. Think about it - it's a brand new house, with all the mod-cons, a swimming pool and tennis court(s) (I doubt these will be communal), probably built to the new owner's tastes, plus it's in the heart of Gosforth instead of the more distant Darras Hall.

Yes, I have been 'watching' over the last THREE long years, a large house in Lindisfarne Road in Jesmond, being converted to exactly that type of house. It was already an older and beautiful house (in an area full of big houses) but it has been completely gutted and sunken swimming pools and all sorts of things have been going in there - exactly your millionaire footballers type of pad! It is amazing how LONG it has taken.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that (I wonder if anyone else has noticed it?) though I suppose it would be more appropriate to a Jesmond Developments thread, if there was one (so far we only have 'West End' and 'Gosforth', amongst the Newcastle suburbs threads).
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #20
WilfBurnsFan

Quote:

But would they want the neighbouring oiks standing on their dustbins and peering over the fence as they lounge around the pool? That's why they go to Darras Hall - plenty of space, not overlooked, 'people like us' round about.

Tags
blakelaw, brunton park, development, developments, developments - newc forum, fawdon, gosforth, kenton, kingston park, melton park, newcastle, north newcastle