daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Somalia > Economy & Business / Dhaqaalaha iyo Ganacsiga

Economy & Business / Dhaqaalaha iyo Ganacsiga Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you

Old November 15th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #1
musa90

Likes (Received): 13

Somali community in the UK raise $750,000 to secure release elderly British captives

Quote:
A British couple kidnapped by pirates was released after more than a year in captivity, their family said in a statement Sunday, but would not comment on a reported ransom payment.

Paul and Rachel Chandler were seized from their yacht on October 23, 2009, just after they set sail from the Seychelles Islands for Tanzania.

The Chandlers landed in Kenya late Sunday afternoon, said Abdurraham Omar Osman, Somali government spokesman. The couple's family also confirmed their arrival.

"Throughout the protracted discussions with the pirates it has been a difficult task for the family to get across the message that these were two retired people on a sailing trip on a small private yacht and not part of a major commercial enterprise involving tens of millions of pounds of assets," said a statement issued by the couple's family.

"Thankfully, common sense prevailed and a solution was obtained for their release in the last few days. There will be the inevitable questions of how their release was achieved," the statement said. "The family believes it would be irresponsible to discuss any aspect of the release process, as this could encourage others to capture private individuals and demand large ransom payments, something that we are sure none of us wants."

A ransom of about $750,000 was paid for their release, local elders in Somalia said. They did not want to be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue.

The family statement Sunday said the Chandlers' relatives "would like to thank those in the Somali community especially, both locally and in the UK, who did so much to help secure their release."

"They are physically and mentally doing well, and excited to be alive," said Mohamed Aden, a local elder in Adado. "Paul and Rachel Chandler are safe and doing fine.They have had a good shower and they are eating breakfast."

Aden was one of the key elders involved in helping secure their release.

The couple is "in good spirits although very tired and exhausted," the family statement said. The two will have medical checks in Nairobi and then fly back to the United Kingdom, it said.

"We cannot yet be certain how the difficulties that they have had to endure in recent months will have affected them physically and emotionally," the family statement said. It asked that the couple be allowed time to readjust as they return to their family and friends.

"Paul and Rachel Chandler's release is tremendous news," British Prime Minister David Cameron said in a statement. "Their long captivity is over at last. We will ensure that they are reunited with their family as quickly as possible. I unreservedly condemn the actions of those that held the Chandlers for so long. Kidnapping is never justified. I am grateful to all those who have worked so hard to bring the Chandlers safely out."

Last year, Paul Chandler pleaded for their life in a two-minute video broadcast on Britain's Channel 4. He was surrounded by armed men pointing weapons at him.

At the time, Chandler said the captors could kill them if a $7 million ransom were not paid.

"We are concerned that these people will lose patience and will not feed us -- and I have no doubt that they will not hesitate to kill us, perhaps within a week or so of now if there is no response," he said. "So, please somebody get in touch. Otherwise we just sleepwalk to a tragic ending."

Last year, British officials have refused to pay a ransom or negotiate with pirates. Officials have said doing so would only encourage more kidnappings.

"The government will not make substantive concessions for hostage takers, including the payments of ransom," the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office said in a statement.

Pirates have been very active off the east coast of Africa in the past several years, operating out of lawless Somalia.

It was unclear who paid the ransom, but a local elder told CNN that the Somali diaspora in England played a key role in raising the funds.
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/af...ex.html?hpt=T2
musa90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Ras Siyan
Jamhuuriyada Jabuuti

Likes (Received): 1419

Watched in the news this morning, glad they're released!

Well done for the Somali community in UK for contributing to their release! They had a moral responsibility to do so.

Last edited by Ras Siyan; November 15th, 2010 at 06:08 PM.
Ras Siyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Zimbobeauty
Married to DSP

Likes (Received): 9

Good stuff.
Zimbobeauty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10408

The husband found out when he came back to Britain that his father died while he was hostage. Talk about a nightmare these people have been living.

PS: +1 to the people who helped raise the ransom money and -1 to the pathetic Somali government for saying that it helped in the negotiations.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Lailax

Likes (Received): 40

Well done to all who raised this and secured their release.
Lailax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Hersh
Resident Guru

Likes (Received): 902

Well done indeed. Glad it ended well. However, it doesn't say in the article that the UK Somali community raised the $750k. Is that mentioned somewhere else?
Hersh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #7
Camellete

Likes (Received): 55

Great news. I heard this on universal Tv yes2day.
Camellete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #8
lordangers5
Blairflair

Likes (Received): 1

Dont see why it was the Somali community's responsibility or moral obligation? Personally I think they should have been freed but not with cash. Your just bringing guns into the country. Ok that moneys not going to likes of Al-Shabaab but it's still funding criminals. I mean whats the point of sinking the ships that the pirates use when they can just by another few with the money they get from the one decent raid. This pay-out will only give the pirates an incentive to hit private ships. I mean look at what the French did. Spot on, went in, took the pirates out and ok lost one of the hostages but it made the pirates think twice about picking up on civilians for a while. Because you pay for the chandellers and their ignorance (ok they took precautions but they didnt know the full range of the pirates), another ignorant family will be targeted.
lordangers5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #9
lordangers5
Blairflair

Good that they were released though but next time the British government should do more.........
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Hersh
Resident Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordangers5 View Post
Dont see why it was the Somali community's responsibility or moral obligation? Personally I think they should have been freed but not with cash. Your just bringing guns into the country. Ok that moneys not going to likes of Al-Shabaab but it's still funding criminals. I mean whats the point of sinking the ships that the pirates use when they can just by another few with the money they get from the one decent raid. This pay-out will only give the pirates an incentive to hit private ships. I mean look at what the French did. Spot on, went in, took the pirates out and ok lost one of the hostages but it made the pirates think twice about picking up on civilians for a while. Because you pay for the chandellers and their ignorance (ok they took precautions but they didnt know the full range of the pirates), another ignorant family will be targeted.
I don't think the Somali community paid for it. That wouldn't make any sense. I don't know where that information is coming from. It's not stated in the article.
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #11
bh2010

Likes (Received): 28

750,000 is a sh*tload of money....mmm, holding white people hostage pays
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #12
sammyjay77
PAN AFRICAN

Where is POPA? He should come and see what the Somalis did to secure a British Couple lives'.

Thats Generous!
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #13
lordangers5
Blairflair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
I don't think the Somali community paid for it. That wouldn't make any sense. I don't know where that information is coming from. It's not stated in the article.
I didnt say they payed up, I just said they should have any morale obligation. I should have said to help get the Chandellers released so my bad. Also the British media has given mention to the efforts such as negotiation. One Somali taximan in the UK had a massive impact in negotiations. I am glad they helped and I suppose everyone is grateful but just saying they shouldnt feel the need to help. Good that they did though
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #14
lordangers5
Blairflair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh2010 View Post
750,000 is a sh*tload of money....mmm, holding white people hostage pays
Lol see what this ransom has done. It has inspired a future pirate!
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #15
bh2010

Likes (Received): 28

at pirates for not feeding them well

Old November 15th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #16
ja'far

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Well done indeed. Glad it ended well. However, it doesn't say in the article that the UK Somali community raised the $750k. Is that mentioned somewhere else?
The family of the captives also contributed money for their release. Therefore, it was a group effort.
ja'far no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #17
Hersh
Resident Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja'far View Post
The family of the captives also contributed money for their release. Therefore, it was a group effort.
Where is it that says the Somali community raised money though? I was just curious since I didn't see it in the article. I figured maybe it was mentioned elsewhere.
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #18
ja'far

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Where is it that says the Somali community raised money though? I was just curious since I didn't see it in the article. I figured maybe it was mentioned elsewhere.
I don't see it on that article either, however, i read it from other sources.

Only Mussa can answer that, since he posted the article.
ja'far no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #19
Constantine MMX
RETIRED

Likes (Received): 98

The Somali community in the UK, if I remember correctly raised between 150-200 thousand pounds during fundraising events, not sure what the Total amount is. Still a big number for a struggling community that has absolutely nothing to do with bucanneers in a different country from the one they are currently living in. Nobody asked them to do so, yet they stepped forward organising these events, or making direct contact with the lunatics that held them hostage, and still you have some characters who would like to paint this entire community with one brush based on a single leecher.
Constantine MMX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #20
screenshotartist
Engineer

Likes (Received): 20

I wanna Become, So that I can make my dream come true of retiring before 30.

Quick money, Invest it, buy property and create a few businesses.

Tags
somalia