daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Somalia > Economy & Business / Dhaqaalaha iyo Ganacsiga

Economy & Business / Dhaqaalaha iyo Ganacsiga Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you

Old August 9th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #361
I.M Boring
life liver

Likes (Received): 720

It is sad that some of you view these pirates as "heroes" fighting a good cause of some sort. Although I agree that the pirates, like the Al Shebab, are just a symptom and not the root cause of the problems in Somalia (which I personally believe are cultural in origin), their actions should not be commended. What these men are doing is nothing short of stealing and whatever rationalisation you come up with, the fact still remains that it is immoral to exchange the lives of people for money. Whether Islam allows for it or not, it is wrong!!
I.M Boring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #362
lordangers5
Blairflair

Likes (Received): 1

Agree, well said. Don't know about a culture but this is wrong. Except the illegal trawlers who need to be stopped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camellete View Post
Majority of the ships/boats they do catch are actually illegal fishers from all over the global, but obviously the western media isn't going to report this.
Well done to them
lordangers5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #363
abesha
BANNED

Likes (Received): 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M Boring View Post
It is sad that some of you view these pirates as "heroes" fighting a good cause of some sort. Although I agree that the pirates, like the Al Shebab, are just a symptom and not the root cause of the problems in Somalia (which I personally believe are cultural in origin), their actions should not be commended. What these men are doing is nothing short of stealing and whatever rationalisation you come up with, the fact still remains that it is immoral to exchange the lives of people for money. Whether Islam allows for it or not, it is wrong!!
+10
abesha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #364
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoniii
The pirates should help their brothers and sisters in the South. It would also help their "we are the coast guard of somalia" image they're trying portray.
With haram money? Not ethically ideal.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #365
Yoniii

Likes (Received): 3071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
With haram money? Not ethically ideal.
You think a starving kid in a refugee camp has time to think about ethics. I would rather see the money going there, than being spent on big SUV's, lavish houses and prostitutes.
Yoniii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #366
Lailax

Likes (Received): 40

Piracy didn't come out of nowhere, it is merely a reaction to a problem.

I hope the money is used to fund those starving in the South and beyond. That I would support.
Whether the money comes from stealing does not matter to me if the end result is a child not dying
Lailax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #367
Xusein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoniii
You think a starving kid in a refugee camp has time to think about ethics. I would rather see the money going there, than being spent on big SUV's, lavish houses and prostitutes.
They need FOOD, not money.

I doubt they even know about the famine.
Old August 11th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #368
Yoniii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
They need FOOD, not money.

I doubt they even know about the famine.
Of couse they know about the famine, they aren't nomads in a far away desert.

How are we in the west helping? None of us are sending food, you use the money to buy food.
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #369
Xusein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoniii View Post
Of couse they know about the famine, they aren't nomads in a far away desert.
You would be surprised. This is a country where the majority of people are illiterate and are not covered by internet or television. And they are in a far away desert actually...their bases anyway.

Either way, expecting that a bunch of criminals go and put their money into helping people in need is a hopeful wish indeed.

Quote:
How are we in the west helping? None of us are sending food, you use the money to buy food.
Realistically, do you think that the people will actually benefit from the vast majority of this money? I don't. I don't have any trust in the organizations sending this money. Outside funding for housing, health, and agricultural education programs, I would rather have them give them more food than thinking they can fix problems by just throwing money at the situation.

For the record, I never said anything wrong with sending money on an individual level (we have).
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:56 PM   #370
xJamaax

Likes (Received): 2887

A major operation by the Kenya Navy to rescue a paralysed French woman abducted by suspected al Shabaab gunmen early Saturday was thwarted when the boat carrying her escaped into Somalia.

“Immediately the government learnt of this unfortunate incident, security forces swung into immediate action and pursued the abductors as they sped northwards in a high-speed boat towards Ras Kamboni. In the ensuing shoot-out between the abductors and the Kenya Navy, several of the abductors were injured but managed to enter Ras Kamboni,” Internal Security minister George Saitoti said in a statement.

Ras Kamboni is the southernmost tip of Somalia.

Been kidnapped

Earlier Tourism minister Najib Balala said 66-year-old Marie Dedieu had been kidnapped from her home on Manda Island opposite Lamu Island.

Sources in Lamu across the channel said 10 armed attackers arrived in a small boat around 3.30 a.m. and abducted the woman.

Ms Dedieu’s caregiver, Zainab Anthony, said six gunmen had entered the compound at Ras Kitau opposite Shela village on Lamu and sealed it off.

“I saw three armed men dressed in military uniform as I was going to the washroom, and I screamed,” she told Sunday Nation by telephone.

“They then ordered me to shut up and threatened to shoot as they went to the main house. One of them asked me: ‘Where is Mama?’”

The screams awoke male workers who were ordered to lie down, and one gunmen was left to guard them as three others entered the house, she said.

Inside the assailants encountered Ms Dedieu and her partner Lapapa ole Moiyoi who had been awakened by the commotion, and ordered him to surrender.

“We pleaded with them not to take her away and said we were ready to give them money, but they refused,” he said, adding that the couple had arrived on the island from Paris two days earlier.

“As they dragged her I tried to wrestle the man who was guarding me. I managed to jump out of the window as he fired two shots but missed,” he said.

The workers said Ms Dedieu was paralysed after being involved in an accident several years ago. They said she was taking medication for her condition.

The assailants struck some of the workers with gun butts during the 30-minute incident.

Last edited by xJamaax; October 1st, 2011 at 10:17 PM.
xJamaax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:31 PM   #371
bantugbro
Olduvai Gorge

Likes (Received): 601

Balala ,what is the overall effect of Pirates actions to the Kenyan Tourism Industry?
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:38 PM   #372
xJamaax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantugbro View Post
Balala ,what is the overall effect of Pirates actions to the Kenyan Tourism Industry?
But you already know the effects, dont you?

The French tourist should just be kept there until the money is released!France is rich and should learn how to share the wealth with other people.

Last edited by xJamaax; October 1st, 2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:44 AM   #373
ja'far

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJamaax View Post

The French tourist should just be kept there until the money is released!France is rich and should learn how to share the wealth with other people.
Giving money to gangs is wrong thing to do. Crime should not pay.
ja'far no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:26 AM   #374
musa90

Likes (Received): 13

If this woman was a local Kenyan nobody would have cared.
musa90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:16 AM   #375
Yoniii

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa90 View Post
If this woman was a local Kenyan nobody would have cared.
I'm sure Kenyas would.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 05:49 PM   #376
bantugbro
Olduvai Gorge

Likes (Received): 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJamaax View Post

Look like she was spying for France intelligence...
Old October 14th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #377
xJamaax

Two Spaniards kidnapped in Kenya likely in Somalia

Two Spanish aid workers kidnapped from Kenya’s Dadaab refugee camp are believed to have been taken into lawless Somalia, police said Friday.

The two women, working as logisticians for the aid agency Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF, Doctors Without Borders), were seized Thursday by gunmen that police say were Somali Islamist al Shabaab rebels.

“There are all indications that they are on the other side (of the border),” regional police chief Leo Nyongesa told AFP.

It was the third incident of foreigners being abducted in just over a month.

Fierce fighting was reported in a town just inside Somalia on Thursday between Al-Qaeda linked Shabaab militants and other rival Somali militia groups.

Helicopter search

Despite the likelihood the kidnappers are now in Somalia, police said they would continue the search in Kenya on Friday with the support of a helicopter.

Again?
Old October 14th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #378
èđđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1980

Kenya's military is just looking weak and pathetic right about now. It's time the government got serious with doing a better job patrolling the border.

I won't be surprised if this isn't the last time this happens this month. I think it's time to consider a barrier at the border, get the Chinese to build it.
Old October 16th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #379
juzme123

Likes (Received): 1558

Wait how can an armed group go as far as Lamu into Kenya, kidnap people and then cross the border all the way back to Somalia without being aprehended ? Fail on the part of the Kenyan security.
juzme123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
somalia