daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #1
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

Jesmond, Sandyford and Shieldfield Area - Developments

For the news, rumours and discussion that doesn't yet merit its own thread.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #2
WilfBurnsFan

e.g.

1. Housing redevelopments and conversions.

2. What is Freddie S planning to do with Jesmond Towers once Tracey Beaker has finished

3. What will become of the Quaker Meeting House should they sell up and move to Gosforth
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
e.g.

1. Housing redevelopments and conversions.

2. What is Freddie S planning to do with Jesmond Towers once Tracey Beaker has finished

3. What will become of the Quaker Meeting House should they sell up and move to Gosforth
Is the Quaker Meeting House thinking of relocating? I hadn't heard that!

After managing to survive (just) the ravages of the building of the Central Motorway East, it will be something of a shame.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; November 9th, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #4
WilfBurnsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Is the Quaker Meeting House thinking of relocating? I hadn't heard that!

After managing to survive (just) the ravages of the building of the Central Motorway East, it will be something of a shame.
I don't think it's definite, but it's definitely on the cards: to the (?) Masonic Hall in Gosforth. If so, presumably the old QMH would be demolished by the purchaser for new-build offices on the site: I can't imagine the old house, together with extension with two large rooms, would be easily convertible; and it no longer forms part of a coherent townscape to be spoiled. Shame though, if it happens.
Old November 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
I don't think it's definite, but it's definitely on the cards: to the (?) Masonic Hall in Gosforth. If so, presumably the old QMH would be demolished by the purchaser for new-build offices on the site: I can't imagine the old house, together with extension with two large rooms, would be easily convertible; and it no longer forms part of a coherent townscape to be spoiled. Shame though, if it happens.
How (in PHOTOS) the Quaker Meeting House 'only just' survived the building of the Central Motorway East, in 1972 to 1975, as shown in two issues of DIVERSION . . .

From Issue No. 17 (March 1974) of DIVERSION. The Quaker Meeting House is 'near top right' of this photo.

From Issue No. 18 (June 1974) of DIVERSION. The Quaker Meeting House is 'bottom centre' of this photo.

My point is, they went to a lot of effort to save it then, would be a pity for it to be lost now. It is not a 'world class' building, but it has been a part of the Newcastle streetscape for as long as I can remember. It was a great shame how "hemmed in" it became when the CME was built.
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #6
WilfBurnsFan

What was 'Diversion', NH? That looks an interesting publication.
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #7
tcollins

Likes (Received): 2

Looks like the kind of magazine that might appear as the guest publication in Have I Got News For You.
tcollins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #8
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcollins View Post
Looks like the kind of magazine that might appear as the guest publication in Have I Got News For You.
I like that idea . . . and tonights guest publication IS . . "Diversion, a magazine for all frustrated SKYSCRAPER BUILDERS everywhere . . particularly in Newcastle!!"
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #9
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
What was 'Diversion', NH? That looks an interesting publication.
DIVERSION, is something that I am very pleased that I have got a full and complete set of. It was a periodically issued news-sheet issued by the City Council throughout the entire period of construction of the Central Motorway East, over the period 1972 to 1975, when the CME opened.

It contains some quite unique plans and photos of the progress of this huge project (step by step) which has had a 'marked' impact on our City Centre and its immediate suburbs, ever since.

As I say, I am pleased that I managed to acquire and retain all of these, and (if anyone could ever want such a thing) as they are only 'two-sided' or at most 'four-sided' newsheets, I would be happy to scan them in and publish them on here, over a period of time.

People today, would then be able to follow the CME construction, step-by-step, just as people in the 1970s did! If enough people (or indeed 'anyone') thinks that would be of interest, and a good idea, just let me know.

Old November 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #10
steve_ncl

Likes (Received): 0

I would be really interested to see some of those... I love looking through old planning documents like that!
steve_ncl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #11
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

OK . . not actually a Jesmond DEVELOPMENT (as this thread is called) but I really quite like this photo-montage of my favourite Newcastle Suburb!

It is from this months (03/10) issue of "Accent" Magazine, which contains a 24 page (YES '24' pages) article about Jesmond, of which the montage is the first page . . .

Old March 17th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #12
WilfBurnsFan

Apparently the sale of the Friends Meeting House is going to take place.
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #13
ds7

There is an application for a 'blue chip' food retailer which has been approved by the council on Osborne Rd.

I think it will be an M&S Food, it's situated where the petrol station used to be near the junction with Acorn Road.

Might offer a less stressful alternative than Tesco.
ds7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #14
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Yup, I think we have the designs on here somewhere. Is this an application for a licence or planning permission? Either way, it's another one fo Freddie Shepherd's sites to come to fruition...

Welcome to the board by the way DS7!
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #15
ds7

Thanks! I've been reading for a while now but not had much to add.

I believe its got planning permission, not sure when work is going to start though.
ds7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds7 View Post
Thanks! I've been reading for a while now but not had much to add.

I believe its got planning permission, not sure when work is going to start though.

The 'Project Thread' for the M&S Simply Food development, is here . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=983222
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #17
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

to confuse things, (or clarify them?), the adjacent property + 1 was recently granted a change of use. That was the florists "fleurtatious", on the southern corner of Acorn Road and Osborne Road. It closed on Sunday (14th March, Mothers' Day) and is already being fitted out in preparation to re-open as a cafe.

There now seems to be rather a lot of cafes on and adjacent to Acorn Road - the most recent being the rather fine Cafe 1901 in the hall of St Georges methodist church (nest door to Jesmond library)
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #18
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
to confuse things, (or clarify them?), the adjacent property + 1 was recently granted a change of use. That was the florists "fleurtatious", on the southern corner of Acorn Road and Osborne Road. It closed on Sunday (14th March, Mothers' Day) and is already being fitted out in preparation to re-open as a cafe.

There now seems to be rather a lot of cafes on and adjacent to Acorn Road - the most recent being the rather fine Cafe 1901 in the hall of St Georges methodist church (nest door to Jesmond library)
yeah it is opening as "central bean" who also have an outlet in time central on gallowgate and another in the sanderson arcade in morpeth.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #19
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

Historical Tour

The Jesmond Walking Tour, takes place on the 27th March between 11.00 a.m. and 12.30 p.m. as part of the Jesmond Community Festival

The tour will be led by City Guides and will give an historical perspective of the locality, including St. Mary's Chapel, Well and Jesmond Dene.

Anyone who is interested in participating should meet outside St. George's Church Hall.
Tickets are free and can be obtained from the Jesmond Library (the Library is closed on Wednesday afternoons).
[Forgive me if this post isn't appropriate for a "Developments" thread. But I do hope the historical element is appreciated!]
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #20
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
The Jesmond Walking Tour, takes place on the 27th March between 11.00 a.m. and 12.30 p.m. as part of the Jesmond Community Festival

The tour will be led by City Guides and will give an historical perspective of the locality, including St. Mary's Chapel, Well and Jesmond Dene.

Anyone who is interested in participating should meet outside St. George's Church Hall.
Tickets are free and can be obtained from the Jesmond Library (the Library is closed on Wednesday afternoons).
Lived in Jesmond for about 12 years (in total) and still enjoy "walking around" the place!!

I think it was part of an earlier "Jes-Fest" (or something) but I went on a Jesmond Dene guided tour a few years back. Really interesting.

I might see if I (we!) can make it this Saturday!

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, high west jesmond, jesmond, jesmond dene, newcastle, north newcastle, osborne road, sandyford, shieldfield, west jesmond