SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | One World Trade Center (1WTC) | 541m | 1776ft | 94 fl | Com

22M views 59K replies 4K participants last post by  Riley1066 
#1 ·
Since the world trade center is finally under construction. I wanted to create this thread for photos and news about skyscrapersd and the memorial happening at ground zero. Please post photos of the site plan, and construction photos happening at the site. Hope you guys enjoy!!!!!! :)

#47,543 ·
went to the terrace bar at the W hotel last night for a couple drinks.

#47,546 ·
Just got back in. I'd say that my day render of the base is around 60% done and it will take about two hours to finish. After that I will start the night render, with back-lighting. I could make the lighting any color, but I'm going to stick with white like the actual tower will be most of the time. I'm thinking of posting them at the same time so that you can compare them. I looked at lots of pictures of the tower and I decided that the glass is an off-shade of olive. Nearly all glass is green due to iron oxide. The reason we see this so well in the fins is the thickness. It works just the same as when you look at the edge of a glass pane in a table or display shelf.

Here is a teaser made when I was experimenting with the panel's materials in another file. The final result uses the olive grass, this test sample uses a darker green. The main difference between this panel and the actual thing is the thickness of the glass fins. Because I needed to get the render started I'll save that for another day and I just made the glass darker to achieve the same results.

Panel day by PMadFlyer, on Flickr

Tomorrow morning I'll try to get up early enough to complete the first few steps needed to produce a rendered video of the unlit spire alone. If that goes well the rings will follow. I really wish I could render the whole thing, but instead I could accomplish many more things in the same time.

#47,548 ·
Guys, I just found out that the plan is to turn on the Beacon AND the mast/spire facade lighting at the same time on July 4th, using temporary power as all of the electrical rooms in the building are not complete yet.

No word yet on specifics, but it sounds like they are planning on some type of ceremony when they light it up for the first time. Special guests, famous singer, countdown, etc.
If something has made me happy after me having suffered the scratching-out of the radome, it is that they celebrate July 4th in such a way :) It will be a very beautiful day for New York. :cheers:

#47,551 ·
After being a VERY long time lurker her at skyscrapercity and seeing the progress of 1 WTC from the very beginning I can't say how good it is to finally see it early complete plus how the information some of you guys have s simply incredible!! Being around 10 when 9/11 happened I can tell you all how the tragedy affected my generations upbringing from the relatively safety of the 90s!!! However I am also pleased to say that I will be going to New York in December this year and hope to see a very big progression on the WTC site including 2 and 3!! I have a panasonic tz-30 camera which I have just purchased and am wondering whether this will be adequate for the city??
Thanks and I hope to share more on the word trade center with you!

#47,556 ·
^^ That´s Exchange Place in Jersey City. One subway stop via PATH from the WTC site. It also houses the famous Katyn Memorial, which was shown in many WTC updates, and close to the Goldman Sachs HQ there is a steel beam from the original WTC towers. It´s heavily bent and decorated with flags, writing, stuffed toys etc. The Plaza from the Grand Hyatt has a sun clock and offers spectacular views over LM and midtown. :)