SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Waldorf-Astoria Coming to Montreal

45K views 185 replies 38 participants last post by  Taller, Better 
#1 ·
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

The Waldorf Astoria Collection, one of the luxury brands of Hilton Hotels Corporation, and Monit Investments are pleased to announce the signing of a development agreement for The Waldorf Astoria Hotel & Residences Montreal. The $200 million investment, which will include 250-hotel rooms and 76 Waldorf Astoria Residences, will be the brand's first property in Canada. Planning is now underway for a summer 2011 completion and opening.

"We are excited to extend the legendary cachet of the Waldorf Astoria to Montreal," said Ross Klein, global head of luxury & lifestyle brands, Hilton Hotels Corporation. "With this new announcement, The Waldorf Astoria Collection continues to expand worldwide, delivering our signature elements, such as intuitive service, remarkable dining and customized spa experiences. Guests will have a bevy of options to discover local culture and engage in memorable, unique experiences that will last a lifetime."

In addition to the hotel's 250 rooms and 76 residences, the 32-story Waldorf Astoria Montreal will feature 15,000 square feet of ballroom and meeting space, signature restaurants, bars, and a luxury spa and fitness center. The Waldorf Astoria Montreal is steps away from the city's best restaurants, shopping, museums, history and more.

"Montreal is a culturally rich city that is on the forefront of design, art, entertainment, culinary achievements, and other pillars that define a great city, making Montreal an ideal fit for The Waldorf Astoria Collection," said Alex Kotler, chairman of Monit Investments.

Barry Kotler, president of Monit Investments, added, "Waldorf Astoria sets the standard worldwide for elegance, and we are delighted to be an integral part of the luxury brand's growth and to bring The Waldorf Astoria's renowned service to Montreal."

The Waldorf Astoria Montreal will be located at 1500 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, Quebec, H3G-1H6.

About Monit

Based in Montreal and founded over 55 years ago, the Monit organization is a highly diversified company with expertise in all facets of real estate. This encompasses development, investment, construction and operation of the company's commercial, industrial, and retail properties in Quebec and in various states in the United States, as well as developing master land projects in Quebec. For more information, please visit: www.monit.com.

About the Waldorf Astoria Collection(R)

The Waldorf Astoria Collection is a world-class group of hotels in spectacular locations. Inspired by New York's legendary landmark, each hotel has its own unique style and sense of place. From luxury spas, legendary meetings, championship golf to unforgettable events, every experience is flawlessly executed with graciousness. Current properties include: Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, La Quinta Resort & Club, Rome Cavalieri (September, 2008), Qasr Al Sharq and The Waldorf=Astoria(R). The Waldorf Astoria Collection is growing rapidly with future openings planned: Dakota Mountain Lodge (2009), The Roosevelt (2009), Waldorf Astoria Orlando (2009), The Palace Jerusalem (2010), Waldorf Astoria Sarasota (2010) and the proposed Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills (2011). For more information, please visit: www.waldorfastoriacollection.com

YABADABADOOOOOOO!!!!

This is excellent news. THe First Waldorf to open in Canada. After the Ritz Carlton(at teh beginning of the century) and the W hotel(in 2004-2005), we will have the only Waldorf Astoria in the country!

Here's a rendering of the proposed design. I know that this design proposal is at least 5 or 6 years old, but I find it would be a perfect fit for this area, the Golden Square Mile, not to mention it's perfect for a Waldorf Astoria! I love its gothic/chicago school 1915 style that it has! Let's hope they won't change it too much!

See less See more
#114 ·
^^

I guess that set in that spot so close to that ugly brutalist tower, the older design would look good. The heavy banded spandrels of the new design kinda carry that ugly tower's dimensions over instead of breaking that pattern so I see why you like the original scheme Rumors. :)

If that rendering is true, the glass would seem to be mostly a slate color with a bronze tint running up the center. I wonder if a highly reflective gold or bronze glazing would escape the ire of NIMBYs who always cite 'glare' when they oppose anything new?

#140 ·
I'm glad they changed their minds and want to build now a more modern looking building (glass and steel), unfortunately when trying to keep the "old" style with new constructions in MTL they fail really bad, one example this condo building on sherbrooke, that looks like a model for Universal Studios or a replica from Las Vegas.

Photo taken from Rumours

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.