SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | One World Trade Center (1WTC) | 541m | 1776ft | 94 fl | Com

22M views 59K replies 4K participants last post by  Riley1066 
#1 ·
Since the world trade center is finally under construction. I wanted to create this thread for photos and news about skyscrapersd and the memorial happening at ground zero. Please post photos of the site plan, and construction photos happening at the site. Hope you guys enjoy!!!!!! :)

#46,601 ·
Do you have a Spire on your car? No. Do you have an antenna on your car? Yes. What's the antenna used for? :cheers:
Spire, antenna, height, radome. It's such odd banter.

New Yorker's don't care about ANY of it. Every day over the past decade, that massive "hole" in the NYC skyline has been a constant reminder of pure evil.

Now, finally, the skyline has been restored and everyone in the NYC area will see that beacon each night and smile. Plain and simple.

It will be nice to look towards the southern tip of Manhattan after all these years and finally smile. Mission accomplished!

#46,607 ·
#46,609 ·
i've only flown out of LGA once but from what i hear from the tower guys, it looks like delays happen more often for the departing planes (it could be a case by case basis but that's kinda what i understand)...

unfortunately, Van Wyck Expwy (I-678) is a slow-go almost everyday so the commute to Manhattan will definitely be longer from JFK as compared to from LGA...

you might probably want to go to the NYC Airports thread out in the Aviation section..:D

:cheers:
Living in NYC or its suburbs means it will take time to get anywhere! From SI it can easily take 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes to get places in Manhattan, from Queens it can easily take 45 minutes to 1 hour, from most places in Nassau about 45 to 1 hour, from Suffolk County 1 hour to 1 hour 15, etc. I never understood people that seem surprised at this. Living in the vicinity of the largest city in the US means commutes won't be easy. Still wouldn't have it any other way! :colgate:

#46,615 ·
Was watching NBC TODAY show, and at 7:30am they said 1WTC WILL TOP OUT TOMORROW! No idea a time, but they said the final piece will go up tomorrow and Matt lauer (Today show host) will be at the top floor improve on the TODAY show to watc it happen live

#46,616 ·
Was watching NBC TODAY show, and at 7:30am they said 1WTC WILL TOP OUT TOMORROW! No idea a time, but they said the final piece will go up tomorrow and Matt lauer (Today show host) will be at the top floor improve on the TODAY show to watc it happen live
One of the construction workers said on Instagram tomorrow at 7:30am it will go in!

#46,617 ·
antenna is used for radio ,telecomunication and the spire i don't know

I apologize for my smart-ass answer then. I assumed you were just another idiot calling the spire of 1WTC an antenna because they don't like it. When people ask dumb questions, I usually respond with a dumb answer. But it looks like I made a mistake here. Here's a :booze: on me.

Basically, a spire's only purpose is for visual appearance or to "crown" a building to make it taller without the cost of adding actual, usable floors. Generally it has no way of sending or receiving radio/telecommunication signals unless smaller antenna's are later attached to the side. Wikipedia has a pretty decent description here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spire

#46,618 ·
Hi sister! Amazing how much alike we look.

We aren't twins that's for sure :lol:

But in terms of culture, arts, entertainment, business, music, fashion, film, theatre etc... It's hard to find two cities with more in common or more closely linked that aren't in the same country.