daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Indianapolis

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2017, 03:09 AM   #641
rnimry

Likes (Received): 338

rnimry no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2017, 07:01 PM   #642
rnimry

JohnIndy liked this post
Old November 21st, 2017, 04:45 AM   #643
cstasila

Likes (Received): 53

360 Market Pool & Terrace

CorrND, JohnIndy, VVisconsin08 liked this post
cstasila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 03:10 AM   #644
rnimry

Old November 29th, 2017, 05:37 AM   #645
fashionking

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnimry View Post
I kind of wish it was capped now all the way across...no hole..the more I drive by Cummins/360 Market on Maryland.. something just seems blah.. I can't describe it.. it might be just driving on that angle.. its like the triangular lot, then the park area of Cummins.. then the construction in the front of the City County building..its like it all rises from desolation..
fashionking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 03:30 PM   #646
dtIndydweller

Likes (Received): 180

Previous renderings had shown trees sticking out of the openings. I'm hoping this is still the case and hasn't been cut through value engineering. The trees may help to fill in the gaping hole that is going to let the elevator shaft, stairs and mechanicals show on the roof..... a pet peeve of mine, and the mechanicals are not even in a symetrical place, they are east of center..... another pet peeve. Tree may make it look a little greener. Who knows how much more F&C has "bastardized" this.

IndyJohn liked this post

Last edited by dtIndydweller; November 29th, 2017 at 11:22 PM.
dtIndydweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 05:24 AM   #647
indyurban

Likes (Received): 80

Finished Rendering of the 360:

Good building that could have been great had they kept the original plans. It looks like it's nodding to Salesforce Tower when it should have been nodding to the JW like before.

VVisconsin08 liked this post
indyurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:28 AM   #648
Lmichigan

Likes (Received): 1607

Just been kind of lurking on this one, but I'm genuinely surprised by the dramatic disappointment in this tower, given that to my eyes the changes seem relatively minor, particularly as changes in projects often go. This is a sleek and sophisticated glass tower just about any city in the country would love to have, either as a signature building or as filler. I understand small criticisms for the changes, but they hardly destroy the original intent of the tower.

If I have any criticism of the thing is that maybe the podium could have used some higher-quality finishes and materials, and that this is the kind of design that looks better at a height as twice as tall as this building. Other than that, you guys could have easily gotten some shapeless and generic glass box. I'm actually disappointed more in the campus across the street, which looks like it belongs outside a downtown area.
Lmichigan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #649
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae

Likes (Received): 187

Thanks for the outside perspective. I think people here get very critical. We study renderings and when the building doesn't turn out like the rendering we get disappointed. Truth is, most buildings don't look exactly like their renderings.... renderings use visual tricks to make the buildings look more appealing. But in real life, I still like this building. Glad Indy is getting curvaceous towers now to offset all of the boxes that were so prominent in the past
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #650
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmichigan View Post
Just been kind of lurking on this one, but I'm genuinely surprised by the dramatic disappointment in this tower, given that to my eyes the changes seem relatively minor, particularly as changes in projects often go. This is a sleek and sophisticated glass tower just about any city in the country would love to have, either as a signature building or as filler. I understand small criticisms for the changes, but they hardly destroy the original intent of the tower.

If I have any criticism of the thing is that maybe the podium could have used some higher-quality finishes and materials, and that this is the kind of design that looks better at a height as twice as tall as this building. Other than that, you guys could have easily gotten some shapeless and generic glass box. I'm actually disappointed more in the campus across the street, which looks like it belongs outside a downtown area.
I agree. Street level is disconnected from the tower.

And Cummins should have been twice as tall on half the block. It has the same suburban office park feel as the upper Canal IU SOM/IU Health cluster.
cdc guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #651
Paul1712

Likes (Received): 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
I agree. Street level is disconnected from the tower.

And Cummins should have been twice as tall on half the block. It has the same suburban office park feel as the upper Canal IU SOM/IU Health cluster.
I really hope they are just land banking that back corner.

Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
Paul1712 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #652
JohnM Indy

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmichigan View Post

I think the issue is that it's such a penny-pinching change, and nobody likes being gaslighted about the reasons--the nonsense about how it ties everything together, and that they were suddenly shocked to learn that there would be mechanical on the roof (the Regions Tower hides that stuff just fine). For a relatively small cost they could have made the tower look much better. One thing that I have noticed is that the building looks great on sunny days such as today and in the above rendering, but on typically gray winter days, the drab finish at the top really stands out.

Overall, though, I like it and I'm glad to finally see something there, 20 years after construction began on MSA's replacement.

IndyJohn, pig, randella liked this post
JohnM Indy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #653
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1712 View Post
I really hope they are just land banking that back corner.
I really hope they built the parking garage so that another building could rise on top of it, similar to CityWay Phase 2.

Alas, the landscaped courtyard at Washington & Alabama ties to the new Lugar Plaza at the CCB and to the Transit Center (and to "Presidents Park" across Washington). There will be howls of complaint if anyone ever suggests that "greenspace" should be lost.
cdc guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #654
Paul1712

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
I really hope they built the parking garage so that another building could rise on top of it, similar to CityWay Phase 2.

Alas, the landscaped courtyard at Washington & Alabama ties to the new Lugar Plaza at the CCB and to the Transit Center (and to "Presidents Park" across Washington). There will be howls of complaint if anyone ever suggests that "greenspace" should be lost.
Possibly but I feel like it wouldn't be a big deal for a few reasons:

1. Fairly new so no long time romanticism about some block of grass
2. Inside the mile square
3. No real local homeowner constituency. Sure there are now apartments around and those people might come to defend it BUT hell hath no fury like a pissed off homeowner.
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #655
JohnM Indy

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1712 View Post
Possibly but I feel like it wouldn't be a big deal for a few reasons:

1. Fairly new so no long time romanticism about some block of grass
2. Inside the mile square
3. No real local homeowner constituency. Sure there are now apartments around and those people might come to defend it BUT hell hath no fury like a pissed off homeowner.
All of those things are true of Kahlo Bluff, the featureless manmade hill across the canal from the Indiana History Center, but it didn't stop unwitting sprawl advocate Clarke Kahlo from pretending it is on par with Yosemite.

IndyJohn, cdc guy, cstasila liked this post
JohnM Indy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #656
Paul1712

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM Indy View Post
All of those things are true of Kahlo Bluff, the featureless manmade hill across the canal from the Indiana History Center, but it didn't stop unwitting sprawl advocate Clarke Kahlo from pretending it is on par with Yosemite.
Point taken
Old December 5th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #657
randella

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday_Bloody_Sundae View Post
Thanks for the outside perspective. I think people here get very critical. We study renderings and when the building doesn't turn out like the rendering we get disappointed. Truth is, most buildings don't look exactly like their renderings.... renderings use visual tricks to make the buildings look more appealing. But in real life, I still like this building. Glad Indy is getting curvaceous towers now to offset all of the boxes that were so prominent in the past
i agree completely. renderings often do use little tricks to make the building more dramatic or otherwise put it in its best perspective and lighting. absolutely nothing wrong with that. it's a glamour shot. if you look at the finished rendering for this tower, notice how they are highlighting lines in the crown that are much less noticeable in real life? if the crown had the horizontal bands more articulated as in the rendering, it would actually help.

i take issue when there are dramatic changes to the design that are kept hidden until it's built. i was fully expecting the *first* value engineered design. it wasn't as great as the original, but it kept the spirit of the design. then the developer quietly cut an entire floor off the top, dropped the glass, and turned the rooftop terrace into what looks like little more than a mechanical floor.

that said, i'm warming up to it more now that the shock has worn off.
randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 07:33 PM   #658
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 358

Making an impact and expanding the skyline. Photo by me.

The EDM Student
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 08:10 PM   #659
dpconnection

Likes (Received): 155

The random gaps on the garage siding (on 3 of the 4 sides) looks pretty awful. Just looks undone.

bigIndy liked this post
dpconnection no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #660
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

The 2015 Regional Center petition for Cummins includes a note that the SW corner is reserved for future development:
Specifically, this request would provide for a ten-story, 165,000-square-foot office building, plaza space and a 404-space parking garage. The tower would be sited along Market Street, with a three-story parking garage along New Jersey Street and Washington Street. A public plaza would be located interior to the site. The southwest portion of the site would be reserved for future development.

Tags
360 market square, indianapolis