daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013)

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > The Urban Tourist

The Urban Tourist For those who enjoy big city traveling

Old February 10th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6200

Want to Visit Space?

Commercial space flights possible in 2008: US official

WASHINGTON, Feb 9, 2006 (AFP) - Commercial passenger flights into space could be authorized in the United States by 2008, Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta told a group of space entrepreneurs Thursday.

Based on test flights of privately developed passenger spacecraft planned for next year, Mineta said, the department could issue licenses for commercial flights by 2008.

"The timeline isn't based on science fiction," he said in a statement released by the department.

"It is a timeline based on the reality of where commercial space is today and where we expect the state of commercial space to be within two short years."

"We will move quickly to green-light flights that we know are safe," he told the Ninth Annual Commercial Space Transportation Conference in Washington.

Mineta's comments came just months after SpaceShipOne, developed by US investors and space enthusiasts, snatched a 10 million dollar prize as the first private spacecraft to prove its mettle in two closely scheduled launches last October.

SpaceShipOne, developed by aviation pioneer Burt Rutan, also smashed the sub-orbital flight altitude record, reaching 112 kilometers (69.6 miles) in its nearly 90-minute second flight in five days.

In December, British Virgin Group tycoon Richard Branson announced plans to build a commercial spaceport in New Mexico to launch his new Virgin Galactic space tourism business based on a second-generation, eight-passenger SpaceShipTwo that Rutan is developing.

With the southwestern US state also putting money into the project, construction could start as early as this year.

Branson said Rutan's company, which is partly financed by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, plans to build five of the new spacecraft, as well as a launch vehicle for them.

The prototype is expected to be finished next year and test flights are to start in 2008, according to Virgin.

Tickets for the first flights, which could start in 2009-2010, are expected to cost about 200,000 dollars, and some 40,000 people have already signed up, the company said in December.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 10th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #2
empersouf

Likes (Received): 5

Hmm, why not. But i dont think I've enough money...
empersouf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #3
SJM

Likes (Received): 50

Now to just scrouge up 200 grand, (looks under couch pillows)
SJM está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water

Likes (Received): 7843

NO..ewht there 2 c anyway?
Intoxication no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water

Likes (Received): 7843

NO..wht there 2 c anyway?
Intoxication no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #6
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 2

never, i'd get sick
Zaqattaq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #7
MuddyZehbra32
You've got a friend in PA

Likes (Received): 0

oh, god...are they gonna let you go out in spacesuit and float around and whatnot? i think theyre are other things that are equally fun to do w/o having to spend that much money. but maybe i can put it on my life to do list
MuddyZehbra32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #8
Burnout 3
BANNED

i rather spend the Money on Something else like a house or a expensive Car. besides don't you have to do all those gut ranching test.
Burnout 3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #9
dmg1mn

I still have to visit most of earth.
dmg1mn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #10
xXx carlos xXx
nice guy high

Likes (Received): 1

i would love to..... its one of my dreams..... but i think ill do it when im already in my 30's or 40's.... and when the prizes go low..... heheheheh
xXx carlos xXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #11
jbkayaker12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

My boss is so cheap giving pay raises because he's putting all his money into his space shuttle and space hotel.
jbkayaker12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #12
GrigorisSokratis

Likes (Received): 2

jbkayaker12 I've heard that! I'm your boss! Now your're fired....

GrigorisSokratis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #13
chrishung
$$$

Low earth orbit on SpaceShipOne? No thanks! Only a few minutes staring at the dark sky floating around. I'd rather take a ride on the Russian soyuz to get to the ISS, although the ticket price will be in millions instead of thousands.
chrishung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #14
jbkayaker12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigorisSokratis
jbkayaker12 I've heard that! I'm your boss! Now your're fired....

Hhahahaaa kidding aside, he is selling all his properties (hes got many properties) real estate mogul. He has been featured on CNN. This guy is for real.
jbkayaker12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #15
xXx carlos xXx
nice guy high

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Commercial space flights possible in 2008: US official

WASHINGTON, Feb 9, 2006 (AFP) - Commercial passenger flights into space could be authorized in the United States by 2008, Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta told a group of space entrepreneurs Thursday.

Based on test flights of privately developed passenger spacecraft planned for next year, Mineta said, the department could issue licenses for commercial flights by 2008.

"The timeline isn't based on science fiction," he said in a statement released by the department.

"It is a timeline based on the reality of where commercial space is today and where we expect the state of commercial space to be within two short years."

"We will move quickly to green-light flights that we know are safe," he told the Ninth Annual Commercial Space Transportation Conference in Washington.

Mineta's comments came just months after SpaceShipOne, developed by US investors and space enthusiasts, snatched a 10 million dollar prize as the first private spacecraft to prove its mettle in two closely scheduled launches last October.

SpaceShipOne, developed by aviation pioneer Burt Rutan, also smashed the sub-orbital flight altitude record, reaching 112 kilometers (69.6 miles) in its nearly 90-minute second flight in five days.

In December, British Virgin Group tycoon Richard Branson announced plans to build a commercial spaceport in New Mexico to launch his new Virgin Galactic space tourism business based on a second-generation, eight-passenger SpaceShipTwo that Rutan is developing.

With the southwestern US state also putting money into the project, construction could start as early as this year.

Branson said Rutan's company, which is partly financed by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, plans to build five of the new spacecraft, as well as a launch vehicle for them.

The prototype is expected to be finished next year and test flights are to start in 2008, according to Virgin.

Tickets for the first flights, which could start in 2009-2010, are expected to cost about 200,000 dollars, and some 40,000 people have already signed up, the company said in December.
what commercial carrier?
xXx carlos xXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #16
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

^
United Spacelines.
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #17
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6200

Virgin has been talking about sending tourists to space for quite some time.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #18
Baianóide
BAHIA

Likes (Received): 35

Very expansive. I prefer to do a lot of another things.

O Brasil não é uma nação, são várias nações. Autonomia é o caminho. FEDERALISMO DE VERDADE JÁ!
Baianóide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #19
Archiconnoisseur

Likes (Received): 3

Archiconnoisseur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #20
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

Only if they had some resort floating around the planet...otherwise no.