SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Waldorf-Astoria Coming to Montreal

45K views 185 replies 38 participants last post by  Taller, Better 
#1 ·
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

The Waldorf Astoria Collection, one of the luxury brands of Hilton Hotels Corporation, and Monit Investments are pleased to announce the signing of a development agreement for The Waldorf Astoria Hotel & Residences Montreal. The $200 million investment, which will include 250-hotel rooms and 76 Waldorf Astoria Residences, will be the brand's first property in Canada. Planning is now underway for a summer 2011 completion and opening.

"We are excited to extend the legendary cachet of the Waldorf Astoria to Montreal," said Ross Klein, global head of luxury & lifestyle brands, Hilton Hotels Corporation. "With this new announcement, The Waldorf Astoria Collection continues to expand worldwide, delivering our signature elements, such as intuitive service, remarkable dining and customized spa experiences. Guests will have a bevy of options to discover local culture and engage in memorable, unique experiences that will last a lifetime."

In addition to the hotel's 250 rooms and 76 residences, the 32-story Waldorf Astoria Montreal will feature 15,000 square feet of ballroom and meeting space, signature restaurants, bars, and a luxury spa and fitness center. The Waldorf Astoria Montreal is steps away from the city's best restaurants, shopping, museums, history and more.

"Montreal is a culturally rich city that is on the forefront of design, art, entertainment, culinary achievements, and other pillars that define a great city, making Montreal an ideal fit for The Waldorf Astoria Collection," said Alex Kotler, chairman of Monit Investments.

Barry Kotler, president of Monit Investments, added, "Waldorf Astoria sets the standard worldwide for elegance, and we are delighted to be an integral part of the luxury brand's growth and to bring The Waldorf Astoria's renowned service to Montreal."

The Waldorf Astoria Montreal will be located at 1500 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, Quebec, H3G-1H6.

About Monit

Based in Montreal and founded over 55 years ago, the Monit organization is a highly diversified company with expertise in all facets of real estate. This encompasses development, investment, construction and operation of the company's commercial, industrial, and retail properties in Quebec and in various states in the United States, as well as developing master land projects in Quebec. For more information, please visit: www.monit.com.

About the Waldorf Astoria Collection(R)

The Waldorf Astoria Collection is a world-class group of hotels in spectacular locations. Inspired by New York's legendary landmark, each hotel has its own unique style and sense of place. From luxury spas, legendary meetings, championship golf to unforgettable events, every experience is flawlessly executed with graciousness. Current properties include: Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, La Quinta Resort & Club, Rome Cavalieri (September, 2008), Qasr Al Sharq and The Waldorf=Astoria(R). The Waldorf Astoria Collection is growing rapidly with future openings planned: Dakota Mountain Lodge (2009), The Roosevelt (2009), Waldorf Astoria Orlando (2009), The Palace Jerusalem (2010), Waldorf Astoria Sarasota (2010) and the proposed Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills (2011). For more information, please visit: www.waldorfastoriacollection.com

YABADABADOOOOOOO!!!!

This is excellent news. THe First Waldorf to open in Canada. After the Ritz Carlton(at teh beginning of the century) and the W hotel(in 2004-2005), we will have the only Waldorf Astoria in the country!

Here's a rendering of the proposed design. I know that this design proposal is at least 5 or 6 years old, but I find it would be a perfect fit for this area, the Golden Square Mile, not to mention it's perfect for a Waldorf Astoria! I love its gothic/chicago school 1915 style that it has! Let's hope they won't change it too much!

See less See more
#46 · (Edited)
As much as trainrover's posts are a bit difficult to decifer at times, he has a deep love for our city. I (think) I know what he's saying and I tend to agree with him.. most of the time.

Keep up the good work brother! Maybe tone down the somewhat flowery prose a bit so that we can be clear on what you're saying. (there are many outsiders present!)

#49 · (Edited)
Keep up the good work brother! Maybe tone down the somewhat flowery prose a bit so that we can be clear on what you're saying. (there are many outsiders present!)
I know, huh? finally somebody else is admitting my 'prose' to be much.....thank you, bro -- cheers atcha.....you see, the thing is I initially post a mild splattering of words; clones start jumpin' o'er what I'll have just briefly shared; then sometimes my subsequent, throttled bluntness is wholly censored insofar as to be outright lifted from the given thread.....spineless (N)-Am forummers even go so far as to call me 'ho crak addict yadayadayada.....somet'in 'bout dialogue around here is too bitter to swallow; just like that ugly, crusty WAHnabbe prospect.....

These visionless foreign dorks writing what this city ''needs'', what's ''responsible'' for local châteauesqueness.....shit, who the **** needs linguistics as her/his rationale for being a séparatiste?

Take yer yankeedom 'n' shuv it, y'all!

Je vous invite a passer quelques commentaires dans le fil du développement de Montréal, question que des gens de partout dans le monde soient intéressés par ce qui se passe ici.:)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=321788&page=8
Je ne te comprends pas, Gilbert -- quoi de neuf le de-dans?

Alors, dis-moi, Gilbert : As-tu envie de témoigner une poursuite possédée par Montréal à devenir quelque
Las-Vegas-II? (Vegas : quelle blague!)

#47 ·
There's better way to love for your City by rally people behind you and saying constructive things , criticizing to the extreme will lead to an endless debate and nothing will get done , The Aldorf_Astoria is an outsider Investment ( if you 'd like to think there are many outsiders present ) and then give them a cold feet ,I wonder if they would feel welcome to have anything to do with your City in the long run

#48 · (Edited)
Maybe tone down the somewhat flowery prose a bit so that we can be clear on what you're saying. (there are many outsiders present!)
That is some excellent advise!:yes::eek:kay:;)

As much as trainrover's posts are a bit difficult to decifer at times, ... I (think) I know what he's saying.
Good to know i'm not the only one who doesn'T understand half of what he says!;)

#50 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfanman

I know, huh? finally somebody else is admitting my 'prose' to be much.....thank you, bro -- cheers atcha.....you see, the thing is I initially post a mild splattering of words; clones start jumpin' o'er what I'll have just briefly shared; then sometimes my subsequent, throttled bluntness is wholly censored insofar as to be outright lifted from the given thread.....spineless (N)-Am forummers even go so far as to call me 'ho crak addict yadayadayada.....somet'in 'bout dialogue around here is too bitter to swallow; just like that ugly, crusty WAHnabbe prospect.....

These visionless foreign dorks writing what this city ''needs'', what's ''responsible'' for local châteauesqueness.....shit, who the **** needs linguistics as her/his rationale for being a séparatiste?

Take yer yankeedom 'n' shuv it, y'all!
Yo dude,

As much as I enjoy reading your colourful comments...what are you saying???

#55 · (Edited)
It is ,but that 's the Impression I have been getting every time I read your comments from every subject related to Montreal developement , not to mention that most of the time I happen to watch anything from the CBC or the CTV and the Gazet they seem to have the same tune with you , and you know what ? I just wanna pack and leave this City at once , but then I though It can't be true , that's just the way they depic this City ... I don't know why (?) my life is just fine here I am not going to be influenced by all that rubbish

#61 ·
Seemless Style maybe the right word for this proposed Waldorf Astoria building on sherbrook street because of the old buildings around it , just take a look at the render even the short building there seems to be harmoniously attached with the going to be one there

#62 ·
^^ What's wrong with supplanting the WAH with a tower actually possessing exceptional prominence; it'd make for a much finer weave, no?

Something's telling me that it's erection's more for W'mounters to tackily show off to their out-of-town guests they entertain on their slope-hugging terrasses.

skyboi, the WAH smelled like some dump that also suffered a succession of floods back in the mid-90s...

#63 ·
I wouldn't mind whatever it maybe going to be erecting there though as long as it's not an eyes sore It will be fine with me , plus there are quite a numbers of vacant land in downtown that should be used for some purposes instead of leaving them short like that

#69 ·
Too bad people still have to wait for sometimes to elaborate on this project again ,( good or bad ) I 've just taken a look on the render again and...what on earth were they thinking to allow the Concrete highrise already built there on sherbrook street next to it ? wondering if there was any revulsion then ? and Hey Trainrover I just saw your note there with my name in it It 's been awhile I don't check on this project , no love lost or found man , I think I understand you now ...

#70 ·
Skyboi, I like things to be extraordinary, and all I see being put up is the same-old.....just because the WAH would be copied doesn't make it altogether extraordinary enough for me.....the region oughtta bank on its originality instead of how to polish the art of following others, because originality would be the only worthwhile way of growing.

#73 ·
I work for Monit Investements... and as far as I know(according to the company's VP of operations) the project is a go. There some things to iron out.... but that is normal for a project like this.

There was another project slated for the same location a few years ago..but it never happened due to permits from City of Montreal and concerning condominiums with front entrances on Sherbrooke street.

All the stones from the old greystone buildings that caught fire a few years ago have been saved and are in storage in the adjacent buildings...

#74 ·
All the stones from the old greystone buildings that caught fire a few years ago have been saved and are in storage in the adjacent buildings...
I find that tidbit of information VERY interesting!!! Hopefully they use them for the construction of W-A.

Thanks for the info!!

#77 ·
FYI - likely delayed.

The economic situation could lead one of the most famous names in the industry, the Waldorf=Astoria, to push back its scheduled 2011 opening of a proposed 32-storey hotel with twin towers that will feature 250 guest rooms and 76 residences at Sherbrooke St. near Guy.

Monit Investments and Hilton Hotels Corp., of which Waldorf=Astoria is one of its luxury brands, continue to work on establishing the Waldorf=Astoria Hotel & Residence Montreal.

"The ($200-million) project is very much alive and we're confident going forward," said Jonathan Goldbloom, spokesman for Monit, the local real estate company that will develop and build the hotel.

"We're moving ahead and will be ready to go when the economy turns," he said of the ambitious project. "(The economy) is the pivotal factor (for) when we get the shovel in the ground."

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Hotel+boom+hits+skids/1153240/story.html

#78 ·
I just checked out their website, and the Waldorf Astoria montreal has been pushed back to 2014.

I think it's safe to say this project will never see the light of day! When a company pushes a project back by 5 years, it's cause they have pretty much given up on it!

#81 ·
Sorry to hear about this one. At least we know that this company is interested in the Canadian market, and Montreal specifically. If something does come of this, I'd hope for a slightly different design than what was proposed. It wasn't bad, but something that pays homage to those great Canadian Chateau Style hotels like the Chateau Frontenac would be amazing.

Montreal really stands out as being the only major city in Canada without one. I believe there used to be one at Windsor Station, but most of it was destroyed in a fire. This might be Montreal's best opportunity to get something like that back again.

#80 ·
No doubt the current financial crisis around the world is behind this "delay". What's even more unfortunate is that the situation in Montreal is nowhere near as bad as it is in the US or in other parts of Canada. We are weathering this storm fairly well!

Hopefully we will see this tower in the next 5 years, although i'm not gonna put too much hope into it, as iut will most likely never see the light of day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.