daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Somalia > Economy & Business / Dhaqaalaha iyo Ganacsiga

Economy & Business / Dhaqaalaha iyo Ganacsiga Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you

Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM   #121
G.O.E.T.I.A
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

looolll screenshot
G.O.E.T.I.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:52 AM   #122
screenshotartist
Engineer

Likes (Received): 20

Do, somali Pirates recruit non-somalis?????

Coz, I would not mind doing some part-time work.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:54 AM   #123
Lailax

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenshotartist View Post

I have heard it pays well
Lailax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:55 AM   #124
Shaka-M-14
Booty Master!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Yeah but you have to go through a recruiting process in which you kill a lion, rhino, and manatee with your bare hands.
Shaka-M-14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:02 AM   #125
musa90

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:

lol

But they all speak Somali with each other, you will feel left out.
musa90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:14 AM   #126
EriFly

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Eritrean View Post
There is no Eritrean piracy, that's just the Eritrean coast guard capturing Illegal Yemeni, Egyptian, and sometimes Saudi fishermen off the coast of Eritrea. When they get captured, the Yemeni media calls the Eritrean coast guards as "pirates" because they confiscate their boats, lock'em up for a week and send them back to their countries with nothing but their clothes on their backs. A lot of Yemeni fishermen are upset that the "good old days" of sailing in Eritrea's waters and robbing Eritreans, who at those times, were fighting to liberate their country, are over. The Egyptians and Saudis have stopped, but impoverished Yemeni fishermen still keep testing Eritrea's navy and they are loosing bad.

Btw, there are real pirates in west Africa and Yemenis, along with Pakistanis have been known to conduct pirate acts off Somali waters. It's not a "Somali" thing, it's a global lucrative market. More power to the pirates, so long as they only capture European/American/ and rich Asian fleets.

There is no piracy in Eritrea because the Eritrean navy will go Mel Gibson on any one that enters Eritrean waters to rob Eritreans of their resources.
Well said! there are no pirates in Eritrea so thats a No.
EriFly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #127
Lailax

Crew uses safe room to foil Somali pirate attack
Quote:
Suspected Somali pirates boarded a British-flagged tanker, but abandoned the siege after the crew locked themselves in a safe room and retained control of the vessel, a naval task force said Tuesday.

The foiled attack in the North Arabian Sea - approximately 365 nautical miles southeast of Salalah in Oman - suggested Somali pirate skiffs are extending their range into waters farther north toward Oman.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010401572.html

Maybe this will become a common feature in all ships in time
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #128
Lailax

Pirate attacks at 7-yr high last year

Quote:
Pirate attacks on ships worldwide hit a seven year high in 2010 and a record number of crew were taken hostage, a maritime watchdog body said, despite increased patrolling of the seas.

Somalia remained the biggest problem with pirates operating off the country's shore accounting for 49 of the 52 ships seized last year, an official at the reporting centre of the International Maritime Bureau in Kuala Lumpur said.

The London-headquartered IMB said 1,181 crew members were taken hostage, a record high since the bureau started monitoring piracy in 1991.

"The continued increase in these numbers is alarming," said Pottengal Mukundan, director of the piracy reporting centre.

There were 445 actual and attempted pirate attacks on ships around the world in 2010, equal to the last peak recorded in 2003.

The number of attacks in the Gulf of Aden, which along with adjacent seas links Europe to Asia, dropped by half because of better patrolling. But pirates, mostly Somali gangs, struck further away.

"All measures taken at sea to limit the activities of the pirates are undermined because of a lack of responsible authority back in Somalia from where the pirates begin their voyages," said Mukundan.

Foreign navies have been deployed off the Gulf of Aden since the start of 2009 and have operated convoys. They have also set up a transit corridor for ships to pass through vulnerable points.

The number of attacks in the South China Sea, which links to a key shipping lane for world trade, more than doubled to 31 in 2010, the IMB said. (Reporting by Razak Ahmad)
http://af.reuters.com/article/somali...7CI08320110118

Somali parliament blocks piracy bill

Quote:
Somali lawmakers on Tuesday blocked a bill criminalising piracy which was proposed by the justice minister to pave the way for a local tribunal.
The bill finalised last week by the government is meant to beef up Somalia's legal arsenal in prosecuting and detaining pirates, who have so far been mainly tried abroad.

"We ask lawmakers to endorse this bill against piracy which will help change conditions for many Somali youths who are serving prison terms outside the country," Justice and Religious Affairs Minister Abdullahi Abyan Nur said.

Nur said the law would be a major step in combating piracy, which soared to record levels last year, with sea-jackers dodging an armada of foreign warships to capture dozens of vessels and make hundreds of seamen hostage.
But severals lawmakers challenged the bill during a heated debate in the Somali capital and forced a revision of the document.

"This text on the punishment of pirates is not compatible with Islam and therefore cannot be approved," Mohamed Mohamoud Heyd, a member of parliament, said.

"It isn't necessary either at this point because the pirates are also fighting the foreign ships that are plundering our fish and other marine resources," he added.

Several other MPs voiced the same opinion and the vice president of parliament adjourned the session by instructing a 15-member committee to amend the bill within five days.

Suspected Somali pirates are currently on trial in Kenya and the Seychelles, which have both signed deals with foreign navies for the prosecution of piracy suspects, as well as in several Western countries.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...43638ff444.851
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:59 AM   #129
TshabalalaGH
ME FIRI GHANA

Likes (Received): 255

How else are these people supposed to feed themselves and their families? Find jobs? Yea but who wants to do that. We all would like to get easy money and do this all day...

Old January 21st, 2011, 04:01 AM   #130
Shaka-M-14
Booty Master!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TshabalalaGH View Post
How else are these people supposed to feed themselves and their families? Find jobs? Yea but who wants to do that. We all would like to get easy money and do this all day...

lol he looks like he just died while having an orgasm.
Shaka-M-14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:04 AM   #131
TshabalalaGH
ME FIRI GHANA

Likes (Received): 255

Hahah I'm more worried about the fact that the girl is about to break her into two!
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:09 AM   #132
Lailax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TshabalalaGH View Post

Old January 21st, 2011, 04:13 AM   #133
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Reportedly the founder of Blackwater and a bunch of South African mercenaries are going to train a "anti-piracy force".

This could be interesting.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:15 AM   #134
Arinze

Likes (Received): 3932

Dear Jesus that poor woman is about to sweat her perm out from all that exercise.
Arinze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:23 AM   #135
Xusein

Not much women looking like that where the pirates are from.

They are ballin though...!
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:48 AM   #136
Carver02
Mister One Million

Likes (Received): 727

Smarter Somali Pirates Thwarting Navies, NATO Admits

MOMBASA, Kenya - Somali pirates' use of "mother ships" to attack their prey is complicating foreign navies' efforts to improve safety in the Indian Ocean, a senior anti-piracy commander said Jan. 14.

Somalia's expanding army of pirates are increasingly launching their attacks from large, already hijacked vessels that offer greater physical protection during boarding and whose kidnapped crews act as human shields.

Speaking to reporters in the Kenyan port of Mombasa where his NATO flagship was docked, Commodore Michiel Hijmans said few pirates were still using their rudimentary skiffs to board vessels.

..."The pirates can operate in the sea for long as they load the mother ships with enough food, fuel and militant weapons ready for a hijacking spree," he said.

"Pirates are getting smarter every hour... Pirates do not give up unless they cannot board or are threatened. I'm afraid that the war on piracy might not be won until there is a stable government in Somalia," he said.

Hijmans said Somali pirates were currently holding 28 ships and 654 crew members.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php...01&c=MID&s=SEA
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:48 AM   #137
Carver02
Mister One Million

Likes (Received): 727

The bold statement could encourage further Western action in Somalia.
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:53 AM   #138
Arinze

Likes (Received): 3932

That's the problem though...doesn't the "official" Somali government control only a couple of blocks in the capital?

Without a strong govt. how does the root of the problem get solve?
Arinze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:55 AM   #139
Xusein

Merged this in the "Somali pirate" thread.
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:58 AM   #140
Lailax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinze View Post
That's the problem though...doesn't the "official" Somali government control only a couple of blocks in the capital?

Without a strong govt. how does the root of the problem get solve?
First remove the primary causes of piracy. Which was illegal fishing and dumping.

Absolutely a Somali stable Govt. is necessary to eradicate the problem but it will not help if the world suddenly decides it needs to bring foot soldiers on the soil

What countries can do now is protect their own ships. Who cares about other nations? Screw the rest of the world but that is just me

Tags
somalia