search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Sunderland and Durham

Sunderland and Durham For Sunderland, Washington, County Durham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #201
kingdom bhoy

Likes (Received): 405

The Bridges was very busy last night with the Christmas lights switch on.
kingdom bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #202
denm

Likes (Received): 1771

Regarding deliveries, --not sure ---but I think if we get shopping from Tesco, ----I think it comes from their Team Valley warehouse, ----as for Asda, ---not sure if the order comes from one of their superstores, ----will ask the next time we get a delivery.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #203
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdom bhoy View Post
The Bridges was very busy last night with the Christmas lights switch on.

Aye, ---there was thousands turned out to see Darren Bent switch the lights on, ---there was a bit on the SSN last night.
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #204
horokeio
Ma nishma?

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Welcome to Sunderland:

The monstrous TJ Hughes building is far worse than the station itself. From a distance it resembles something from Sellafield, up close it's got a terrifying Ministry of Truth vibe. That said, I really like Phoneix House.
horokeio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #205
horokeio
Ma nishma?

I picked up the whole seven season box set of the West Wing on DVD for just £29.99 in Windows yesterday, absolute bargain. Think it was about £65 in HMV last Christmastime.
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #206
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by horokeio View Post
I picked up the whole seven season box set of the West Wing on DVD for just £29.99 in Windows yesterday, absolute bargain. Think it was about £65 in HMV last Christmastime.
Good prices those, ----is the shop doing well?
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #207
horokeio
Ma nishma?

It was slightly quieter when I went in yesterday, but that was quite late on. I imagine it's doing well enough to stay open beyond Christmas, and hopefully move to a larger premises!
Old November 26th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #208
denm

Quote:
It was slightly quieter when I went in yesterday, but that was quite late on. I imagine it's doing well enough to stay open beyond Christmas, and hopefully move to a larger premises!

I was wondering if this was just temporary for Windows, ----hope they do well and get bigger premises, ---thanks.
Old November 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #209
Le Chuck

Likes (Received): 17

The old Ethal Austin store on Blanford St is to be occupied by;

http://www.storetwentyone.co.uk/
Le Chuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #210
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1547

NB - A copy of the below article has also been posted on the "COUNTY DURHAM DEVELOPMENTS" thread, in the Communal Area of the NE Forum . . .

Tesco hopes new shop in Stanley, will make 400 jobs
November 30th 2010, by Neil McKay, Evening Chronicle

TESCO is planning a new store which they say will revamp a run-down town centre and create 400 new jobs.

Durham County Council planning officers were to have recommended members approve the plans for the store at Stanley today but the planning committee meeting was put back until next month due to the bad weather.

The Tesco Extra will be one of the first in a new generation of environmentally-friendly eco stores. As well as food, the supermarket will offer shoppers clothing, electrical goods, DVDs and CDs. It is hoped it will be open by mid-2012.

At a public exhibition this year, attended by hundreds of locals, more than 94% who filled in a questionnaire said they supported the proposal.

Councillors will be told that eleven residents objected to the development on the grounds of access and parking, but officers are to recommend “that the objectors were not considered sufficient to justify refusal of the application.”

Planning officers will advise council members that the new store “will enhance Stanley town centre by replacing an existing retail park which has a poor appearance with a large modern building which will enhance the appearance of the town centre and will draw people into the town centre. The scheme represents significant investment in Stanley which will widen retail choice and contribute to the regeneration of the area.”

North Durham MP Kevan Jones is also backing the scheme to revitalise the Clifford Road area of Stanley.

Mr Jones said: “I am confident that this development will be of great benefit to my constituents.”

To maximise use of the town centre site, the store will be on stilts with shoppers entering the store via travellators linking the ground floor car park to the store above. There will also be a cafe on a mezzanine floor.

Under and around the store there will be 550 car parking spaces, including 28 disabled and 24 parent and child.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz16mcCkjE1
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:36 AM   #211
denm

Think this is very good news for Stanley, --- 400 jobs has to be good for the area.
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:06 PM   #212
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chuck View Post
The old Ethal Austin store on Blanford St is to be occupied by;

http://www.storetwentyone.co.uk/

Store 21 took over Woolies in Houghton, ---they opened at the beginning of the year, ---seems this Company is expanding, --and has a couple of hundred Stores Nationwide, --- I'm pleased that the Blanford Street shop will be occupied though.
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #213
Le Chuck

Likes (Received): 17

The shopping centre has signed deals with four new retailers, bringing the total of jobs created this year to 150.

The new contracts bring the total space let in the centre in 2010 to more than 66,800 sq ft,

Electrical giant Maplin has signed a 10-year deal and will begin trading in Sunderland this week in Market Square; while Model Zone, the high-street toys and miniature models store, has agreed a 10-year lease for a unit on Market Street Mall.

Popular retailer Past Times returns to the centre for the Christmas period, in a unit on Walworth Way North.

Budget retailer Poundworld will open its doors for the first time in Sunderland early next year after taking a store on Market Square Mall on a 10-year lease.

The new arrivals are not the only good news for the centre.

Fashion store USC has also renewed its commitment to the Bridges, by agreeing terms to remain in its existing store for a further five years.

And jeweller H Samuel has increased its floorspace by moving to a unit facing Walworth Way North and Walworth Way South.

Jonathan Buckle, Bridges portfolio manager at centre owner Land Securities, said: “These four new deals come quick off the back of JD and Bank opening, and follow in a long line of new retailers that we’ve introduced to the Bridges this year, such as Starbucks, Schuh, Pandora, Disney and Blue Inc.

“What’s more, we’re in a great position whereby retailers are renegotiating deals to ensure they remain within the centre, and upsizing because they’re beating trading expectations.

“Not only is consumer confidence evident in Sunderland, we’re confident and to demonstrate this we’re striving ahead with continuing asset management and our expansion plans to bring Primark within the centre to keep the retail offer fresh and relevant.”

Michael Fawley, of letting agents Fawley Watson Booth, added: “The Bridges attracted a footfall of more than 21million last year.

“On average, shoppers spend 61 minutes in the centre per visit and visit 71 times a year.

“Spend per visit on non-food related items has also increased by 20 per cent, from £33.35 in the previous year to £40.

“This clearly demonstrates the strong retailer mix is an attractive offer to customers, and a solid benefit to retailers also.”

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/l...ants_1_2825599

Also the old JD store is to be occupied by
http://www.thediscoverystore.co.uk/
Le Chuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #214
denm

Thats really good news marra, ---especially in today's economic climate, ----Seems though the Bridges are going from strength to strength, -----there can't be many vacant units left now, ---thanks for the information marra.
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #215
architect1976
Architect

Likes (Received): 268

Might pop up and have look at Maplin's, been years since I've been in one.
architect1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #216
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1976 View Post
Might pop up and have look at Maplin's, been years since I've been in one.

I've never been in a Maplins store, ---whats the prices like, --are they reasonable?
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #217
shiggy

Likes (Received): 0

anyone know who has taken the former O'Brians unit on Elvet Bridge, Durham.
shiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #218
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
anyone know who has taken the former O'Brians unit on Elvet Bridge, Durham.

Haven't read or heard anything about this marra, ---but will keep a look out, --btw, good to have a new poster on board, keep posting, cheers.
Old January 5th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #219
horokeio
Ma nishma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm View Post
I've never been in a Maplins store, ---whats the prices like, --are they reasonable?

I heard they had a reputation for being quite expensive, but when I called in at the weekend they had a fair amount of good deals, though I thought their range (for what I was looking for) was a bit limited.

Good to see Sunderland's new arrivals - Modelzone, Bank, Discovery, Windows - fairly busy throughout the festive period.
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #220
denm

Quote:
I heard they had a reputation for being quite expensive, but when I called in at the weekend they had a fair amount of good deals, though I thought their range (for what I was looking for) was a bit limited.

Good to see Sunderland's new arrivals - Modelzone, Bank, Discovery, Windows - fairly busy throughout the festive period.

Yeah we passed some of those units---and they did seem to be doing well, --which is good to see.

Tags
north east england, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, shopping