daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Sri Lanka > Construction Projects

Construction Projects Updating construction projects be it proposed, u/c or completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #21
mrpanini

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by great india View Post
^Man you guys really hate us.
And Saraprobe, since you "dont trust Indian project until I see them", here look at Mumbai. All Indian projects completed, U/C and many supertalls.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1234

Anyways, when this is built, it will look great. The design is very nice! And the best part is the cladding!
I wouldn't call it hate. Strong skepticism is more like it.

Over the years many Indian companies have come to SL, announced various construction and other projects with a lot of big talk & fanfare, and then nothing further has been done. In other words there has been a lot of big talk, and very little action and actual results.

But to be fair, big talk and little action has been a Sri Lankan trait also.
mrpanini no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #22
flyinfishjoe
Mangalorean

Likes (Received): 10

If this is really a L&T project, then of course it will come up. L&T is the best Indian developer there is. I can't wait to see the look on the faces of you "skeptics" when this gets built.
Old August 20th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #23
mrpanini

http://www.poncedeleonarchitects.com...royecto_id=147
website says these sketches were done in 2008 when the project was announced.
Old August 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #24
mrpanini

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfishjoe View Post

If this is really a L&T project, then of course it will come up. L&T is the best Indian developer there is. I can't wait to see the look on the faces of you "skeptics" when this gets built.
From the news article about L&T Chief Operating Officer Vishal Mathur's visit to Sri Lanka in April 2008 at which time he announced:

- he was keen in investment road construction, high rise buildings, apartments and hotels, power generation and engineering projects in the North.
Reality: nothing has happened

- they hope to start work on Diamond Tower by the end of 2008 and complete it in 2011
Reality: pretty much nothing has happened

- he was keen to invest in the proposed Colombo-Kandy Highway project.

http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2010/04/25/fin02.asp
Old August 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #25
saraprobe

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanini View Post
From the news article about L&T Chief Operating Officer Vishal Mathur's visit to Sri Lanka in April 2008 at which time he announced:

- he was keen in investment road construction, high rise buildings, apartments and hotels, power generation and engineering projects in the North.

- they hope to start work on Diamond Tower by the end of 2008 and complete it in 2011

Awesome
saraprobe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #26
saraprobe

Another bogus announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanini View Post

I wasted my time uploading this
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #27
acriyaz

Likes (Received): 1

the award goes to .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraprobe View Post

i wasted my time watching this video our polticians are far better actors then bollywood and hollywood... the award goes to ...
acriyaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 05:54 AM   #28
Skyler
Far away from CMB

Likes (Received): 7

What did you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acriyaz View Post
i wasted my time watching this video our polticians are far better actors then bollywood and hollywood... the award goes to ...
Who is talking about political here. Former Prime Minister Rathanasiri wickramanayake was the invited guest for the event.He is not the developer.This fake "film" is directed produced and also showed by this Indian developing companies that's what we were talking above.But I hope these towers will be rise soon. And Also, no one wont to worry about our Politicians.
Skyler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:38 AM   #29
lordvader

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:

These are competely different projects. Your video was for the SuchirNEB 60 storey tower near the Parliament. The Diamond Tower is in Colombo.

Whilst L&T havent done anything in SL, they are actually legit when compared to the likes of SuchirNEB. L&T operate some of India's vital infrastructure like ports and airports so its probably a delay on the Lankan side which has caused this project to stall. The same however cant be said for SuchirNEB and other projects. And these projects arent just Indian projects!
lordvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 06:12 PM   #30
tig

Likes (Received): 70

WOW just visited their sites, they have built airport, bridges, buildings, nuclear power plants, dams equipments for defense and aerospace(rocket hanger). They are kick ass company. I think the problem is from our side. What happened to Dawson ? and Suchir NEB ? : (
tig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:42 AM   #31
saraprobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
WOW just visited their sites, they have built airport, bridges, buildings, nuclear power plants, dams equipments for defense and aerospace(rocket hanger). They are kick ass company. I think the problem is from our side. What happened to Dawson ? and Suchir NEB ? : (
I doubt,,, well economy doing well and they cant expect same scale of income as oppese to india due to population,, like PB. Jayasundara said GOSL cant alone do everything Private sector must take charge ,,, just like local companies(JHK, Browns, LOLC,, AS, DCSL, Softlogic, etc) done so far expect Indian once,, I must say Cains India excluded in that list
Old August 22nd, 2011, 02:55 AM   #32
lordvader

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
Dawson is owned by Keangnam of Korea which has done numerous property projects in SL and internationally before. So they are legit as well. Not sure why these projects are being held up.

However I doubt SuchirNEB will ever be built LOL.
lordvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:58 PM   #33
tig

Quote:
I doubt,,, well economy doing well and they cant expect same scale of income as oppese to india due to population,, like PB. Jayasundara said GOSL cant alone do everything Private sector must take charge ,,, just like local companies(JHK, Browns, LOLC,, AS, DCSL, Softlogic, etc) done so far expect Indian once,, I must say Cains India excluded in that list
true, i think we all want tall skyscrapers in Sri lanka, dont care whether it is full or empty. Long as the skyline looks good
Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:59 PM   #34
tig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Dawson is owned by Keangnam of Korea which has done numerous property projects in SL and internationally before. So they are legit as well. Not sure why these projects are being held up.

However I doubt SuchirNEB will ever be built LOL.
We just want to have a tallest building in south asia atleast for awhile
Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:16 PM   #35
nathannash803
nathannash803

Likes (Received): 6

i think it bout time to give up on this project, let someone else takeover the this prime land and do something useful
nathannash803 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #36
kumar4

Likes (Received): 0

L&T

Yes he tried to undertake some construction including Colombo - Kandy highway. L&T was so keen to invest in some of our mega projects. But the government was very negative & very slow in doing things. So L&T realized it is very difficult to deal with Sri Lankan government. Its not L&T's fault. Don't forget L&T is called "Nation Builders" in India. They are the largest construction, engineering & manufacturing company in India. They are even in to nuclear power.
The delay with Diamond Tower is also not in L&T's side. The land which L&T bought for construction of Diamond Tower was belong to NHDA. But NHDA hesitate to give 100% ownership to L&T since its a foreign company. (you know NHDA is under which minister) even though L&T has already paid Rupees 1.3 Billion to the NHDA. That problem is still not solved. L&T has decided to hold the project till they come to a settlement with the government. I think this issue should go to the President Mahinda Rajapaksha. I am sure he will solve this problem wisely as he is a good leader and very keen on foreign investment.
Once L&T starts the project they will complete it within 3 years. They will not depend on customers money to do construction like Celestial & John Keells. They have all the resources & money to do that.
kumar4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #37
tallbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
Who is talking about political here. Former Prime Minister Rathanasiri wickramanayake was the invited guest for the event.He is not the developer.This fake "film" is directed produced and also showed by this Indian developing companies that's what we were talking above.But I hope these towers will be rise soon. And Also, no one wont to worry about our Politicians.
This is not a fake film. This is a real one. However, how does GOSL give these kind of Indian companies to build anything like the 70 storey tower, when this developer has not built anything more than a 4 storey building in their own turf. Surely some due diligence must be done before engaging these guys. Fault also lie on our side.
tallbuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #38
tallbuilder

Quote:
Awesome
The list can be further extended
1)40 storey apt along Galle Road by Ravi Jaipuria (who now owns the Pizza Hut franchise in SL)- Not built
2)TATA Housing- nothing built
3)Puravankara-nothing built
4)Apt. along Kirimandala Mw.-not built(only piling done)
5)Airport Hotel-Starwood-Sheraton(also by Suchir) not done
6) Gupta's affordable housing at Borella-Design done by DG-5-Not built
7)There was one more project at Bolgoda also by some Indian's-not built
tallbuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #39
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo

Likes (Received): 1577

very nice project for Sri Lanka...
CarltonHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:18 PM   #40
dunefreezer
Skyscraper Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 551

Never realized so much "skepticism" that Sri Lankans have towards the Indians. Us Indians should just stay in India. I'm sure the Sri Lankans can find somebody else, like the Koreans and especially the Chinese.

Samsung C&T has already entered the Indian market for constructing Supertalls. Its only a matter of time they will starting penetrating the Sri Lankan market. I think the Sri Lankans would be happy, so they can avoid the "Indians".

Some people will never understand L&T's potential and their style, because they never saw their finished products back in India. If they ever did, they wouldn't have the balls to say it again because of L&T's high standards in constructing structures. Some of their buildings look very futuristic.

Alright Enough of this, Wish this building gets built, even with another developer if they give up on L&T.

Last edited by dunefreezer; December 31st, 2011 at 08:25 PM.
dunefreezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote