search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2017, 09:52 PM   #5181
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 36692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurio View Post
We need replacements for both Lewis' and BHS, in my opinion.

That quirky bric-a-brac department store that I forget the name of isn't it.

There also aren't nearly enough places to buy fresh fruit and vegetables, and it would also be nice if buying meats was a better experience.

I also wish House of Fraser would invest in their Birkenhead store, modernise it and expand it. So much adjoining land that is just wasted, and the store as is is just too small to hold any interest.
Mattas have enlarged their vegetable range, I noted today.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2017, 10:01 PM   #5182
mmcd

Likes (Received): 840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
.....I don't understand how locals don't protest for its demolition.
We do, we really do.
mmcd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 11:18 AM   #5183
Elliot_

Likes (Received): 39

I've got to admit I do like going to Manchester but I do love going on trips out to liverpool one noun and again I just think its easier for getting around and I do love the modern architecture and openess it provides and it has quite a range of stores for myself, and there is always church st for the big names shops.
Elliot_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 11:52 AM   #5184
The sand man

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcd View Post
We do, we really do.
You live in london according to the skyscrapers on the mersey piece.
The sand man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 12:16 PM   #5185
PeterStoba

Likes (Received): 4854

Quote:
Originally Posted by The sand man View Post
Get back to the echo comments section.

Elliot_ liked this post
PeterStoba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 01:03 PM   #5186
mmcd

Quote:
And your point is?

You know it never ceases to amaze me just how volatile some people are when you bother to have ideas for Liverpool. The amount of time I've spent unpaid to create visuals that aim to stimulate ideas and action on how to IMPROVE the city's outlook and chance to be everything it can be has been substantial.

To therefore be confronted on here and other platforms by a growing number of quite frankly strange individuals who go out of their way to attack you is disappointing. The quips about the fact I live in London (despite only being here for 4 years) I think demonstrate an insular attitude from some rather than acknowledging that unlike many other people who for their career have to leave the city I actually bother to still care for Liverpool and it's future and invest time on demonstrating that. Being in London allows me to see how a successful world city works and naturally it's incredibly useful when seeing where and how Liverpool can move forward for the better.

But, as 'scarecrow' demonstrated on Facebook several days ago there are also those who largely just attack on a personal level, attempt to antagonise and drag you down to offensive arguments and just simply try to undermine everything you to try to do for reasons I really don't won't to spend much time trying to fathom.

It will always fascinate me why there are those eager to snipe at people wanting to make Liverpool truly great again, thankfully they're far outnumbered by those who are supportive of forward thinking ideas whether they be from a scouser who lives in east London or one who lives in the city itself.

Elliot_, roymcneil, aeolian, VDB liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2017, 05:37 PM   #5187
The sand man

Quote:
And your point is?

You know it never ceases to amaze me just how volatile some people are when you bother to have ideas for Liverpool. The amount of time I've spent unpaid to create visuals that aim to stimulate ideas and action on how to IMPROVE the city's outlook and chance to be everything it can be has been substantial.

To therefore be confronted on here and other platforms by a growing number of quite frankly strange individuals who go out of their way to attack you is disappointing. The quips about the fact I live in London (despite only being here for 4 years) I think demonstrate an insular attitude from some rather than acknowledging that unlike many other people who for their career have to leave the city I actually bother to still care for Liverpool and it's future and invest time on demonstrating that. Being in London allows me to see how a successful world city works and naturally it's incredibly useful when seeing where and how Liverpool can move forward for the better.

But, as 'scarecrow' demonstrated on Facebook several days ago there are also those who largely just attack on a personal level, attempt to antagonise and drag you down to offensive arguments and just simply try to undermine everything you to try to do for reasons I really don't won't to spend much time trying to fathom.

It will always fascinate me why there are those eager to snipe at people wanting to make Liverpool truly great again, thankfully they're far outnumbered by those who are supportive of forward thinking ideas whether they be from a scouser who lives in east London or one who lives in the city itself.
Well im not here to antagonise you. I do think your idea is a bit of a science fiction fantasy because there will never be skyscrapers on a river and most wirrall people do not want to be part of liverpool. It is not that there is anything wrong with liverpool but it is the city on the other side who at best can be described as thinking everywhere else in the region is a servant to them and use names like the dark side and wools but is good enough if it means extending liverpool. And just because some wont agree does not mean they are antagonising. I think that liverpool needs an enemy and will use any disagreement to invent one. I have also seen things as stupid as calling north wales part of the city region. Wales is a different country and liverpool would have to apply to be part of wales. Wales could never be part of liverpool. As for scarecrow it looks like he should check himself before judging others on making personal comments.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 05:51 PM   #5188
mmcd

Quote:
Well im not here to antagonise you. I do think your idea is a bit of a science fiction fantasy because there will never be skyscrapers on a river and most wirrall people do not want to be part of liverpool. It is not that there is anything wrong with liverpool but it is the city on the other side who at best can be described as thinking everywhere else in the region is a servant to them and use names like the dark side and wools but is good enough if it means extending liverpool. And just because some wont agree does not mean they are antagonising. I think that liverpool needs an enemy and will use any disagreement to invent one. I have also seen things as stupid as calling north wales part of the city region. Wales is a different country and liverpool would have to apply to be part of wales. Wales could never be part of liverpool. As for scarecrow it looks like he should check himself before judging others on making personal comments.
I begin this with a sigh but hey, I'll respond anyway.

Please don't try to dismiss my comments as some general whinge about criticism as my post clearly points out that there are plenty more people supportive of ideas and where they're not they're at least constructive unlike the few my post also refers to who just want to drag down anything they're unwilling to understand.

The ideas are not 'science fiction' and that kind of comment again comes from that "we can't do that" Liverpool mentality that some have. There is nothing in my work that is unachievable and the key purpose of the work is to stimulate bigger ideas and to view Liverpool as a world city rather than some peripheral backwater...we have plenty of 'think tanks' down the road doing that already, but I've made that point clear on many occasions.

I think it is wrong of you to suggest most of Wirral doesn't want to be part of Liverpool and I think this myth also doesn't help matters, nor is it true that most people see Wirral as an 'enemy' no more than Manchester views Salford as it's 'enemy'

It is ridiculous to keep trying to suggest that Liverpool and its city region boroughs are not one region with intertwined destinies given the city region next door demonstrates clearly how cooperation works.

My ideas have always been about empowering both sides of the Mersey as it is imperative that all corners of the Liverpool city region reach their potential together rather than at odds which has been the state of play up until recently and the result of that is plain to see. The is absolutely no reason why Wirral and each other borough can't retain its identity and indeed strengthen it as a district and borough of a larger city region.

North wales again owes a lot of its population and economic position to its proximity to Liverpool and has many cultural connections. Yes it's a different country and formally isn't in the city region but it's imperative that we forge stronger links as it's probably easier to fly or sail to Dublin or the Isle of Man than it is to North Wales for the moment.

If you feel the Wirral thinks of itself as subservient then in my view you're totally wrong and it's up to the Wirral to shake that off and engage more proactively in the regions future. I'm pretty sure if Wirral became part of Cheshire to match the postcode you would find yourselves perhaps in the same questionable predicament.

When all is said and done the Wirral, Sefton, St Helens, Halton and Knowsley owe their existence to the major city and former world port of Liverpool. They are part of this region and I believe most are proud to be so an to keep on believing that the way forward is to insist their is no connection between the different parts of the Liverpool city region is foolish and only serves to encourage the likes of centre for cities who dread the idea of a strong, cohesive, successful and cooperative Liverpool city region.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 06:28 PM   #5189
The sand man

Quote:
I begin this with a sigh but hey, I'll respond anyway.

Please don't try to dismiss my comments as some general whinge about criticism as my post clearly points out that there are plenty more people supportive of ideas and where they're not they're at least constructive unlike the few my post also refers to who just want to drag down anything they're unwilling to understand.

The ideas are not 'science fiction' and that kind of comment again comes from that "we can't do that" Liverpool mentality that some have. There is nothing in my work that is unachievable and the key purpose of the work is to stimulate bigger ideas and to view Liverpool as a world city rather than some peripheral backwater...we have plenty of 'think tanks' down the road doing that already, but I've made that point clear on many occasions.

I think it is wrong of you to suggest most of Wirral doesn't want to be part of Liverpool and I think this myth also doesn't help matters, nor is it true that most people see Wirral as an 'enemy' no more than Manchester views Salford as it's 'enemy'

It is ridiculous to keep trying to suggest that Liverpool and its city region boroughs are not one region with intertwined destinies given the city region next door demonstrates clearly how cooperation works.

My ideas have always been about empowering both sides of the Mersey as it is imperative that all corners of the Liverpool city region reach their potential together rather than at odds which has been the state of play up until recently and the result of that is plain to see. The is absolutely no reason why Wirral and each other borough can't retain its identity and indeed strengthen it as a district and borough of a larger city region.

North wales again owes a lot of its population and economic position to its proximity to Liverpool and has many cultural connections. Yes it's a different country and formally isn't in the city region but it's imperative that we forge stronger links as it's probably easier to fly or sail to Dublin or the Isle of Man than it is to North Wales for the moment.

If you feel the Wirral thinks of itself as subservient then in my view you're totally wrong and it's up to the Wirral to shake that off and engage more proactively in the regions future. I'm pretty sure if Wirral became part of Cheshire to match the postcode you would find yourselves perhaps in the same questionable predicament.

When all is said and done the Wirral, Sefton, St Helens, Halton and Knowsley owe their existence to the major city and former world port of Liverpool. They are part of this region and I believe most are proud to be so an to keep on believing that the way forward is to insist their is no connection between the different parts of the Liverpool city region is foolish and only serves to encourage the likes of centre for cities who dread the idea of a strong, cohesive, successful and cooperative Liverpool city region.
There is some I agree with some I dont. A proper discussion is better than name calling or childish remarks like that baldy man who tells me to get back to the echo comments just above your first comment. For the record I think a lot of them were unfair to you in the echo comments. And not because of anything else but being bored.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 06:41 PM   #5190
mmcd

Quote:
There is some I agree with some I dont. A proper discussion is better than name calling or childish remarks like that baldy man who tells me to get back to the echo comments just above your first comment. For the record I think a lot of them were unfair to you in the echo comments. And not because of anything else but being bored.
To be fair i'm far more concerned with idiots derailing ideas and discussion than anything personal that get's chucked at me.

It's not about me, it's about pushing forward a more positive and pro-active agenda to position Liverpool City Region as a leading world city region again. Yes it will take a long time but what we don't need are the nay sayers, the trolls and the morons who just want to hold everything and everyone back as a result of their own insecurities.

Something Echo comments sections seem to be a breeding ground for.

The sand man, roymcneil liked this post