SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | World Trade Center Transportation Hub | 46m | 150ft | Com

4M views 8K replies 651 participants last post by  Nexis 
#1 ·
I think a lot of people (especially me :D) are interested in this building and I couldn't find a thread about it. To avoid Off-Topic in the several WTC-Tower threads I decided to create this one.
So this is only about the Santiago Calatrava Transportation Hub and nothing else.
Here we go..

extract from lowermanhattan.info:

The image of a bird in flight is not one normally associated with an underground transportation center, but architect Santiago Calatrava has perfectly managed to marry the two. As designed, the World Trade Center (WTC) transportation hub -- built with two 150-feet-tall canopies extending from a glass- and steel-ribbed “body” -- sits at street level like a bird poised for flight, delivering natural light to the PATH train platform 60 feet below ground.

The $3.2 billion hub will sit at the northeast corner of the WTC site at Church and Vesey Streets and is expected to form an underground connection between the World Financial Center and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s Fulton Street Transit Center. Through it, pedestrians will have access to Hudson River ferry terminals, PATH trains, 13 subway lines, and possibly a direct rail link to JFK International Airport.

Calatrava’s design features steel “ribs” with glass panels between them to maximize natural light inside the station. The underground concourse, mezzanine, and platform levels will be largely free of vertical columns for a greater sense of openness and movement. The hub will also be a central pedestrian thoroughfare for the half-million-square-foot retail program planned for the WTC’s lower levels.

“The building is built with steel, glass, and light. They will all be equal building materials,” Calatrava said. “The light will arrive at the platform, and visitors will feel like they are arriving in a great place, a welcoming place.”
Calatrava said that Daniel Libeskind’s original master plan both guided his design and served as inspiration, stating that the transportation hub “articulates with Libeskind’s beautiful plan. The station fits like a centerpiece in the middle of the plaza.”

The hub in its entirety, which is being funded in part by the Federal Transit Administration, should open by mid-2014 and is expected to eventually serve more than a quarter-million travelers daily.

video of the exterior view:
http://www.lowermanhattan.info/tool...title=Exterior View&desc=1 minutes 24 seconds

video of the interior view:
http://www.lowermanhattan.info/tool...title=Interior View&desc=1 minutes 48 seconds

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The plate girder is for the PATH station, it'll support the mezzanine level. (the level just above the platform level)
Photo by Sal Schiano over at WNY.

The bolt pattern on this column looks to be identical to the one on the left end of the plate girder.
Photo by BStyles over at WNY.

max-er kit :)

Sal Schiano wirednewyork
The "weight wagon" weighs 95,000 pounds and with all weights added maxes out at 860,000 pounds. Don't quote me on this but with the Max-ER kit and it's current boom and jib configuration I think the 18000 can lift 260 tons at 200 feet.

#5 ·
What is the open space going to be used for? Will it have kiosks, a stage, seating, plants, etc, or will it just be open for traffic to move easily?

The new Indianapolis International Airport is somewhat similar in respect to it also being a large transportation building, is very big and open with high white ceilings, and has minimal columns. It really is one of the nicest airports I have ever traveled through due to its open un-confining feel. It has broken the interior space up though with all of the amenities I mentioned above.

Does anyone know what the final WTC Transportation Hub will or will not include when it comes to the interior finishes?

#8 ·
What is the open space going to be used for? Will it have kiosks, a stage, seating, plants, etc, or will it just be open for traffic to move easily?
My guess is, it'll have all of the above! Some days it'll just be open space with perhaps a few plants ala the Winter Gardens, and other days there'll be concerts or whatever going on. In the old WTC complex, there was a stage in the plaza where there would be concerts or whatever. There are no big outdoor spaces like this in the new complex, but the central hall would make an ideal location.

#13 ·
Calatrava looks to be becoming a one trick pony, similar to Gehry, with the same designs just refreshed and put on the next project.

His designs on Lyon Airport's TGV station and the Valencia sports hall and some elements of the palace of the arts in that city are nearly identical. There is nothing new in this design by him and it just seems to be bringing out the plans of those buildings , adding a few tweaks and theres the new 'iconic' building. No originality.

#15 ·
Calatrava looks to be becoming a one trick pony, similar to Gehry, with the same designs just refreshed and put on the next project.

His designs on Lyon Airport's TGV station and the Valencia sports hall and some elements of the palace of the arts in that city are nearly identical. There is nothing new in this design by him and it just seems to be bringing out the plans of those buildings , adding a few tweaks and theres the new 'iconic' building. No originality.
I totally agree. However, the above renderings are but a small part of the whole. The Transit Hub is like an octopus with tentacles reaching into all parts of the WTC site.

#20 ·
The one on the right is a WTC 1 column :)

That beam you are thinking of was installed just south of the south tower crane above the PATH station. It well support the Visitors Center.
I've been meaning to ask you this for about two years now. Why do you always write "well" in place of "will"? lol