SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | One World Trade Center (1WTC) | 541m | 1776ft | 94 fl | Com

22M views 59K replies 4K participants last post by  Riley1066 
#1 ·
Since the world trade center is finally under construction. I wanted to create this thread for photos and news about skyscrapersd and the memorial happening at ground zero. Please post photos of the site plan, and construction photos happening at the site. Hope you guys enjoy!!!!!! :)

#3 ·
Rebuilding the World Trade Center
Main article: World Trade Center site
The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, the agency charged with coordinating the reconstruction of the World Trade Center site, selected the master plan, Memory Foundations by Daniel Libeskind [9], which includes the 1776 ft (541 m) Freedom Tower. The height of 1,776 feet (541 m) was chosen as a reference to the year of American independence. A new office building, 7 World Trade Center, which was not part of the site master plan, is expected to open in June 2006.

The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation sponsored an international design competition for the World Trade Center Memorial in spring 2003. The winning design, Michael Arad and Peter Walker's Reflecting Absence, was chosen in January 2004.

The Freedom Tower as it might look.The World Trade Center name will continue to be used as name of the site, as will the New York City Subway and PATH train stations that serve the complex. A temporary PATH station, largely following the layout of the original, is the first part of the complex to have re-opened.

On November 22, 2004, New York Republican Governor George Pataki named the living former presidents as honorary members of the board rebuilding the World Trade Center.

On May 18, 2005 Donald Trump, long-time opponent of the Freedom Tower design, held a press conference where he endorsed the alternative "Twin Towers II" proposal for rebuilding the Twin Towers with a design closely resembling the originals, but with various safety, structural, and technological improvements, and one story taller.[10] It is said that the majority of New Yorkers prefer this plan rather than the current plan, however most officials involved in the rebuilding have dismissed Trump's endorsement as a publicity stunt.

World Trade Center Site, June 2005.
World Trade Center Site, December 2005.On June 29, 2005, a redesigned Freedom Tower was unveiled which more closely resembled the character of the fallen towers. The new design also boasted several safety improvements over previous proposals.

On December 15, 2005, Sir Norman Foster was announced as the architect who will design the second of five new office towers planned for the site.

As of early 2006 progress at the World Trade Center site is slowly building up. Workers will soon move PATH train cables out of the way in order to start foundation work on both the Freedom Tower, permanent PATH station, underground parking and the Memorial. By the end of 2006, the site is finally expected to look like the massive construction project that built the previous WTC.

On March 13, 2006 workers arrived at the World Trade Center site to remove remaining debris and start surveying work. This marks the official start of construction of the WTC Memorial and Museum. [11]

In April 2006, a tentative agreement was reached by the owner of the site, The Port Authority, and private developer Larry Silverstein. The main elements of that agreement are that Silverstein ceded rights to develop the Freedom Tower and Tower Five in exchange for financing with Liberty Bonds for Tower Two, Three, and Four which are considered to be the most marketable properties of the site. On April 27, 2006, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for the Freedom Tower.

#5 ·
^you've been pointed to the appropriate threads, find them rather than starting new ones... its generally easier

#6 · (Edited)
NYC: One World Trade Center - 1,776ft -- 541m (part III)

Completion - 1st Quarter 2011

Size - 2,600,000 sf

Floors - 80-foot-high public lobby topped by a series of mechanical floors form a 200-foot-high building base. 69 tenant floors rise above the base to 1120 feet elevation. Mechanical floors, two floors to be occupied by the Metropolitan Television Alliance, restaurants and observation decks culminate in an observation deck and glass parapet that mark 1362' and 1368' respectively — the heights of the original Twin Towers. An antenna supported by a cable structure rises to a final height of 1776'

Location - Freedom Tower is located in the northwest corner of the 16-acre World Trade Center site, bounded by Vesey, West, Washington and Fulton Streets.

Building Amenities - Observation decks, world-class restaurants, and the Manhattan Television Alliance (MTVA) broadcast and antennae facilities.
All floors served by direct elevators. Cross-over elevator banks at floors 20, 29, 37 and 45.
Ground floor contains a secure, 45-foot-high marble and glass entry lobby facing Greenwich Street, where access is limited to black cars and taxis.
Loading dock with five bays accessible from Washington Street.
Each floor served by individually tenant-controlled DHX units.
Each floor has 6w per sf of power available, with additional power if required.

Transportation - Freedom Tower offers access to mass transportation (including the A, C, E, 1, 2, 3, N, R , 4, 5, J, M, Z and PATH trains) both at grade and through an underground concourse with entry immediately outside the building and running from the new Fulton Street Transit Center to Battery Park City and the World Financial Center.

- The desired schedule for construction, calls for the tower's foundation to commence April of 2006, concrete to grade by the end of 2007, topping out in 2009 and completion in 2011.
- This building will consist of 69 office floors, and 13 non-office floors with uses ranging from mechanical to dining.
- Ground for actual construction (different from the cornerstone placing) was broken on April 27, 2006.
- A parapet wall around the roof will bring the building's height to 1,368, the same height as the old North Tower.
- The 187-foot-high base will be concrete clad in over 2,000 pieces of prismatic glass.
- The 408-feet tall decorative spire will encase an antenna with a lighting system to make it into a beacon.
- Foundation work started in July 2006.

OFFICIAL SITE: http://www.wtc.com/

#7 ·
yay part 3! I am very happy you named it One World Trade Center, thank you!! but you should put a link in there to parts 1 and 2, also you should include the news of 2WTC, or will that have its own thread?

#10 ·
LeCom said:
Last two renders are fake, aren't they?
No, they are from the movies.

By the way, it has 3.5 million square feet of space in total.

> Sublevels - Retail/Transportation
> 1st-19th floors - Podium
> 20th-63rd floors - Offices
> 64th floor - Sky lobby
> 65th - 88th floors - Offices
> 89th and 90th floors - Transmission equipment
> 91st - 100th floors - Mechanical
> 100th - 101st floors - Restaurant
> 102nd floor - Observation deck
> 103rd - 108th floors - Mechanical

The spire is still being designed.

#11 · (Edited)
blackhawk08 said:
yay part 3! I am very happy you named it One World Trade Center, thank you!! but you should put a link in there to parts 1 and 2, also you should include the news of 2WTC, or will that have its own thread?

Yes, 2WTC will have its own thread when it becomes official next month, and drawings come out. As will 3, 4 and 5 WTC. So when the time comes, there will be threads for like 5 different towers in NYC, all hovering around 1,000 feet.

theres no official word on 2WTC so I wont include it in the original post. Some of those pics in there are just for model sake, give people an idea of the project impact and massive fucking size.

from WNY, the height must be elevated in this picture to 1,354:

#12 ·
Damn, I knew I should have never given you guys the height. While there's a high chance that the height I said is official, keep in mind that the tower is still in a concept stage and many changes may have to take place. I don't want anyone complaining if they change the height again. I'm pretty sure that Vengineer knows more than I on this subject anyway. By the way, how did you guys make that pic of 2WTC? You used Vengineer's drawing, right?

#17 ·
Spooky873 said:
Yes, 2WTC will have its own thread when it becomes official next month, and drawings come out. As will 3, 4 and 5 WTC. So when the time comes, there will be threads for like 5 different towers in NYC, all hovering around 1,000 feet.

theres no official word on 2WTC so I wont include it in the original post. Some of those pics in there are just for model sake, give people an idea of the project impact and massive fucking size.

from WNY, the height must be elevated in this picture to 1,354:

That drawing is wrong. It is partially my fault because I did post a cross section of that tower but then followed up saying that I totally depicted wrong. I had to translate it from memory and I screwed up. That is not how 2 WTC looks damnit. And he made that render without my permission and now its spreading through the forums spreading false depictions. I am not responsible for that render.

#18 ·
Aural Ink... I appreciate the efforts but the render you made on 2 WTC is a bit incorrect. That first "drawing" i made was later corrected by another version. The version you used to make that drawing was incorrect by my fault. You should either take them down or at least fix them with the corrected depiction I posted up.