daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #41
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

I saw the Jesmond Dene Visitor Centre when I was running past last weekend - it looks really, really good. I think it's been designed by Mosedale Gillett, who have done several really good developments in the city. Hopefully they'll get more work off the back of this.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #42
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1622

TV show hope for old La Sagesse School
July 12th 2010, by Amy Hunt, Evening Chronicle

MORE hit TV shows could be shot on Tyneside, following the return of a popular children's series.

The new series of Tracey Beaker Returns will be filmed at the former La Sagesse School in Jesmond, Newcastle, if council chiefs give the go-ahead next week.

Former Toon chairman Freddy Shepherd, who owns the former school, which closed in 2008, says he would welcome other filmmakers who wanted to use the historic site as a location.

Scores of children descended on the Jesmond Towers Estate, on Bemersyde Drive, last summer to shoot scenes for the hit children’s TV show.

Filming was allowed to take place without permission, because it was a one-off.

But now Mr Shepherd’s firm, Shepherd Offshore, has applied for a three-year licence so that filming can take place there.

It would mean the BBC could shoot the 13-part series over 13 weeks this summer.

Freddy’s brother, Bruce Shepherd, said: “This is a fantastic historic building which we’re keen to show off to its full potential.

“We have already showcased it in the last series of Tracey Beaker and look forward to seeing it on screen again.

“Given that permission would last for three years, we would be pleased to hear from anyone else who wanted to use the site for filming.”

FULL ARTICLE HERE - http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/ne...-908168541.jpg

( NB - Tracy Beaker originally discussed last December, on the "Tyneside in the Media Thread" HERE - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=115 )

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #43
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 649

When I went to Newcastle on Tuesday I noticed that the Black bridge at Jesmond had scaffolding around it, I wondered what this was for, but today as I went passed it today I relised they have been painting it.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #44
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
. . . the Black bridge at Jesmond had scaffolding around it . . .
I guess that's Armstrong Bridge, over the Ouseburn, you're referring to.
Yes, its being progressively repainted with multilayer products.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #45
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

See the Historic thread, here - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1094 for information and photos of Armstrong Bridge.
Old September 10th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #46
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

See the Osborne Road Garage | Project Thread, here . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...9&postcount=26

. . . for the latest progress (as at 9th Sept 2010) on this important Jesmond Development.
Old September 11th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #47
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

I see the former offie on the corner of St George's Terrace and Coniston Avenue has become an Oxfam bookshop. Good, large stock - at least as many books as the Hood Street branch, and rather better quality (physical and intellectual) - but <ahem> Jesmond prices.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #48
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post

What will become of the Quaker Meeting House should they sell up and move to Gosforth

Is the Quaker Meeting House thinking of relocating? I hadn't heard that!

After managing to survive (just) the ravages of the building of the Central Motorway East, it will be something of a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
How (in PHOTOS) the Quaker Meeting House 'only just' survived the building of the Central Motorway East, in 1972 to 1975, as shown in two issues of DIVERSION . . .

From Issue No. 17 (March 1974) of DIVERSION. The Quaker Meeting House is 'near top right' of this photo.

From Issue No. 18 (June 1974) of DIVERSION. The Quaker Meeting House is 'bottom centre' of this photo.

My point is, they went to a lot of effort to save it then, would be a pity for it to be lost now. It is not a 'world class' building, but it has been a part of the Newcastle streetscape for as long as I can remember. It was a great shame how "hemmed in" it became when the CME was built.

Looks like it is now happening :

Evening Chronicle Extra, 5th January 2011 . .

So, what is going to happen to the old place, I wonder?

Old January 7th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #49
OzGeordie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

I noticed while driving down Osborne Road last weekend that the old petrol garage just down from Jules and the Central Bean Coffee house has been totally demolished and flattened.

Does anyone know what is going to happen here?

I also noticed the area went from Osborne Road to the road behind. So quite a large block of land in a quite expensive area.
OzGeordie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #50
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzGeordie View Post
I noticed while driving down Osborne Road last weekend that the old petrol garage just down from Jules and the Central Bean Coffee house has been totally demolished and flattened.

Does anyone know what is going to happen here?

I also noticed the area went from Osborne Road to the road behind. So quite a large block of land in a quite expensive area.

Yes OzGeordie, this is quite an interesting development. It was covered here on this 'Jesmond Developments Thread' for a while, but when it became a definite project, we set up it's own "Project Thread" for it.

You can follow the 'story so far' of this project on that thread, HERE . . .

Osborne Road Garage / Waitrose | Newcastle | 3 Fl | Demolition
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=983222

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 7th, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #51
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
You can follow the 'story so far' of this project on that thread, HERE . . .
I guess that should be THIS link:-
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=983222

LATER EDIT - Correct DX, Thanks!! (incorrect link on original post now amended) . . . NH

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 7th, 2011 at 03:45 PM.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #52
WilfBurnsFan

Re the Meeting House on Archbold Terrace, I understand that one option is that a hotel might be built on the site.
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #53
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

The original section of the building is quite nice, it'd be a shame... Out of interest, are we still nowhere near the saturation point for hotels yet? I don't mind them, I'm just amazed at how many we seem to have in the city and in the pipeline.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM   #54
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Plaque will commemorate achievements of Muriel Robb
by Tony Henderson, The Journal, February 1st 2011

THE memory of a Tyneside Wimbledon tennis champion who died tragically young is to be revived.

Muriel Robb, who was a member of Jesmond Lawn Tennis Club in Newcastle, played in the Wimbledon singles event four times and was never less than a quarter finalist.

In 1902 she won the women’s singles championship, and she also took the Irish, Welsh and Scottish national singles titles. No man or woman had achieved this feat before her and none have done so since.

In the days before tie breaks, her singles win was the longest women’s final in history in terms of the number of games. She also triumphed in the mixed doubles and three times in the women’s doubles.

But Muriel died at her home in Osborne Road in Jesmond at the age of only 28.

Now Newcastle City Council is to put up a commemorative plaque to Muriel either on her birthday of May 13 or to coincide with this year’s Wimbledon.

The site for the plaque would be either the gates of the Jesmond tennis club in Osborne Road or Muriel’s birthplace at Haldane Terrace in Jesmond, which still stands

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1Ch8Yzg00

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; April 18th, 2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:41 PM   #55
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Jesmond empty office space gets tenants
by Peter McCusker, The Journal, February 2nd 2011

Clayton House in Jesmond, Newcastle (a former Victorian private house) has been let after it was restored by property company Jomast.

Clayton House, an 11,500 sq ft office building set in its own grounds in the centre of upmarket Newcastle suburb Jesmond.

The building, which had stood empty for over 10 years, was renovated and extended to provide a headquarters building.

The Sowerby Centre for Health Informatics at Newcastle (SCHIN), a not-for-profit company that delivers NHS services, was looking for a bigger office after a year of growth.

Newcastle property agents storeys:ssp secured a 10-year lease at a headline rent of £17.50 per sq ft.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerci...1140-28095192/
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM   #56
WilfBurnsFan

Was that Greggs HQ?
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:22 PM   #57
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3998

Quote:
Was that Greggs HQ?
Greggs are at FERNWOOD HOUSE in Clayton Road.

The current CLAYTON HOUSE was called DENEHOLME when built some time between 1858 and 1898.

Back in 2002 there was an application to demolish the Villa and build flats, thankfully that application was rejected!

Nice shot of the back of the building in the City Libraries Collection @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcast...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:15 PM   #58
WilfBurnsFan

Cheers, Steve

I remember reading that when Greggs moved to (as I now know) Fernwood House, the (Chairman? MD?) Ian Gregg mentioned that he had been born there as it had been used as a nursing home for some time. I'm not sure that George Orwell's wife didn't die there - she's certainly buried just over the back lane, n Saint Andrew's Cemetery, Tankerville Terrace, West Jesmond, Newcastle.

Last edited by Steve Ellwood; January 25th, 2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Incorrect cemetery shown - not All Saints
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:12 PM   #59
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3998

Quote:
Cheers, Steve

I remember reading that when Greggs moved to (as I now know) Fernwood House, the (Chairman? MD?) Ian Gregg mentioned that he had been born there as it had been used as a nursing home for some time. I'm not sure that George Orwell's wife didn't die there - she's certainly buried just over the back lane, n All Saints Cemetery.
This leads to another question (doesn't it always) but why was Eileen Maud O'Shaughnessy buried in Saint Andrew's Cemetery, Tankerville Terrace, West Jesmond, Newcastle - and before anyone makes the comment, not because she was dead! - what I mean is she was born and brought up in South Shields and would have thought that perhaps she would have been buried there?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Last edited by Steve Ellwood; January 25th, 2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Wrong cemetery -now amended to the correct one.
Steve Ellwood está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #60
WilfBurnsFan

Another hotel scheme for Archbold Terrace (hope I'm not duplicating anything from the hotels thread):

http://www.plus3.co.uk/mobile/

(You have to scroll down a bit)

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, high west jesmond, jesmond, jesmond dene, newcastle, north newcastle, osborne road, sandyford, shieldfield, west jesmond