search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure For projects and construction across the island of Ireland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:39 PM   #1261
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2109

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post

Frankly however, is that difficult to switch lines? It is only a 2 minute walk between the stops.
No but your BT bags are exposed to the elements and to junkies if you do.

daveydonnelly liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:50 PM   #1262
LXFlyer

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Haha - I suspect that people will cope.
They can still use the 145 from Dawson St if that’s an issue.
LXFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #1263
mjohnoston

Likes (Received): 772

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post

Sure you’ll still bump into them on the trams!
mjohnoston no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #1264
nopea

Likes (Received): 1

I am very happy to hear about imminent opening of the line! It will certainly connect the Broomsbridge area with the city center. The traffic jams on Cabra Road in the morning are terrible. I hope some of the commuters will switch to the tram.

There are of course speed to improve in following tram projects - which I hope will come! The travelling speed, while being at least twice faster than walk, is comparable to bicycle's, and is lower than e.g. tram in Porto. It is just about 17km/h, isn't it? I think fast trams do more than 25km/h, and regular metro 30-37km/h.
nopea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 12:01 AM   #1265
mjohnoston

Likes (Received): 772

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopea View Post
I am very happy to hear about imminent opening of the line! It will certainly connect the Broomsbridge area with the city center. The traffic jams on Cabra Road in the morning are terrible. I hope some of the commuters will switch to the tram.

There are of course speed to improve in following tram projects - which I hope will come! The travelling speed, while being at least twice faster than walk, is comparable to bicycle's, and is lower than e.g. tram in Porto. It is just about 17km/h, isn't it? I think fast trams do more than 25km/h, and regular metro 30-37km/h.
Hard to quantify the speed really - between Broombridge and Broadstone it will be able to travel at the full speed (which is 70km/h, but it may not necessarily reach those speeds in the distances between stops), between Broadstone and Parnell Street it'll probably have to be at the typical at-grade speeds. Between Parnell and SSG, I dunno what speed it'll end up attaining on a regular basis, but it may have to be slower, for example, the Red Line at-grade sections are because O'Connell Street and Westmoreland Areas are significantly more populated with pedestrians. The city centre, at-grade section is only about 2km long though (not including existing parts south of SSG), so that has to be taken into account too.

So in short, it's kind of impossible to put an exact figure on the average speed!
mjohnoston no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 12:45 AM   #1266
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
This seems to be in addition to the 7 54 metre trams ordered to facilitate expanded capacity on the Green line once Cross City comes into operation - Luas Green line to get longer trams in €89m investment.
Not sure that's a different thing. This 12m extension is simply the extension to 54 metres total, I think. Ross is an awful man for the re-announcements.
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 07:12 AM   #1267
LXFlyer

Likes (Received): 31

This is a different announcement.

Previously the only additional capacity was the addition of 7 new 54m trams.

Now, on top of that there will be a further 8 new 54m trams, and all of the existing Green Line tram fleet will be extended to (4m.
LXFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 10:45 PM   #1268
nopea

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnoston View Post
Hard to quantify the speed really (...)
So in short, it's kind of impossible to put an exact figure on the average speed!
Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance by total time. Specifically, 6.7 km[1] divided by 24 [2] minutes gives 16.75 km/h. I agree local speed may vary and will be higher between Broadstone and Broomsbridge and barely rolling down town.

[1] I understand the distance is 13.3km divided by 2? Or is it just 11.2km/2? If the latter, the average speed will be not so impressive 14km/h. If so, one would spend the money better by investing in bicycle roads...
https://www.engineersireland.ie/Engi...6.pdf?ext=.pdf
[2] time: http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/luas-cross-city
nopea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 11:57 PM   #1269
suasion

Likes (Received): 1793

I don't get the hang up about city centre speeds. Most trips thru the centre will be part pf a longer trip. I believe most passengers will be far happier being on a tram that only goes a bit above walking speed than carry on being dumped out at SSG and having no choice but to continue at walking speed.

Quote:
[1] I understand the distance is 13.3km divided by 2? Or is it just 11.2km/2? If the latter, the average speed will be not so impressive 14km/h. If so, one would spend the money better by investing in bicycle roads...
Another either/ or proposition when it comes to infrastructure. Bike lanes are relatively cheap bits of construction once the political will exists; and as demonstrated in numerous other cities, it is possible to have both tram and cycling infrastructure.

Markpb, geogregor liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM   #1270
Wilderbeast

Likes (Received): 2172

New trams delivered...

https://www.luascrosscity.ie/news/de...ndyford-depot/

geogregor liked this post
Wilderbeast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #1271
geogregor

Likes (Received): 17365