daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Sunderland and Durham

Sunderland and Durham For Sunderland, Washington, County Durham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #181
horokeio
Ma nishma?

Likes (Received): 82

There often seems to be quite a lot of youths in and around the Galleries, so that bodes well, as does the McDonalds/Subway area of the centre being probably the busiest part. Hope it takes off.
horokeio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #182
horokeio
Ma nishma?

Walking through town yesterday it was nice to see the sparkling new JD and Bank units, with boards up at the old Barratts shop (H Samuel and Shakeaholic), and at the new Modelzone and Maplins stores. I was disappointed by Windows - although very welcome, it's clear it was a last minute arrangement to shift some CDs and DVDs in the run-up to Christmas, albeit one that might blossom into them taking a larger unit and stocking the kinds of things for which the Central Arcade shop is renowned.

To pick up on a general point made by YM about floor space and the shortage of larger floor plates in Sunderland deterring desirable retailers from committing to the city, why have Land Securities chopped so many larger Bridges stores in half? First there was the old Internacionale/Post Office unit, then the old Dorothy Perkins/MK One, now Barratts. I presume money is the answer, but it seems very short sighted if what YM has said is the case?
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #183
YorkshireMackem

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by horokeio View Post
Walking through town yesterday it was nice to see the sparkling new JD and Bank units, with boards up at the old Barratts shop (H Samuel and Shakeaholic), and at the new Modelzone and Maplins stores. I was disappointed by Windows - although very welcome, it's clear it was a last minute arrangement to shift some CDs and DVDs in the run-up to Christmas, albeit one that might blossom into them taking a larger unit and stocking the kinds of things for which the Central Arcade shop is renowned.

To pick up on a general point made by YM about floor space and the shortage of larger floor plates in Sunderland deterring desirable retailers from committing to the city, why have Land Securities chopped so many larger Bridges stores in half? First there was the old Internacionale/Post Office unit, then the old Dorothy Perkins/MK One, now Barratts. I presume money is the answer, but it seems very short sighted if what YM has said is the case?
I think its probably as a result of who wants what at what time. If a retailer with a smaller requirement comes along, its difficult for Land Sec to say no and so they have to accommodate them anyway they can.

When I was talking about retailers wanting a big floorplate, im mainly referring to the big high street stores such as M&S, Primark, Debenhams, BHS, House of Fraser, John Lewis, etc. These retailers tend to have multiple floors with a large range of types of goods i.e. Home, Clothing, Shoes, Furniture, Lighting, etc. Many of the retailers in the Bridges fit into the smaller units because they are that type of shop.

From what I heard, M&S were looking for larger premises in the Holmeside development, and we have obviously seen Primark's proposed move into bigger premises in the Bridges. Its fair to say that if any other big retailer wanted to move into the city, they would find it difficult to find big enough premises, and therefore I think this is what will bring about another Bridges development.
YorkshireMackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #184
denm

Likes (Received): 1878

YM, --I noticed you mentioned that M&S wanted larger premises in the Holmeside Development, ---but do you know, if there is interest from other bigger retailers ---to move into the Bridges, --if --it was to be expanded into the Crowtree Centre. cheers.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #185
horokeio
Ma nishma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireMackem View Post
I think its probably as a result of who wants what at what time. If a retailer with a smaller requirement comes along, its difficult for Land Sec to say no and so they have to accommodate them anyway they can.

When I was talking about retailers wanting a big floorplate, im mainly referring to the big high street stores such as M&S, Primark, Debenhams, BHS, House of Fraser, John Lewis, etc. These retailers tend to have multiple floors with a large range of types of goods i.e. Home, Clothing, Shoes, Furniture, Lighting, etc. Many of the retailers in the Bridges fit into the smaller units because they are that type of shop.

From what I heard, M&S were looking for larger premises in the Holmeside development, and we have obviously seen Primark's proposed move into bigger premises in the Bridges. Its fair to say that if any other big retailer wanted to move into the city, they would find it difficult to find big enough premises, and therefore I think this is what will bring about another Bridges development.

Thanks for your view, I suppose it makes sense that retailers new to Sunderland would want a place in the Bridges. Interesting about M&S - their current store must've been there for generations.
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #186
horokeio
Ma nishma?

Big names bring 20million to The Bridges

THE Bridges shopping centre is defying the downturn – with more than 20million people passing through over a six month period.

Figures from owners Land Securities show the Bridges centre has seen average spend on non-food items rise by 20 per cent in the last six months.

The rise was revealed as the company unveiled its performance figures for the six months to the end of October.

Land Securities’ portfolio director Gerald Jennings said the company was pleased with the results.

He said: “Confidence is evident in the Bridges.

“We’ve seen more than 21 million visits this year – with the average shopper spending 61 minutes in the centre and visiting 71 times a year.

“Land Securities has spent a great deal of time listening to what its customers’ needs are, how they’re changing and what retailers they want brought to Sunderland. The increasing number of shoppers we’re attracting and the fact that spend is increasing demonstrates that our active asset management strategy is working for our Sunderland customers.”

This year has seen the centre attract household names such as Bank, Pandora, Modelzone, Maplin, and Disney.

They have also created new and better stores for existing successful retailers JD Sports and H. Samuel.

More than 40,000sq ft has been let in the Bridges in recent months, taking the centre to almost 99 per cent capacity.

Last week Land Securities submitted a planning application for its proposed £15million extension of the Bridges, with a three-storey 60,000sq ft Primark store the main element. This would be double the size of the clothing firm’s existing store in Fawcett Street.

The extension will also create a new entrance to the centre on High Street West.

Bridges portfolio manager Jonathan Buckle said: “We’re really keen to strengthen the centre’s reputation as one of the best shopping and fashion destinations in the North East.

“Therefore we need to continually improve the retail mix and shopping environment within the Bridges, which will ultimately help us make Sunderland a more attractive retail destination to shoppers.”

Nationally, Land Securities made a £455.3million pre-tax profit in the six months to the end of October.

Full article: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/l...dges_1_2756461
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #187
sterock85

Likes (Received): 266

The M&S in Sunderland currently is very poor in relation to those at Newcastle & the Metrocentre.

Twitter @SteMartPhotos

Future Sunderland Facebook page |https://www.facebook.com/Future-Sund...7403661819142/
sterock85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #188
horokeio
Ma nishma?

Agreed, though I only ever use the food hall. Nice building though, full of character.
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #189
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 553

Welcome to Sunderland:

Old November 16th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #190
mackem35

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Welcome to Sunderland:

The sad thing it isn't the worst place. I am planning to go down that way so might take my camera and find some better examples. I have been checking stuff on here for ages but finally got around to getting a login. It seems a friendly place it is just a pity that more of the ideas are not taken notice of.
mackem35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #191
sterock85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackem35 View Post
The sad thing it isn't the worst place. I am planning to go down that way so might take my camera and find some better examples. I have been checking stuff on here for ages but finally got around to getting a login. It seems a friendly place it is just a pity that more of the ideas are not taken notice of.
Welcome!

nice to see a new member on here

Twitter @SteMartPhotos

Future Sunderland Facebook page |https://www.facebook.com/Future-Sund...7403661819142/
Old November 16th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #192
kingdom bhoy

Likes (Received): 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackem35 View Post
Good to have you on board.
kingdom bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #193
br5968

Likes (Received): 117

I was intrigued by the line in the Property Week article Yorkshire Mackem posted about 'changing the tenant mix' at the High Street West end of the Bridges off the back of Primark. Does this point to Tesco or Iceland (or both?) moving on? Certainly now the bus station's not in the centre, there's no real driver for them to stay where they are given they'd probably trade just as well in a less central location (say Blandford Street?)

I see from Graham Soult's blog that Boyes have opened in Bishop Auckland. The old Leveys/Ethel Austin shop would be a good location for them in Sunderland, or failing that, Primark's current site.
br5968 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #194
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1617

Sunderland shopping centre plans unveiled
November 17th 2010, by Peter McCusker, The Journal

THE owner of a popular North East shopping centre has unveiled £15m expansion plans as its latest results show growth returning to the sector.

Land Securities has submitted a planning application to Sunderland City Council for an extension to the city-centre Bridges. This will include a 60,000sq ft Primark store, doubling the size of the existing outlet, as well as a new entrance on High Street West.

If permission is granted, work is anticipated to start next year and is likely to create about 150 construction jobs.

Jonathan Buckle, portfolio manager for The Bridges, said: “We’re really keen to strengthen the centre’s reputation as one of the best shopping and fashion destinations in the North East. “Therefore, we need to continually improve the retail mix and shopping environment.”

Gerald Jennings, Land Securities’ portfolio director, said: “Confidence is evident in the Bridges, Sunderland. “We’ve welcomed more than 21 million Sunderland shoppers to the Bridges this year with the average shopper spending 61 minutes in the centre and visiting 71 times a year. Spend per visit on non-food related items has also increased by 20%.”

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerci...1140-27666009/
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #195
sterock85

Quote:
Originally Posted by br5968 View Post
I was intrigued by the line in the Property Week article Yorkshire Mackem posted about 'changing the tenant mix' at the High Street West end of the Bridges off the back of Primark. Does this point to Tesco or Iceland (or both?) moving on? Certainly now the bus station's not in the centre, there's no real driver for them to stay where they are given they'd probably trade just as well in a less central location (say Blandford Street?)

I see from Graham Soult's blog that Boyes have opened in Bishop Auckland. The old Leveys/Ethel Austin shop would be a good location for them in Sunderland, or failing that, Primark's current site.
Could be, certainly feel that will this development those supermarket's may be more suitable in another location.

Would like to see a Waitrose in Sunderland. It is obviously an expensive shop, but it sells stuff that is hard to find elsewhere. Obviously this leads to a whole discussion on what shops would b useful to people shopping in Sunderland.

Welcome to the forum by the way, hope you will post on a regular basis, the more members the better!

Twitter @SteMartPhotos

Old November 18th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #196
br5968

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterock85 View Post
Could be, certainly feel that will this development those supermarket's may be more suitable in another location.
Absolutely - it opens up some of the bigger units up there to fashion use in the longer term - the Toymaster unit, Tescos and Iceland. Tesco has first floor trading space too - there used to be escalators up to a 'home and wear' section years ago. That could actually be a pretty big unit for a fashion retailer. Wonder if they might fancy moving on when the Extra opens at Roker - perhaps to somewhere nearer the Interchange. Def still a market for a town centre supermarket to serve students and pensioners.

Similarly, I think I'm right in saying that back in the days when Iceland was the Job Centre they had stairs up to a first floor level.

Still, we should count ourselves lucky we're down to two supermarkets in The Bridges - I still remember the two Prestos
br5968 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #197
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by br5968 View Post
Absolutely - it opens up some of the bigger units up there to fashion use in the longer term - the Toymaster unit, Tescos and Iceland. Tesco has first floor trading space too - there used to be escalators up to a 'home and wear' section years ago. That could actually be a pretty big unit for a fashion retailer. Wonder if they might fancy moving on when the Extra opens at Roker - perhaps to somewhere nearer the Interchange. Def still a market for a town centre supermarket to serve students and pensioners.

Similarly, I think I'm right in saying that back in the days when Iceland was the Job Centre they had stairs up to a first floor level.

Still, we should count ourselves lucky we're down to two supermarkets in The Bridges - I still remember the two Prestos

Regarding Tesco/Iceland moving, ---I agree, I think small supermarkets could be incorporated into new plans for the Holmeside Development area, --and preferably not too far from Park Lane, --btw, welcome to the Forum br 5968.
Old November 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #198
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1976 View Post
It seems like it would be a big development whichever site they develop.

It will be nice to shop at Asda in Boldon if both this site and the Roker site become supermarkets. Boldon is a nightmare at christmas. I believe the Asda in Boldon is one of the most lucrative stores in the country for Asda, it will be nice for it to have some competition - it's had no real competition since Emlyn Hughes opended the store in 1987.

We were at our Daughters (in Boldon) a few years ago , --it was on a Christmas Eve, ---when we went with her to Asda, ---well, --I have never seen anything like it, ---it was bedlam, --all the isles were clogged with trolleys, no one could move, --it was gridlocked, --some people were walking on top of trolleys to get through, ---we saw to fights break out, ---we were pleased to get out, ---I don't know what it is with folk when Christmas comes around, ---they seem to get a siege mentality,and have to stock up, ---I said then, --never again, ---now we get our shopping delivered.
Old November 18th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #199
architect1976
Architect

Likes (Received): 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm View Post
We were at our Daughters (in Boldon) a few years ago , --it was on a Christmas Eve, ---when we went with her to Asda, ---well, --I have never seen anything like it, ---it was bedlam, --all the isles were clogged with trolleys, no one could move, --it was gridlocked, --some people were walking on top of trolleys to get through, ---we saw to fights break out, ---we were pleased to get out, ---I don't know what it is with folk when Christmas comes around, ---they seem to get a siege mentality,and have to stock up, ---I said then, --never again, ---now we get our shopping delivered.
I've never seen the point in it at all, they are only closed for two days. When I was a student I worked for Asda so I know when they are busy and when they are quiet, generally you have no bother the weekend before xmas as everyone is shopping for gifts, and then the last few days everyone hords food like a war has just broken out. The quietest time of the year is between xmas and new year as everyone is overstocked. It's great.

I might give the home delivery a go this year and avoid the whole damn thing.

Where does all the home delivery food come from? Will we start to see automated supermarket depot's springing up all over the country which only cater for home delivery?
architect1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #200
JetStreak
Born in Durham

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1976 View Post
I've never seen the point in it at all, they are only closed for two days. When I was a student I worked for Asda so I know when they are busy and when they are quiet, generally you have no bother the weekend before xmas as everyone is shopping for gifts, and then the last few days everyone hords food like a war has just broken out. The quietest time of the year is between xmas and new year as everyone is overstocked. It's great.

I might give the home delivery a go this year and avoid the whole damn thing.

Where does all the home delivery food come from? Will we start to see automated supermarket depot's springing up all over the country which only cater for home delivery?
I think online orders tend to be fulfilled by the local supermarket. But I suspect this isn't very efficient once orders grow. Something like you suggest seems likely, a distribution centre around Durham on the A1 or A19 would seem suitable to serve Newcastle down to Middlesborough. Ocado seem to be doing well by just focussing on this model.
JetStreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
north east england, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, shopping